PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Postal Charges in Highlands - Petition

Tilter
02-Nov-08, 23:10
I've been asked to put this petition on the Org: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/highlanddelivery/ as it is protesting the amount we pay in delivery charges up here. There have already been a couple of threads on here complaining about it.

Thanks

Torvaig
03-Nov-08, 00:13
Many thanks for your link.....:) Let's hope someone is listening and will act on it....

Dorrie
03-Nov-08, 02:27
Signed and confirmed.

ciderally
03-Nov-08, 08:45
ok ...done that...hope it works

Bad Manners
03-Nov-08, 09:49
I hope someone will pay attention to this and actually do something to resolve the situation

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-08, 10:16
I filled out all my details and then noticed it is a goverment web site.
Can the goverment be trusted with my details?:lol:
I hope nobody leaves them on a bus in Nigeria.:confused

The macs
03-Nov-08, 10:17
Signed, thanks
Fingers crossed

bobandag16
03-Nov-08, 11:31
I've been asked to put this petition on the Org: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/highlanddelivery/ as it is protesting the amount we pay in delivery charges up here. There have already been a couple of threads on here complaining about it.

Thanks
signed on list passthe word on good luck

teenybash
03-Nov-08, 21:46
Petition signed.......................:eek:

Bobinovich
03-Nov-08, 23:39
Yep, have been on the receiving end of excessive charges for long enough. Petition signed.

Oddquine
03-Nov-08, 23:43
Petition signed.

raymac
11-Nov-08, 00:41
signed :grin:.

Sniperama
11-Nov-08, 16:11
have placed my name down hopefully it will work

emb123
12-Nov-08, 09:26
yes, signed. I agree that postal surcharges charges are an anachronism. Should have been phased out years ago and do the Highlands economy no good service whatsoever.

dousslesh
12-Nov-08, 10:11
Signed! Think this petition should be published in the local press to make more people aware of it's existence.

veekay
12-Nov-08, 20:20
Signed. Been hit by this again today so am just a bit cross[disgust]

Kevin Milkins
12-Nov-08, 21:13
I just ordered some ink cartridge's from Amazon so it will be interesting to see if and when they turn up.
I don't think the postage would be any different than anywhere else.
Must check that out.

Tilter
13-Nov-08, 12:49
Signed! Think this petition should be published in the local press to make more people aware of it's existence.

Perhaps it's something our councillors or MSP should take up. Their email addresses are at: http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorscontactdetails/

Kevin Milkins
13-Nov-08, 15:41
I just ordered some ink cartridge's from Amazon so it will be interesting to see if and when they turn up.
I don't think the postage would be any different than anywhere else.
Must check that out.

I orderded the above at 2-25pm yesterday and were dispatched at 4-13pm
yesterday(12thNov). 10-30 am this morning(13thNov) they were on the carpet in the hallway.I didn't even hear the postman open the door.
Apart from the considerable saving of buying on line, how do you put a price on that sort of service? or would it be a one off?

Mrs Sweetie
14-Nov-08, 11:49
It's not just the cost that irritates me, it's the number of companies who refuse to deliver up here because they assume the KW postcode is Orkney.

Having said that, there are many companies who offer wonderful service - like parcels arriving the next day - and the cost is no more than anywhere else in the UK.

oldmarine
15-Nov-08, 20:19
I filled out all my details and then noticed it is a goverment web site.
Can the goverment be trusted with my details?:lol:
I hope nobody leaves them on a bus in Nigeria.:confused

Sure hope it will work for you folks. If it was my government here in the USA I doubt that it would work.

linkside
16-Nov-08, 11:04
Signed and sent

Average
16-Nov-08, 18:05
What basis do you have for claiming that the delivery charges are unfair?

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 18:27
I've never had a problem with the royal mail, not the prices anyway. It's the couriers who charge extra and I don't see what difference a petition will make to them. A lot of companies charge extra to post up here and refuse to use the royal mail instead of couriers. Again, I don't see how a petition would change that. :(

badger
16-Nov-08, 19:41
It's the couriers that the petition is complaining about, not Royal Mail. It has to be worth trying as some of the surcharges are completely indefensible. I've just complained to one of the biggest mail order groups who charge £30 for two man heavy delivery to UK Mainland (please note - where do they think we are?) and £75 to the Highlands. They charge £55 to N Ireland - is that nearer than us? If that's not unfair, I don't know what is.

Sapphire2803
16-Nov-08, 20:15
Oh I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm just wondering how much influence the government can have in private industry. Like you say, worth a try. :)

Baconbuttie
19-Nov-08, 22:04
I went shopping on gadgetshop.com for a few xmas presents, in the shopping basket it quoted postage at 3.85 for 4 items when I put in my postcode it calculated it at 42.00

Mad1man
20-Nov-08, 02:54
petition signed.

