PDA

View Full Version : the red cross lady

miss swanson
06-Nov-08, 10:15
hey has anyone seen the red cross lady?shes knocking on doors apparently askin for your bank details which i thot was weird enough then i seen her goin around my area at like half 9 at nite thats not normal is it?

Ash
06-Nov-08, 10:18
she was at my parents door the other day, my brother answered the door, he said he thought she was gonna hand him a bag to put money in which he was quite happy to do but then she asked for his bank details and of course he said no.... with all the things that are going on nowadays you cant take the risk

miss swanson
06-Nov-08, 10:24
i dont think people would mind handin money in a bag but to ask for bank details was a bit much especially with the things thats goin on these days my boyfriends a painter and decorator and was doin a house she was at yesterday n the owners told her they were tight up as they hav a kid and its cummin upto xmas then she asked my boyfriend for his details he told her he doesnt no them as he doesnt carry them to work n she turned round n said to him dont lie i thot wat a cheek!!!

Penelope Pitstop
06-Nov-08, 10:50
She came to my Mum's door on Tuesday night at the back of 8pm. She too wanted my Mum to sign up to pay out a monthly sum - and of course give her bank details. As it was dark she said to my Mum that it would be better if she (the red cross person) came into the house.....she didn't get in. Not sure if she is a genuine Red Cross Collector??? Anyone know if they are collecting in the evenings just now? (My Mum would never think to ask for ID - if they have it)

binbob
06-Nov-08, 10:52
She came to my Mum's door on Tuesday night at the back of 8pm. She too wanted my Mum to sign up to pay out a monthly sum - and of course give her bank details. As it was dark she said to my Mum that it would be better if she (the red cross person) came into the house.....she didn't get in. Not sure if she is a genuine Red Cross Collector??? Anyone know if they are collecting in the evenings just now? (My Mum would never think to ask for ID - if they have it)

she can not be bona fide...i would tell the red cross and the police.it could very intimidating for an elderly person.

miss swanson
06-Nov-08, 10:53
i dont no but wat about askin in the red cross shop do u think they would no?

Bad Manners
06-Nov-08, 10:57
I think it very odd what this person is doing however I must be one of the bad ones as I think it is all begging and you are put on the spot and expected to donate.
I do donate to charity but it is to charities of my own choosing and for my own reasons They all get a monthly sum(which is tax deductable which means you can give a little more). There was a time I beleive it was Christian Aid that left a leaflet and a donation envelope to be collected at a later time This appears to be a sencible way to collect as you are not forced into an on the spot decision you can decide at what level you wish to support a charity.
I hope this does not sound to harsh but it gives traceability you know that the amount you give is going in full to the charity you intend

ANNIE
06-Nov-08, 11:02
I had a male at my door think it was last Friday also asking for bank details but told I didn't hand them out he tried his best and sat for ages talkin total drivel so sent him away with no details and told if I do want to make a donation I would do it on the net or at my local red cross. What I found strange was he had just been to Girnigoe st then to my door and then was making to Kennedy terrace seems a bit odd being scattered like that you think it would be just one area at a time. Anyway I thought it was dodgy

Tighsonas4
06-Nov-08, 11:07
this lady has been out in the staxigoe area about a week ago so i heard
if i want to support the red cross or poppy appeal or anything else i dont need looking for my bank details by her or anyone else at the door
she wont be long at this door with a yarn like that tony

Venture
06-Nov-08, 11:49
I think you'll find if you check it out that this is genuinely the Red Cross. The bank details you give are no more than you would supply to anyone you were setting up a by direct debit with. Each person had official identification with them and supplied a telephone number if you wanted to check it out. If you contact the Support Care Team on 0844 87 10087 they will answer any concerns you have or by emailing supportercare@redcross.org.uk . The official Red Cross website is www.redcross.org.uk (http://www.redcross.org.uk) Here you can view their work.

Fair enough we have to be cautious in this day and age but such a well known organisation as the Red Cross can easily be checked out. They are only trying to find another method whereby folk will donate. A very difficult thing to do considering how many charities want our money today.

Torvaig
06-Nov-08, 12:08
I have reported these people and have just been talking to someone from the Red Cross by telephone. London office employ agencies to do this fund raising and they are in our area just now and quite genuine.

I told him that their methods do not work up here, that they have upset a lot of people and are spoiling the good name of the Red Cross. I also said that folks up here are very generous to charities and it is a shame that these people are coming here with their slick sales tactics.

He was very interested, said there has been a new company hired by the London Office and he will let them know of our concerns. I gave him the address of this thread so that he can have a look for himself as to how people have reacted.

I had a lady at my door on Tuesday night and it was just like talking to a kitchen or double glazing salesperson and that is not a compliment! They have alienated a few people on here; how many more?

