PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Poppy v's English Poppy

brokencross
03-Nov-08, 10:55
When watching TV you see most presenters and guests wearing their Remembrance Poppy with pride.

However, I only found out yesterday that there is a distinct difference between a Scottish Remembrance Poppy and the English Remembrance Poppy (can't speak for other UK bits). The difference can be seen if you watch a TV interview in Scotland or a news presenter on the Scottish news.

The Scottish Poppy has 4 petals and does not have a green leaf.
The English Poppy has 2 petals and a green leaf.

This from "poppyscotland" website faq's

"Why does the Scottish poppy not have a leaf?

Unlike the English poppy, the Scottish poppy has four petals and no leaf. Apart from being botanically incorrect, to put a leaf on each of our poppies would cost £15,000 each year, money we feel is better spent on supporting veterans and their dependants in Scotland.

makes sense eh??

Not earth shattering info, but now you know.

bekisman
03-Nov-08, 11:14
"The Scottish Poppy has 4 petals and does not have a green leaf.
The English Poppy has 2 petals and a green leaf. "

Looks like the amount of material is the same?

arana negra
03-Nov-08, 11:17
I always thought oor poppy was the richt ane :D never liked the leaf

2 + 1 never made four when I went to school :lol:

brokencross
03-Nov-08, 12:07
"The Scottish Poppy has 4 petals and does not have a green leaf.
The English Poppy has 2 petals and a green leaf. "

Looks like the amount of material is the same?

Different colour, different shape, an extra manufacturing stage to assemble - I presume

Kenneth
03-Nov-08, 13:28
And it seems there are none with pins these days just those bloomin useless plastic stems!!

Torvaig
03-Nov-08, 13:30
Oh but Kenneth, don't you know that pins are dangerous these days? I don't know how we survived when they were used; I never heard of any pin related deaths but then what do I know......:roll:

Bad Manners
03-Nov-08, 14:06
Whether it be four petals or two wether it be with or without leaf is imeterial Please buy which ever you can as it all goes towards help and aid to our armed forces especially when we are still at war on various fronts.
Please wear your poppy with pride. and dont forget to teach the younger generation what it is all about

Gizmo
03-Nov-08, 14:36
Oh but Kenneth, don't you know that pins are dangerous these days? I don't know how we survived when they were used; I never heard of any pin related deaths but then what do I know......:roll:

It's probably classed as an offensive weapon these days:confused[disgust]

binbob
03-Nov-08, 14:41
white poppy for me....

anneoctober
03-Nov-08, 14:45
white poppy for me....
OK - since I'm the blonde one , - I'll ask - "white poppy"??

arana negra
03-Nov-08, 14:53
White Poppy info here http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/index.html

I have never seen a white poppy for sale.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 15:37
The white poppy is disrespectful to all those who laid down their lives defending this nation.

Wear a white poppy if you think that we should all be speaking German now [disgust]

And pins are still available in the boxes of poppies - you just have to ask/look.

Buttercup
03-Nov-08, 15:38
And it seems there are none with pins these days just those bloomin useless plastic stems!!

'fraid you got it wrong there. I bought one with a pin from a box in a shop in Thurso. It was a mixed box of pins and plastic stems.

plumber
03-Nov-08, 17:04
I also got one with a pin, have been in two dofferent places where the boxes were mixed, pins and plastic stem

wifie
03-Nov-08, 17:09
Whether it be four petals or two wether it be with or without leaf is imeterial Please buy which ever you can as it all goes towards help and aid to our armed forces especially when we are still at war on various fronts.
Please wear your poppy with pride. and dont forget to teach the younger generation what it is all about

Good point Bad Manners but deffo think the English poppy manufacturers should have a wee rethink if £15K is the difference!

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 18:07
I bought a re-usable plastic one for the car - no leaf. It will be re-used year after year, and I'll still put me hand in me pocket, perfectly gladly. I do buy poppies for my jackets but they are doomed to a short life...reflecting so many of those they honour...not being flippant. I take Remembrance very seriously.

