PDA

View Full Version : Stagecoach brings back direct buses

Mr P Cannop
01-Nov-08, 13:06
operator bows to public pressure over caithness to inverness service

Published: 01/11/2008

Bus firm Stagecoach has bowed to pressure and agreed to reintroduce a direct service between Caithness and Inverness.

Changes introduced on October 6, which added up to half-an-hour extra on the journey, sparked a welter of complaints from passengers.

As well as an extra 10 stops between Dornoch and Evanton, the new timetable meant travellers from the far north missed mid-morning southbound bus and train connections.

The U-turn was announced following a meeting at Thurso yesterday between senior Stagecoach officials and Caithness Transport Forum.

Before the meeting, the three-strong contingent of the Perth-based firm were presented with a 1,300-signature petition.

After the private meeting, the company revealed that it is to reinstate the two previous direct return runs between Thurso and Inverness. It is also to re-time the early-morning direct run so that it ties in with the southbound departures from Inverness.

Charlie Mullen, managing director of Stagecoach’s Bluebird division, said the firm accepted the changes were not popular and was acting speedily to reverse them. He said: “Before we met today we were very conscious of the concerns, and we hope this will be the foundation of a long and prosperous relationship we have with Caithness Transport Forum and the people of Caithness.”

Stagecoach also agreed to review the operation of some local services and pledged to increase the number of low-floor disabled-friendly buses in the far north.

But Mr Mullen ruled out the provision of toilets on the far north buses.

Forum chairman John Green said: “They realised they had to make changes, with the strength of feeling.”

Torvaig
01-Nov-08, 13:10
Many thanks for the update Paul...... let's hope it suits all now.

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 16:04
About time too, but then again there is nothing north of Inverness is there? ;)
At least the company has the kahonas to bow to what the public want.

trinkie
01-Nov-08, 16:35
Thank you Paul - welcome news for many.

sweetpea
01-Nov-08, 18:22
Wonder when it takes effect from? Booked for Tuesday morning hope it starts straight away.

Amy-Winehouse
02-Nov-08, 17:15
Still no toilets??? Q.Why? 3 hours is a long time to wait if you have to go to the toilet.
Once again we are treated like 4th class citizens, wheres Jamie Stone in this whole charade? Or John Thurso? Has anyone contacted them? I didnt know there was a petition or Id have signed it as well

badger
02-Nov-08, 18:29
Still no toilets??? Q.Why? 3 hours is a long time to wait if you have to go to the toilet.
Once again we are treated like 4th class citizens, wheres Jamie Stone in this whole charade? Or John Thurso? Has anyone contacted them? I didnt know there was a petition or Id have signed it as well

Jamie Stone has been very active campaigning on this. Like you I can't understand why they can't also give us onboard toilets. What have they done with all the old buses I wonder? They were getting a bit shabby but at least they had that.

rfr10
02-Nov-08, 21:55
What do they mean by the "two previous direct return runs" ?

There were more than 2 return runs before weren't there?

badger
02-Nov-08, 23:12
I've kept my 2008 download and yes, there were four buses from Inverness to Thurso via Wick - 11.30, 14.00, 16.45 and 18.35 plus one via Wick to Kirkwall at 15.45. I thought there was one at 15.25 which went straight from Latheron to Thurso down the Causeymire but can't see it.

Torvaig
02-Nov-08, 23:25
What do they mean by the "two previous direct return runs" ?

There were more than 2 return runs before weren't there?

By direct runs I would imagine they mean the one that went from Thurso, down the Causewaymire to Latheron thus omitting Castletown, Bower, Wick etc. There was also one that took the same route when coming from Inverness to Thurso.

Mr P Cannop
03-Nov-08, 00:03
I've kept my 2008 download and yes, there were four buses from Inverness to Thurso via Wick - 11.30, 14.00, 16.45 and 18.35 plus one via Wick to Kirkwall at 15.45. I thought there was one at 15.25 which went straight from Latheron to Thurso down the Causeymire but can't see it.

what 2008 download ??

Mr P Cannop
03-Nov-08, 16:05
another update

A two and a half hour bus service between Thurso and Inverness has been reinstated following much public pressure and a closed doors meeting between senior Stagecoach staff and Caithness Transport Forum.

