PDA

View Full Version : war graves commission

binbob
05-Nov-08, 11:39
before i leave this forum...i just wanted folk to know that [some of u may already be aware] that each soldier,sailor,pilot etc are remembered on the war graves commission website.they have dedicated page each.

i have enjoyed most of my time here,but after the events of yesterday...i do think i am being bullied by certain people.therefore i wish u all well...i will mainly miss the pet section.:(

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 11:52
Oh how sad.
Having an opinion and Bullying are two completely different things .
I never seen any bullying from anyone on the thread,just people with opinions as strong as yours.

Thank you for posting about the war graves commision though,much appreciated.

I bid you well.

arana negra
05-Nov-08, 14:22
Och lassie dinnae go, will ye nae bide a whiley langer ? :D

Bad Manners
05-Nov-08, 14:34
Whilst I dont agree with your opinion regarding poppies you are entitled to your own opinion you will never please everyone. If you go you are admitting defeat. if you believe in your view then you are right to do so just as others are right to belive in their view. No one is going to bully you for having an opinion after all that is what the org is for expressing opinions. I hope you can review you decision to go you dont have to comment on this thread anymore if you dont wish to but there will be other that you could contribute to. Never be afraid to have an opinion its what makes us what we are.

trinkie
05-Nov-08, 15:08
Thank you for reminding us Binbob.
May I add another address... www.twgpp.org (http://www.twgpp.org)
Where you will find a photo of many of the graves. Many volunteers are trying to take a picture of each grave to have on line so that relatives can at least see where their loved ones are resting.
I am doing my best to be such a volunteer and recently took pictures of a complete German PoW cemetery where the graves are beautifully cared for - I left a Red Poppy.

Red or white poppies ? Surely in the name of Peace, there is room for all.
Many years ago I went on a Peace Walk in London but on my coach a couple of folk began arguing about such a silly thing that the Vicar put them off the bus . Peace?? Is there any hope ?

Binbob, hang around for a while longer - perhaps we are all learning something here.
Trinkie

binbob
05-Nov-08, 15:25
Thank you for reminding us Binbob.
May I add another address... www.twgpp.org (http://www.twgpp.org)
Where you will find a photo of many of the graves. Many volunteers are trying to take a picture of each grave to have on line so that relatives can at least see where their loved ones are resting.
I am doing my best to be such a volunteer and recently took pictures of a complete German PoW cemetery where the graves are beautifully cared for - I left a Red Poppy.

Red or white poppies ? Surely in the name of Peace, there is room for all.
Many years ago I went on a Peace Walk in London but on my coach a couple of folk began arguing about such a silly thing that the Vicar put them off the bus . Peace?? Is there any hope ?

Binbob, hang around for a while longer - perhaps we are all learning something here.
Trinkie

thanks,trinkie..i really do appreciate ur very kind words.
i think taking pix of the graves is an amazing idea...well done to u and the others.
i have always wanted to visit my grandfather s grave,in france and lay a red rose on it...for my dear granny.
i i personally thinkl we will never get peace in the world.............it is a very cruel place indeed.still,we must keep trying.
i will now go and look to seeif my grandfather s grave is there.
very warm wishes.

wifie
05-Nov-08, 15:49
Well done for posting again binbob. Remember this is a forum for airing views. Like you I feel world peace is a world away but perhaps we can achieve some sort of understanding of the other person in our small corner of this planet.
Well done also to Trinkie - I am sure people will be grateful for what you have done.
"Never be afraid to have an opinion its what makes us what we are." - well said Bad Manners.

binbob
05-Nov-08, 15:50
thanks,wifie...

trinkie
05-Nov-08, 19:51
Binbob, Good luck in finding a picture of your grandfather's grave - if it's not on line yet, there is a box for you to ask if they have it, to send it on to you. You can appreciate hundreds of pictures are being sent in, and it sometimes takes months for them to get on line. But I think the French cemeteries have been well photographed by now.

The other year I went to France to visit my father's cousin's grave, and that was a most amazing experience. I was not prepared for the outpouring of grief, but I was so glad I went. Heavens ! I stood there singing The Lord is my Shepherd ! Good job the place was empty. The graves are beautifully cared for - we have many good people to thank for that.
The CWGC will give you precise details how to reach your grandfather's grave, I do hope you can make the journey.
Please let me know how you get on, and I will include your grandfather in my Remembrance and Thanks this week.

A couple of years after my father returned from the 2nd WW, he and mum were driving back from Inverness when they spotted two young girl hitch-hikers. He stopped, and spoke to them and discovered they were German lassies. They said their father had said to them 'Now the War is over go to Britain and make friends' so mum and dad asked them to drive with them to Caithness and spend a few days with their daughters. We got on so well together. We shared our meagre rations and our bedrooms and laughed and giggled. My father reminded us the War was all over and it was up to us to make friends with each other.

