PDA

View Full Version : SAD syndrome

teenybash
06-Nov-08, 21:00
Many people suffer from SAD over the winter and the lack of sunlight can be quite debilitating.
Has anyone ever tried the lamps and if so do they work. :)

Gizmo
06-Nov-08, 22:06
I suffer from the 4 season version of this :(

Kevin Milkins
06-Nov-08, 23:31
We went to Gran Canaria for a holiday 14 years ago,in July and it was roasting hot.

When some freinds asked about our holiday we told them it was nice but much too hot for us.

They suggested going in November as the tempreture at that time of year is just right and you can enjoy some winter sunshine as well.

We took there advice and have been taking our holidays in the winter ever since.

The difference it makes to the way you feel having sunshine in the middle of winter is somthing you can not describe.

fingalmacool
07-Nov-08, 01:30
I think the first living things to suffer from sad was the old grizzly bear, so the only answer is hibernate!!!! I thank you:confused

Gizmo
07-Nov-08, 01:33
I think the first living things to suffer from sad was the old grizzly bear, so the only answer is hibernate!!!! I thank you:confused

I like it :D see you all in 6 months, i'm off for a snooze :)

lelebo
07-Nov-08, 09:37
Hi there

The lamps are very effective if used properly - usually about an hour a day is sufficient. In many scandinavian homes, they have a panel installed on the wall of one of their rooms (often the kitchen) so that they can easily top up. I run a holistic health & beauty website and treatment centre and being based in Caithness, one of the things I was keen to provide were light therapy units. PM me if you'd like some more info.

My website address is www.alternativevitality.co.uk - there's some more information there too :)

Angela
07-Nov-08, 10:02
Last winter another Orger very kindly passed her SAD lamp on to me, as she was upgrading to a more powerful one. I probably wasn't sufficiently convinced it would work to buy one for myself and was havering over what lamp to buy.

I use it for about an hour every morning and it does seem to make a real difference. Without it, I feel glum and lethargic, my sleeping pattern goes all wrong, and I just want to hibernate from the moment the clocks go back. :(

With it, I sleep better and feel a bit more cheerful and energised. :)

starry
07-Nov-08, 10:44
I get so down in winter it scares me, I try to do all the things suggested like getting out in my lunch hour for a walk, improve my diet etc but to be honest once December come not much makes a difference.

By Febuary March I can feel myself just hanging on in there waiting for the clock change.

I would love one of the lamps but they are very expensive.

Anne x
07-Nov-08, 10:56
Starry I have one try www.lifemaxuk.co.uk (http://www.lifemaxuk.co.uk) maybe the website will help
My lamp was about £80 it has two settings for full or half light I started to use it when the clocks changed

starry
07-Nov-08, 11:45
Thanks Anne x

horseman
07-Nov-08, 12:47
My wife tried some of those grossly over priced lamps- an it made not a bit of difference, sems like just another bit of our modern rip off culture..

lelebo
07-Nov-08, 13:04
perhaps her problem wasn't SAD?

horseman
07-Nov-08, 14:02
That was her diagnosis, sorry if it don't suit,an no intention what so ever to be nasty or whatever just saying it as it was.

Anne x
07-Nov-08, 14:22
I would not be without mine I have not had the benefit of a complete winter yet as I got for Xmas last year also I agree with Kevins theory of a drop of winter sunshine works wonders
we had 2 very Interesting threads on this subject last year 30/10/07 SAD Seasonal affective disorder and 01/01/08 SAD Solution
I am no good at showing threads link or I would link up

porshiepoo
07-Nov-08, 17:54
I'm dreading the loooooooooooong winter. I've been fighting Depression for a while now and finally feel that I have a hold on it and I really don't want the set back of winter.
On a brighter note though I booked our holidays to The Caribbean for January :), hopefully that'll help to prevent the worst of it.

Personally I haven't used the lamps but my brother says his son did and found it worked brilliantly.

lelebo
07-Nov-08, 17:58
absolutely no problem Horseman - I've found them to be very effective which is why I wanted to have them on my site. You do have to commit to using them regularly however. I hope your wife found another solution :)

Moira
07-Nov-08, 18:22
.................we had 2 very Interesting threads on this subject last year 30/10/07 SAD Seasonal affective disorder and 01/01/08 SAD Solution
I am no good at showing threads link or I would link up

Thanks Anne - I'd been looking for these. Here are the links:-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=35109&highlight=Seasonal+affective+disorder
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=38685

Anne x
07-Nov-08, 20:24
thanks a lot Moira I was hoping someone would come to my aid LOL

Anne

TBH
07-Nov-08, 20:55
There must be a lot of depressed people in Caithness then, not a lot of sunshine no matter what time of year it is.:lol:

Moira
07-Nov-08, 21:33
Not just in Caithness TBH. You can read a bit more about it here :-
http://www.sada.org.uk/index.htm

or by using a Google search, of course

twiglet
07-Nov-08, 21:39
I've just bought a low energy SAD lightbulb and use it for an hour a day. I find that it does help. Did look at buying a lamp but they were just too expensive.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 21:54
Not just in Caithness TBH. You can read a bit more about it here :-
http://www.sada.org.uk/index.htm

or by using a Google search, of courseIs This a common ailment in Caithness?

pat
07-Nov-08, 22:11
TBH

It is not only common in Caithness it is common all over the world in places where there is a lack or shortage of natural light/sunlight - Britiains mainly affected in winter months, it is much more common than people realise.

