PDA

View Full Version : You are offal, but I like you...

percy toboggan
02-Nov-08, 15:30
...a BBC radio 4 item this morning got me thinking...it takes more than usual on a Sunday.

It was examining the cheaper cuts of meat, like pigs heads, and testicles, tripe etc. I considered what particularly unhealthy food I enjoy...a guilty pleasure if you like.

On Friday I pulled over for a break at about 9-00am, and the satisfying hiss of handbrake had barely subsided by the time the lid was off my butty box. Lacking in hope, expecting a ham salad sandwich or something similar neslting between the slice of melon, and the red grapes...there, wrapped in foil, was a Pork Pie! Eeeh, it wor good ! I wolfed it, yet at the back of my mind I felt strangely ill at ease with myself, knowing that such items contain all manner of cheap cuts, and are held within an unhealthy pastry base, which might even contain hydrogenated fat. Am I foolish to consider such a pie - in moderation - as 'unhealthy' ? Do you also eschew all the current advice from any number of health gurus and partake of whatever you like to eat, be it deemed healthy or not ?

I have eaten perhaps, thousands of pies in my lifetime and as yet, survived to tell the tale.Though latterly they are a rare treat.

WE live in a time when some would micro-manage our lives to the point of purging pies, pasties and the like...should we tell 'em to 'get stuffed' ? or do they really have a point? Whose life is it anyway...and what harm will the odd Pork Pie inflict on an otherwise reasonably efficient metabolism?

What's your favourite Pie?..... I well rememeber life as a 'walking' Postman in the mid-seventies. Calling at Oldham's pie shop in Hyde for a couple of steak and onion for my mid-morning meal. Having been up since half-four and walked about eight miles with a bag on me back, I'd be flippin' ravenous! The pies were cooked on the premises, dripped in juices and gravy and were totally stunning...I'm salivating now at the thought of one...will have to make do with this bottle of 'Old Bob' which is conjuring up all sorts of happy pie related memories.

golach
02-Nov-08, 15:36
My Favourite is a real Forfar Bridie, an ingan ane an aw, or a close second a Tiddy Oggie from the Oggie van at Gosport ferry, heading back to the ship

Gizmo
02-Nov-08, 15:59
These days i try to avoid pies and pastries etc, but every now and again i just can't help myself and indulge in a Johnstons Shell Pie, so unhealthy...but just soooo damn tasty :p

Around 15 years ago, when my delivery job took me down that way, i would always stop at the bakers in Golspie and have one of their steak pies, they were to die for, sadly that bakery has long been closed.

Bazeye
02-Nov-08, 16:25
Bacon butties and fish fingers mmmmmmm.......

Fluff
02-Nov-08, 16:32
A nice roast chicken pie or scottish steak pie from M&S is nice, but good god I do miss Johnstons pies!!

I am sure a little of what you like does you no harm. IF you were eating 3 a day, that is a different story but overall I would say don't worry and enjoy!

hotrod4
02-Nov-08, 17:05
I love greggs pies but dont get south enough to enjoy them!
A Johnstones pie is up there though, But have noticed that sometimes they arent as good.
There Bridies are good as well, especially when they add too much pepper mmmmmmmmmmmm :)

rupert
02-Nov-08, 18:15
Have always thought about making my own pork pies but have never got around to it yet - then you would definitely know what was in them. Its all getting to ridiculous for words all this nanny state you shouldn't eat this, you shouldn't eat that nonsense. I was even told by a doctor once to stop eating bread altogether - the man's nuts!

percy toboggan
02-Nov-08, 18:17
I was even told by a doctor once to stop eating bread altogether - the man's nuts!

So long as he wasn't suggesting them as an alternative!

Rheghead
02-Nov-08, 18:31
...a BBC radio 4 item this morning got me thinking...it takes more than usual on a Sunday.

It was examining the cheaper cuts of meat, like pigs heads, and testicles, tripe etc. I considered what particularly unhealthy food I enjoy...a guilty pleasure if you like.

Just wondering, why do those cheaper cuts of meat considered to be more unhealthy compared to others?:confused Is it based on their fat content? Is there some chemical in them that is harmful? Perhaps you meant to say that they are tougher or less popular rather than unhealthy?

badger
02-Nov-08, 18:44
Have always thought about making my own pork pies but have never got around to it yet - then you would definitely know what was in them. Its all getting to ridiculous for words all this nanny state you shouldn't eat this, you shouldn't eat that nonsense. I was even told by a doctor once to stop eating bread altogether - the man's nuts!

