PDA

View Full Version : Oops they did it again!

Tristan
02-Nov-08, 09:26
The government has lost a memory stick with 12 million user names and passwords to their Government Gateway site which among other things has self assessment tax information on it.

Anyone left who still trust the government to keep your personal information (online or in the form of ID cards) safe?

brokencross
02-Nov-08, 09:37
Anyone left who still trust the government to keep your personal information (online or in the form of ID cards) safe?

Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell was forced to apologise after he left confidential ministerial correspondence on a train.

Tristan
02-Nov-08, 09:41
He should have been forced to resign IMHO but I think this memory stick fiasco may be an even bigger problem.

Torvaig
02-Nov-08, 09:47
Why on earth are all these "sticks" being taken out of a secure environment? Does no-one take responsibilty for anything nowadays? I for one won't be entrusting my information with Gateway any more even if it is too late!

Bazeye
02-Nov-08, 17:14
Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell was forced to apologise after he left confidential ministerial correspondence on a train.
Oh thats ok then as long as hes apologised and promises he wont do it again.

badger
02-Nov-08, 18:51
They always apologise. They're taking it very seriously. There will be a major investigation. Somebody broke the rules on this occasion - well it's nice to know at least this company had rules. Makes a change.

Why is anyone ever allowed to copy confidential data on to any moveable medium - laptop, CD, memory stick? I don't care if it is encrypted, which frequently it isn't. Can you imagine the chaos with ID cards?

Let's face it, the Govt. has absolutely no clue about IT and won't ask anyone because that would mean admitting their ignorance.

Torvaig
02-Nov-08, 23:42
It is one thing being dependant on IT; it's another allowing staff to take confidential material outwith secure environments. Why do they take them home with them via taxis, trains, pubs etc? Why should they be allowed to do this? After a few pints or nips their sense of responsibility diminishes just like the rest of us; they should be prosecuted and sacked! And what on earth are they going to be doing with them at home anyway; that is if they manage to hang onto the files, sticks etc., long enough to take them home.

The crux of the matter is that all these departments etc., should be accountable for their security with tough measures being applied, adhered to and ultimately checked regularly to ensure they are being followed by all and sundry. After all, the kitchens in restaurants etc., are more rigorously supervised with inspections and reports made every so often. If that can be done in hotels etc., surely it can be implemented in all offices and departments.

Again, it is all down to the responsibility taken by heads of departments and ultimately the staff themselves. They do know what they are working with and how it should be protected.

Fly
03-Nov-08, 00:10
If they had been working in the private sector they would have been sacked but because they work? for the government they get away with it. It is frightening really to think what could be the outcome of their forgetfulness and carelessness!!!! [disgust]

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 00:32
Let's just cut out the middlemen and put our credit cards, bank accounts, passport details, birth certificates, NI numbers in the street outside our homes.

The inability of this government or those 'employed' by this government to safeguard our personal information is disgraceful and maybe if some serious prison time started getting handed out for the breach of security then perhaps these episodes might be reduced...

Then there is this story......
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1082375/The-zzzzivil-servant-fell-asleep-train-laptop-secrets-view.html

Oddquine
03-Nov-08, 00:55
I must say I have no idea why it would be necessary to take confidential info out of the environment in which it is to be used.

Might be an idea, if info has to be taken home, to put it on a laptop............and attach the laptop to the person's wrist with a handcuff. That way, they'd have to lose a hand to lose the information.

I'm getting decrepit....and I forget things...........but I don't forget important stuff.....so it makes one wonder what all those who lose secret/private information consider important.

anneoctober
03-Nov-08, 14:55
Let's just cut out the middlemen and put our credit cards, bank accounts, passport details, birth certificates, NI numbers in the street outside our homes.

The inability of this government or those 'employed' by this government to safeguard our personal information is disgraceful and maybe if some serious prison time started getting handed out for the breach of security then perhaps these episodes might be reduced...

Then there is this story......
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1082375/The-zzzzivil-servant-fell-asleep-train-laptop-secrets-view.html
BUT, our prisons are overcrowded already - hmmm - the government have us every way...........:eek:

MadPict
03-Nov-08, 15:39
Stop sending people to prison for failing to pay their taxes and maybe some room can be made for those who fail to secure sensitive material.......

Or convert all the immigration centres into proper prisons once you've shipped all the failed immigrants back....

Tristan
03-Nov-08, 20:55
Stop sending people to prison for failing to pay their taxes and maybe some room can be made for those who fail to secure sensitive material.......

Or convert all the immigration centres into proper prisons once you've shipped all the failed immigrants back....

Interesting point. I have always found it odd that punishment is so quick for speed cameras or not paying your TV license. Not to mention mention having your car trashed for not for not paying road tax, is so severer but until recently they didn't think it was right to confiscate drug dealer's property.

badger
03-Nov-08, 21:28
Relax folks, Gordon Brown is personally taking charge of dealing with the lack of security. All will now be well.

Fly
04-Nov-08, 00:05
Relax folks, Gordon Brown is personally taking charge of dealing with the lack of security. All will now be well.

If he does as good a job of that as he has done with everything else, Heaven help us, we'll need it.[disgust]