PDA

View Full Version : Contratulations Lewis Hamilton

tommy1979
02-Nov-08, 20:57
for taking the F1 championship in dramatic fashion today!!! he must have promised Glock a shot of his pussycat doll girlfriend though :lol:

respect for the dignity in defeat shown by Massa as well

however this made me laugh, so close but yet so far...unlucky chaps

http://i38.tinypic.com/34i1bnp.gif

young_fishin_neep
02-Nov-08, 21:04
was glad i caught then end of it today... was definatly dramatic... but hamilton pulled through just wehn he needed to

congrats to him

unluky massa

xx

Tristan
02-Nov-08, 21:15
Edge of my seat at the end there - well done!

golach
02-Nov-08, 21:18
Well done Lewis, what a way to win!!!

Anne x
02-Nov-08, 21:18
Pure utter Brill really well done and last coverage by itv what a present

lynne duncan
02-Nov-08, 21:19
finger nails were definitely being bitten, am i being to suspicious of glock pulling up, or was it genuine and the spits of rain did affect his grip!, shame for massa but he took it very well. and congrats to lewis.
would hate to have been where the family were sitting the tension!!!!

who has the coverage for next year if itv don't

Kodiak
02-Nov-08, 22:22
BBC have the Contract to Air the F1 Grand Prix for the next 5 Years.

I am looking forward to see if they will use the same Music to introduce it as they did before, "The Chain"

bekisman
02-Nov-08, 22:23
Lynn Duncan: "am i being to suspicious of Glock pulling up" Yep you are being suspicious as Glock was the only one still on slicks! Ron Dennis and his team told Hamilton he did not have to worry about Vettel as he would catch Glock in the last lap as he had slicks..

But what a race! I kept using Sky+ to watch and rewind Ferrari being so happy and then so sad (poetic justice?) Lets pray that next season will see sensible unbiased stewarding

Mik.M.
02-Nov-08, 22:28
Well done Lewis! Real edge of the seat stuff. The footage of Massa`s family was great,you can see the exact second they realised that they hadn`t won.Oh dear what a pity,never mind. Massa and Ferarri have been handed so many points this year the FIA should hang thier heads in shame.Lewis Hamilton Formula 1 World Champion has a nice sound to it. Sorry to see David Coulthard crash out of his last race.He should have beeen a champion too,it just never happened for him,but it wasn`t for lack of trying.

rockchick
02-Nov-08, 22:35
To be honest, I didn't think he'd pull it...last lap and he was losing by one...typical Brit...but BOY did he pull it, and pull it well!!! I'm so happy to be wrong! Well done Hamilton!!!

footie chick
02-Nov-08, 22:54
Delighted Lewis did it. The best things come to those who wait. :lol:

Bad Manners
02-Nov-08, 23:09
Lewis has put up with all the bad decisions from the stewards the booing and hissing from ferrari and alonso fans but he has proved them all wrong.
He has been the most reliable driver throughout the season and has pulled off some brilliant wins
he has a very promising future best of luck and well done

Boozeburglar
02-Nov-08, 23:38
Future Prime Minister, methinks.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 00:24
Excellent result only slightly marred by David Coulthard failing to complete even one lap on his very last race...

Metalattakk
03-Nov-08, 02:09
In all honesty, it just shows what a farce F1 has become. You can now stick an impetuous, arrogant, jumped up kart racer (who makes all the mistakes that a kart racer would) in the fastest car and he'll win the World Championship.

Where's the sport (or glory) in that?

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 07:18
In all honesty, it just shows what a farce F1 has become. You can now stick an impetuous, arrogant, jumped up kart racer (who makes all the mistakes that a kart racer would) in the fastest car and he'll win the World Championship.

But if they are all "jumped up kart racers" then they are on an even keel?
Having the fastest car doesnt always guarantee you a win. As most women will tell you metal, its not what you've got its what you do with it that counts !! ;)

bekisman
03-Nov-08, 12:19
MA: "In all honesty, it just shows what a farce F1 has become. You can now stick an impetuous, arrogant, jumped up kart racer (who makes all the mistakes that a kart racer would) in the fastest car and he'll win the World Championship. Where's the sport (or glory) in that? "

