PDA

View Full Version : USA Presidential Elections/ Obama wins! (merged threads)

Boozeburglar
05-Nov-08, 00:36
I won't be awake for the whole thing, but I am happy to see my man looking in shape to win.

A new world, and certainly a new USA in the eyes of the world at large.

:)

wifie
05-Nov-08, 00:38
'Tis indeed very exciting BB! :)

golach
05-Nov-08, 00:44
no results yet are there???...........remember chickens and eggs :mad:

TBH
05-Nov-08, 00:48
Will it be a brave new world or just another head on the scarecrow?

golach
05-Nov-08, 01:06
Oh dear the results at the moment are McCain 8 Obama 3

htwood
05-Nov-08, 01:16
Fear not golach. Those are the most tentative of results with only 2% of the polls counted, and in only 2 states out of 50 LOL
Ohhh, the speculation churns and boils.
That being said, if Obama doesnt win, my boss has given permission for me to stay home from work tomorrow and drink myself into a stupor.

wifie
05-Nov-08, 01:24
Wow - good boss!

starry
05-Nov-08, 01:48
Fear not golach. Those are the most tentative of results with only 2% of the polls counted, and in only 2 states out of 50 LOL
Ohhh, the speculation churns and boils.
That being said, if Obama doesnt win, my boss has given permission for me to stay home from work tomorrow and drink myself into a stupor.

I think there will be a lot of people staying home and drinking themselves into a stupor if he doesn't win ;)

The results are taking a long time to come in, I thought we would by now

I want to stay up and watch this for a few hours but am falling asleep :(

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Nov-08, 01:48
Meet the new boss/ Same as the old boss.

MadPict
05-Nov-08, 01:51
Neat 'widget' if you're going to stay awake all night...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032553?dst=d08ElectionNightWidget

starry
05-Nov-08, 02:06
I can't sleep

84 Obama
34 McCain

JAWS
05-Nov-08, 02:47
One thing is certain, the lawyers are already making a killing. The Democrats have sent 5,000, yes thousand, lawyers to Florida alone, just in case.

brandy
05-Nov-08, 03:26
i cant sleep either!
174 to 64 go obama!

Margaret M.
05-Nov-08, 03:40
Obama just won Ohio which is huge!! Impossible for McSame to win now. With all the Democrat seats won in the Senate and House, they may finally get something done in Washington.

brandy
05-Nov-08, 03:45
YES YES YES!!!! would be shouting and screaming if it wouldnt wake kids up! woohooo! go obama! its almost in the bag when you win ohio! 200 to 90 now!

brandy
05-Nov-08, 05:04
congrats to president ellect barrak obama!
let the good times start to roll!
lets hope that this brings the dawn of a new age, where we can start to pick our selves up and stand again!
the democrats are in the house!

Boozeburglar
05-Nov-08, 05:07
yes chickens and eggs indeed....

well done USA, you get a gold star!

JAWS
05-Nov-08, 05:13
I hope he can live up to his billing because by all accounts he can walk on water.

Angela
05-Nov-08, 05:33
Just woke up.... :eek:

I feel so pleased and relieved....don't think I'll get back to sleep now....

Well done, America! :D

brandy
05-Nov-08, 05:54
been up since 2!! just waiting for obama to come and give his speech! really nervous and worried though! fingers crossed nothing bad happens!

Aaldtimer
05-Nov-08, 06:35
This is truly a momentous moment in World History, and I am glad that I have lived long enough to witness it.
The day that the United States of America became a whole nation.
Long live President Obama...though I fear for him.

sassylass
05-Nov-08, 07:53
ahhhhh sweet relief and hope!

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 08:11
I hope he can live up to his billing because by all accounts he can walk on water.

I second that emotion!
He will either be fantastic (as his supporters say he is)or the biggest damp squid since betamax!! [lol]
personally i hope and think he will do well,but the hype is alot to live up to.

Gizmo
05-Nov-08, 08:14
Phew!...tough times ahead for President Obama, but the world will be a safer place with him in office, the legacy of hatred towards America that Bush has left will be a difficult obstical to overcome and will take years to repair, but it will happen, today is truly a great day for America.

