PDA

View Full Version : Recycling bins for rural areas

Julia
05-Nov-08, 16:34
At last the rural areas of Caithness are getting recycling bins, large black ones on wheels which are for tins, plastic, paper and cardboard only.

They should all be rolled out (pardon the pun) by the end of the year in Caithness.

crashbandicoot1979
05-Nov-08, 17:17
Yeah, great news for the rural areas. Was speaking to someone today who was saying that householders are being told they must NOT put the stuff in plastic bags, they should just chuck it all loose into the bin. Apparently if the stuff is in plastic bags they won't lift it. Just a point worth noting for those that will use the service.

Julia
05-Nov-08, 18:09
That's right, it all has to go in loose, I suppose they will just sort it out at the truck like they do with the blue boxes.

badger
05-Nov-08, 18:16
This doesn't sound terribly sensible. Can they be serious - everything mixed up in one bin to be sorted out by the collectors, or someone? Have a nasty feeling it will all end up in landfill, as we're often told recycled stuff does sometimes.

Also, assuming not everyone washes their tins etc. as carefully as their other washing up, it will be a pretty horrible job sorting it [disgust]. Can't believe the H&S people will approve.

I now have seven (!!) different rubbish containers - compost, paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, tetrapak type cartons and one for everything else. Have I missed anything?

Julia
05-Nov-08, 18:43
I have seven recycling containers too, four in one bin makes sense for me as my back garden is really small.

The normal blue boxes which are for paper and tins are manually sorted at the kerbside

Liz
05-Nov-08, 18:57
We only have a brown bin for garden waste and the blue one for paper and cans.

Would love to have containers for plastic,cardboard, glass and tetrapack. Does it just depend on the area where you live?

badger
05-Nov-08, 22:56
We don't have any council ones yet. I have a little bin with a lid which came with my council composter for the kitchen and a nice little row of Homebase 99p re-usable bags in the garage for all the stuff that I have to take the recycling centre. They're quite pretty and a good shape.

Liz
05-Nov-08, 23:06
We don't have any council ones yet. I have a little bin with a lid which came with my council composter for the kitchen and a nice little row of Homebase 99p re-usable bags in the garage for all the stuff that I have to take the recycling centre. They're quite pretty and a good shape.

Oh I see. Thanks Badger.

Am I right in thinking that it is only the Thurso recycling centre which accepts Tetrapak?

Julia
05-Nov-08, 23:35
We only have a brown bin for garden waste and the blue one for paper and cans.

Would love to have containers for plastic,cardboard, glass and tetrapack. Does it just depend on the area where you live?

As far as I can gather if you have a blue recycling box then you won't get the new one yet, it's for folk outside the 30mph limits who have no recycling boxes at all, I was assured today by the council that we will probably all be getting them eventually.

Liz
06-Nov-08, 00:34
As far as I can gather if you have a blue recycling box then you won't get the new one yet, it's for folk outside the 30mph limits who have no recycling boxes at all, I was assured today by the council that we will probably all be getting them eventually.

Cheers Julia. It would be really good to get this.

Do you know whether Wick take Tetrapak? A lot of my cat food comes in this and would be good to recycle it but don't really want to trachle through to Thurso just for this!

Julia
06-Nov-08, 01:07
I'm not sure what Tetrapak is, excuse my ignorance LOL, it it like a carton?

crashbandicoot1979
06-Nov-08, 11:38

Do you know whether Wick take Tetrapak? A lot of my cat food comes in this and would be good to recycle it but don't really want to trachle through to Thurso just for this!

No, tetrapaks can only be recycled at Thurso at the moment. Its a trial that is being run by Tetrapak themselves, not by the council, so it is only available at a couple of recycling centres in the Highlands at the moment.

badger
06-Nov-08, 13:44
Oh help - I'd obviously forgotten one - cooking oils, fats etc. Not that I do much frying and a friend suggested vegetable oil that can't be reused can go in the composter, which I now do. Presumably there are still people who use other types of fat for frying - does this require even more sorting? They are talking about recycling oils - what about butter and lard or doesn't anyone use them now? I seem to remember reading once that oils for recycling have to be in their original container. Does the recycling firm empty the plastic bottles before washing and recycling them as well.

