PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

neepnipper
02-Nov-08, 14:48
I don't think there is any justifiable reason that the general public should be allowed to buy fireworks, they can be dangerous weapons and should only be in the hands of people who are trained to carry out organised displays. They scare animals and can cause terrible injuries.

The over the counter fireworks are pretty naff and very expensive, you usually get a much better display at an organised event.

I love a good fireworks display but at least if it's an organised display you know where it is and when it is so you can keep animals in and out of the way.

Phew... I needed that!:mad:

Lady In Bed
02-Nov-08, 14:52
I don't think there is any justifiable reason that the general public should be allowed to buy fireworks, they can be dangerous weapons and should only be in the hands of people who are trained to carry out organised displays. They scare animals and can cause terrible injuries.

I love a good fireworks display but at least if it's an organised display you know where it is and when it is so you can keep animals in and out of the way.

Do you (or anybody out there) know when / if a display is being held in Thurso this year? We must have the funds or fireworks held back from last year.

neepnipper
02-Nov-08, 14:56
Thurso harbour / beach 6.30 pm next Saturday, listed in What's On.

carasmam
02-Nov-08, 14:58

The over the counter fireworks are pretty naff and very expensive, you usually get a much better display at an organised event.

Totally agree with you neepnipper. The advert on the radio keeps drumming into us 'they are not toys, they are explosives' So why the devil sell them to any Tom, Dick or Harry. [evil]
An organised display is the way to go, those that enjoy fireworks can and
the rest of us can shut the curtains, turn the radio up and keep the animals calm.

Fluff
02-Nov-08, 16:35
I don't agree with the BOGOF offers you get on them but sometimes there are not enough organised displays. I was hoping you go and see one next week with my OH but there are none near by that we can access.
In responsible hands they can be good fun, it is just a shame it is the idiots who spoil it for the rest.

Bad Manners
02-Nov-08, 16:39

100% behind you regarding this The only check made at shops selling these explosive devices is that they are over eighteen. I think it is time that fireworks shoud anly be sold to soweone who has either a licence or permit that way we could stamp out the indescriminat use of fireworks.
Organised displays would be the way to go

GruesomeTwosome
03-Nov-08, 13:40

Totally agree, its time for new legislation regarding these types of entertainment.

talla
03-Nov-08, 15:28
same here neepnipper, i h8 fireworks! they scare kids animals and old people! dinna mind them so much on halloween and nov 5th, but the pointless ones inbetween really annoy me[evil]

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 16:29
Ban the sodding things......

unicorn
04-Nov-08, 19:05
well just had some literally going off above my garden so went out to quickly cover outdoor rabbit hutches as with no warning there is nothing else I can do and whilst covering them I was literally being showered with sparks!!!!!!!!
Not happy, if you are going to put them off have the decency to inform people in your area and put them off so they explode above you own property.

Liz
04-Nov-08, 20:00
It really is time something was done about these flipping things!

How many people and animals need to be injured and frightened before something is done to stop sales to the general public?

Yes I know there are people who use them responsibly and at the appropriate times but,sadly, there are many idiots who don't.

The new laws are ridiculous.

percy toboggan
04-Nov-08, 21:15
I asked out nearly six year old g/daughter if she wanted fireworks or 'some money' She opted, without hesitation for the cash and will visit the 'pound shop' tomorrow to buy a bag full of cheap treats.(she loves it in there)

I used to get the same option, and plumped for the dosh. I'll drive her around for half an hour tomorrow - find some height above Mancunia and watch the rockets. Some other beggar can pay for 'em.

Kevin Milkins
04-Nov-08, 21:27
[quote=percy toboggan;454057]I asked out nearly six year old g/daughter if she wanted fireworks or 'some money' She opted, without hesitation for the cash and will visit the 'pound shop' tomorrow to buy a bag full of cheap treats.(she loves it in there)

I used to get the same option, and plumped for the dosh. I'll drive her around for half an hour tomorrow - find some height above Mancunia and watch the rockets. Some other beggar can pay for 'em.

Its a shame that you chose not to buy a house in Caithness Percy,:confused
You certainly sound if you have the qualifications.:lol:

GruesomeTwosome
05-Nov-08, 14:28
OMG HAVE PEOPLE NO CONSIDERATION!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:[evil]

OK, I will accept fireworks at organised/publicised events and on Nov 5th when I can simply avoid walks but as for every other night DONT PUT THE BLESSED THINGS OFF!!!