Torvaig
03-Nov-08, 18:33

Very much to the point and you are right.

Buttercup
03-Nov-08, 18:49
Here's a musical remembrance:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

binbob
03-Nov-08, 19:27
The white poppy is disrespectful to all those who laid down their lives defending this nation.

Wear a white poppy if you think that we should all be speaking German now [disgust]

And pins are still available in the boxes of poppies - you just have to ask/look.

no disrespect intended...i have a grandfather lying over in france ,having been killed just 18 days before WW1 ended ans another grandfather who died at a fairly young age due to the effects of mustard gas in WW1.
also many other relatives involved too.
i remember them all throughout the year,not just in nov.

binbob
03-Nov-08, 19:29
White Poppy info here http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/index.html

I have never seen a white poppy for sale.

thanks for the link....u can buy white poppies there too.

rfr10
03-Nov-08, 21:18
You get stick on poppies which is basically the petals and the centre but with an adhesive bit on the back.

George Brims
03-Nov-08, 21:51
I would like you to clarify that remark. Surely support for the idea that wars are a bad idea is not in any way disrespectful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. I am sure that were they still around, many of them would agree. The white poppy to me is a compromise. It says "I commemorate your sacrifice" as well as "I wish you had not had to make it."

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 22:39
I have no problem with pacifists using a white poppy but IMO if you wish to show your objection to the futility of war then there are 364 other days of the year on which that may be done - for example June 28th (Outbreak of WWI).

But to coincide the wearing of the white poppy with that of the original is, again IMO, a mark of disrespect.

TBH
03-Nov-08, 22:55
I agree, the wearing of the white poppy is a mark of disrespect. What have white poppies got to do with Flanders.

northener
03-Nov-08, 23:38
white poppy for me....

Idealist claptrap riding on the back of dead troops.

If they are so convinced they are right, why do they feel the need to feed off the Poppy appeal?
Surely they must believe that their case is so strong that it is capable of standing on it's own two feet........

golach
03-Nov-08, 23:45
I cannot imagine wearing a white poppy at any of the Armistice Parades. will be looked upon as being respectful to the memory of all those who gave their lives for their Country.

TBH
03-Nov-08, 23:53
There are plenty of days on the calendar that they could use instead of hijacking armistice day.

Aaldtimer
04-Nov-08, 03:54
The thing that everyone seems to ignore is why there should be such a thing as the Earl Haig Fund in the first place. Why should our veterans have to rely on Charity? The Government is keen enough to send them to war, why can't they do the honourable thing and provide for their needs in the aftermath?
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists still endure it seems.:~(

binbob
04-Nov-08, 10:36
I would like you to clarify that remark. Surely support for the idea that wars are a bad idea is not in any way disrespectful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. I am sure that were they still around, many of them would agree. The white poppy to me is a compromise. It says "I commemorate your sacrifice" as well as "I wish you had not had to make it."
thank u for that...u said it perfectly..and how true u words are.

binbob
04-Nov-08, 10:39
The thing that everyone seems to ignore is why there should be such a thing as the Earl Haig Fund in the first place. Why should our veterans have to rely on Charity? The Government is keen enough to send them to war, why can't they do the honourable thing and provide for their needs in the aftermath?
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists still endure it seems.:~(
well said...my sentiments exactly.but the people whon donate their paltry little sum every year for the red poppy do feel better...does that really make up for such great losses in war????and the people left to suffer afterwards...

binbob
04-Nov-08, 10:41
Idealist claptrap riding on the back of dead troops.

If they are so convinced they are right, why do they feel the need to feed off the Poppy appeal?
Surely they must believe that their case is so strong that it is capable of standing on it's own two feet........
it does stand on its own feet and has done for years...only ignorant folk do not know or even understand...[evil][disgust]

golach
04-Nov-08, 11:03
it does stand on its own feet and has done for years...only ignorant folk do not know or even understand...[evil][disgust]
The White Poppy movement seems to be a Canadian originated organisation, and far be it from me to miss call my Canadian pals, I cannot see why this organisation has jumped onto the Red Poppy campaign. By all means condemn wars, the Red Poppy does not glorify war but is a symbol of memorial to all who have given their lives since the Great War.
Have your White Poppy day, but do not decry our day of memorial, have it on another day just not November 11th.
I will be wearing my Red Poppy with pride.