Hate to disagree about bread but I know lots of people who can't eat anything but gluten free. In fact I very rarely eat bread these days and always regret it after. Also know lots of people who can't eat dairy. Personally I think it's all the chemicals and refining that goes on - who knows what we're eating in anything "ready made"?

Do let us know when you start making your own pork pies though (so long as it's not EU pork - too cruel and very difficult to avoid these days). There'll be a long queue. Why stop at pork? I'd love a good steak pie without big lumps of gristle and a decent amount of meat.

Tristan
02-Nov-08, 18:46
Just wondering, why do those cheaper cuts of meat considered to be more unhealthy compared to others?:confused Is it based on their fat content? Is there some chemical in them that is harmful? Perhaps you meant to say that they are tougher or less popular rather than unhealthy?

I think you are correct. It is not so much that the cuts of meat are unhealthy but rather how they are prepared that makes them so. Some of the cheaper cuts often have more flavour too. I know a bit more money than the cuts percy is talking about but a good piece of well aged Scottish rump steak will beat a sirloin or fillet for flavour any day. The others will often be more tender, but flavour goes to the rump...hmmm.

hotrod4
02-Nov-08, 19:10
Shoulder of Lamb is classed by some as a "cheap" cut of meat, but thats my favourite cut.
I have had it for xmas dinner fo the last 3 years and it is always lovely. Its merely a case of adapting your cooking practice to the type of meat you are using.
Thats why stewing steak is cooked longer and slow, when cooked slowly it softens the meat and breaks down the chemical make up.
Fillet etc due to its low fat content is cooked quicker to seal the flavour in.
Personally Fillet is over-rated unless its a very dark red, almost at the "going off" point. A quick rinse under the tap and bobs your uncle.:)
I prefer rump over any other kind of steak due to its make up of fat+meat.
Think about it this way, you pay the same money for the fat as you do for the meat, so leave it on whilst cooking as thats where the flavour is.Cut it off afterwards if you prefer(I do!)

silverfox57
02-Nov-08, 19:36
These days i try to avoid pies and pastries etc, but every now and again i just can't help myself and indulge in a Johnston's Shell Pie, so unhealthy...but just soooo damn tasty :p

Around 15 years ago, when my delivery job took me down that way, i would always stop at the bakers in Golspie and have one of their steak pies, they were to die for, sadly that bakery has long been closed.
have to agree with you about Johnston's shell pies,would get them at side door of bakery when the where hot, but no more as on health diet:(
as for percy pork pies,is not on diet sheet,is in warning part as has fat in pastry,has jelly fat around pork,fat in pork meat,so no pork pies,:(might end up very heathly rabbit with lettice

footie chick
02-Nov-08, 22:56
have to agree with you about Johnston's shell pies,

I prefer Jamiesons mince pies yum yum cant wait until the morning getting hungry now.

Kodiak
02-Nov-08, 23:02
My Favourite is a real Forfar Bridie, an ingan ane an aw, or a close second a Tiddy Oggie from the Oggie van at Gosport ferry, heading back to the ship

I agree a Forfar Bridie can be fantastic, but only from "Wallace's Auld Pie Shop" They are the size of a Dinner Plate and are a Complete meal for one or two, depending on how hungry you are. YUM YUM !!!

Rheghead
02-Nov-08, 23:35
A real cornish pastie from Cornwall is to die for, but never ask for a Cornish pastie in Devon as a thump in the gob often offends, in fact, CornishDevonshire pasties made in Devon might have the edge in the yummy stakes.:D

golach
03-Nov-08, 00:31
I agree a Forfar Bridie can be fantastic, but only from "Wallace's Auld Pie Shop" They are the size of a Dinner Plate and are a Complete meal for one or two, depending on how hungry you are. YUM YUM !!!
Got to Agree 100% Kodiak, nothing surpasses a Wallace's Bridie[lol]

sweetpea
03-Nov-08, 02:38
I'd rather forego the pastry and just have the meat. Give me some liver and kidney and steak on it's own.
If I had to eat pies it would need to be macaroni or something.

arana negra
03-Nov-08, 11:13
Ah Wallace bridies as a Girl Guide, mony a moon ago, I cycled a' the wi' fae Lour camp to get them and ither bits fae that shoppie.

