PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy fresh foods locally?

hotrod4
06-Nov-08, 16:14
Ther has been a bit of interest recently about "local" shopping.
Just wondering how other orgers shop. Not being nosy! Just curious as to what percentage still use Butchers,fishmongers etc.

mums angels
06-Nov-08, 16:22
I buy most of my meat from the butchers , all fish from the fishmongers , eggs i get from my father in laws hens , jam from his neigbour everything else from the supermarkets.

sweetpea
06-Nov-08, 16:28
I go to the butchers and fish shop all the time. I buy free range eggs when I can and have been growing my own veg. I haven't shopped in Tesco or co-op for a long time. I buy staples from Lidl. I sometimes go to veg shop in the victorian market in Inverness when I'm there. I try to buy fresh and local as much as I can.

arana negra
06-Nov-08, 16:29
When I lived in Scotland I used butcher and supermarket was not a much of a fish eater other than the chippie :)

When I lived in England I used both butcher/market and supermarkets for meat and fish.

Now I am in Spain, we use a butcher occasionally (not many been found yet ) supermarkets for fish also one in particular has a superb selection.

Julia
06-Nov-08, 17:11
I get my eggs locally, free range of course. I only buy sausages and bones for the dog from the butchers, everything else I'm afraid is from a supermarket.

changilass
06-Nov-08, 17:48
If it don't come out of the garden it comes out of either tesco or lidle.

If its a special occasion or we have a bitty extra money, then its bews butchers for fillet steak and black pudding.

Solus
06-Nov-08, 17:50
All my meat comes from the butcher, in Wick the butcher is great, better produce than a supermarket, competative prices and you know where the meat is coming from.

Bakers get my trade also, my only wish is that there was a dedicated fruit and veg shop. Tesco only gets our trade for everyday items like shampoo's and such products, also i have found that lidl have a far better quality of veg than Tesco.

janemac
06-Nov-08, 18:01
All my meat and some veg comes from Donalds butchers in Latheronwheel - best butcher ever! Waiting for the hens to start laying then we'll have our own eggs and going to get my veg plot going next year.

Only ever go into Lidl for bits and bobs. Would rather always buy from a local shop than go into a big store.

Homegrown veg/handpicked fruit and local meat tastes so much better than anything from a supermarket! :)

wifie
06-Nov-08, 18:09
Always buy meat from farm shops (there are a few round about us here in Perthshire). Used to use a good butchers in town but it has gotten very big and the quality is just not there any more sadly! Eggs are free range from the farm shops also - they are marvelous. I would like to use a good bakers but they are all chains and supermarket is probably a bit cheaper. Fruit and veg is mixed - depends what looks nice and where it comes from. I like the farmers' markets in Edinburgh and Perth - great range of products and mostly friendly, knowledgable staff.

badger
06-Nov-08, 18:15
There was a report in the paper recently about a new shop in Wick which sells local produce - I think it's in the old Lunch Box shop somewhere near the Library?

Boss
06-Nov-08, 18:34
We are producers and are finding great difficulty in selling locally,
we ourselves buy direct from the producer where possible,
We do buy dairy products from shops but other than that we make our own.
We are somewhat surprised that more of the locals do not appear to be at all interested in utilizing the larder on their door step, or the abundance of wild food.

We are surrounded by natural resources but few use them.

hotrod4
06-Nov-08, 18:51
We are producers and are finding great difficulty in selling locally,
we ourselves buy direct from the producer where possible,
We do buy dairy products from shops but other than that we make our own.
We are somewhat surprised that more of the locals do not appear to be at all interested in utilizing the larder on their door step, or the abundance of wild food.

We are surrounded by natural resources but few use them.

Have you tried contacting whoever runs the saturday market in Wick? They may be able to help with a stall etc.Or if its veg etc then maybe a butcher may buy some.
TBH I think the reason that alot buy meat etc from supermarkets is down to it being "all under one roof". As now most high streets dont have butcher,fishmonger baker close together.I think it also has alot to do with people dont have alot of time or money to shop around,its a pity but just the way the world is.

floyed
06-Nov-08, 18:55
I buy most of my stuff from supermarket, except meat i get from the butcher. Occasionally get bread and rolls from bakers:D

Lavenderblue2
06-Nov-08, 19:20
I buy my bread from Reids Bakers

Butcher meat from Bews Butcher - fresh eggs from here too supplied by Mrs Todd of Hoy. Bews also have a wonderful range of special groceries.

Fish from the fish shop in middle of town - I can't remember what name it has now.

I also go out to Halkirk to the shop there where they have some excellent produce - their Coleslaw is to die for.