MadPict
04-Nov-08, 11:27
well said...my sentiments exactly.but the people whon donate their paltry little sum every year for the red poppy do feel better...does that really make up for such great losses in war????and the people left to suffer afterwards...

That 'paltry little sum (http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=newsdetail&asset_id=518682)' actually provides essential help for many many people. Where exactly does the money from white poppies go? Some obscure peace movement?...

golach
04-Nov-08, 11:32
Even the Royal Canadian Legion has no time for these poppies

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Legion_upset_over_white_poppies

northener
04-Nov-08, 13:19
it does stand on its own feet and has done for years...only ignorant folk do not know or even understand...

Nope, it doesn't stand on it's own two feet - it feeds off publicity created by Rememberance Day and the poppy as a symbol. Otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to use an already well established mark of rememberance.
The website is quite laughable...it tells us that we are 'bullied' into wearing the red poppy as the only true way to show respect. They cast aspersions about whether you have to wear a poppy to show respect and then they ...wait for it...try to sell us a poppy!

I have no problem with pacifist movements whatsoever. I can agree with many of their sentiments. However, I do not agree with idealist posturing at services that are there to comemmorate the dead and injured on all sides. Rememberance services bring together factions from all political and nationalistic circles into an area of joint respect. It is not the place to promote 'world peace' or some ideology that says that all military solutions are bad.
Nor is it likely to be the place for people wearing white poppies that promote an organisation that believes that " Britain's recent lunatic and illegal activities in Iraq and Afghanistan....." - is the statement of a organisation that has no political axe to grind.[disgust]
Whether the wars are lunatic, illegal, immoral, not much fun or just downright pointless is neither here nor there. This is about rememberance and respect - not what is right or wrong.

If you believe I am wrong on this, BinBob, may I suggest you get yourself hence to your nearest Rememberance Day parade, stand amongst the veterans who are marching and begin to spout off about illegal wars and world peace. I'd like to see you do that...I really would. In fact, if you go to the one in Wick, you may even find yourself preaching to me personally.

As for 'only ignorant folk do not know or understand' - this is true. If you do not have knowledge of a given subject then you cannot understand. So therefore you must be ignorant of that subject.
Thanks for that...what are you getting at?;)

binbob
04-Nov-08, 13:48
[quote=northener;453894]Nope, it doesn't stand on it's own two feet - it feeds off publicity created by Rememberance Day and the poppy as a symbol. Otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to use an already well established mark of rememberance.
The website is quite laughable...it tells us that we are 'bullied' into wearing the red poppy as the only true way to show respect. They cast aspersions about whether you have to wear a poppy to show respect and then they ...wait for it...try to sell us a poppy!

I have no problem with pacifist movements whatsoever. I can agree with many of their sentiments. However, I do not agree with idealist posturing at services that are there to comemmorate the dead and injured on all sides. Rememberance services bring together factions from all political and nationalistic circles into an area of joint respect. It is not the place to promote 'world peace' or some ideology that says that all military solutions are bad.
Nor is it likely to be the place for people wearing white poppies that promote an organisation that believes that " Britain's recent lunatic and illegal activities in Iraq and Afghanistan....." - is the statement of a organisation that has no political axe to grind.[disgust]
Whether the wars are lunatic, illegal, immoral, not much fun or just downright pointless is neither here nor there. This is about rememberance and respect - not what is right or wrong.

If you believe I am wrong on this, BinBob, may I suggest you get yourself hence to your nearest Rememberance Day parade, stand amongst the veterans who are marching and begin to spout off about illegal wars and world peace. I'd like to see you do that...I really would. In fact, if you go to the one in Wick, you may even find yourself preaching to me personally.