Not an offal fan but do like the liver and kidneys we can buy here, good plate o' liver ingins mash is braw as are some kidney in yer stew.

percy toboggan
03-Nov-08, 17:54
A real cornish pastie from Cornwall is to die for, but never ask for a Cornish pastie in Devon as a thump in the gob often offends, in fact, CornishDevonshire pasties made in Devon might have the edge in the yummy stakes.:D

There's a bakers shop in Looe that conjures up beautiful examples of a proper Pastie. Last time I was down there I remember walking out to that banjo shaped pier and wolfing one down, before sending Mrs.T back to the shop for another. She didn't mind either as I was payin' and she had two too!...otherwise I'd have had a belt for my impudence!

squidge
03-Nov-08, 21:54
Steak and Kidney pudding would be my wickedness - Home made though rather than hollands or the like. Shoulder steak and kidney cooked slowly and then wrapped in suet pastry and steamed for AGES!!!!! Served with the gravy poured over them. I probably havent made them in seven years but oooooooooooh they were good.

It will be interesting to see whether with us all tightening our belts pies willbe fashionable again. Putting something in a pie is a great ay of making it go further, the addition of pastry fills us up more, Mince and onions cooked and put in a plate pie with a double crust stretches much further than without a crust. Making shortcrust pastry is a cheap and easy way to make your money go further and has the added bonus that you know whats in it cos you made it.

One of the most enjoyed meals at our house is cheese and onion pie, in fact i have friends who request it every time they come for dinner!!!! And a proper Lancashire tater Pie supper is a thing to enjoy - red cabbage or beetroot and black peas mmm mmm mmm. WE are combining our heritage this year here in governess and having a tater Pie supper on Saint Andrews day.

percy toboggan
04-Nov-08, 20:48
Cheese and Onion Pie...stupendous when it's reet.
Was always my favourite school dinner - but the competition wasn't great. That's why I'd either cycle home to my Nan's (next door) or go to the chippy...often for steak puddin' and chips - Hollands. Smashin'

helenwyler
04-Nov-08, 21:17
My dad used to make steak and kidney puddings and pies...ahhhh!

When OH and I lived in London we used to go to cafe where they made their own. 'Snake and Pygmy pies' the owner called them, and used to say "Here's your weapons" when he gave us knives and forks :D.

But we were young and skinny and cycled a lot then. I don't make them now as we are battling to keep skinny ;) and don't cycle much any more :confused.

We tried a Fray Bentos one (which we both found fillingly acceptable as students) about 5 years ago, but were very disappointed....bleurgghh!

percy toboggan
04-Nov-08, 21:22
No guide for what's in 'em but those tinned Fray-Bentos pies are a bit....ruff!

Definitely a last resort in our 'ouse...we've had two in a cupboard since 1997 !

Kodiak
04-Nov-08, 21:26
No guide for what's in 'em but those tinned Fray-Bentos pies are a bit....ruff!

Definitely a last resort in our 'ouse...we've had two in a cupboard since 1997 !

Almost there then, leave them to mature for another 14 years and they should be edible by then. :lol:

Lolabelle
04-Nov-08, 21:26
I don't eat any "GOOBIES" ever!!!
I cut all the fat off bacon, steak, chicken, if I find a vein in my steak I can't finish! Dave is quite happy with this arrangement! I love meat, but it has to be totally goobie free or else I start to gag! With eggs, Dave has learnt that he MUST pull the icky bit off before cooking it!
I could almost be a vegetarian, except I really do love meat, and I don't function well without protien, actually protein makes up a big part of my diet, it just has to be goobieless! I accidently ate corned tongue once, and it was so yum, but then I saw the little taste buds and threw up everywhere, I hadn't realised what it was I was eating up until that point. :eek:

Welcomefamily
05-Nov-08, 00:25
A proper Cornish or Devonshire pastie (a oggie is the largest hence the saying oggie ol which was called out by the tin miners wives, the ol from the miners), however it does not contain offal.
I have always used mince or chopped beef or steak mince with the potato, swede and carrots or minced pork with apple and stuffing for the Somerset one.