PDA

View Full Version : Missing houses Achingale Place, Watten

DM07
06-Nov-08, 20:37
Sorry to bother but I realise a few months back that house number 18-21 are missing from Achingale place in Watten. The street starts 1-46 but misses these 4 house numbers?
I have asked a few people who lived in the street for a while but they didnt actually realise they were missing!!
Im sure that they were maybe planned to be built but the builder ran out of money, or perhaps the place where they were to be built ended up not being suitable?
curiosity killed the cat as they say!!
Someone out there must know why as the houses werent built too long ago!

George Brims
06-Nov-08, 21:41
Well the builder was Geddes, but working for the council, not to produce houses for sale. I believe the houses that are missing would have gone opposite 23, 24, 25 & 26, the ones that face the main road. I don't know why they didn't build them however. It may have been because the space was too narrow. The first group of houses were built in the 1950s, and the majority of the houses were built some time in the 1960s. I know because we moved into no. 24 in May 1968! I think the pair closest to the primary school were added last.

Valerie Campbell
07-Nov-08, 15:10
On the plans I have, it says no buildings were to be erected opposite 23-26. Don't know why. Nos 1 - 5 were built in 1953 with the rest built between 1956 through to 1964. Seems strange they missed out some numbers though.

anneoctober
07-Nov-08, 15:16
On the plans I have, it says no buildings were to be erected opposite 23-26. Don't know why. Nos 1 - 5 were built in 1953 with the rest built between 1956 through to 1964. Seems strange they missed out some numbers though.
I strongly suspect George Brims has them over in LA............ as a reminder of home.........[lol]