Lavenderblue2
05-Nov-08, 08:27
Congratulations President Elect Obama!!

This is a historical day for America and the whole world.

We need change - I pray that this is it...

Sporran
05-Nov-08, 08:35
The Sporran household is thrilled that Obama won the election! :D We would have been extremely disappointed if he didn't. By the time I came home from work around 10 pm, it looked like he was well on the road to victory. We watched the BBC World News America live coverage, led by David Dimbleby, Matt Frei, Katty Kay, et al.

I must admit we were very impressed by John McCain's concession speech. It was extremely noble and supportive, and if he was disappointed at all, he certainly didn't show it.

With Obama and Biden at the helm, there is hope for a much brighter future. But after these past disastrous eight years, they will certainly have their work cut out for them!

Long live President Obama!!!

brokencross
05-Nov-08, 08:36
Congratulations President Elect Obama!!

This is a historical day for America and the whole world.

We need change - I pray that this is it...

I agree with your sentiments but will 4 years (or even 8 years) be enough to sort out what are quite a few problems, home and abroad.

golach
05-Nov-08, 09:22
What a result, well done Barack

trinkie
05-Nov-08, 09:35
A great day for the world.
Well done America.
Obama has a lot to do, this is the beginning.

'I have a Dream'

May his grannie Rest in Peace now.

Trinkie

helenwyler
05-Nov-08, 10:14
Went to sleep at 1.00 and woke up at 4.00 a m. to the dawn of a New Day :). Well done America! I'm gonna have a 'sunny side up' for breakfast to celebrate :lol:.

brandy
05-Nov-08, 10:41
at least we will get a start on getting things back together even if everything is not fixed in the next 4-8 years. hopefully when relelection time comes back around they will pick another good leader!

mccaugm
05-Nov-08, 11:13
Thank god he got in.....no more warmongering from "George-Dubya".

I am so relieved....

binbob
05-Nov-08, 11:14
Thank god he got in.....no more warmongering from "George-Dubya".

I am so relieved....
hear..hear...

brandy
05-Nov-08, 11:15
remember its not official till 20th jan!

mccaugm
05-Nov-08, 11:19
But McCain conceded by phoning Obama at 4am our time. How come it takes months before its official. American politics are nuts.
Also why are there only two parties when Britain have loads?

Boozeburglar
05-Nov-08, 11:33
For all the poo pooers and nay sayers, you miss the point.

Whatever happens in his Presidency; the most significant change has already been made, and cannot be undone.

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 12:10
For all the poo pooers and nay sayers, you miss the point.

Whatever happens in his Presidency; the most significant change has already been made, and cannot be undone.

That is very true, but hopefully the race point will be lost and the good president point will take over.
He has some good policies and good ideas, and with the mood of celbration and unity in the states at the moment lets hope the WHOLE country comes together and sorts it all out.

looks like good times ahead though maybe a bit premature,the main thing is Rome wasnt built in a day,as long as the public grasps that and gives him time then it definitely will be good for EVERYONE.

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 12:12

But the party America is having at the moment is massive and will see many with sore heads! [lol]

muffin
05-Nov-08, 12:15
Absolutely wonderful, lets hope for world peace.

MadPict
05-Nov-08, 12:51
Obama is half black, half white - ideal mix perhaps?

Jesse Jackson apparently stated he wasn't black enough! Now he stands with tears running down his face...

I hope that this will prove the sentiment that in the US anything is possible...

Boozeburglar
05-Nov-08, 13:11
The race point may not continue to be at forefront Stateside.

However, the effect it is going to have on how people worldwide view him and therefore the USA should not be underestimated.

That the people of the world can now see that the US population voted for a man of colour will send a clear message. Yes, in an ideal world it should not figure, but it does, and so much.

The unfair reputation of the USA as a racist nation, based ironically on the results of indiscriminate promotion of freedom of speech and a high profile civil rights struggle in recent times, may now be challenged.