Hmmm, a lot of 'impetuous arrogant jumped up kart racers'?, one wonders why Ferrari do not win every single race, as lets face it all their drivers were karters?
Here's just a few;
David Coulthard At the age of 12 he became Scottish Junior Kart Champion.
Jenson Button: 1989 Karting - first in the British Super Prix at the age of nine.
Kimi Raikkonen: 1998 Finnish Carting Champion
Fernando Alonso: 1998 Runner-up in the European karting championship.
Nelsinho Piquet: 2001 Graduates to single-seater racing from karts
Takuma Sato: 1997 Karting champion in the Honda Suzuka Racing School Scholarship.
Felipe Massa,: 1990 when he finished fourth in the Sao Paolo Micro-Kart cat.
Robert Kubica: After entering the Polish Karting Championship aged 11 he triumphed six times in three years.
Nick Hiedfeld: 1988–1993 Karting successes, first at a national level
Sabastion Vettel: At just eight years old, Vettel competed in karting

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 13:30

I have to agree with you on most of your points there Metalattakk.

I thought it was a total farce yesterday. Lewis didn't WIN the F1 title, he was HANDED it by Glock. It was obvious to watch. Would have loved to listen in to Glock's "Team Radio" to find out what he was being told to do.

Perhaps, Lewis's Godfather (Ron Dennis) sorted that one out for him......:confused

One thing's for certain Glock won't get any thanks from Lewis for it...it will of course have been down to his "fantastic" driving skills, etc, etc, etc...yawn

The more media hype that goes on around this guy, and the more people treat him like God.....the more he believes that he is God.

No apologies, I ain't a Lewis Hamilton fan ;)

Have to say tho, just because he came from a karting background doesn't mean to say that all karters are arrogant and jumped up. lol

telfordstar
03-Nov-08, 13:31

well said i feel the same as you on this one one. It was a shame on massa yesterday he did win he race but hardly got a mention. Oh no golden boy hamilton got it all fair dues to him he won championship but massa deserved a little credit. You dont know how hard i prayed for lewis to stay in 6th.

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 13:33
Having the fastest car doesnt always guarantee you a win

Maybe not....but it's a damn good start.

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 13:35
You dont know how hard i prayed for lewis to stay in 6th.

Us too .........lol

ocd
03-Nov-08, 14:50

Well said I agree completely!!! And as for Glock don't even get me started on him!!!

Lewis Hamilton did not win by his talent he won because Glock is an idiot!!

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 14:57
Well said I agree completely!!! And as for Glock don't even get me started on him!!!

Lewis Hamilton did not win by his talent he won because Glock is an idiot!!

But then again if you look at the WHOLE season as opposed to one race, he DID win by merit.
F1 is riddled with injustices and dodgy decisions, whats wrong with one going lewis' way for a change?
Alls well that ends well ;)

Metalattakk
03-Nov-08, 15:09

Hmmm, a lot of 'impetuous arrogant jumped up kart racers'?, one wonders why Ferrari do not win every single race, as lets face it all their drivers were karters?

Have to say tho, just because he came from a karting background doesn't mean to say that all karters are arrogant and jumped up. lol

Just to make myself clear, I never said that all F1 drivers were impetuous, arrogant, jumped up kart racers.

Just one of them.

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 15:19
Just to make myself clear, I never said that all F1 drivers were impetuous, arrogant, jumped up kart racers.

Just one of them.

And that would be the one who won then!!! ;) seemingly beating non arrogant,impetous jumped up kart drivers.
After the racial abuse and injustice he has faced good on the lad,but in typical style some in his homeland will attak him for achieving something he is better at than the rest of us.
jealousy? :confused

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 15:24
And that would be the one who won then!!! ;) seemingly beating non arrogant,impetous jumped up kart drivers.
After the racial abuse and injustice he has faced good on the lad,but in typical style some in his homeland will attak him for achieving something he is better at than the rest of us.

Again....he didn't WIN.....he was GIVEN the title...there is a difference. lol

Having a Godfather who happens to be Ron Dennis ......got to help hasn't it ;)

Metalattakk
03-Nov-08, 15:26

Nope, just sick of the hype and media-driven hysteria that people fall for all the time.

He won, fair enough. But that doesn't make the sport any more valid or interesting these days, and it doesn't mean he's not overly-arrogant or that he's the best driver amongst them all.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 15:35
Again....he didn't WIN.....he was GIVEN the title...there is a difference. lol

Having a Godfather who happens to be Ron Dennis ......got to help hasn't it ;)

Glock did not give the place to anyone - he failed to change his tyres and so messed up -

Timo Glock insists he did not hand the Formula One world title to Lewis Hamilton after the Briton dramatically overtook him on the last lap in Brazil.

