PDA

View Full Version : Can you go News-free?

Rheghead
03-Nov-08, 18:49
In this day and age, you can't go anywhere let alone near the tv, computer, radio or a newspaper without news events being rammed in front of you. I am getting a bit tired of this 24 hour news culture and I got to thinking how long I could go blissfully unaware of the world outside. I reckon I couldn't go a week without seeing what was going on, not because it isn't possible but because I think being fed with the latest news is a form of addiction, we are news junkies.

How about you? Could you go til xmas say, or just a few days? Or could you never go news-free?

silverfox57
03-Nov-08, 18:56
could and will try not to to see any news on Tuesday with dam USA elections.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 18:58
Easy to go without news. Done it several times while abroad - had no idea about the BA crash at Heathrow in January until someone told me about the disruption being caused...

Valerie Campbell
03-Nov-08, 19:12
I don't think I could go news-free. Well, perhaps with the exception of tomorrow. I like to know what's going on in the world. I do however think the news can go over the top with its coverage, especially if it's a big story where they don't know all the facts and begin their dreaded speculation.

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 19:16
I could, and perhaps should.
Unlikely though...the wireless is my constant companion during the day, and last thing at night also. I am definitely a news junkie...as so much of it is bad this has a negative effect upon me.
I often feel like shooting myself !
Good job I've not got a gun.

Rheghead
03-Nov-08, 19:23
I often feel like shooting myself !
Good job I've not got a gun.

Yeah, I feel such dispair for humanity such as that like when I heard the story of the monster who killed his own daughter by snapping her spine over his own knee.[evil] The mother got a suspended sentence for letting him do it.[evil]

badger
03-Nov-08, 19:24
I'm totally addicted to News and News commentary programmes like PM and Newsnight. Might even keep listening to hear the first result from across the pond - wish we had Peter Snow with his swingometer to liven things up.

badger
03-Nov-08, 19:27
Yeah, I feel such dispair for humanity such as that like when I heard the story of the monster who killed his own daughter by snapping her spine over his own knee.[evil] The mother got a suspended sentence for letting him do it.[evil]

Followed today by the mother who smothered her 3 year old son and then went on the Internet to get a new boyfriend. Cruelty to children is the worst news.

Julia
03-Nov-08, 20:22
I can and do go without news, I very rarely watch the news on TV, I don't buy any newspapers and don't read the news online.

I've only just learned the name of Obama's opponent, Mcain or something and that maniac Palin.

The news to me is all doom and gloom, if I watched it every day I'd feel even more depressed and upset about society in general so I choose to live in my news-free bubble.

Bad Manners
03-Nov-08, 20:35
I tend to go a good two or three weeks without watching reading or listening to the news. But as I work alone I just listen to a cd or two
Most of the news is negative most is repeated in various guises and some is completely distorted. I think if it is important I will find out soon enough.
Is tony blair still prime minister

bekisman
03-Nov-08, 20:40
"what do you think about Princess Diana" he says. Me, being an anti-royalist spout off about hangers on and a drain on the public purse.. "no I mean the crash that killed her yesterday" he retorts.. opps away from the news you see..

Ricco
03-Nov-08, 20:47
Whenever we go away on holiday I look forward to the news blackout and can get quite exasperated by Mrs Ricco constantly wanting the TV on. Grrr!

Ricco
03-Nov-08, 20:50

This knid of news always depresses me, more so because I never had children. I think these 'people' (I use the word figuratively because I do not like to be associated with such monsters) should have their reproductive organs removed... preferably without anaesthetic!

Gizmo
03-Nov-08, 21:40
When i was younger i could easily go a week without paying any attention to the news, but now being a thirty something i am constantly checking the news, probably around 6 to 10 times a day, the first thing i do each day is use the Sky News Interactive to catch up on everything, i don't buy newspapers apart from our local ones so i get all my news from television or online, i doubt very much if i could go a couple of days without wondering if i'm missing something.

squidge
03-Nov-08, 21:43
I did this weekend - went away Friday Came back today - saw no news watched no telly and no mobile phone reception whooo hoooo

Angel
03-Nov-08, 22:07
Since moving to Caithness over 10 years ago we have not had a newspaper... I only watch recorded television and any adverts contained therein are fast forwarded...
If I do not recognised emails they get deleted...
The problem is I still know about everything that is going on in the world as I refuse to block out fellow humans...
A problem indeed...

Angel

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-08, 23:26
Got no choice today. Our paper lad is often late with the P&J but never turned up at all today.(Hope he is OK):confused

trix
03-Nov-08, 23:35
aye, i lek ma daily dose o' 'e star, wid be lost withoot'ed...

TBH
03-Nov-08, 23:37
They can ram as much news in our faces as they like but my bull filter is in perfect working order, so I tend to concentrate on what I consider to be news-worthy and not what they tell me I should be interested in.

northener
03-Nov-08, 23:46
Yup, I tend to use the head-filter when it comes to news. I prefer to watch BBC Breakfast for my daily fix and then ignore the news for the rest of the day.

Having said that, let's be honest, most of the time not knowing what is happening in Uzbogistanshire will have very little impact on our day-to-day lives.

Eh?.....Mr Hitlers' done what?.......

TBH
04-Nov-08, 00:20
Yup, I tend to use the head-filter when it comes to news. I prefer to watch BBC Breakfast for my daily fix and then ignore the news for the rest of the day.

Having said that, let's be honest, most of the time not knowing what is happening in Uzbogistanshire will have very little impact on our day-to-day lives.

Eh?.....Mr Hitlers' done what?.......Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when the news broke that David Beckham broke his metatarsal and could you believe that it was worthy of being a headliner?[lol]

Rheghead
04-Nov-08, 00:28
And oh the irony of it!!:lol::roll: I'm glad someone was taking notice.

wifie
04-Nov-08, 00:29
Haven't bought a newspaper since I don't know when. Never watch telly news (hardly watch telly these days) unless I stumble across it. Might read something highlighted on here and I do listen to Radio 2 most days so of course pick up the news bulletins. Anything interesting I will check out otherwise I am a news free zone.

TBH
04-Nov-08, 00:31
And oh the irony of it!!:lol::roll: I'm glad someone was taking notice.Nothing to do with irony Rheghead, I only took interest because I like football so it was newsworthy to me but not on the scale it was presented.

Tilter
04-Nov-08, 00:35
In a word - no.

Bit of Radio 4 or 2 but mostly read all my news on-line (you can pick out what you want). Get a Sunday paper for the puzzles.

northener
04-Nov-08, 00:35
Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when the news broke that David Beckham broke his metatarsal and could you believe that it was worthy of being a headliner?[lol]

David who?;)

I know a Doctor Who....

wifie
04-Nov-08, 00:37
David who?;)

I know a Doctor Who....

Do you KNOW him? OK so who is he gonna regenerate into? :)

Anne x
04-Nov-08, 00:39
Do not purchase Newspapers get my fix from www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) regional national and International news I get the Groat and Courier second hand for which I am grateful and anything I really miss I get on the org which i can follow up

TBH
04-Nov-08, 00:44
David who?;)

I know a Doctor Who....Aye, him. The one that was bummed up as being a world class footballer when in fact he was little better than average compared to some of the true world class performers that England has had over the years.