Yes, we should all be ashamed of slavery, but there were slaves and still are slaves in Africa and many other places in the world. The USA just happens to fight over and debate all these issues in the most visible manner.
No, race may not be the most significant aspect in the USA now, but across the world a lot of closed doors are about to open...

teenybash
05-Nov-08, 13:17
Hearty Congratulations President Barack Obama.A great day not only for America but the world....................May the sun always light the way ahead and the Crown of Wisdom sit firmly on your head. May your heart spill over with compassion and kindness and your hands help tie the knot that unites mankind.........:)

Kodiak
05-Nov-08, 13:25
Was watching the results roll in while in bed and the last I remember was Obama was almost there. Then ZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!

I woke up and saw that Obama had won 333 Votes and I happily switched off rhe TV.

So Congrats to Obama for becoming the President Elect and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he will be able to live up to his full potential.

Kodiak
05-Nov-08, 13:45
But McCain conceded by phoning Obama at 4am our time. How come it takes months before its official. American politics are nuts.

Obama is President Elect. In other words he is President in waiting. President Bush remains President until Mid January 2009 and right up till then he keeps all his Presidential Powers ect.

Obama will not become President until he is sworn in on the 20th January 2009.

Although the Election for President is Run in November who ever wins does not get sworn in until the 20th January the following year.

buffy
05-Nov-08, 13:56
Awww its like 24 but without all the secret assasination plots....

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 14:09
Awww its like 24 but without all the secret assasination plots....

I was thinking that myself. Jack is obviously behind the scenes protecting the president! [lol]

2little2late
05-Nov-08, 16:18
remember its not official till 20th jan!

It is official. Obama is the next U.S. president.

Kodiak
05-Nov-08, 16:29
It is official. Obama is the next U.S. president.

Correct he will be the next President of the USA but NOT until 20th January 2009. Until then he is President Elect.

Julia
05-Nov-08, 16:37
But McCain conceded by phoning Obama at 4am our time. How come it takes months before its official. snip

He has to wait until the official end of Bush's term in office.

Did you see all the people crying, it was for relief as well as joy, relief that Georgie boy is leaving at last [lol]

2little2late
05-Nov-08, 16:40
Correct he will be the next President of the USA but NOT until 20th January 2009. Until then he is President Elect.

But it's still official. Obama is the next US president, Mcain conceded, so doesn't this make it official that Obama is the next US president?

Kodiak
05-Nov-08, 16:52
As I said you are correct, it is Official Obama will be the Next President of USA BUT not until he gets sworn in and that is on the 20th January 2009.

Until then Obama is PRESIDENT ELECT and President Bush will remain in Power until 20th January 2009 and will still be able to make Laws, start another war or anything that a president can do.

bekisman
05-Nov-08, 17:24
Mccaugm: "Thank god he got in.....no more warmongering from "George-Dubya". I am so relieved.... (are you sure?):

Aug 07: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama said on Wednesday the United States must be willing to strike al Qaeda targets inside Pakistan ... Obama said if elected in November 2008 he would be willing to attack inside Pakistan with or without approval from the Pakistani government .. "If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will," Obama said.

canuck
05-Nov-08, 17:46
There is still another step between now and January 20. Those elected last night to be the electoral college still have to gather and vote. Anything could happen between now and when that happens (January I think.) My American history is a bit shaky, but I believe that once way back in some dark past that the final vote, when this college came together, ended up in favour of the other candidate. I don't mean dangling chads and all that.

Now that the shouting is toning down, the question which immediately arose in my mind when I saw the TV clip of the acceptance rally is 'what was with that dress Mrs. Obama was wearing?'

wifie
05-Nov-08, 17:50
Dangling chads? LOL Canuck I had to google there and now get it - punchcard voting system! Phew I wondered what on earth you were on about! :confused

Welcomefamily
05-Nov-08, 17:52
Its history in the making and must surely be a great day for man kind because it shows the world that America is not only a great democracy but a land of opportunity casting off a piece of its dark past. With some states polled in excess of 90% it will make many countries have to rethink its propaganda of American as a great white super power with many of their arguements no longer usable.
Obama like any president will have to be prepared to use force if negotations do not work.

htwood
05-Nov-08, 18:38
Ive never seen anything like the street celebrations we had last night. Every corner was full of people dancing and shouting with joy, and every car that passed honked their horn in agreement. Easily lasted until after midnight, hours after McCain's concession speech.