For all other things I use both of the supermarkets in Thurso.

Bad Manners
06-Nov-08, 20:02
Fresh meat from the local butcher is the best especially our butcher in wick
I am not a fish person and have to rely on supermarket for the veg we dont grow.
I think it is always false economy to buy cut price from the supermarket as quality is compromised.

teenybash
06-Nov-08, 20:52
Most of my veg comes from lidl......I don't eat 4 legged meat and usually buy chicken from supermarket.........but can do without it easily.
Next year plan to grow all my own veg and my hens supply all the eggs I need.

sjr014
06-Nov-08, 22:00
Always buy my meat from the butchers, and local neeps and tatties. Bakers for my rolls and a cake or 2! Have bought eggs from the market on the street on a Saturday and they are lovely what a difference the yolks are a really bright orange compared 2 the supermarket ones!

Whitewater
06-Nov-08, 23:36
Buy all butcher meat from local butcher, cut and weight as I require, also eggs, tatties, neeps and some veg. Other fruit, veg and cheese from supermarket as they have larger selection. Buy all fish from local shops. Milk also from supermarket as all local milk goes south to be processed, no longer any local suppliers.

Boss
07-Nov-08, 18:38
Hotrod4,

Thank you for the tip on the Saturday Market in Wick, we shall certainly give that some thought.
Is it a Farmer's market?

Dorrie
07-Nov-08, 18:41
All of my meat comes from local butchers so we know where it comes from, fish bought from the fish shops in Thurso, we have hens and a good veg garden this year, but I will never buy a "neep" from Tesco's again! I buy them from the butchers now since I bought one from Tesco and it was awful, I had to pick it all out of a pan of soup it was so bad! Threw it all away then. Local is definately best. I think that Boss should contact locel butchers as well.

Boss
07-Nov-08, 18:50
Thank you Dorrie, we did, they are not interested, however, the Wick Abattoir has shown some small interest.

I too, on occasion buy from a local butcher, but alas! more often than not I am disappointed buy the quality of meat purchased.

hotrod4
07-Nov-08, 18:59
Hotrod4,

Thank you for the tip on the Saturday Market in Wick, we shall certainly give that some thought.
Is it a Farmer's market?

It has all sorts, there is veg, eggs etc. Havent been for a while (I really must go again)

Boss
07-Nov-08, 19:01
Thank you again Hotrod4, we shall make enquiry.

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 20:10
I wish there was more dairy widely available and I could get my own hens but right now not possible. I am going to try the veg from the place where the lunchbox used to be.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 21:02
Buying local produce is all well and good if you can afford to pay the prices the local shops charge.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 21:33
Buying local produce is all well and good if you can afford to pay the prices the local shops charge.
Depends what you buy and how you cook it TBH. I don't buy the rubbish (I am not saying you do) that I see in some folks trolleys and I do buy good meat but probably spend less on my weekly shop than most. I am able to buy a piece of boiling beef for pennies in one farm shop that makes a whole pan of broth!

TBH
07-Nov-08, 21:43
Depends what you buy and how you cook it TBH. I don't buy the rubbish (I am not saying you do) that I see in some folks trolleys and I do buy good meat but probably spend less on my weekly shop than most. I am able to buy a piece of boiling beef for pennies in one farm shop that makes a whole pan of broth!
Define your weekly shop, i.e, could you spend say £100 on groceries, shopping locally and get more for your money than you would if you had shopped at various supermarkets?

wifie
07-Nov-08, 21:54
OK well I feel I did define my weekly shop earlier in this thread. I do buy meat and eggs locally usually spending £15 - £20 (we only eat meat Fri, Sat, Sun). I usually spend about £50 - £60 in Tescos because as I have explained I don't see any better value in the bakers because they are chains. I buy staples - milk, butter, bread, baking requisites, lentils, barley, pasta, toiletries and cleaning/washing products. I am mixed where I buy veg depends what I fancy and what it looks like - but I don't like it to have too many miles on the clock. I always buy local soft fruit when in season. I would love to grow my own veg but my garden dictates otherwise as does my gardening talents.
Hope this answers yer question TBH :D