World Peace is too great for us to aim for. We cant tackle it, but we can make Peace with those around us. Just think, if we all did that.......

Trinkie

percy toboggan
05-Nov-08, 20:39
There was a great play on Radio4 last thursday about the war graves commission, and the way it was all started. You might just catch it still on the I player - 7 days usually. Look for 'afternoon play' on the radio 4 page.
Don't chuck the forum bin-bob, dunna take 'bullying' to heart because it's probably not really 'bullying' at all. Give 'em as good as you get.

bekisman
05-Nov-08, 20:39
http://www.cwgc.org/ (http://www.cwgc.org/) found my grandfather on here within a few seconds - thanks Binbob for the pointer..

trinkie
05-Nov-08, 20:41
Me again !
Have you looked up your grandfather in the book Voices in the Wind by A.Budge? There's bound to be a mention .
If you dont have the book, there will be one in the Library - or I'll be happy to look it up for you.
It's a wonderful book, we are so indebted to A. Budge for putting it all together.

Trinkie

binbob
05-Nov-08, 21:52
http://www.cwgc.org/ (http://www.cwgc.org/) found my grandfather on here within a few seconds - thanks Binbob for the pointer..
t6hat is good...and probably very sad for u too,but it is very special..i get very emotional about this.

we will never forget these people...

binbob
05-Nov-08, 21:54
Me again !
Have you looked up your grandfather in the book Voices in the Wind by A.Budge? There's bound to be a mention .
If you dont have the book, there will be one in the Library - or I'll be happy to look it up for you.
It's a wonderful book, we are so indebted to A. Budge for putting it all together.

Trinkie
thanks ,trinkie...i did not find his pic...i am sure it will be there eventually.would u be very kind and look it up for me..???

i will pm his details to u.
thanks again..it seems that sopme good is coming about because of the poppy debate.

binbob
05-Nov-08, 21:55
There was a great play on Radio4 last thursday about the war graves commission, and the way it was all started. You might just catch it still on the I player - 7 days usually. Look for 'afternoon play' on the radio 4 page.
Don't chuck the forum bin-bob, dunna take 'bullying' to heart because it's probably not really 'bullying' at all. Give 'em as good as you get.

ahhh ,percy...thank u...i will stick around...and thanks for the link.

binbob
05-Nov-08, 21:58
Binbob, Good luck in finding a picture of your grandfather's grave - if it's not on line yet, there is a box for you to ask if they have it, to send it on to you. You can appreciate hundreds of pictures are being sent in, and it sometimes takes months for them to get on line. But I think the French cemeteries have been well photographed by now.

The other year I went to France to visit my father's cousin's grave, and that was a most amazing experience. I was not prepared for the outpouring of grief, but I was so glad I went. Heavens ! I stood there singing The Lord is my Shepherd ! Good job the place was empty. The graves are beautifully cared for - we have many good people to thank for that.
The CWGC will give you precise details how to reach your grandfather's grave, I do hope you can make the journey.
Please let me know how you get on, and I will include your grandfather in my Remembrance and Thanks this week.

A couple of years after my father returned from the 2nd WW, he and mum were driving back from Inverness when they spotted two young girl hitch-hikers. He stopped, and spoke to them and discovered they were German lassies. They said their father had said to them 'Now the War is over go to Britain and make friends' so mum and dad asked them to drive with them to Caithness and spend a few days with their daughters. We got on so well together. We shared our meagre rations and our bedrooms and laughed and giggled. My father reminded us the War was all over and it was up to us to make friends with each other.

World Peace is too great for us to aim for. We cant tackle it, but we can make Peace with those around us. Just think, if we all did that.......

Trinkie

that is wonderful...i can only imagine how u felt at the graveside.hopefully i will do the same one day...and ur father was a wise man...we should all get on and forgive although we may never forget.remember,both sides lose members of their family.........u are special.

Munro
06-Nov-08, 12:25
Percy, listened to the play as well, very moving hearing the soldiers voice's.
We are planning a trip to Belgium next year to visit the grave of my wife's great uncle L/Cpl George Munro in Ridgewood Cemetery.
I would be happy to take photo's of other graves there if anyone wants them, just need details of grave location, it would be great if any Orger visting the cemeteries could take photo's for those who cant make the trip themselves.

linkside
08-Nov-08, 15:08
Here is another web site that might help people www.findagrave.com (http://www.findagrave.com) we used it to find a relative who was killed in Gallipoli, and you can also add comments/flowers to their names. Hope this helps.