Obama has a hard job ahead of him, helping us recover from 8 years of hell. He can do it: not only is he intelligent, but he surrounds himself with similar thinkers.

Boozeburglar
05-Nov-08, 18:47
not only is he intelligent, but he surrounds himself with similar thinkers.

Hope not! :)

sweetpea
05-Nov-08, 19:47
The only thing I heard on the radio back from Wick was something to do with China, Japan and France all congratulating him and something about Afghanistan saying 'they admired the courage of the American people for voting him in'. That was at about 4 ish and until then I hadn't been following it.

Tristan
05-Nov-08, 19:47
Interesting to look at how the US has voted over the years in different elections.

http://www.100bestwebsites.org/alt/evmaps/electoral-maps.htm

Sporran
05-Nov-08, 20:00
Now that the shouting is toning down, the question which immediately arose in my mind when I saw the TV clip of the acceptance rally is 'what was with that dress Mrs. Obama was wearing?'

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking too, Canuck! :lol: I wasn't quite sure at first if it was red spotlights on a black dress, or some kind of optical illusion, then I realised it wasn't. All I can say is, it did look rather odd!

percy toboggan
05-Nov-08, 20:36
Obama has the weight of expectancy on his shoulders. He sounds like a leader though but we've been here before...Clinton, Blair etc. I wish America well and hope he avoids any bullets which might come his way.

The Republican party now finds itself in a similar position the Torys here in 1997.
Who will be their Cameron...or will they first have an I.D.S. a Hague and a Howard?

Tilter
06-Nov-08, 15:09
This has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, historical moments I've seen in my 60 years on earth. I am so happy. I don't care right now what problems Obama faces, how good a president he'll be, etc. - I just care that a great big hole has been kicked in the ceiling and nothing can take that away.

I was wondering if posters were up on election night but couldn't tear myself away from the telly to check. Stayed up till 4 till California's result came in - to make sure and because that's the state I voted in (at least I think I did - doing it by mail was quite complicated and I'd not voted since the early 80's).

One of the best moments for me was seeing the tears on the Rev. Jesse Jackson's face when Obama made his acceptance speech. I was blubbing my head off. How much can happen in 40 years. I have so many memories of living in the Deep South not so many years after segregation, so maybe it just means more to me.

Have to say I have a lot of respect for Mr McCain though as well.

(Mrs Obama seems to favour knitwear over tailored suits from what I could see.)

percy toboggan
06-Nov-08, 19:31
I think it only just that a half-black half white man or woman can rise to the rank of President in the U.S.A. The place has been a melting pot for centuries now.

(I'd like to have seen a native American (red Indian) call 'em what you will manage it first though, for they are the truly dis-possessed in their own land.)

No such thing will happen here in the UK...much less any 'independant'Scotland in the lifetime of anybody reading this....probably.

Is this theory something we should regret, or feel uneasy about?

Sporran
06-Nov-08, 22:16
One of the best moments for me was seeing the tears on the Rev. Jesse Jackson's face when Obama made his acceptance speech. I was blubbing my head off. How much can happen in 40 years. I have so many memories of living in the Deep South not so many years after segregation, so maybe it just means more to me.

(Mrs Obama seems to favour knitwear over tailored suits from what I could see.)

It was very touching to see Jesse Jackson moved to tears like that. They must have been tears of joy and relief, after all that he has spent his life working for.

As for Mrs Obama, I'm sure we will soon be seeing a great improvement in her fashion sense. Perhaps she could get some tips from Sarah Palin!

Tristan
07-Nov-08, 01:11
For those keeping track... http://www.countdown2change.com/

Margaret M.
07-Nov-08, 15:46
It was very touching to see Jesse Jackson moved to tears like that. They must have been tears of joy and relief, after all that he has spent his life working for.!