Looked at a £15 purchase recently from a company offering free delivery on the UK mainland - as soon as my postcode went in there was a £16 delivery charge. The same delivery in shorter time from Post office would have been £4.20. Enough of false advertising and discrimination

router
20-Nov-08, 11:31
signed,
what gets me is how companies can say uk mainland-x amount for postage plus a fiver and more if you live in the highlands.no extra is charged if you send a normal letter to here so what's the difference.
was on e-bay looking for a fish tank heater,found one £7.95+£1.75 postage for uk mainland,though postcode starting with iv kw etc call for an extra £5!
got one from a place in birmingham same price no extra postage,obvious some companies are cashing in or just don't want the buisness

mm1ii2aa3
28-Nov-08, 23:02
It's not just the cost that irritates me, it's the number of companies who refuse to deliver up here because they assume the KW postcode is Orkney.

Having said that, there are many companies who offer wonderful service - like parcels arriving the next day - and the cost is no more than anywhere else in the UK.
hope someone will do something about it

Tilter
29-Nov-08, 21:04
Sure hope it will work for you folks. If it was my government here in the USA I doubt that it would work.

Old marine, sounds like your new Prez will be very web-friendly and you'll be able to go on-line and lobby for your pet policies.

Beat Bug
02-Dec-08, 16:48
I had to send a laptop back under warranty. DHL said they would collect last Friday. No one callled, so I phoned them Saturday. They couldn't understand why, so rearranged for collection Monday. 6PM Monday they collected under Friday's referrence! They had sub-contracted out to a local courier!

Mrs Sweetie
02-Dec-08, 18:23
It took nearly 6 weeks for a courier to collect an item for return to John Lewis for me. Each time a collection date was arranged it came and went without an appearance by the courier. John Lewis refused to let me post the item back because they "do not have the facilities to receive mail" :roll: Finally it was collected and the next day another courier arrived looking for the same parcel. [evil]

Sorry, this is not the same as surcharges but the rant did me good. :lol:

Shalom
02-Dec-08, 21:50
I buy a lot of craft items online. One site was charging £3.65 for courier delivery.....then last week, I found it had suddenly gone up to £8.45!! Quite a hike! Still, they had a sale on and the incredible bargains made up for it! (e.g. DCWV cardmaking kits that sell for £10 were only one pound!) I bought a lot so I still got a good bargain......but I did resent paying extra! :mad:

One the other hand, there are one or two good guys out there. A firm called Cutting-edge Crafts gives free courier delivery....I asked for a heavy item I bought from them (die cutting machine) to be delivered by Royal Mail and they agreed and it was still free. Most other sites were charging £12 to £20 for delivery of that item! :D

Just going to sign the petition!

pat
03-Dec-08, 10:56
Signed

Did have a wee chuckle yesterday and contacted Consumer Direct too.

I live on Western Isles

Company have order from before and delivery was free (two weeks ago) when went to order yesterday was told £19.95 delivery as it was heavy - package buying was £20, so doubling cost. Told any other time, except for this package, if buying would be free, unless it was heavy! - when questioned why being charged this time - it is heavy!!! Delivery to a pal in Wick was free!!!

The company could not understand why I was laughing but very annoyed at their sense of correctness - advised them would be contacting Trading Standards or Consumer Direct, they told me they work very closely with Trading Standards.

They phoned me back after I had placed order to go to pal in Wick and said they would deliver this once FOC to me in Western Isles as a goodwill gesture. Told firm had already reported this query to Consumer Direct who were passing it to Trading Standards - they were furious.

I then ordered another package to be delivered to pal in Wick with free postage!

dakud007
03-Dec-08, 13:42
Signed and h:cool:pefully some:eek:ne will take action to change this situation!

bedu
14-Dec-08, 19:19
signed...and thanks...fingers crossed.

thrumsterloon
15-Dec-08, 20:54
Signed, we live 4 miles from Aberdeen and are charged extra postage because we live in a remote (ha ha ha) area. I don't know how these companies get away with it.
Thrumsterloon.

cesare
25-Dec-08, 01:01
yes i agree people should be charged for exsessive posting on the org lol[lol]

Gavinp
27-Dec-08, 01:25
I totaly agree that we are being penalised for where we live by some companies and have many similar stories to the ones being given. Unfortunataly I also agree with others that a petition will most likley not do a great deal of good.

Why not start a website or new group that lists all the offenders and all the good companies that do not make the charges. That way we can all benifit from the good companies and maybe it will give the bad ones some adverse publicity that may well cause them to re think. (Fingers crossed.)