That pass was critical, giving Hamilton the fifth-placed finish he needed to become the youngest ever world champion in the final race of the season.

But the German told BBC Radio 5 Live his decision not to change tyres as the rain began to fall ultimately cost him.

"It was a hard race," he said. "I tried my best to get some points for Toyota."

You're just a Hamilton Hater and you're no better than the fans who boo'd him or his family every time they were on the screens at the track....
[disgust]

Next year things may well change anyway - the drivers will be awarded medals (Gold Silver bronze) and at the end of the season the one with most gold will win. If drivers have equal numbers of gold then it is the one with most silver that will be champion. The constructor championship will still be decided on points....

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 15:54
Glock did not give the place to anyone - he failed to change his tyres and so messed up -

....... when driving on slicks in wet, damp conditions you would experience "understeer" so why is it that Glock showed no signs of understeer (and believe me it would be visible in those beasties with over 600 bhp under your right boot)...no tail wiggle....nothing, just pulled over and let golden boy past..........I rest my case. I've watched the clip several times now....still come to the same conclusion.

I don't HATE Hamilton....just really don't like him and that's my prerogative I believe...

telfordstar
03-Nov-08, 15:58
....... when driving on slicks in wet, damp conditions you would experience "understeer" so why is it that Glock showed no signs of understeer (and believe me it would be visible in those beasties with over 600 bhp under your right boot)...no tail wiggle....nothing, just pulled over and let golden boy past..........I rest my case. I've watched the clip several times now....still come to the same conclusion.

I don't HATE Hamilton....just really don't like him and that's my prerogative I believe...

well said. Just so happen that it all went belly up last lap regards to glock maybe a quiet word in his ear might of aided what happen but then again maybe not.

I wouldnt say i was a hamilton hater either but god he gets on my nerves.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 16:00

Have experience of driving a Formula 1 car then do we? Drive on slicks a lot? [lol][lol][lol]

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 16:20
Have experience of driving a Formula 1 car then do we? Drive on slicks a lot? [lol][lol]

Aye, now your catching on quick MadPict...........a 700bhp one:Razz ....

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 16:24
'Scuse me if I prefer to take the word of the person driving the car (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/nov/03/formulaone-motorsports) rather than someone who dreams about it - or plays some racing game on their game station...

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 16:37
'Scuse me if I prefer to take the word of the person driving the car (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/nov/03/formulaone-motorsports) rather than someone who dreams about it - or plays some racing game on their game station...

Get your head out of your rear MadPict.....you haven't a scoobie doo what your talking about....I'm presuming that YOU are the one with the playstation....I don't have one, just the real deal here ....700bhp, 0-100 in under 2.8 secs.

octane
03-Nov-08, 16:40
surprise surprise the squabbling doesnt take long in kicking off. Original post was to congratulate Lewis and then the usual idiots who dont really have an interest in F1 pop in to have a dig......pretty sad!!!

Anyway well done Lewis, its a shame that all these idiots jump on your case, probally cause your young, black and are so confident within yourself. Jealousy and racism is all it comes down too thats all, so im glad this was your way at saying "get it right up ya" to all the no-gooders out there.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 16:50
PP, for someone who has no clue how a thermostat works I doubt you would even be able turn on your 700bhp....

Octane,
With you there.....

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 16:51
surprise surprise the squabbling doesnt take long in kicking off. Original post was to congratulate Lewis and then the usual idiots who dont really have an interest in F1 pop in to have a dig......pretty sad!!!

Anyway well done Lewis, its a shame that all these idiots jump on your case, probally cause your young, black and are so confident within yourself. Jealousy and racism is all it comes down too thats all, so im glad this was your way at saying "get it right up ya" to all the no-gooders out there.

"usual idiots who dont really have an interest in F1"......well you're well off the mark with that comment Octane......you're the idiot on that one.

"Jealousy and racism"...I take severe offence at that...as I'm sure that everyone else who hasn't agreed with you on this thread will as well.

This is a public forum where people can express their own views. I make no apology that I don't agree with yours:confused

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 16:52
PP, for someone who has no clue how a thermostat works I doubt you would even be able turn on your 700bhp....

Octane,
With you there.....

Lost me now MadPict.