I was walking my dog last night at about 6pm and they were going off left right and centre in the middle of Thurso. I could do nothing but keep walking to where I was going (had nowhere else to go) and hope my dog didnt have a panic attack. Luckily she is quite capable of coping with the noise, lights etc but for people walking puppies/rescued and inexperienced dogs that would have been a nightmare and could have caused accidents.

Something needs to be done to prevent this happening.

braalterr903
05-Nov-08, 15:10
theirs fireworks tonite in halkirk 6.30

floyed
05-Nov-08, 20:29
Just had a display in the back garden, was great fun bairns loved it. When i was little we always had fireworks in our garden or a neighbours :D I see nothing wrong with doing them on the 5th.

percy toboggan
05-Nov-08, 20:30
Decided to buy a small box of 'em tonight - thirteen quid. caused some delight in the back garden, done and dusted in half an hour...sounds like a battlefield outside here now - almost anyway - minus the terror of course.

Ash
05-Nov-08, 21:07
[evil]i have one very scared dog!!

Blondie
05-Nov-08, 21:09
And me [disgust]

hell raizer
05-Nov-08, 21:14
and me, [disgust]

carasmam
05-Nov-08, 21:19
Turn the radio up and dance round the sitting room like a divvy with roast beef in your hand, it will take the dogs mind of it - honest :lol::Razz

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 02:29
OMG HAVE PEOPLE NO CONSIDERATION!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:[evil]

OK, I will accept fireworks at organised/publicised events and on Nov 5th when I can simply avoid walks but as for every other night DONT PUT THE BLESSED THINGS OFF!!!

I was walking my dog last night at about 6pm and they were going off left right and centre in the middle of Thurso. I could do nothing but keep walking to where I was going (had nowhere else to go) and hope my dog didnt have a panic attack. Luckily she is quite capable of coping with the noise, lights etc but for people walking puppies/rescued and inexperienced dogs that would have been a nightmare and could have caused accidents.

Something needs to be done to prevent this happening.

Yep I agree. Ban the dogs.

Let's face it, how many people are injured by fireworks compared with people who are injured by dogs, per year? How many toddlers have their faces ripped off by fireworks, compared with attacks by 'devil dogs'?

In responsible hands, fireworks are perfectly safe. The same cannot be said for dogs.

Aaldtimer
06-Nov-08, 02:53
..."In responsible hands, fireworks are perfectly safe. The same cannot be said for dogs"...

Actually, it's usually dogs that are in irresponsible owner's hands that are responsible for any attacks on children!

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 03:00
Of course that's true. But still, perfectly responsible owners have had their dogs attack people.

neepnipper
06-Nov-08, 08:28
It's not just dogs that get scared it's elderley folk, cats, horses, livestock......

The point is would you sell explosives over the counter to people.. no you wouldn't, so why sell fireworks.

floyed
06-Nov-08, 10:11

Let's face it, how many people are injured by fireworks compared with people who are injured by dogs, per year? How many toddlers have their faces ripped off by fireworks, compared with attacks by 'devil dogs'?

In responsible hands, fireworks are perfectly safe. The same cannot be said for dogs.

I agree with you fireworks are fine if you use them properly. There has been loads of stories of dog attacks, not heard many about fireworks.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 11:32
The point is would you sell explosives over the counter to people.. no you wouldn't, so why sell fireworks.

It's not the fireworks that are the problem, it's the people who use them.

Fireworks, like dogs, are potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. What needs to be done is to educate people and perhaps regulate their use. Introduce a Fireworks Licence (and bring back the old Dog Licence too) and make it necessary to pass some sort of qualification to earn the right to use them. It works with cars and guns, why not fireworks? Just a suggestion, folks.

In these modern days, where it is all the rage to just ban things outright, maybe it's a better idea to sit down and think about things and look for sensible solutions.

We don't have to subscribe to the faux Daily Mail outrage, do we?

neepnipper
06-Nov-08, 11:49
I didn't say ban them outright I said keep them to organised displays.

People have been 'educated' for years about fireworks (Firework Code etc..) but still you get idiots chucking them around in the street, putting them through letterboxes etc, there was a man on tv the other week, not a yob, just a dad letting off fireworks for his kids and got half his face blown off when he went to check why a firework hadn't gone off.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 12:25
You can't legislate for stupidity though. I don't see why anything should be banned because some people are idiots.

How can we ban idiocy? :D

GruesomeTwosome
06-Nov-08, 13:45

I think you should read my quote again before attacking my dogs, that is not the issue I was raising. I dont appreciate being attacked like that either.

