PDA

View Full Version : Rumour Mill.

LENSMAN
20-Jan-06, 22:42
Heard from a couple of sources that the Viewfirth is closing at the end of the month, can anyone confirm or rubbish this rumour?

teddybear1873
20-Jan-06, 22:47
I heard Bill Gates bought the viewfith but that also could be a rumour

janette
20-Jan-06, 23:35
Don't know if it is closing, but January 31st in the end of their financial year.

ice box
20-Jan-06, 23:44
I thought april was the end of the financial year .

janette
21-Jan-06, 00:00
I can assure you that the Viewfirth financial year runs from the 1 February to the 31 January. It was set this way in order that the accounts could be finalised and audited for the AGM which by their constitution should be sometime in April.

Come on Loafer agree with me, you sat round the table at committe meetings for some time

grantyg
21-Jan-06, 20:03
Heard from a couple of sources that the Viewfirth is closing at the end of the month, can anyone confirm or rubbish this rumour?

Nope but I did hear the new retail park is getting an Ann Summers!:Razz

teddybear1873
21-Jan-06, 20:47
Nope but I did hear the new retail park is getting an Ann Summers!:Razz
you sure it wasnt Buffy Summers

JAWS
21-Jan-06, 21:03
you sure it wasnt Buffy Summers
No it's a Shelley Winters, I'm sure of it! :p

teddybear1873
21-Jan-06, 21:07
No it's a Shelley Winters, I'm sure of it! :p
Shelley Winters is dead..she died about 2 weeks ago..that cant be possible lol...............Well dead or not they buried her

hell raizer
21-Jan-06, 21:54
well i have heard it is the last week of it being open.after sunday as far as i know the doors will be closed :(

beppo1967
21-Jan-06, 22:33
it was a dump anyway

grantyg
22-Jan-06, 00:52
mind you it could have been pets at home because they did mention rabbits???

Sandra
22-Jan-06, 13:12
According to the Scottish Give Blood website, they are holding a give blood session at Viewfirth on 9 February.

If Viewfirth are closing down then they should tell the Blood service, so they can find an alternative venue.

Loafer
22-Jan-06, 13:13
I can assure you that the Viewfirth financial year runs from the 1 February to the 31 January. It was set this way in order that the accounts could be finalised and audited for the AGM which by their constitution should be sometime in April.

Come on Loafer agree with me, you sat round the table at committe meetings for some time

Janette, it was a while ago and to be honest the "committee meetings " were a rabble of gadgies that went along to get a free pint and a nip (you got it at all meetings, no wonder it's in dire straights!).

Something is ringing a bell in my napper about it right enough, it had to do with getting the figures into the UKAEA before the end of their financial year.

The Loafer

janette
22-Jan-06, 14:13
Loafer

We're on the same wavelength about the place. The meetings were a rabble and ended up with more being discussed at the bar, when the free drinks were being comsumed. And more decisions made then. Minutes reflected what wanted to be said than what really had been said. As you say no wonder the place is a disaster.

JAWS
22-Jan-06, 15:16
Shelley Winters is dead..she died about 2 weeks ago..that cant be possible lol...............Well dead or not they buried her
Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw her talking to Elvis in Castletown two days back.

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 18:49
Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw her talking to Elvis in Castletown two days back.Funny you should say that...I heard Elvis is opening a new underwear shop in Castletown..... The woman you saw him talking to was indeed Shelly Winters... They were waiting for the bus!!:Razz

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 21:54
Funny you should say that...I heard Elvis is opening a new underwear shop in Castletown..... The woman you saw him talking to was indeed Shelly Winters... They were waiting for the bus!!:Razz

Really:eek:Wonder if theyre still there.........was it the bus home they were waiting for connieb?........Was the Mummy with them? Hope he was and he got on the bus with them[smirk]