You really will kick yourself for making a fool of yourself ........keep it going though, the higher height you have to fall from....

telfordstar
03-Nov-08, 17:15
it makes me wonder now who will everybody vote for come the sports personality on bbc1 this year a young boy racer who steped into one of the biggest manufacturs? in the sport and wins the title (maybe i could even do that) or do we give it to chris hoy you works very hard at what he is and has to wait every 4 years to show every body how hard he has worked to do what he did in taking 3 gold medals my vote to chris hoy this year i think

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 17:27
it makes me wonder now who will everybody vote for come the sports personality on bbc1 this year a young boy racer who steped into one of the biggest manufacturs? in the sport and wins the title (maybe i could even do that) or do we give it to chris hoy you works very hard at what he is and has to wait every 4 years to show every body how hard he has worked to do what he did in taking 3 gold medals my vote to chris hoy this year i think

Aye, he did very well indeed. Shame he only gets to show what he's made of every 4 years.

bekisman
03-Nov-08, 17:32
PP: "....700bhp, 0-100 in under 2.8 secs" ?

Do tell

camor
03-Nov-08, 18:05
All this hoo ha with Hamilton. I am an Alonso fan, have been ever since he jumped into a Minardi, and the way he has been treated in the British media is a disgrace. Fair play to Hamilton but there was a REAL motorsport star crowned again at the weekend. Sebastien Loeb & Daniel Elena won the World Rally Championship for the 5th time. These guys are the most successfull rally crew (at WRC level) ever and never even got a mention on the main channels. The F1 prima dona's could take a look at WRC and learn a thing or two about how to act and behave towards their rivals and their fans.

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 18:12
He has done himself few favours be re-locating to Switzerland, in a move clearly designed to limit his tax liability.

Yet he seems keen to drape himself in the Union flag , surely he can see this might cause some rancour - or perhaps he doesn't care...there is an air of arrogance about him....it's a short gearshift from over confidence after all.

I'm also tiring rapidly of hearing 'he came from a council estate' ! So what!! So did half the nation. His father deserves credit for sensing an inkling of talent and sticking by his Son in a supportive role. A rent book in the sideboard drawer is no barrier to success in Britain - depending how you define success of course - and it's hardly a signpost to humble begginings.

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 18:32
Why is it when a British person wins something it also seems to be the same day that theres an escape at the asylum? ;)
He won over the course of a Season, NOT just one race.
He must've been the best driver or he wouldnt have won.

Using some of the logic that the "escapees" are using that means that because I have a more powerful right Foot than say, Wayne Rooney that means that I am the best Striker in Britain? :confused

For example just because you own a ferrari doesnt make you a good driver, you could own a mini and beat a ferrari,it all boils down to Driver. the ferrari could hit a brick wall on the first corner because its in the hands of a heid the ba wheras the mini driver drives sensibly and waits his time overtakes said ferrari. Does the Mini driver win because:

A:He's got a better car?-No
B:He knows someone?-No
C:Because they used their brains and took their chance-YES

Well done Lewis Hamilton one in the eye for the doubters!!!!

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 18:42

Although I am in the "Hamilton Appreciation society" ;), I do feel that Chris Hoy should win it by a country mile.If he doesnt it will be a severe injustice.

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 19:06
I agree with you hotrod. Cycling is a sport....Formula One is motorised...there is no comparison.

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 19:22
I agree with you hotrod. Cycling is a sport....Formula One is motorised...there is no comparison.

I can of course see where you're coming from PT..... but there is also a real skill in driving these beasties ......especially at speeds of 170+ miles an hour ...not to be sniffed at !

Penelope Pitstop
03-Nov-08, 19:26
[quote=hotrod4;453565]
you could own a mini and beat a ferrari,it all boils down to Driver. thequote]

OK, who's up for Mr Hamilton in the mini next year....lol

Ferarri may not be coming out to play next season anyway.

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 20:10
I can of course see where you're coming from PT..... but there is also a real skill in driving these beasties ......especially at speeds of 170+ miles an hour ...not to be sniffed at !

I agree...it is an art, rather than a sport...certainly a finely honed skill, which also requires a natural aptitude.

Just my opinion Penelope...I'm not disparaging F1. They risk their lives after all....a unique breed, but not sportsmen in my 'umble onion.

George Brims
03-Nov-08, 22:09
Good grief. This is so damn British. For once we produce a supremely talented competitor at a world-wide sport, and as soon as he wins it everyone has to bash him. While people like Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart and Michael Schumacher all regard him as potentially one of the greats of the sport, the armchair critics have to say he's a nobody. I mean what did those guys ever do? I just hate this daft attitude. I also hate to hear from people who profess to dislike my favourite sport, weighing in on the rights and wrongs of it.