I said I accept organised displays and fireworks being used by public on nov 5th for which nights I will avoid walking my dogs but as a responsible dog owner I take my dogs out for walks (exercise?) and didnt appreciate going out on the 4th nov and having my dog scared half to death by the noise and lights of the fireworks going off in gardens in thurso. And for all the other responsible dog owners out there there seems to be no consideration, like it was mentioned it is not only dogs but other pets are affected by them too. I handled the situation I was faced with but there would be quite a few owners who may not and lets look at the situation someone out walking their dog, fireworks going off nearby scaring it, owner doesnt know what to do, the dog struggles, slips its lead, runs into the middle of the road and causes a car accident??

I will go to the publicised firework display myself this weekend and enjoy it with my dogs tucked up in the house with a bone, all of us very happy.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 14:02
I think you should read my quote again before attacking my dogs, that is not the issue I was raising. I dont appreciate being attacked like that either.

Seriously, you consider that an 'attack'? Maybe you're just not ready to accept that others have differing opinions. A public forum is perhaps not the best place for you in that case.

I said I accept organised displays and fireworks being used by public on nov 5th for which nights I will avoid walking my dogs but as a responsible dog owner I take my dogs out for walks (exercise?) and didnt appreciate going out on the 4th nov and having my dog scared half to death by the noise and lights of the fireworks going off in gardens in thurso. And for all the other responsible dog owners out there there seems to be no consideration, like it was mentioned it is not only dogs but other pets are affected by them too. I handled the situation I was faced with but there would be quite a few owners who may not and lets look at the situation someone out walking their dog, fireworks going off nearby scaring it, owner doesnt know what to do, the dog struggles, slips its lead, runs into the middle of the road and causes a car accident??

Surely as a responsible dog-owner, you'd be expecting fireworks at this time of year and amend your dog-walking times to suit? Or is your discomfort (in having to change the time you walk your dog) more important than that of your dog?

And please, keep in mind this is just my opinion and does not constitute an 'attack' on you or your dogs, for crying out loud.

neepnipper
06-Nov-08, 14:28
Err.. how can you amend the times when you walk your dog when they are fireworks going off from dusk until who knows what time?

I presume you do not have any animals that are affected by fireworks otherwise you would understand the situation better!

One of the points I was making earlier is that if fireworks were restricted to organised displays then yes, you would be able to walk your dog in peace as you would know what time and where the fireworks would be going off and therefore you would stay indoors at that time.

unicorn
06-Nov-08, 14:31
I must say though I have been delighted by the quiet fireworks that have been going off, well done to the people buying these.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 14:53
Err.. how can you amend the times when you walk your dog when they are fireworks going off from dusk until who knows what time?

GruesomeTwosome was complaining that walking his/her dog at 6pm meant being subjected to a barrage of fireworks (my words). I'll bet that there are no fireworks being set off in the morning, or at lunchtime.

So, it's not rocket science (sorry) to figure out when the best time to walk a dog is.

I presume you do not have any animals that are affected by fireworks otherwise you would understand the situation better!

No, I have to admit, my cat is not overly affected by fireworks -other than being desperate to investigate all the fuss. I don't see how that can impair my understanding of the situation though. ;)

One of the points I was making earlier is that if fireworks were restricted to organised displays then yes, you would be able to walk your dog in peace as you would know what time and where the fireworks would be going off and therefore you would stay indoors at that time.

You could just as easily walk your dog at 9am in perfect peace, like a responsible dog owner would.

golach
06-Nov-08, 15:54
You can't legislate for stupidity though. I don't see why anything should be banned because some people are idiots.

How can we ban idiocy? :D
How do you legislate for acts of terrorism? That these two cases from one newspaper today highlight.
What the poor woman and her family have gone through for the last 4 years is diabolical, and it only occurs at this time of year, Ban the sale of fireworks to the general public would be a simple solution.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Firework-yobs-besiege-widow.4666586.jp

In this particular type of incident, you cannot legislate for the numpty, schemie mentality that prevails in our urban jungles

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Firefighters-handle-the-bonfire-heat.4666560.jp
No mention of dogs in any of the two articles, just animals two legged ones [disgust]

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 16:23
How do you legislate for acts of terrorism? That these two cases from one newspaper today highlight.
What the poor woman and her family have gone through for the last 4 years is diabolical, and it only occurs at this time of year, Ban the sale of fireworks to the general public would be a simple solution.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Firework-yobs-besiege-widow.4666586.jp

A rather draconian solution surely, golach? Take a sledgehammer to crack a nut? And what will the poor woman do the rest of the year...or do they leave her alone and only victimise her when fireworks are available?

Much better would be to deal with the yobs themselves.