As Moira suggests you can read up on it - very informative stuff on the internet and not only from UK but many countries.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:13
TBH

It is not only common in Caithness it is common all over the world in places where there is a lack or shortage of natural light/sunlight - Britiains mainly affected in winter months, it is much more common than people realise.

As Moira suggests you can read up on it - very informative stuff on the internet and not only from UK but many countries.Thanks for that,
I will have a read up about it.
I always assumed that our bodies produced vitamin D through exposure to sunlight, wouldn't vitamin D help more than a light box or does that have the same effect?

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:13
I feel genuinely bad for you people who suffer with this ailment. I love this time of year - autumn into winter - I love the feeling of cosiness in the early evening of pulling the curtains and putting the light on. I do tend to like fairly depressing (I suppose some would say) landscapes - my walls are full of them - moody, cloudy pics. Horses for courses I suppose.

horseman
08-Nov-08, 00:25
Nicely put wifie,I like this part of the seasons to, but mrs' h -no way! I think our cure is to go out more often. Me I am a spring person:)

Anne x
08-Nov-08, 00:45
I feel genuinely bad for you people who suffer with this ailment. I love this time of year - autumn into winter - I love the feeling of cosiness in the early evening of pulling the curtains and putting the light on. I do tend to like fairly depressing (I suppose some would say) landscapes - my walls are full of them - moody, cloudy pics. Horses for courses I suppose.

I love long Autumn/Winter evenings lights on at 3.30 pm ! candles on to add to ambiance of cosy in by the fire nights as well although my walls are full of rather more upbeat prints each to there own
I suppose its the old story if you cannot see the broken limb or open wound it doesnt need fixing
I am a firm believer if any kind of Medicine be it Natural remedies, holistic , Antibiotic anything that can improve or help the afflicted if it makes a person whole again then go for it each to there own I suppose No one in this life gets off with some sort of affliction and if Lamps can help 0ne out of Ten so be it go for it

Anne x
08-Nov-08, 00:54
There must be a lot of depressed people in Caithness then, not a lot of sunshine no matter what time of year it is.:lol:

Very true but I dont live in Caithness anymore still we always have Candles

gleeber
08-Nov-08, 23:51
I imagine any kind of depression is depressing so any help to overcome it would be beneficial.
What about the other side of the coin though? Are the millions who suffer depression in the summer getting too much sunlight?
Depression is destructive and I suspect it's more widespread than we know.
The lights would probably be best used as part of a balanced therapuetic routine but without a disciplined approach and change of routine the lights, on their own, may be less effective.

Anne x
09-Nov-08, 00:30
Hey just a minute all you know Alls I do not suffer from Depression comprehendo !! understandy !!!
Other ailments maybe lol
what I do have problems with is SAD Seasonal dah deh deh dah defiency Now without going on and on again on yet another thread and another year like I said before if One lamp can help one in ten sufferers why not thanks for all your pms

If its not broke dont fix it !!

Welcomefamily
09-Nov-08, 00:53
Yes a October holiday always helps to give that little boost,

starry
09-Nov-08, 01:12
I've just bought a low energy SAD lightbulb and use it for an hour a day. I find that it does help. Did look at buying a lamp but they were just too expensive.

Can you tell me more about the lightbulbs

Thanks x

Fran
09-Nov-08, 03:35
I haVE TODAY ORDERED MY SAD LAMP FROM E-BAY. aFTER being told that a hospital is getting some sad lamps and on friends recommendations so i thought they must be good.

starry
09-Nov-08, 12:14
Which one did you get Fran ?

starry
09-Nov-08, 14:46
http://avonshop.co.uk/product/wellbeing/wellbeing-sleep/sunrise-alarm-clock.html

This is a good deal if anyone is looking for one of the clocks.
Also if you are ordering from the site you can get free delivery by using the code ATD.

x

gleeber
09-Nov-08, 16:55
Hey just a minute all you know Alls I do not suffer from Depression comprehendo !! understandy !!!
Other ailments maybe lol
I've always thought about SAD as a winter depression brought on by lack of daylight.
Your right. I know nothing about SAd but I know all about depression.:)