Jackson was crying because he was not up on the stage. :D

As for Mrs Obama, I'm sure we will soon be seeing a great improvement in her fashion sense. Perhaps she could get some tips from Sarah Palin!

I think it is quite ironic that Palin who claimed to be "just a hockey mom" strutted around in the expensive designer duds while Michelle wore very affordable clothing from J. Crew, Black and White, etc.

May the force be with the moose in Alaska but I feel so much better knowing that Palin is back there keeping her winky eye on Putin.

I am really impressed by the high number of votes for Obama in your neck of the woods, Sporran! It says a lot when an area with so many military families votes democratic. This is the first time in over 40 years that a Democrat won in Virginia and it's due in no small part to the Hampton Roads area and northern Virginia.

Boozeburglar
07-Nov-08, 22:27
No such thing will happen here in the UK...much less any 'independant'Scotland in the lifetime of anybody reading this....probably.

Is this theory something we should regret, or feel uneasy about?

Even ten years ago everyone would have said the same about the USA.

I think there is no sense to your statement.

percy toboggan
07-Nov-08, 23:46
Even ten years ago everyone would have said the same about the USA.

I think there is no sense to your statement.

It was more of a theory than a statement, which actually culminated in a question.
The USA's population is 13% black...and they, for the most part are the descendants of those who were dragged there a couple of hundred years ago and more, against their will in bonds of slavery.

Here, the black population make up just 1.5 per cent (a statistic I gleaned from radio 4 which I found hard to swallow given the impact both negative and positive)

Given that most of these people are economic migrants post World War Two only, who actively sought some kind of better life - and quite possibly, often failed - is it surprising that the host seems reluctant to elect , or place these people in positions from which to strive for high office? Of course many black people peform vital jobs...from porly paid service sector menial work through to the most responsible of positions where life and limb are often at stake.Some of them are far more educated and more valuable to modern society than I am, and quite possibly you are.Yet it begs the question....Do they feel more alienated here? is this perhaps what sees them shy away from the political arena. I'm trying to provide more meat on the bone so you might at least chew over the proposition here,and answer the question which is the bit on the end of my last post which is ended with a ?

Could you envisage a black leader in Germany, or France?...Sweden, Spain or any western democracy?

If not..should it be a matter of concern, or should we just get on with governing ourselves for the good of all, including recent incomers and their descendants, many of whom contribute a great deal?

I'm not sure I would like to see a Westminster Government headed by a black Prime Minister, or indeed a Chinese or Asian one. Unless they were extremely able and transformed my life chances in a short space of time - unlikely.

How would you feel about it?

This is an honest question and seeks to weigh up the reaction from anybody with a counter, or supportive view. Dare anyone agree ? or is the groundswell... nay the desire for an ethnic minority PM , with little track record but much in the way of financial backing as overwhelming here as in the USA?

purplelady
07-Nov-08, 23:52
i think it is wonderful obama has won he is truely a lovely man and he desrves just hope he can be allowed to do his job good obama

Boozeburglar
07-Nov-08, 23:58
Well if McCain had campaigned for funding based on keeping an African American out of the Whitehouse, I am sure he would have done well.

Most of Obama's donations were small amounts from private individuals.

I think his financial clout was indicative of his popularity, pretty democratic in my opinion.

Per se, your logic is flawed.

percy toboggan
08-Nov-08, 00:05
Well if McCain had campaigned for funding based on keeping an African American out of the Whitehouse, I am sure he would have done well.

Most of Obama's donations were small amounts from private individuals.

I think his financial clout was indicative of his popularity, pretty democratic in my opinion.

Per se, your logic is flawed.

I'll settle for 'flawed logic', for nobody is perfect.
Instincts I can do little about. The main thing is to think about things.
One wonders what Obama will do about Guantanamo Bay...I feel hopes might soon be shattered.....this guy could well turn out to be a severe let-down....no refunds either.