TBH
07-Nov-08, 21:57
OK well I feel I did define my weekly shop earlier in this thread. I do buy meat and eggs locally usually spending £15 - £20 (we only eat meat Fri, Sat, Sun). I usually spend about £50 - £60 in Tescos because as I have explained I don't see any better value in the bakers because they are chains. I buy staples - milk, butter, bread, baking requisites, lentils, barley, pasta, toiletries and cleaning/washing products. I am mixed where I buy veg depends what I fancy and what it looks like - but I don't like it to have too many miles on the clock. I always buy local soft fruit when in season. I would love to grow my own veg but my garden dictates otherwise as does my gardening talents.
Hope this answers yer question TBH :DSo the majority of your spend would go to the supermarket the same as it does for many families.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:05
OK so where are they likely to grow lentils in Perthshire? The local shop in my village does not sell the things I buy - not my fault! But I do care where my meat comes from and how it is raised and I can never see Tesco or any other supermarket doing that. I do my bit and no one can do anymore than their bit! BTW I do not add miles to my journey searching out good meat, as is sarcastically quoted by many anti-organic, etc people, as the farm shop is on my way and the organic farm is within walking distance for me! I know this is not feasible for everyone but the point I am making is I have my principles and I try to do the right thing whatever that is! I thank you! ;)

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:09

I find it's cheaper in a lot of ways. No pot noodles or ready made foods means you have to take care of the ingredients you have and make the best of them. Less wastage and tastier meals.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:17
OK so where are they likely to grow lentils in Perthshire? The local shop in my village does not sell the things I buy - not my fault! But I do care where my meat comes from and how it is raised and I can never see Tesco or any other supermarket doing that. I do my bit and no one can do anymore than their bit! BTW I do not add miles to my journey searching out good meat, as is sarcastically quoted by many anti-organic, etc people, as the farm shop is on my way and the organic farm is within walking distance for me! I know this is not feasible for everyone but the point I am making is I have my principles and I try to do the right thing whatever that is! I thank you! ;)
If your local shops sold everything you need then you would most likely, still pay more for it than you would in the supermarkets. Every one has principles but not everyone can afford to live by them.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:19
I find it's cheaper in a lot of ways. No pot noodles or ready made foods means you have to take care of the ingredients you have and make the best of them. Less wastage and tastier meals.It may be tastier but it will most probably be dearer.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:20
If your local shops sold everything you need then you would most likely, still pay more for it than you would in the supermarkets. Every one has principles but not everyone can afford to live by them.

I agree you must cut your coat according to your cloth - that is why we only eat meat at the weekend. I would rather pay more but eat less of it!

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:22
I don't have a lot of money but I prioritise what I spend it on.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:25
I agree you must cut your coat according to your cloth - that is why we only eat meat at the weekend. I would rather pay more but eat less of it!Then I applaud your stance but I also applaud those that are feeding their families the best they can. The quality may not be there but the quantity is and that is what matter when you are working on a tight budget.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:27
I don't have a lot of money but I prioritise what I spend it on.Most poorer families have always prioritised what they spend their money on hence why they would rather get perhaps twice the quantity for the same price.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:28
Then I applaud your stance but I also applaud those that are feeding their families the best they can. The quality may not be there but the quantity is and that is what matter when you are working on a tight budget.

I have to disagree - I would choose quality over quantity any day! As you can see from the monetary amounts I quoted previously I probably spend an awful lot less than most on my weekly shop - which is for four! I also don't have an overflowing dustbin full of packaging from ready meals and rubbish!

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:32
Most poorer families have always prioritised what they spend their money on hence why they would rather get perhaps twice the quantity for the same price.

I don't think that's case.

sweetpea
07-Nov-08, 22:35
I don't think that's case.

I still reckon that these 'poor families' have half a brain and realise that when they are standing at the oven door serving 'turkey twizlerrs' they are doing a bad thing. Education, education, education.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:38
I have to disagree - I would choose quality over quantity any day! As you can see from the monetary amounts I quoted previously I probably spend an awful lot less than most on my weekly shop - which is for four! I also don't have an overflowing dustbin full of packaging from ready meals and rubbish!Maybe you can afford to live this way but trust me, many can't. Principles do not put food on the table, that is a fact. While we would all like our children to have the best quality food that money can buy, the difference in quality is negligible in the fact that nobody I know that buys the cheaper brands, cheaper cuts of meats, etc, has had any problems with their children developing into strong and healthy adults.;)

wifie
07-Nov-08, 22:46
Maybe you can afford to live this way but trust me, many can't. Principles do not put food on the table, that is a fact. While we would all like our children to have the best quality food that money can buy, the difference in quality is negligible in the fact that nobody I know that buys the cheaper brands, cheaper cuts of meats, etc, has had any problems with their children developing into strong and healthy adults.;)

TBH are you reading my posts? I have just told you that I can make a whole pot of broth out of one tiny and very cheap piece of boiling beef on the bone. I do think good meat is probably overpriced but at the same time I would rather buy this and know where it came from than some anonymous meat from some far flung country where we have no idea of their controls or methods. It must make you suspicious when meat can be labelled as being from this country even if all that has happened to it here is being put in the packaging. I know also that unless you grow it, kill it and cook it yourself you will never truly know what you are eating but I, like I said before, try my best.