In this particular type of incident, you cannot legislate for the numpty, schemie mentality that prevails in our urban jungles

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Firefighters-handle-the-bonfire-heat.4666560.jp
No mention of dogs in any of the two articles, just animals two legged ones [disgust]

Again, if fireworks weren't available would that cure the problem? No, they'd just chuck something else instead - probably their 'devil-dogs'.

Fireworks aren't the problem - yobs are.

golach
06-Nov-08, 16:33
Fireworks aren't the problem - yobs are.
Of these two incidents, if Fireworks were taken out of the equation then possibly they would not occur. And yes it is only at this time of the year that the poor woman and her family are attacked, the yobs tried to fire bomb her house three years ago, and this has become an annual occurrence now.
Ban them from Public Sale, the public have no need for fireworks.

Blondie
06-Nov-08, 16:44
GruesomeTwosome was complaining that walking his/her dog at 6pm meant being subjected to a barrage of fireworks (my words). I'll bet that there are no fireworks being set off in the morning, or at lunchtime.

So, it's not rocket science (sorry) to figure out when the best time to walk a dog is.

No, I have to admit, my cat is not overly affected by fireworks -other than being desperate to investigate all the fuss. I don't see how that can impair my understanding of the situation though. ;)

You could just as easily walk your dog at 9am in perfect peace, like a responsible dog owner would.

Well you bet wrong! There were fireworks going off at 10am last week and there are fireworks going off as I type!

Blondie
06-Nov-08, 16:47

A responsible dog owner??? Are you for real?? You obviously know nothing about dogs or their owners and you are coming across as a complete PRAT! [disgust]

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 16:51
Of these two incidents, if Fireworks were taken out of the equation then possibly they would not occur. And yes it is only at this time of the year that the poor woman and her family are attacked, the yobs tried to fire bomb her house three years ago, and this has become an annual occurrence now.
Ban them from Public Sale, the public have no need for fireworks.

Are you really trying to say that these yobs leave her well alone all year round, and then only when fireworks are available they target her? I'm pretty sure the police would be able to catch them if it was premeditated so openly.

Golach, there are many many things that we, the general public, have no need for, yet can be used for nefarious ends. But that is no reason to ban them all.

Christ, the Daily Mail has a lot to answer for. [evil]

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 16:56
A responsible dog owner??? Are you for real?? You obviously know nothing about dogs or their owners and you are coming across as a complete PRAT! [disgust]

A wonderfully composed and reasoned argument you put there Blondie. Now, are you just going to insult me or have you anything worthwhile to say? :roll:

Blondie
06-Nov-08, 17:10
A wonderfully composed and reasoned argument you put there Blondie. Now, are you just going to insult me or have you anything worthwhile to say? :roll:

I've said what everyone else is thinking. You know it and I know it :roll:

Kevin Milkins
06-Nov-08, 17:13
Its all going wonky again:confused.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 18:14

Congrats for speaking for everyone else. I'm sure they're just chuffed to bits that you're flying the flag for them.

Its all going wonky again:confused.

Aye, that's what happens when people can't handle opinions different from their own. Let's not get sidetracked though:

A responsible dog owner wouldn't be taking their dog for a walk when there are likely to be fireworks on the go.

So, what should we/they do? Take their dog for a walk when there are no fireworks likely, or have the OTT knee-jerk reaction of just banning fireworks?

Seems to me that people want the public sale of fireworks to be banned simply because they don't want to change their routine a wee bit for a couple of days.

carasmam
06-Nov-08, 18:23

Thank you Blondie :D

Liz
06-Nov-08, 18:38
A responsible dog owner wouldn't be taking their dog for a walk when there are likely to be fireworks on the go.

For goodness sake this is the whole point. Fireworks are being set off at all times day and night so how on earth are people supposed to know when to walk their dogs?!

And for the record I do agree with Blondie!

unicorn
06-Nov-08, 18:45
Also it is not just dogs that are disorientated and upset by the loud noises, wild animals, farm animals, all animals. Many animals die unnecessarily at this time of year due to being scared. I have heard more than once of rabbits found in their hutches with broken necks due to panic. If it is just a few nights or just one night as it should be then you can prepare for it but when it is unexpected there is little you can do about it.

kgunn
06-Nov-08, 19:01

If you banned fireworks, these yobs would just get them illegally, or, even worse, make their own.

And fireworks are great to watch anyway, and you get a much better view of them setting off your own than at a crowded organised display.

Metalattakk
06-Nov-08, 19:15
For goodness sake this is the whole point. Fireworks are being set off at all times day and night so how on earth are people supposed to know when to walk their dogs?!