I'm sitting looking at a Tetrapak milk carton before going on to their special recycling website as I'm not sure if it should go into the usual Tetrapak bag. It's one of those firework ones and the top seems to be all plastic.

What do other people do with envelopes? You can't put them in with paper because of the glue.

This is all getting very complicated :eek: .

anneoctober
06-Nov-08, 13:53

Liz, despite what some threads may suggest on here - us in Thurso & landward are NICE people !! [lol]

Liz
06-Nov-08, 14:45
Liz, despite what some threads may suggest on here - us in Thurso & landward are NICE people !! [lol]

I'm sure you are!!!lol You just frighten us country yokels a wee bit!:lol:

No, seriously I don't want to travel to Thurso just to recycle Tetrapaks.

badger
06-Nov-08, 17:27
I'm sure you are!!!lol You just frighten us country yokels a wee bit!:lol:

No, seriously I don't want to travel to Thurso just to recycle Tetrapaks.

Not even for this Liz? http://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/recyclable_how.asp

olivia
06-Nov-08, 18:55
Where my mum lives down south they have been recycling like mad for over two years now. They all have three big wheelie bins, one for food stuff etc., one for garden waste and one for recyclable stuff like tins, plastic containers, paper etc. etc. (No pick up for glass though). It has been a roaring success and everyone is rewarded for all their hard work by a free big bag of compost every year. The only drawback is that the collections are staggered over a fortnight - is this a trick that Highland Council will cotton onto eventually? Its OK but in the summer the food waste bin starts to stink after a while!

Liz
06-Nov-08, 19:11
I'm not sure what Tetrapak is, excuse my ignorance LOL, it it like a carton?

Sorry Julia never saw your question.:confused Yes tetrapak are cartons.

No, tetrapaks can only be recycled at Thurso at the moment. Its a trial that is being run by Tetrapak themselves, not by the council, so it is only available at a couple of recycling centres in the Highlands at the moment.
Many thanks for the info.

Not even for this Liz? http://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/recyclable_how.asp

Cheers Badger! I will probably collect them for a while and then go to Thurso. Better than going to landfill. Here's hoping the trial being run in Thurso is successful and will be extended to Wick.

Cinderella's Shoe
06-Nov-08, 22:43
Praise to Highland Council for rolling out recycling for all rural and town customers.

HOWEVER

At present we recycle everything - glass, metal, card, paper plastic, organics and clothes. All organics are composted here and everything else duly sorted and taken - at my time and expense - to Thurso for recycling. Having another bin will be useful BUT won't encourage me to be any more committed to recycling and when it comes down to it will cost the Council more in having to collect and sort the waste. So probably higher Council Taxes.

I don't believe those who can't be bothered to recycle will contribute enough to justify the additional costs.

So what's in it for the Council???? And for the planet????

wifie
06-Nov-08, 22:53
Badger - re envelopes - I slit mine all round with a paper knife and rip off the glue bits and then put the paper in the paper bin.

Bobinovich
07-Nov-08, 00:57
I was told by one of the council workers at the Thurso centre that if the Tetrapak bins are full then to put them in with the cardboard. Might be worth those in Wick asking if they can do that there too...

badger
07-Nov-08, 13:02
Badger - re envelopes - I slit mine all round with a paper knife and rip off the glue bits and then put the paper in the paper bin.
Goodness Wifie - that really is dedication. I use mine for lists so they get a second life but now you've made me feel guilty for just throwing them away. Oh well, I suppose it's another thing to do in front of tv.

I was told by one of the council workers at the Thurso centre that if the Tetrapak bins are full then to put them in with the cardboard. Might be worth those in Wick asking if they can do that there too...
Yes I was told that once Bob. They do now have more containers over by the fence when the one by the cardboard is full but I wasn't happy putting them in with cardboard - seemed to defeat the purpose.

wifie
07-Nov-08, 18:39
I don't get that much mail badger LOL! :)
I use the picture half of old cards (birthday, christmas, etc) for makin lists - I keep them in a box by the phone. I recycle them when used too!

badger
07-Nov-08, 19:02
I recycle Christmas cards but never thought of birthday. I always cut the message half off as don't want people seeing what's written but I know lots of people don't. Do they all go to charity, e.g. the ones Tesco collect?

Tilter
08-Nov-08, 01:51
Um - when am I getting my recycling bin again? (Can't get into garage for empty milk containers at the mo.)