Torvaig
06-Nov-08, 12:09
Oops Venture, duplicate posting; thanks for that....:)

Penelope Pitstop
06-Nov-08, 12:10
I think you'll find if you check it out that this is genuinely the Red Cross. The bank details you give are no more than you would supply to anyone you were setting up a by direct debit with. Each person had official identification with them and supplied a telephone number if you wanted to check it out. If you contact the Support Care Team on 0844 87 10087 they will answer any concerns you have or by emailing supportercare@redcross.org.uk . The official Red Cross website is www.redcross.org.uk (http://www.redcross.org.uk) Here you can view their work.

Fair enough we have to be cautious in this day and age but such a well known organisation as the Red Cross can easily be checked out. They are only trying to find another method whereby folk will donate. A very difficult thing to do considering how many charities want our money today.

I think it's a better idea to ask local people to do the collecting (not always possible, I know).

Personally, I hate folk coming to the door collecting - if I want to donate I'll do it under my own steam. Out on the streets I don't mind - but don't like them in my "space".

It can be very intimidating for elderly folk too - especially with the dark nights now upon us. I know my Mum locks the door after tea time as she doesn't hear too well and says that anyone could be in the house and she would never know!!!

Kevin Milkins
06-Nov-08, 12:16
I had a male at my door think it was last Friday also asking for bank details but told I didn't hand them out he tried his best and sat for ages talkin total drivel so sent him away with no details and told if I do want to make a donation I would do it on the net or at my local red cross. What I found strange was he had just been to Girnigoe st then to my door and then was making to Kennedy terrace seems a bit odd being scattered like that you think it would be just one area at a time. Anyway I thought it was dodgy

This guy came to the our door last Friday as well.
He called in the morning while I was on the phone and Mrs M was about to shower and sent him off. He then called about 7-30 in the evening while I was cooking dinner. He looked a bit scared when I opened the door with a large kitchen knife in my hand.:eek:.
He was far to pally for me to stand and listen to his pitch so off he went again.

Bad Manners
06-Nov-08, 13:15
Many thanks to Venture and Torvaig for contacting the red cross regarding this I feel very sad that they have chosen this methord of enlisting more funds IMO they would be better off giving out a direct debit form and having the doorstepers explain why they think you should support this charity in this way if you wish to contribute you can do so by filling in the form and posting it back or by using the web.
I already give to this charity however if they continue with this inappropriate behavior I might have to review my position on supporting them.
They are a worthwhile charity but to go down this route to me is wrong with all the security warnings from banks etc people would feel better using a secure methord of donating certainly not giving bank details to an unknown third party who MAY use them for other matters

floyed
06-Nov-08, 13:19
I Live in wick and had a guy last week come to the door asking for bank details for some charity. There is no way i would give bank details to anyone especially some stranger at my door!

Kodiak
06-Nov-08, 13:56
If anyone comes to your door and asks for your Bank Details etc and say it is for Charity then do what I did the last year.

I said hand on a sec and I will get the details. I nipped into the house picked up my Digital Compact and before she knew what was happeing I took her photograph.

I then advised her the photograph would be handed to the police within the next 5 minutes. She stood there for about 2 seconds and then quickly turned and walked very quickly away and that was the last I saw of her.

I did not hand into the Police as unfortunately I took the picture too fast as I did not really look at what I was taking and only got her right shoulder, but she did not know this.

Julia
06-Nov-08, 14:59
she can not be bona fide...i would tell the red cross and the police.it could very intimidating for an elderly person.

I too phoned the Red Cross to check that the chap at my door was bona fide. Surely the female collector is putting herself at risk collecting on her own in the dark. When I did door-to-door sales I was always instructed never to go into anyone's house.

hell raizer
06-Nov-08, 15:09
the lassie that was at my door on tuesday seemed to be in a right ravel we herself, she came to me twice :roll: she was a bit pushy for my liking

henry20
06-Nov-08, 18:27
the lassie that was at my door on tuesday seemed to be in a right ravel we herself, she came to me twice :roll: she was a bit pushy for my liking

Hubby answered door to her last night and couldn't get rid of her despite telling her that we weren't in a position to donate any money - we already donate to charities we choose to.

Elenna
06-Nov-08, 18:36
This guy came to the our door last Friday as well.
He called in the morning while I was on the phone and Mrs M was about to shower and sent him off. He then called about 7-30 in the evening while I was cooking dinner. He looked a bit scared when I opened the door with a large kitchen knife in my hand.:eek:.
He was far to pally for me to stand and listen to his pitch so off he went again.

If it was a thin, dark-haired lad, then it was the same one came to us about lunchtime, but I can't recall what day. Had on a tabard-like black jacket with British Red Cross on it, and was carrying a packet of paperwork in a plastic sleeve, also with British Red Cross along the top of it. He seemed to fancy himself a bit of a comedian, as every sentence of his 'patter' was apparently supposed to be funny, and finished with hehehe :roll: I wasnt impressed, and sent him on his way...Saltire phoned the Wick Police a few minutes later to see if they knew anything about collectors in the area, and they didnt.