As for the Glock business, if he hadn't stayed out on slicks in the wet he wouldn't have been in front of Lewis in the first place. The fortunate thing for Lewis is that the rain kept going, and there was just enough time for Vettel and Lewis to catch him. One less lap to go and it would have been all over. For the conspiracy theorists, Glock and his team-mate Trulli both stayed on slicks, and both did identical lap times of 1:44 on the last lap (18 seconds slower than the previous lap in Glock's case). While I was tearing my hair out, the team were telling Lewis not to panic as they could see on the telemetry that he was going to catch Glock before the end. Glad I didn't know that though, as it would have spoiled the excitement!

PS good on Paula Radcliffe, winning the NY marathon again yesterday.

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 22:18
Hear hear George!!!

Anne x
03-Nov-08, 22:38
Ditto twice and Ditto again what a Champion and what a sport hair raising end and sitting down although Paula was standing up well said George

Ps maybe we will get Golf in the Olympics yet all standing up people decision 2009 LOL

George Brims
03-Nov-08, 22:44
Golf? Golf isn't a sport. It's a game. (Ducks to avoid volley of golf balls).

Anne x
03-Nov-08, 22:50
LOL :lol: Because your previous post was so good will let you off so where do you stand on Tennis :lol:

Mik.M.
03-Nov-08, 23:11
LOL :lol: Because your previous post was so good will let you off so where do you stand on Tennis :lol:
Somewhere on the court might be a good place to start,usually near the white lines at either end:lol:

Anne x
04-Nov-08, 00:22
Somewhere on the court might be a good place to start,usually near the white lines at either end:lol:

[lol] Lol on Back Road at the tennis Courts we were lucky if we had white lines still a lot learned from those days

back on thread we always had the karting at littleferry maybe a future champ in that lot maybe even a world champ [lol]

MadPict
04-Nov-08, 00:24
Golf? Golf isn't a sport. It's a game. (Ducks to avoid volley of golf balls).

Golf is a good walk spoiled.....

Mik.M.
04-Nov-08, 09:29
MadPict,have you been speaking to my father in law coz that what he says[lol]

local
04-Nov-08, 13:22
Congratulations Lewis Hamilton!

Watched the race on the edge of my seat on Sunday. The lad deserves it as since he has entered the sport he has shown what a great talent he is. And along with some other young drivers have been a great advertisement for the sport.

Some people on hear saying he was handed it and not giving him the credit he is due just don’t know what they are taking about im afraid, yes we all know Hamilton’s background. His raw talent got him noticed by Ron Dennis and the Maclaren team at an early age and I don’t disagree that being in a top team aids your chances of winning. But Hamilton wouldn’t be there if he didn’t prove himself year after year in the other classes leading to f1. The car wouldn’t be as good if he as a driver couldn’t develop it over the course of the season and keep it competitive.

Hamilton has got me interested in this sport again after being a Michael Schumacher fan, he has the same ability to do things unexpected and take the chances to win that other drivers wont.

As for glock well a post previous explains that situation, there is no way he would hand it to Hamilton, how you can begin to think that I don’t know and shows no understanding of the sport.

Lewis has shown himself to be a modest young man, who clearly keeps his family close to him. at such a young age he has dealt with all the fame very well. he is a great champion and without doubt there will be more.
potentially a Brittish sporting legend

Penelope Pitstop
04-Nov-08, 13:39
Congratulations Lewis Hamilton!

Watched the race on the edge of my seat on Sunday. The lad deserves it as since he has entered the sport he has shown what a great talent he is. And along with some other young drivers have been a great advertisement for the sport.

Some people on hear saying he was handed it and not giving him the credit he is due just don’t know what they are taking about im afraid, yes we all know Hamilton’s background. His raw talent got him noticed by Ron Dennis and the Maclaren team at an early age and I don’t disagree that being in a top team aids your chances of winning. But Hamilton wouldn’t be there if he didn’t prove himself year after year in the other classes leading to f1. The car wouldn’t be as good if he as a driver couldn’t develop it over the course of the season and keep it competitive.

Hamilton has got me interested in this sport again after being a Michael Schumacher fan, he has the same ability to do things unexpected and take the chances to win that other drivers wont.