As for 'only ignorant folk do not know or understand' - this is true. If you do not have knowledge of a given subject then you cannot understand. So therefore you must be ignorant of that subject.
THE END......

binbob
04-Nov-08, 13:54
[quote=binbob;453900][quote=northener;453894]Nope, it doesn't stand on it's own two feet - it feeds off publicity created by Rememberance Day and the poppy as a symbol. Otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to use an already well established mark of rememberance.

I DO NOT NEED A CERTAIN DAY TO REMEMBER THE DEAD TROOPS...HOW MANY WARS HAVE U FOUGHT???I HAVE THE RIGHT TO THINK AS I MAY AS DO THE REST OF U.
I NEVER ATTEND REMEMBRANCE SERVICES...AS I SAID I DO NEED A CERTAIN DAY OR PLACE.
SO HAVE A GOOD REMEMBRANCE DAY AND REMEMBER MY FAMILY MEMBERS WHO DIED IN WORLD WARS 1 AND 2 AND THE SUFFERING TO THE MANY THEY HAD TO LEAVE BEHIND.
U JUST DO NOT GET THE MEANING OF PEACE...AND NEVER WILL.
PEACE BE WITH U,END OF SUBJECT FOR ME.

northener
04-Nov-08, 14:26
You seem to be a bit touchy Binbob, chill out man.

I don't need a given day to remember either, there's not many days that I don't think about certain things. - We're a lot closer to each other on this subject than you seem to think.
Remember in your own way by all means.....just don't involve organisations that are more interested in promoting ideologies on the back of Rememberance Day.

As to your question asking how many wars I have fought in...just the one, my friend. The Falklands. That was enough for me.

binbob
04-Nov-08, 16:36
You seem to be a bit touchy Binbob, chill out man.

I don't need a given day to remember either, there's not many days that I don't think about certain things. - We're a lot closer to each other on this subject than you seem to think.
Remember in your own way by all means.....just don't involve organisations that are more interested in promoting ideologies on the back of Rememberance Day.

As to your question asking how many wars I have fought in...just the one, my friend. The Falklands. That was enough for me.
i still think u are wrong...but am glad u made it back safely from the falklands.i am sure u will have ur very private memories of this.no hard feelings.

bekisman
04-Nov-08, 17:14
Using capitals is a sign you are losing it - a pacifist action?, quote Binbob: "I DO NOT NEED A CERTAIN DAY TO REMEMBER THE DEAD TROOPS...HOW MANY WARS HAVE U FOUGHT???I HAVE THE RIGHT TO THINK AS I MAY AS DO THE REST OF U.
I NEVER ATTEND REMEMBRANCE SERVICES...AS I SAID I DO NEED A CERTAIN DAY OR PLACE.
SO HAVE A GOOD REMEMBRANCE DAY AND REMEMBER MY FAMILY MEMBERS WHO DIED IN WORLD WARS 1 AND 2 AND THE SUFFERING TO THE MANY THEY HAD TO LEAVE BEHIND.
U JUST DO NOT GET THE MEANING OF PEACE...AND NEVER WILL.
PEACE BE WITH U,END OF SUBJECT FOR ME. "

My grandfather died at Mons amongst the RED poppy, it's totally (imo) immoral for pacifists to jump on the bandwagon and try and hijack an original idea, and yes Binbob I HAVE fought in wars, so consequently 'know the meaning of peace'..

Tighsonas4
04-Nov-08, 18:59
donnt know what those who gave their lives would think of our war about poppies as has been said the main thing is to raise as much as possible to help those at erskine. goverments have been stingy in this respect to say the least
my grandfather had 8 serving sons in ww1 one paid the ultimate sacrifice
they got a pension of 5 bob a week and when one died it was cut to two and sixpence. main thing is LEAST WE FORGET TONY

percy toboggan
04-Nov-08, 20:53
My grandfather died at Mons amongst the RED poppy, it's totally (imo) immoral for pacifists to jump on the bandwagon and try and hijack an original idea, and yes Binbob I HAVE fought in wars, so consequently 'know the meaning of peace'..