Tilter
08-Nov-08, 02:33
Jackson was crying because he was not up on the stage.
No, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The USA's population is 13% black...Here, the black population make up just 1.5 per cent (a statistic I gleaned from radio 4 which I found hard to swallow given the impact both negative and positive) .
They said on telly black population here was 3%. We have far more Asians.

Could you envisage a black leader in Germany, or France?...Sweden, Spain or any western democracy? .
No. (Spain maybe but not Germany or France.)

I'm not sure I would like to see a Westminster Government headed by a black Prime Minister, or indeed a Chinese or Asian one. Unless they were extremely able and transformed my life chances in a short space of time - unlikely. How would you feel about it? .
Why ever not? Percy would you just listen to yourself. “Unless they were extremely able . . .” Why would non-whites have to be so extremely able? Like the white ones we’ve got are so fantastic? Not.

This is an honest question and seeks to weigh up the reaction from anybody with a counter, or supportive view. Dare anyone agree ? or is the groundswell... nay the desire for an ethnic minority PM , with little track record but much in the way of financial backing as overwhelming here as in the USA?
The financial backing came from a phenomenal groundswell of people (not oil corporations) who gave on average US$80 per head and often as little as $5. Sounds like democracy to me. The black voter turnout in Georgia (which went to the Republicans) was 94%. What is our voter turnout?

Regarding Muslims, I’d like to quote in full what Colin Powell (who seems to have come to his senses since misguidedly going after WMD in Iraq and has had the nous to admit it) had to say shortly before the election (http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2008/10/20081027141519803893.html):

"I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say, and it is permitted to be said. Such things as; 'Well you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim.'
"Well the correct answer is: 'He is not a Muslim, he's a Christian, he's always been a Christian.'
"But the really right answer is: 'What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?' The answer is 'No. That's not America.'
"Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she can be president? Yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion he's a Muslim and he might be associated with terrorists. This is not the way we should be doing it in America," said Powell.
"I feel strongly about this particular point because of a picture I saw in a magazine.
"It was a photo-essay about troops who were serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and one picture at the tail-end of this photo essay was of a mother in Arlington Cemetery and she had her head on the headstone of her son's grave.
"And, as the picture focused in, you can see the writing on the headstone. And it gave his awards, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, showed that he died in Iraq, gave his date of birth, date of death.
"He was 20-years-old. And then at the very top of the headstone, it didn't have a Christian cross, it didn't have a Star of David. It had a crescent and a star of the Islamic faith.
"And his name was Karim Rashad Sultan Khan. And he was an American, he was born in New Jersey, he was 14 at the time of 9/11 and he waited until he can go serve his counrty and he gave his life."

Apart from that big red swathe down the middle of the US, I think we could learn a bit from our friends across the pond.

Aaldtimer
08-Nov-08, 04:13
My goodness Percy, where have your perceptions been?
We've had black MPs/ Lords/ Barristers/ Consultant doctors etc. ad infinitum since the last century in this country...for Gawdsakes, waken up man!:confused

Sporran
08-Nov-08, 08:36
I think it is quite ironic that Palin who claimed to be "just a hockey mom" strutted around in the expensive designer duds while Michelle wore very affordable clothing from J. Crew, Black and White, etc.

May the force be with the moose in Alaska but I feel so much better knowing that Palin is back there keeping her winky eye on Putin.

I am really impressed by the high number of votes for Obama in your neck of the woods, Sporran! It says a lot when an area with so many military families votes democratic. This is the first time in over 40 years that a Democrat won in Virginia and it's due in no small part to the Hampton Roads area and northern Virginia.