As for glock well a post previous explains that situation, there is no way he would hand it to Hamilton, how you can begin to think that I don’t know and shows no understanding of the sport.

Lewis has shown himself to be a modest young man, who clearly keeps his family close to him. at such a young age he has dealt with all the fame very well. he is a great champion and without doubt there will be more.
potentially a Brittish sporting legend

Here, don't insult me (or anyone else on here who has disagreed on this subject) by saying I don't know what I'm talking about...get your facts straight. You know diddlie squat about us.

Ron Dennis couldn't help but notice him from an early age as he is his Godfather (told by Anthony Hamilton to mate of mine)...hence he's known him since he was born........

You got any explanation why Glock lost 18 seconds over 2 corners...just not possible if you were pushing on in a race....

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It's an open forum everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Do agree about Michael Schumacher...he was ace and was a good PR man for the sport. Never caught him bumming himself up or blaming someone else for any errors he made.

buggyracer
04-Nov-08, 13:58
Do agree about Michael Schumacher...he was ace and was a good PR man for the sport. Never caught him bumming himself up or blaming someone else for any errors he made.

appart from throwing a few punches at coulthard? :lol:

local
04-Nov-08, 14:06
Lewis still needs to have the talent and ability to compete at the top levels regardless of any relation to Ron Dennis.

A champion is made over the course of the season so i dont think anyone can say is didnt deserve it. thinks have gone for and agaisnt him over the season as it has for all drivers.

can i just ask why you believe Glock would slow down in order to allow lewis to pass.

Glock gambled that it would not rain to heavy in the last few laps while everyone dived in for wets. his gamble nearly paid off until the rain and water on the track was to much and his tyres no longer worked in these conditions. im sure we both understand the differences in tyre choices and operating windows the efeect on car performance etc.
glock had to slow just to keep on track he wouldnt risk crashing off and im sure he hoped it would be enough to get him home and hold his place. as george brims said his teammate did the same losing the same time to drivers who had changed tyres.

i can tell your not a fan of lewis but surely as a f1 fan or at least someone who with a good understanding of the sport you have to say he is the right man to have won over the season

i am sorry if i offended

MadPict
04-Nov-08, 14:09
Or deliberately trying to ram his opponents off the track (Hill '94, Villeneuve '97) - oh that must just have been spirited driving......

nightspirit
04-Nov-08, 18:17
If all these people who are suggesting that Glock pulled over really really watched F1 all the time they would see just what damp conditions do to these tyres - eg the race where hamilton was penalised and lost the race bue to the cicane incident - they were on dry tyres and skidding over the place. Once the heat goes out of the tyres there is just no grip in that race alone the difference in lap times was over 1 minute a lap when it was wet and the drivers were on dry tyres - that is a helll of a lot of tine and honda would have nothing to gane by giving mclaren extra time - pay attention to the races and the setups just because you are not a fan don't go accusing people of effecrtivly chaeting when you do noe EXPLICITLY know the fact and don't have access to hard data(such as telemitryfrom the cars) to back this up. without this there is no way you can say Glock gave up the place and LET lewis win. people like to say what the think they see and want to see not the facts and reall if we are honest unless we work for toyota f1 can really say for sure so lets stop bashing the drivers over this and just enjoy an exciting race and championship for once.

hotrod4
04-Nov-08, 18:46
Here, don't insult me (or anyone else on here who has disagreed on this subject) by saying I don't know what I'm talking about...get your facts straight. You know diddlie squat about us.

F1 is not a a sport just for the technically gifted with all the data. It is a "spectator" sport which means that alot of people watch it for entertainment value as opposed to "disecting" each race.
It reminds me of the people that watch Star trek and then get upset when something happens that shouldnt. Cartoon guy from Simpsons springs to mind.[lol]
I am not disputing the fact that you know more about the subject than I do but as a "spectator" I am glad he won and deserved it, I dont need to be baffled by science as to the "why's" and "why not's".

George Brims
04-Nov-08, 18:48
You got any explanation why Glock lost 18 seconds over 2 corners...just not possible if you were pushing on in a race....

He didn't lose 18 seconds on 2 corners. He lost 18 seconds on the last lap compared to the lap before, when as anyone could see, the rain was getting heavier. Those almost slick (grooved) dry weather tyres don't work well in the wet. He said afterwards it was all he could do to crawl round in fourth gear and try to stay on the track, hoping not to be caught. The gamble didn't work. I suspect if the shower hadn't got heavier those last couple of minutes he would have managed it. If he had lapped the final lap the same as the previous one (i..e. those 18 seconds faster than he did) he would have been over the line before Vettel and Lewis got there, and getting patted on the back for getting 4th place by a brave gamble.