Ricco
07-Nov-08, 22:49
I do prefer to shop small and local; sadly, around here most have succumbed to the big conglomerate supermarkets. Fresh fish I only have when I go fishing (I refuse to eat that long dead tripe from supermarkets). I now try to grow much of my own veg, so we tend to buy free range meat whenever possible and rely on the s_market for fruit.

TBH
07-Nov-08, 22:54
TBH are you reading my posts? I have just told you that I can make a whole pot of broth out of one tiny and very cheap piece of boiling beef on the bone. I do think good meat is probably overpriced but at the same time I would rather buy this and know where it came from than some anonymous meat from some far flung country where we have no idea of their controls or methods. It must make you suspicious when meat can be labelled as being from this country even if all that has happened to it here is being put in the packaging. I know also that unless you grow it, kill it and cook it yourself you will never truly know what you are eating but I, like I said before, try my best.But I could make four pans of broth out of a bigger cut of meat from a supermarket, then have four pots of stew with the beef.;)

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:08
But I could make four pans of broth out of a bigger cut of meat from a supermarket, then have four pots of stew with the beef.;)

Man yer cookery skills must be amazing! I would love to see you gettin all that stew from a piece of boiling beef! Did you get the recipe from the Loaves and Fishes cookbook? ;)

Boozeburglar
07-Nov-08, 23:10
I garotte sheep in the nearby field by moonlight, and drink them fresh and sweet.

Other than that I always buy my local newspaper.

:)

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:12
Man yer cookery skills must be amazing! I would love to see you gettin all that stew from a piece of boiling beef! Did you get the recipe from the Loaves and Fishes cookbook? I take issue with you questioning my culinary skills, How dare you.[disgust]
My stew is delicious, no much meat but plenty veg and if you get some meat, it's a bonus which makes it all the more appealing, even fun.:roll:

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:13
I garotte sheep in the nearby field by moonlight, and drink them fresh and sweet.

:)That's what is called, "using you initiative", it can always be used after that, as cheap toilet roll.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:14
I take issue with you questioning my culinary skills, How dare you.[disgust]
My stew is delicious, no much meat but plenty veg and if you get some meat, it's a bonus which makes it all the more appealing, even fun.:roll:

Far from questioning them I was complimenting them! What do you call the recipe - Stew Surprise? :lol:

footie chick
07-Nov-08, 23:19
IMO I can feed us all for alot less if I get butcher meat rather than supermarket stuff. After butcher stew and tatties we are so full up that we don't reach for the biscuit tin.

For me the taste is second to none ie supermarket fillet steak is like eating cardboard that cost near on £10.00 + for 2 bits you get two bits from the butcher that melts in your mouth and the flavour yumm. I know what I want for dinner tomorrow night :lol:

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:19
Far from questioning them I was complimenting them! What do you call the recipe - Stew Surprise? :lol:No, my kids call it, "I am surprised you have the cheek to call that stew".

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:22
No, my kids call it, "I am surprised you have the cheek to call that stew".

Is that where they got the idea for the name of that margarine - "I Can't Believe It's Not B....." ? :lol:

TBH
07-Nov-08, 23:25
Is that where they got the idea for the name of that margarine - "I Can't Believe It's Not B....." ? :lol:Hell, they couldn't believe it was edible half the time.[lol]

wifie
07-Nov-08, 23:39
Hell, they couldn't believe it was edible half the time.[lol]

Aha! So now you admit that quality wins over quantity! [lol] YES!

TBH
08-Nov-08, 00:10
Aha! So now you admit that quality wins over quantity! [lol] YES!|Taste wise maybe, maybe not, but many can make their money go further by buying cheaper, i.e, supermarkets.

wifie
08-Nov-08, 00:14
|Taste wise maybe, maybe not, but many can make their money go further by buying cheaper, i.e, supermarkets.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree Mr H - you shop your way and I'll shop mine! :)

TBH
08-Nov-08, 00:24
Perhaps we should agree to disagree Mr H - you shop your way and I'll shop mine! :)That's right, you retire from the debate gracefully.[lol]

bettedaviseyes
08-Nov-08, 00:25
just a little fact did you know that red meat does not digest it rotts in your bowls and pourifies yuk:eek:

TBH
08-Nov-08, 00:29
just a little fact did you know that red meat does not digest it rotts in your bowls and pourifies yuk:eek:That's not true Betty.

wifie
08-Nov-08, 00:30
That's right, you retire from the debate gracefully.