Well, I've never seen such a glamourous hockey or soccer mom as Sarah Palin, that's for sure, LOL! I'm still amused at the way she kept winking at the camera during the vice presidential debate. :lol:

The military and their families have had more than enough of Bush and the campaign in Iraq. Obama promises many changes, and comes across as a strong, intelligent leader, who can be looked up to and admired. There was a chance that McCain might have ended up being another George Bush, to a certain extent, so voting for him posed a great risk, in the eyes of many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJo2BRHLVI

percy toboggan
08-Nov-08, 09:37
My goodness Percy, where have your perceptions been?
We've had black MPs/ Lords/ Barristers/ Consultant doctors etc. ad infinitum since the last century in this country...for Gawdsakes, waken up man!:confused

I'm wide awake old chap, enough to 'perceive' your observations merely demonstrate my point. Of course a tiny percentage of ethnic minority folk reach positions of authority within the professions and are even ushered into politics by a system which seems to require at least a token presence....then the glass ceiling kicks in, or their abilities limit their further progress. There is no 'national' will here to see an Obama factor in politics.

Trevor Phillips - head of the race industry - agreed with me this morning on radio 4, although he sees this state of affairs as something to be regretted. He blames the 'Labour Party Machine'.

Now, go back to sleep.:roll:

Boozeburglar
08-Nov-08, 11:13
Small crumb of comfort for those who don't want anything similar here, is that not all these remarks are about?

Keep telling yourself if can't happen here.

It will, and it will in Germany, France... everywhere.

Because we are dealing with the law of averages, nothing else.

Obama was not 'positively discriminated' to get where he is.

He fought and won the hard way.

Perhaps if some who seem to toil away so much on message boards worked harder they might have acquired a position in society where they encountered those in 'positions of authority within the professions', and could then speak from experience rather than wishful prejudice.

Even with a limited scope for such interaction they might care to examine the hierarchy of the UK health or legal system to gain some insight.

percy toboggan
08-Nov-08, 11:50
Small crumb of comfort for those who don't want anything similar here, is that not all these remarks are about?

Perhaps if some who seem to toil away so much on message boards worked harder they might have acquired a position in society where they encountered those in 'positions of authority within the professions', and could then speak from experience rather than wishful prejudice.

Even with a limited scope for such interaction they might care to examine the hierarchy of the UK health or legal system to gain some insight.

We must grab our crumbs where we can in this cruel, cruel world.

'Board' in the singular now in my case BB because people with views such as yourself must be challenged. I see it more as a mission, free of any onerous element of 'toil'.

In closing, I try to avoid both 'hard work' these days and the legal 'profession' which as you say is represented reasonably well with ethnic minorities in their staffing and certainly their client base.

percy toboggan
08-Nov-08, 15:18

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a 'position in society'.
Furthermore do you equate 'hard work' or it's absence with moving 'up' or 'down' the social ladder. I am minded to think your inference has the stratification of society at its root.

If we are now discussing social mobility generally I need to know.

You also say 'it will happen everywhere' which is clearly wishful thinking on your part...your own particular 'crumb of comfort' no doubt. The 'law of averages' has little to do with political advancement....or Italy would have had a stable government by now....and you think Spain would tolerate a black leader, when they give even footballers & Formula One exponents short shrift with their silly, racist chants....I trust you were joking, for Spain is a far more overtly racist society than the one you enjoy here.

You might be on some kind of crusade to further the cause of ethnic minority candidates everywhere, or merely wish to site yourself into a fantasy cosmopolis of your own design.

If indeed you are correct and it will happen 'everywhere' then be more relaxed about my opposition, which in your world appears futile anyway.
Grab another crumb boozeburglar...the futility of toboggan!:~(

For one so certain you don't half go on....as will I whenever the thought police (of whom you are a prized example) challenge my right to freedom of thought, and expression....
I know you have particular reason for thinking the way you do...as do I, and we are all shaped by our own experiences. If you wish to spare the board any more of this thread I'll gladly claim the last word - at least on this little sub-exchange twixt thee, and me.:Razz

hotrod4
11-Nov-08, 19:33
Having found that he is another one of those who do "the hand" my opinion is going down now!![lol]

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s337/jinxd_2008/obama-devil-hand.jpg

cuddlepop
11-Nov-08, 19:56
This man has a mountain to climb.
Peoples expections of him are immence.
His family and himself now live with the constant threat of assassination.

I hope that he's given a chance to prove himself.:D

He appears sincere and honest so lets hope the "burden" of office does not stifle all that he hopes to achieve.