It isnt likely I would donate to someone coming round the door, anyway, but I certainly wouldnt set up a direct debit for a weekly donation that way!

poppett
07-Nov-08, 16:19
Lady trying to get folk to sign up in Thurso today round the Pennyland scheme. She was not surprised when she got few takers.

loobyloo
07-Nov-08, 16:48
I had the 'smarmy guy' round too. I believe he is genuinely collecting for the Red Cross but he didn't project a very good image. Half the time he was mumbling and he was like a car salesman. He basically invited himself in. I didn't like to say no because I admire the work the Red Cross do.
They are all staying in Melvich (!) cos their boss thought it was close to Wick. He told me they had informed the police they would be collecting in the area (Thurso and Wick). Supposedly, they have broken all previous records for donations, in Caithness, so it's likely to become a regular occurence!!!!!!

Kevin Milkins
07-Nov-08, 17:16
What concerns me most about this type of sales pitch is its done behind the veneer of a well respected charitable organization.

It has already been pointed out that the collectors of our personall details are in fact a private company that are contracted to the red cross.

It makes me wonder if their sales reps are vetted and how safe are our bank details with these people.

What is stopping these people making a copy of our details for use other than that its intended direct debit to the red cross . I think in the future if we had problems with fraud from our account it would be diffucult to prove the connection.:confused

wifie
07-Nov-08, 17:17
I find this whole situation rather disturbing. Several points spring to mind. The woman collecting later in the evening in the dark and also asking to come into your home. The bank details required would be simple and nothing more than you would provide by handing over a cheque but I still would not be giving these out to someone who called at my door. I would not ring a number provided by the caller either - who is to say that this is not the number of an accomplice waiting for the call.
I do understand that charities must find it hard these days to come up with ways of getting donations but I find this a very poor method.

pat
07-Nov-08, 17:24
I imagine these people are similar to when you are shopping in a city, usually main street, there are these usually young folk who try to get you to sign up to donate to sightsavers, children in India, children in need, NSPCC, etc now they are to trying to get us at home - too many of us saying on the street 'dont have bank details on me'

I would not be divulging my details to anyone who came to my door either.

Bad Manners
07-Nov-08, 17:25
What concerns me most about this type of sales pitch is its done behind the veneer of a well respected charitable organization.

It has already been pointed out that the collectors of our personall details are in fact a private company that are contracted to the red cross.

It makes me wonder if their sales reps are vetted and how safe are our bank details with these people.

What is stopping these people making a copy of our details for use other than that its intended direct debit to the red cross . I think in the future if we had problems with fraud from our account it would be diffucult to prove the connection.:confused

Its the point I was trying to make the goverment can't keep track of all the personel data what chance have we got with a private company it only takes one dishonest person to use the data for their own ends or worse sell it on to others I never give anyone any details unless I can verify to my satisfaction they are genuine.

jm.mack
07-Nov-08, 17:36
We too had somebody at our door (Heathfield area of Thurso) asking us to provide bank details in order to set up a direct debit to the Red Cross. We declined as we would never give out or details to persons unknown. Don't know whether this was a scam or not but on returning to work offshore today one of my colleagues advised he too had been asked via a door to door Red Cross person to set up a direct debit, he lives in Fife.................

Interesting to see if this is a scam or not.

Buttercup
07-Nov-08, 20:34
I too phoned the Red Cross to check that the chap at my door was bona fide. Surely the female collector is putting herself at risk collecting on her own in the dark. When I did door-to-door sales I was always instructed never to go into anyone's house.

While one was at my door there was another of them at the other side of the street. Found her VERY pushy and keen to get into the house. She was being overly friendly and waffled out her lines at breakneck speed. The only thing in her favour was that when I told her that I already make monthly donations to my own favourite charity, she went away quite happily and didn't try to persuade me to give to them too.
Whilst the Red Cross may be finding this a good way of getting donations I can't help feeling that some older people could be coerced into something that they wouldn't normally do and I don't think this method is doing their reputation much good. [disgust]

nellie
07-Nov-08, 23:46
I live in the Keiss area and I also had a very talkative young man on my door step asking for my bank details last Thursday:roll:

Fly
08-Nov-08, 00:04
We have been warned so many times never to give bank details to anyone.
If you want to set up a direct debit you should always do it directly in your bank.

Ricco
08-Nov-08, 15:31
Sadly, this is the 'modern' approach to charity collections. You get teams of them on the main streets in big city centres like the Bullring in Birmingham. It is a more high powered marketing approach than the style that we are used to. I agree that sometimes they can be a bit too pushy - I almost wonder if they get paid commission. It is a shame that charities have been reduced to such measures to try to keep themselves in business.

honey
08-Nov-08, 15:35
i have just read another person expressing the same concern as this trhead on a another forum.... and she's in Edinburgh.

Think its just the way of collecting now