Really? There are fireworks being let off at 8am? I never heard them. No fireworks let off today during daylight hours at all (that I heard). Who on earth has a firework display in daylight?

If you are worried about your dog, then surely you know how to protect it? First on the list is not exposing the dog to fireworks. It can be done fairly easily by taking the dog for a walk outside the prime early evening 'firework display' time-slot.

Honestly, it seriously isn't rocket science.

carasmam
06-Nov-08, 19:30
No fireworks let off today during daylight hours at all (that I heard). Who on earth has a firework display in daylight?

You dont live in/near Wick then ?

justine
06-Nov-08, 19:32
If you are worried about your dog, then surely you know how to protect it? First on the list is not exposing the dog to fireworks. It can be done fairly easily by taking the dog for a walk outside the prime early evening 'firework display' time-slot.

Honestly, it seriously isn't rocket science.[/quote]

Our tank does not go out when the fireworks are going off and he is terrified about the bangs in the house. He comes and cowers by my legs at just the sound of the bang, god knows what he would be like if he saw them. Unfortunately it seems that some dogs dont like them,maybe not rocket science but it does not take much too know not to take dog outside when fireworks are being let off.
I am not a particular fan of fireworks but i dont think they should be banned because of the fear animals have of them, but then neither do i condone the reckless use of them either.

golach
06-Nov-08, 19:32
Are you really trying to say that these yobs leave her well alone all year round, and then only when fireworks are available they target her? I'm pretty sure the police would be able to catch them if it was premeditated so openly.

Christ, the Daily Mail has a lot to answer for. [evil]
I am not trying to say anything , read what it says in the article, the woman and her family tell you their sad story.
And please, try not to use profanities on an open forum, it just goes to show your lack in intelligence IMHO [disgust]

floyed
06-Nov-08, 19:56
What a lot of fuss over a few fireworks at bonfire time. Its not a big deal just keep the animals in at night, take them for a walk before the fire works start.

It is only a couple of weeks of your whole entire life, it wont kill you to change your routine for a few weeks let people have some fun.

You only live once (i hope:eek:) get some fireworks yourself and enjoy them you could be dead tomorrow. What a lot of moaners we have on here:lol:

Liz
06-Nov-08, 20:02
Well it is obvious that those pro fireworks are just going to keep coming up with ridiculous suggestions and are not listening!

Once and for all we are not moaning for the sake of it but just asking that fireworks be let off at the appropriate times (yes they are let off in daylight hours!)so those with animals can make sure they are safe.

As Unicorn says it is not just dogs which are affected.

Anne x
06-Nov-08, 20:31
Middleclass yobs set a hedge and fence on fire in our Court between 11 am -3pm the local police have been out looking all today for them putting leaflets in every door 12 Detached houses
Bonfire Night innocent I think not what turns perfectly nice young youths into yobs setting fire to peoples property
My 8year old Cocker Spaniel is not frightened of fireworks thank god but last night here was horrendous huge bangs all nights which I did not like !!! the whole back of the house was illuminated

Moira
06-Nov-08, 20:44
What a lot of fuss over a few fireworks at bonfire time.......

I totally agree with you and Metalattakk.

What a fuss indeed - that's what I tell my Labrador every year while I am strapping on his ear muffs and explaining that he will have to keep his legs crossed for two weeks. :D

Anne x
06-Nov-08, 20:48
I agree with Organised displays but never witnessed anything like this before although I have to admit was totally unoblivious to a lot of it as on e org at the time :confused

router
06-Nov-08, 20:55
I asked out nearly six year old g/daughter if she wanted fireworks or 'some money' She opted, without hesitation for the cash and will visit the 'pound shop' tomorrow to buy a bag full of cheap treats.(she loves it in there)

wot! the pound shop is that all she got and they say us scots are tight :lol:

router
06-Nov-08, 20:59
I totally agree with you and Metalattakk.

What a fuss indeed - that's what I tell my Labrador every year while I am strapping on his ear muffs and explaining that he will have to keep his legs crossed for two weeks. :D
does your dog understand "cross your legs" that's one bright lab you got there :D

joxville
09-Nov-08, 18:20
If you banned fireworks, these yobs would just get them illegally, or, even worse, make their own.

I don't wish to come across as naive but do you know for a fact fireworks would be available illegally if banned? Wouldn't manufacturer's have to keep a strict control of them? Also, I don't think any yobs are likely to spend any length of time making their own-it's solely because fireworks are readily available that yobs will buy them.