BTW I think the next person to break that record for youngest ever champion is definitely going to be Vettel. Can't wait to see who gets him for next year. Can't wait for next year, period!

Nibbler
04-Nov-08, 18:57
Well people. No surprise in some of what's been said.

My opinion is that Hamilton has driven well throughout the year and in a lot of ways deserved to win the championship.

I have not followed this year as much as previous years but I did see the bulk of the races.

For me, the one that should be getting the remarks is Hamilton's lovely looking girlfriend. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but, once I heard her open her mouth and speak, the first thing that jumped into my head (not that this happens often :lol:) was - heck, she aint got a brain.

Dont get me wrong, she might well be intellectual but, my first impression was as above. I also dont usually say anything bout people I dont know first hand but, I dont believe anyone here knows Hamilton first hand, and a few things have been said about him.

If anyone should be receiving this 'bad press' it should be her.

My opinion - let the further remarks commence

George Brims
04-Nov-08, 19:19
You know who she is, right? She might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she's done OK for herself. And she is good to look at.

Nibbler
04-Nov-08, 19:31
George - to be honest I dont keep up with who's who but I believe she is in a girl band (Pussycat dolls or something)???

I was just making a point in that Hamilton was being remarked upon in a thread that was originally posted to congratulate him so I was just trying to get the thread away from the 'Hamilton discussion'.

That last race was a good one though and it was a real shame about Coulthard. Last race ever and he doesn't even complete a lap

Tristan
04-Nov-08, 21:47
http://www.savageresearch.com/humor/insanityTest.html

Not really about Hamilton but it does seem appropriate here...grin.

Welcomefamily
04-Nov-08, 23:26
Well done Lewis Hamilton, Glock was having allsorts of problems on the last lap, anyone who watch the british race would have seen lap times of over 15+ seconds for those driver who managed to stay on the track with slicks on.

JAWS
05-Nov-08, 04:22
I've watched the season most of the way through and if anybody is complaining about Glock (driving on slicks is no fun when it is even slightly damp and not just because there is no tread, it's like driving on sheet ice) should recall some of the other "incidents" earlier in the season.

Massa was “gifted” a first place in Japan by his team mate who virtually had to slow to walking pace to let him past at the end to give him the extra points. Team Orders to do that are banned but if the drivers “decided between themselves” to do that then it is alright. What? As Raikkonen said when asked, “I know what the team expects of me.” and nobody said a dickybird about it.

Some drivers penalised for certain actions when others doing exactly the same thing, and I mean obviously so, have nothing done about it.
Rules “reinterpreted” after races completed and penalties suddenly imposed, points deducted from drivers to give advantage to other drivers.

When even retired top class drivers of the level of Nikki Lauda start expressing doubts about the way the organisers are behaving over such things then there is something wrong, especially when he would have every reason, if he were to have any bias, to show it to the team/driver who were the ones gaining from it.

It says a lot when Ecclestone, who owns and runs F1, was asked outright how it was that suddenly the Championship was managing to only be won or lost at the last race of the season replied, “It’s getting more difficult each year.” And he wasn’t smiling when he said it.

Hamilton won the Championship and rightly too in view of what had been happening earlier in the season.
I have every sympathy for Massa who, under the circumstances and very differently to a certain other driver, behaved with absolute dignity.
Raikkonen, who was Ferrari’s No 1 driver this season also behaved like a mature adult and a sportsman by accepting the fact that his No 2 was having a better season and did everything he could to support him instead of having tantrums.

That’s my moan over. All I can say is that I hope next season’s championship is openly won and lost between the drivers racing on the race track, and only between the drivers racing on the race track.

MadPict
05-Nov-08, 12:45
Fair play to Hamilton but there was a REAL motorsport star crowned again at the weekend. Sebastien Loeb & Daniel Elena won the World Rally Championship for the 5th time. These guys are the most successfull rally crew (at WRC level) ever and never even got a mention on the main channels.

Err, funnily enough Loeb was given the same sort of treatment at Citroen - brought in as a young aspiring driver, mentored by team figurehead...

I follow WRC every year and Loeb is a great driver - but unlike F1 they are racing the clock and the stage, not each other, wheel to wheel...