Oh ok then. I remember going to order a computer part from www.dabs.com that cost about £5 the postage was to be £3.60 until they found out where I lived. Then it jumped to £20. This was a phone order and I asked them to stick it in a Jiffy bag and post it. They refused. I have never been back to Dabs since.

sandyr
27-Dec-08, 01:39
Hi,
You in the UK are very fortunate to have the Postal Service you have.
Here, just outside Toronto we are lucky if we get delivery 4 days in a week, & it seems there is nearly always part of the Postal Service on strike... Can you imagine.....Delivery on a Saturday//////Unheard of here.....And Fridays....hardly ever.......You lucky people!

badger
27-Dec-08, 13:38
Why not start a website or new group that lists all the offenders and all the good companies that do not make the charges. That way we can all benifit from the good companies and maybe it will give the bad ones some adverse publicity that may well cause them to re think. (Fingers crossed.)

That's a good idea. I tried googling delivery charges to see if anyone else had done it but it seems not. However there is an oldish thread on the Moneysavingexpert forum which could be revived and might get wider publicity than our petition (which is good but I've given up on this govt. listening to anyone sensible) - see http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=213289&highlight=highland+delivery+charges

Maybe an avalanche of posts on here?

Gavinp
05-Jan-09, 16:06
I just check on the progress of this petition only to fine that this petition has been rejected because:

It was outside the remit or powers of the Prime Minister and Government.

As that avenue is not going to help I would ask for comment on the idea of a web site to list all the companies that do not add the charges and the ones that do.

We would need
1. Ideas for how we would collate the information.
2. Ideas for volunteers to colate the information.
3. Somone to host the site (could caithness.org do this).
4. Good designe ideas for the site.
5. A small team to manage the site content.

I am very keen on this idea and would be happy to assist if it proves to be a popular idea.

All of the above are just my ideas. Please post any thoughts or ideas of your own.

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 17:43
Thats it done.

Hope it works!!

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 17:44
I just check on the progress of this petition only to fine that this petition has been rejected because:

As that avenue is not going to help I would ask for comment on the idea of a web site to list all the companies that do not add the charges and the ones that do.

We would need
1. Ideas for how we would collate the information.
2. Ideas for volunteers to colate the information.
3. Somone to host the site (could caithness.org do this).
4. Good designe ideas for the site.
5. A small team to manage the site content.

I am very keen on this idea and would be happy to assist if it proves to be a popular idea.

All of the above are just my ideas. Please post any thoughts or ideas of your own.

Should have read this before i done it.

Silly me!!

Still said thank you for me signing it tho!!

Mrs Sweetie
05-Jan-09, 18:16
Ordering something before Christmas, I was given the option of delivery to Scottish Mainland and a variety of postcodes, or Scottish Highlands and Islands and another variety of postcodes including KW. The difference in delivery cost was about £20. I chose Scottish Mainland but gave my full and correct address, fully expecting an email from the company to say I had ticked the wrong box and would have to pay a higher cost. Low and behold the parcel arrived within 3 days, at the cheaper delivery cost and with no comment from the company or courier.

Bad Manners
05-Jan-09, 19:12
Ordering something before Christmas, I was given the option of delivery to Scottish Mainland and a variety of postcodes, or Scottish Highlands and Islands and another variety of postcodes including KW. The difference in delivery cost was about £20. I chose Scottish Mainland but gave my full and correct address, fully expecting an email from the company to say I had ticked the wrong box and would have to pay a higher cost. Low and behold the parcel arrived within 3 days, at the cheaper delivery cost and with no comment from the company or courier.
This happens quite a lot I allways tick the uk mainland box on the odd occasion they question it I politely point out that we are the mainland especially when they advertise free shipping to uk mainland.

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 19:23
This happens quite a lot I allways tick the uk mainland box on the odd occasion they question it I politely point out that we are the mainland especially when they advertise free shipping to uk mainland.

will remember this next time i am ordering :D

Tony
05-Jan-09, 23:37
Ordered an item last month and the company were advertising free delivery to mainland u.k except the Highlands and Islands or Ireland at £10 extra using Parcel Force.

Tony
05-Jan-09, 23:44

I tried this but they put my order on hold and contacted me to point out the additional charge. I insisted that I was on the mainland but they said that Parcel Force were charging the extra £10 and had no option to pass it on.

theone
05-Jan-09, 23:48
Sorry but what was the point of this petition?

What control does the person being petitioned have over the price?

Why don't we petition the government that the price of a pint in the Comm isn't the same as Top Joes? Nonsense!

I don't like paying more to get something delivered, but if you buy something that's going to be delivered by a courier you have to accept the couriers charges. I agree with the sentiment in this thread but the petition is a waste of time.

Kodiak
06-Jan-09, 00:46
Sorry but what was the point of this petition?

What control does the person being petitioned have over the price?