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 22:41
Really:eek:Wonder if theyre still there.........was it the bus home they were waiting for connieb?........Was the Mummy with them? Hope he was and he got on the bus with them[smirk]The latest rumor is that they are squatting in the house on the corner in Thurso... I noticed the mummy in the Spar this morning!!:Razz

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 23:02
[quote=connieb19]The latest rumor is that they are squatting in the house on the corner in Thurso... I noticed the mummy in the Spar this morning!!:Razz
/quote]

Not the Spar in Castletown connieb:eek: please say it wasnt:eek:

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:08
[quote=connieb19]The latest rumor is that they are squatting in the house on the corner in Thurso... I noticed the mummy in the Spar this morning!!:Razz
/quote]

Not the Spar in Castletown connieb:eek: please say it wasnt:eek:Yes, for 20 Lambert and butler and a tin of Whiskas???:confused:

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 23:12
[quote=phoenix]Yes, for 20 Lambert and butler and a tin of Whiskas???:confused:

Dare I ask:lol:who was the whiskas for? Didnt know that Mummies smoked:confused:You been on the wine connieb?[smirk]

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:15
[quote=connieb19]

Dare I ask:lol:who was the whiskas for? Didnt know that Mummies smoked:confused:You been on the wine connieb?[smirk]I heard him say the whiskas was for Elvis, but yes the fags were definitely for him... I watch him light up as soon as he got out the door... one in each hand..lol .. :Razz

phoenix
22-Jan-06, 23:32
[quote=phoenix]I heard him say the whiskas was for Elvis, but yes the fags were definitely for him... I watch him light up as soon as he got out the door... one in each hand..lol .. :Razz

Thatll be what that strange smokey smell is thats always lingering around Castletown.:roll:...... maybe the Mummy should change to menthol..... did you notice if he had an axe sticking out of his head connieb? [para]Wonder what Elvis was doing with whiskas........:confused:

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:42
[quote=connieb19]

Thatll be what that strange smokey smell is thats always lingering around Castletown.:roll:...... maybe the Mummy should change to menthol..... did you notice if he had an axe sticking out of his head connieb? [para]Wonder what Elvis was doing with whiskas........:confused:Hmm, I'm not sure about the axe:confused: I never took that much notice. As for Elvis and the Whiskas, it was rabbit and lamb favour, don't know if there's a clue in that or not??
I think the new underwear shop is open next week.. maybe you might catch a glimpse of the mummy in there!! His scants were looking a bit grubby..lol

auldalto
23-Jan-06, 11:14
The facts about Viewfirth closing are as follows:-

There was a Committee meeting last night and there is now to be a Special General meeting on Friday 10th February,2006 at 7.30pm.
The Blood Donors are certainly going to be in Viewfirth on Thursday 9th February,2006 as is quoted on their web site.

Loafer
23-Jan-06, 18:12
The facts about Viewfirth closing are as follows:-

There was a Committee meeting last night and there is now to be a Special General meeting on Friday 10th February,2006 at 7.30pm.
The Blood Donors are certainly going to be in Viewfirth on Thursday 9th February,2006 as is quoted on their web site.

I take it they still get the free pint and nip??!! For "committee" read "rabble"

The Loafer

flowertot
23-Jan-06, 20:27
I take it they still get the free pint and nip??!! For "committee" read "rabble"

The Loafer

They don't still get free drinks that was scrapped a couple of years back now!!!!!!

The committee is doing a good enough job, if more of the members started using the club it wouldn't be in this situation!!!!!

hell raizer
23-Jan-06, 21:59
yeh ok it mite be a dump but look at the old brewery.that place mite be listed but it should be ripped down that is what u call a dump

hell raizer
23-Jan-06, 22:04
i would rather go to the viewfirth for a drink least you can here your self think and the rock concerts always bring the people in but more people should use it

Loafer
23-Jan-06, 22:47
They don't still get free drinks that was scrapped a couple of years back now!!!!!!

The committee is doing a good enough job, if more of the members started using the club it wouldn't be in this situation!!!!!

