PDA

View Full Version : A question for the boffins

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-08, 10:31
I have a question for the more computer aware amongst us on the org.

Most people like to email each other with somthing funny that they have found on the web or received from a freind.

Although it goes without saying that most would have anti virus software,but is it safe to asume that because its come from a freind then it must be ok.

One of the things that concerns me about the pass it on type email is our email address goes with it and shows on a list.

Why do people put these type of funny email or cute animal photo ones together in the first place.

I tried to delete certain imformation from an email that I wanted to foward to a freind and it tied my computer in knotts.

I am sure some sound advice on what to do before opening a message would be of use to many of us.

Torvaig
03-Nov-08, 13:45
When I only want to send part of an e-mail, I highlight, select and copy the parts I need.

E-mails that are forwarded on willy nilly are a nuisance because as well as being capable of transferring a virus they do show all the addresses of recipients thus giving the unscrupulous the chance to harvest them.

If I want to send on the whole e-mail, I delete all unnecessary script before I do......

Maybe it is time to ask your correspondents to stop sending these types of e-mails and hope that they take heed!

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-08, 14:03
When I only want to send part of an e-mail, I highlight, select and copy the parts I need.

E-mails that are forwarded on willy nilly are a nuisance because as well as being capable of transferring a virus they do show all the addresses of recipients thus giving the unscrupulous the chance to harvest them.

If I want to send on the whole e-mail, I delete all unnecessary script before I do......

Maybe it is time to ask your correspondents to stop sending these types of e-mails and hope that they take heed!

That is what I tried to do .
I just wanted to forward the part of the email that was interesting.
I tried to delete peoples email details and anything that I thought inapropiate for me to forward and it tied my outbox up and it took a while to sort out.
I do enjoy some of the stuff that I get sent to me and the people I forward to enjoy them as well.
I just thought that some of our more experienced orgers could offer advice and caution to us more naive posters to make sure we don't caurse ourselves, or more importantly our freinds any problems.

arana negra
03-Nov-08, 15:05
OHHHHHHHHHHH this is a bug bear of mine, I have asked friends NOT to send me all their address book and that of everyone else who has forwarded the entire caboodle on and on and on. They don't listen :-( I only ever forward to more than one person by using 'bcc' mode and seldom do even that ... I tend NOT to foreward these fun mails at all... miserable git eh

I have even tried sending them all the info I can/could glean from the addresses they send on BUT still they continue to do it ( their full names, where they work, the dept they work in, their work colleagues etc )

Apart from my address book being just that 'my address' not half the worlds business these mails help clog up the system. As for so called 'virus warning' the majority of them are spam, all you need to do is look them up on google to discover this and the fact they are months old :roll:

Torvaig
03-Nov-08, 18:52
That is what I tried to do .
I just wanted to forward the part of the email that was interesting.
I tried to delete peoples email details and anything that I thought inapropiate for me to forward and it tied my outbox up and it took a while to sort out.
I do enjoy some of the stuff that I get sent to me and the people I forward to enjoy them as well.
I just thought that some of our more experienced orgers could offer advice and caution to us more naive posters to make sure we don't caurse ourselves, or more importantly our freinds any problems.

Did you hit "forward" first and then alter the contents as I don't think you can alter it when it is still just the email as it sits in the "in" box. If you did I give up! :lol:

badger
03-Nov-08, 19:32
Finally I think most of my friends have got the message as I never, ever forward chain mails and I tell them so. I just delete them and if that makes me a miserable git, I can live with it. They're a nightmare, they reveal all those addresses to complete strangers and, like spam, they just clog up the system.

As Torvaig says, once you've hit forward you should be able to edit an email without anything dreadful happening. Sounds very odd.

Ricco
03-Nov-08, 21:06
I get a number of friends and family who forward long lists of things or those dreadful chainmail things; of, and crude jokes. I don't even read them these days - simply delete them straight away.