Why don't we petition the government that the price of a pint in the Comm isn't the same as Top Joes? Nonsense!

I don't like paying more to get something delivered, but if you buy something that's going to be delivered by a courier you have to accept the couriers charges. I agree with the sentiment in this thread but the petition is a waste of time.

In my experience it is not the Carrier/s who are overcharging but the Seller/s.

As an Example I ordered one Item from one seller and the total weight was 12 Kilos. They informed me it would Cost £14.00 for delivery + £25.00 Extra as I live in the KW Postcode.

They also said it was not their fault as this is what their carrier charged. I asked them who there carrier was. I was advised they used CityLink so I said I would get back to them.

I then Phoned CityLink and asked them why they charged an Extra £25.00 to deliver to me at KW Postcode. They said they Didn't and who said that they did. I told them the name of the seller and was informed by CityLink thet they were regular customers of theirs and that they would only becharged £9.95 to deliver a parcel weighing 12 Kilos to me in Postcode KW. So that if they were going to charge me a total of £39.00 for delivery it was them that was overgharging and Not CityLink.

So I phoned the seller again and informed them what CityLink had said and they said "Thats our price take it or leave it" So I Left it. I did get what I wanted from another seller and had no problem as they had one price for carriage, £6.95 as long on UK Mainland. I was aked if I lived on the UK Mainland and I said I did and They then only Charged me £6.95. I received the item 2 Days later by JGB Parcels who had it passed on to them Via Interlink.

This has happened to me several times over the past year or so now and I refuse to pay extra to get items delivered to my home, so I always look for another supplier. So far I have always have been able to do so.

theone
06-Jan-09, 03:32
In my experience it is not the Carrier/s who are overcharging but the Seller/s.

As an Example I ordered one Item from one seller and the total weight was 12 Kilos. They informed me it would Cost £14.00 for delivery + £25.00 Extra as I live in the KW Postcode.

They also said it was not their fault as this is what their carrier charged. I asked them who there carrier was. I was advised they used CityLink so I said I would get back to them.

I then Phoned CityLink and asked them why they charged an Extra £25.00 to deliver to me at KW Postcode. They said they Didn't and who said that they did. I told them the name of the seller and was informed by CityLink thet they were regular customers of theirs and that they would only becharged £9.95 to deliver a parcel weighing 12 Kilos to me in Postcode KW. So that if they were going to charge me a total of £39.00 for delivery it was them that was overgharging and Not CityLink.

So I phoned the seller again and informed them what CityLink had said and they said "Thats our price take it or leave it" So I Left it. I did get what I wanted from another seller and had no problem as they had one price for carriage, £6.95 as long on UK Mainland. I was aked if I lived on the UK Mainland and I said I did and They then only Charged me £6.95. I received the item 2 Days later by JGB Parcels who had it passed on to them Via Interlink.

This has happened to me several times over the past year or so now and I refuse to pay extra to get items delivered to my home, so I always look for another supplier. So far I have always have been able to do so.

Well Kodiak, you've enlightened me somewhat.

However, whether it's the couriers or the sellers overcharging, I stand by my belief that petitioning the government is nonsensical.

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-09, 09:13
Well Kodiak, you've enlightened me somewhat.

However, whether it's the couriers or the sellers overcharging, I stand by my belief that petitioning the government is nonsensical.

I think I know where you are coming from theone, but as I understood it,the petition is about the KW post code which gives the impresion that Caithness is in the Oakney's.

badger
08-Jan-09, 18:01

Where did this info come from? I've just looked at the petition again and it is still running. Also there was an article in yesterday's P&J
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1016071?UserKey=
which seems to indicate it's still live.

When/why was it unstuck from the forum? Seemed to happen over the holiday period.

Gavinp
12-Jan-09, 21:00
Where did this info come from? I've just looked at the petition again and it is still running. Also there was an article in yesterday's P&J
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1016071?UserKey=
which seems to indicate it's still live.

When/why was it unstuck from the forum? Seemed to happen over the holiday period.

I just too another look and badger is quite correct it is still going??????

I looked some time ago (as per my post) and it appeared to be closed. Either I miss read or they had a problem at the site. Either way sorry for the confusion folks.

Sage
02-Feb-09, 14:58
Hi Everyone,

I know one did the rounds a while back but this is a new petition (at least I think its new, I've only just been sent the details) to get the PM to look at the ridiculous charges we have to pay.

May not do any good, but its worth trying....again!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/highlanddelivery/#detail

Sarah
02-Feb-09, 18:06
Done, and I really hope it will make a difference!

Sage
02-Feb-09, 19:19
Thats where it went to! Thanks to the mods for the merge :D

davie
02-Feb-09, 21:09
I dont do petitions but I have a simple solution to excessive delivery charges - I shop elsewhere !