Flowertot

The foundations for the state the Viewfirth is in were laid as far back as the early 70's by mis-management. When my father was a barman there, lock-ins were the norm, and the manager at the time would say "put all the drink on my tab"
The following day, when the manager was shown his tab, which was in excess of £100 (a hell of a lot in 1973) he would laugh and rip it up. This happened on many occasions.

This is what my father saw, as a part-time barman, god knows what else was going on in the place.

So it has nothing to do with members not using the club, just with the way the place has been since day one.

The Loafer

Whitewater
24-Jan-06, 00:03
Flowertot

The foundations for the state the Viewfirth is in were laid as far back as the early 70's by mis-management. When my father was a barman there, lock-ins were the norm, and the manager at the time would say "put all the drink on my tab"
The following day, when the manager was shown his tab, which was in excess of £100 (a hell of a lot in 1973) he would laugh and rip it up. This happened on many occasions.

This is what my father saw, as a part-time barman, god knows what else was going on in the place.

So it has nothing to do with members not using the club, just with the way the place has been since day one.

The Loafer

Have to agree with you loafer, I knew one gentleman who was chairman for a spell (he is now deceased) who had a cupboard packed full of booze in his house (all the hard stuff), when I asked why he had come by so much booze I was told it was the perks of the position. He was a friend of a friend of mine and we were invited round for a drink, so long ago now I've forgot the reason.

The main problem with Viewfirth (my opinion) is that the committee did not have to run the place as a business as they were always subsidised by the UKAEA. They should have taken some lessons from the clubs in Wick which were always run and managed by their committees and had to make a profit otherwise they had to close down. All the Wick clubs have been in business for a very long time (since Wick was dry I think), the most recent being the Wick Dounreay Club and as far as I know it has been run independently and well for many years now. (I am not a member of the Wick Dounreay club)

Loafer
24-Jan-06, 08:10
Have to agree with you loafer, I knew one gentleman who was chairman for a spell (he is now deceased) who had a cupboard packed full of booze in his house (all the hard stuff), when I asked why he had come by so much booze I was told it was the perks of the position. He was a friend of a friend of mine and we were invited round for a drink, so long ago now I've forgot the reason.

The main problem with Viewfirth (my opinion) is that the committee did not have to run the place as a business as they were always subsidised by the UKAEA. They should have taken some lessons from the clubs in Wick which were always run and managed by their committees and had to make a profit otherwise they had to close down. All the Wick clubs have been in business for a very long time (since Wick was dry I think), the most recent being the Wick Dounreay Club and as far as I know it has been run independently and well for many years now. (I am not a member of the Wick Dounreay club)

Whitewater

You have hit the nail on the head!! And do you know that maintenance on and in the Viewfirth is STILL subsidised by the UKAEA??!!

The Loafer

janette
24-Jan-06, 11:44
Again well said Loafer. The 'Authority' also pay for the insurance for the fabric of the building.

About members using Viewfirth. If members were at all interested in the club, it is strange that to required quorum of 50 members for an AGM was dropped to 30 members. Many times an AGM had to be reconvened as a quorum had not been reached.

Whitewater
24-Jan-06, 12:06
I get the impression from what 'janette' and 'loafer' are saying that the members (or what is left of them) and the committee have been living in a fools paradise for too long and never took on board the running and management of the club.

I have over the years had many good times in Viewfirth and although I have not been in the club for a few years I will be sorry to see it close. It was a great asset to the Dounreay workers and also the people of Thurso. It is just a great pity that the members and committee had not the foresight to take the management of the club seriously. It appears that this oversight has now returned to haunt them.

janette
25-Jan-06, 14:26
When Viewfirth first opened, it was manditory that all new employees of UKAEA were given the opportunity to join as members, and pay their subscription through the wages/salary. This now does not happen,
(the subscription can still be paid this way) and with the, what seems neverending, opening of new bars in the town, unfortunately Viewfirth has been left behind. Somehow a generation has been lost to the club.