Michael Palin had a prog on the other night about the last day of 'The GReat War' He mentioned Mons quite a lot early on, many wer ekilled there in the wars closing hours - did you seem it Bekisman?

hotrod4
04-Nov-08, 21:56
Why not stick all those white poppy wearing ignoramus' onto a field in some far flung land with barely enough food to keep you alive and see what happens. They couldnt phone the health and safety executive thats for sure.
Its wearing the red poppy that shows that something done by our fathers,grandfathers will NEVER be forgotten. THEY stuck up for soemthing they believed in for the better of the world and the human race,without them you wouldnt have the liberty to wear a white poppy,think on that.
Or if far flung lands are too far away then think on Ulster,thats only a short ferry ride across the water, british troops died there too and thats part of our country.

Let them never be forgotten.

northener
04-Nov-08, 22:03
i still think u are wrong...but am glad u made it back safely from the falklands.i am sure u will have ur very private memories of this.no hard feelings.

Thanks for that comment Binbob, I genuinely appreciate it.

Absolutely no hard feelings whatsoever, old chap. Cheers.

bekisman
04-Nov-08, 22:45
Percy: "Michael Palin had a prog on the other night about the last day of 'The GReat War' He mentioned Mons quite a lot early on, many wer ekilled there in the wars closing hours - did you seem it Bekisman? "

No 'fraid I missed it, but I've been over to visit his grave - very moving. I actually took a little earth from it and took it back to my Mum before she died..

binbob
04-Nov-08, 23:16
Thanks for that comment Binbob, I genuinely appreciate it.

Absolutely no hard feelings whatsoever, old chap. Cheers.
thank u very much...i am not a chap ,just a fiesty female...i truly do not wish to disrespect anyone and will never forget those who gave their lives so that we can live.i simply have different thoughts than the majority.
good night.,northerner.;)

binbob
04-Nov-08, 23:18
Why not stick all those white poppy wearing ignoramus' onto a field in some far flung land with barely enough food to keep you alive and see what happens. They couldnt phone the health and safety executive thats for sure.
Its wearing the red poppy that shows that something done by our fathers,grandfathers will NEVER be forgotten. THEY stuck up for soemthing they believed in for the better of the world and the human race,without them you wouldnt have the liberty to wear a white poppy,think on that.
Or if far flung lands are too far away then think on Ulster,thats only a short ferry ride across the water, british troops died there too and thats part of our country.

Let them never be forgotten.

only onr word for these comments...POPPYCOCK!!!![lol]

TBH
05-Nov-08, 00:38
Armistice day is a day for the remembrance of the sacrifice that members of our collective families made, not a platform for the anti-war movement.
War is not something that anyone likes but it has been a neccessary evil but Armistice day certainly does not try to glorify it in any way so hijacking the day serves no purpose other than to disrespect the fallen, imho.

JAWS
05-Nov-08, 03:01
White poppies? Why not just wear a white feather?

My family were lucky, two World Wars and one great-uncle got a shrapnel wound.
I will wear a poppy to remember those, and their families, who were not so lucky.

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 07:55
only onr word for these comments...POPPYCOCK!!!![lol]

Why thank you for the negative rep binbob, for a pacifist you dont practice what you preach.
But then again going by your posts its the type of thing I would expect[disgust]
May you too be blessed with negativity!

Maybe if you experienced a wartime situation yourself then maybe then you would see exactly what it means to serve your country and how grateful you feel to return home after trying to save peoples lives as opposed to talking about it.
Actions speak louder than words.

Its people doing this that gave you your freedom and the white poppy is a disgrace,but then again its them who sacrificed that gave you the right to wear it,why should you care?. disgrace

hotrod4
05-Nov-08, 08:14
And lest we not forget the 11 dead and 63 injured form the Enniskillen blast in 1987.
After all they were going to pay their respects to those that died and ending up being slaughtered.
How anyone could place a bomb on rememberance sunday is beyond me.