I shall! :Razz

just a little fact did you know that red meat does not digest it rotts in your bowls and pourifies yuk

Good job I eat loads of lentils to counteract that then! ;)

TBH
08-Nov-08, 00:34
Good job I eat loads of lentils to counteract that then! ;)Spoken like a true Hippy.;)

wifie
08-Nov-08, 00:39
Spoken like a true Hippy.;)

Peace and Love TBH - but yer no gettin an autograph! ;)

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 14:58

:)

Nice one,made me laugh [lol]

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 15:03
Maybe you can afford to live this way but trust me, many can't. Principles do not put food on the table, that is a fact. While we would all like our children to have the best quality food that money can buy, the difference in quality is negligible in the fact that nobody I know that buys the cheaper brands, cheaper cuts of meats, etc, has had any problems with their children developing into strong and healthy adults.;)

You are right that cheaper cuts of meat can be better.(as long as its not in a paprika based stew)
I love shoulder of lamb for starters. And if I fancy a steak i would rather just get a thick bit of "frying" steak, lightly fry in garlic and then simmer with some wine which will help soften the meat. I cant eat Roast pork as it stinks, but I love red pudding!!!. My body seems to be a finley tuned machine which runs on only the cheapest of fuel!!! [lol]

wifie
08-Nov-08, 18:35
You are right that cheaper cuts of meat can be better.(as long as its not in a paprika based stew)
I love shoulder of lamb for starters. And if I fancy a steak i would rather just get a thick bit of "frying" steak, lightly fry in garlic and then simmer with some wine which will help soften the meat. I cant eat Roast pork as it stinks, but I love red pudding!!!. My body seems to be a finley tuned machine which runs on only the cheapest of fuel!!! [lol]

What does the paprika do to it?
I should have added that whilst I buy my meat locally there are a range of cuts and indeed meats available all of which are not really expensive as could be seen from the amount I spend.

hotrod4
08-Nov-08, 18:55
What does the paprika do to it?.
You dont wanna know!! ;)

del 123
08-Nov-08, 19:02
just a little fact did you know that red meat does not digest it rotts in your bowls and pourifies yuk:eek:

my goodness,its getting to the stage that you can not eat or drink anything! You never seem to hear about how good things can be for you. I think local shops are very competitive,free range eggs are cheaper is some local shops,than in tesco. I also think SUPERMARKETS,SOME of their meat is more expensive.

Boss
09-Nov-08, 17:53
I would not buy an egg from a supermarket nor any other place claiming their eggs are free range.
I have seen hens "free range" and they are not my idea of free range at all.

Penelope Pitstop
10-Nov-08, 13:23
I buy 100% of our meat and fish from the local butcher and fishmonger. Free range eggs from butchers. Veg and milk usually always from supermarket.

Boozeburglar
10-Nov-08, 19:38
I get all my eggs from battery hens. I cannot stomach the idea of the poor wee things having to scratch around in mud and suffer the rain. Least I know the caged hens are comfy and warm, and dont have to worry about foxes! It is much safer for them being restrained from flying, hens really dont know what they are doing in the sky.

Razz
11-Nov-08, 16:56
We get our lamb. beef and pork from local farms. Venison from local people. Fish during the summer straight from the sea or lochs. Eggs from Halkirk, although I will be getting my own hens after the new year, and will be growing my own veg etc next year. Have also started making my own bread.

Lavenderblue2
11-Nov-08, 18:56
I would not buy an egg from a supermarket nor any other place claiming their eggs are free range.
I have seen hens "free range" and they are not my idea of free range at all.

I agree with you there Boss. I'd rather not eat eggs than buy them from a supermarket.
Like Raz I will be replacing my hens as soon as I get a new hen house.

Gizmo
11-Nov-08, 19:00
I agree with you there Boss. I'd rather not eat eggs than buy them from a supermarket.

Agreed, i stopped eating supermarket eggs around 8 years ago, they are just not fresh by any stretch of the imagination.

kitty kat
11-Nov-08, 19:30
so far only 17% have voted to always eating fresh

Boss
12-Nov-08, 16:27

We have hens, proper free range hens who sometimes fly, they have a their own quarters but prefer to sleep wherever,
their eggs are good, the yolk is colour orange and the whites thick as they should be, our only problem is actually finding the eggs! :)

sweetpea
14-Nov-08, 01:27
I was on a fishing trip and got a couple of bass, an octopus and a few sardine type things.