At a meeting on Friday morning between Caithness Transport Forum members and other local stakeholders with Stagecoach officials, Stagecoach Operations Manager, William Mainus announced that the bus company was bowing to public pressure and from the 8th December both the 7.03am Thurso to Inverness service (via Wick) and the 25X 8.03am Thurso to Inverness service (via Halkirk) would be speeded up by limiting stops after Tain, arriving at Inverness at 10.30am and 11.30am respectively. This he said, would allow people to meet forward connections and be in time for hospital and other appointments. Similarly a straight through service on the afternoon 25X service north would be available leaving Inverness at 2.25pm and 4.25pm would be speeded up in the same way making a journey time of two and a half hours end-to-end.

Angry members of the public had been in contact with the Transport Forum, community councils, Highland Councillors and Age Concern Scotland about changes to the service between Caithness and Inverness introduced by Stagecoach since their purchase of Rapsons in May this year. The introduction of the 25X service, which takes passengers from the north through the seaboard villages of Easter Ross adds a further 45 minutes to an already lengthy journey from Caithness. Passengers had complained of lack of onboard toilets, and that toilet stops and navigational issues caused by using drivers who were not used to the route were making the journey even longer and more uncomfortable, particularly for elderly passengers or those who were unwell. The increased journey times also means that connections to other services south by bus, rail and air are being missed and some patients were unable to guarantee that they could meet hospital appointments at Raigmore and other clinics.

Stagecoach Bluebird Managing Director, Charlie Mullen said, " We recognise there have been problems with the 25X service and have taken on board passengers complaints. We sincerely hope that the changes we are making from 8 December will be a positive step forward. We are doing our best to ensure that everyone's views are taken into account and look forward to working with the community to improve the transport links in Caithness. This meeting has been a good foundation on which to move forward."

John Green who chairs the Caithness Transport Forum said he was very pleased with the result of the meeting with the bus company and local stakeholders. "They came prepared to listen and act to change the 25X service so as to meet the criticisms. As a result the service is now back to two and a half hours and a direct route from Dornoch to Inverness with the first bus arriving at 10.30am. This was one of the main requirements of the Caithness bus users."

Other issues discussed at the meeting were changes to local services and a guarantee was given from Stagecoach that the new local timetable (potentially starting in November) would be issued to the Transport Forum and other stakeholders early next week for comment so that alterations might be made if necessary. William Mainus said that a service to Lochshell would be included in the Wick town service and he would look at the possibility of providing a better service to Staxigoe. He also suggested that the Caithness Transport Forum set up a Bus Users Group for the county who meet with Stagecoach representatives four times a year to ensure that the best possible services be provided. Caithness Partnership Co-ordinator, Anna MacConnell, agreed to identify a group of people who would be most appropriate to sit on a bus users panel in Caithness present a broad community view to the bus company. Mr Mainus agreed to attend a meeting of the Caithness Association of Community Councils at their convenience and would be happy to attend individual community council meetings if invited.

Councillor Deirdre Mackay, attending the meeting as a representative of Sutherland Transport Group, was keen to underline the fact that the 25X is an east coast service and speeding it up will be good for the East Sutherland communities too. "Its an issue for the whole of the east coast, " she said " and its important that the East Sutherland point of view is put across. Many members of that community rely on bus transport, particularly to get to work and college, and a regular and efficient service is essential. It was a very positive meeting and, as well as meeting with Caithness bus users, Stagecoach officials have agreed to meet with Sutherland stakeholders sometime in the future."

Aaldtimer
03-Nov-08, 16:35
7.03am - 10.30am = two & a half hours???

badger
03-Nov-08, 17:12
what 2008 download ??

Sorry - that was a bit vague. The old Rapsons timetable I had downloaded as a .pdf file. May - Oct 2008

badger
03-Nov-08, 17:19
Don't wish to seem ungrateful and I'm delighted they are returning more or less to the old timetable but the Transport Forum should have insisted on replacing the onboard toilets. As Aaldtimer says, it's not a 2 1/2 hour bus service from Thurso to Inverness (I don't think these people are very good at arithmetic, either that or they don't know the actual times) and it's just not acceptable for the elderly, very young or anyone who has problems.

I suggest either Mr Mullen or Mr Green has several cups of tea and then tries sitting cross-legged on a cold day from Thurso to Inverness via Wick, preferably with one or two delays.

rfr10
03-Nov-08, 17:56
Also, I don't see why Thurso has priority over Wick when it comes to the service. Why are they allowed an extra service which bypasses Wick?

And I think they mean 3 1/2 hours like before instead of the 4 hour service they have at the moment.

Personally, if I owned the company, I'd have a direct bus from Thurso-Wick-Golspie-Inverness with no stops at all between these destinations! Not that that will ever happen.

Mr P Cannop
03-Nov-08, 18:20
the first bus will be in inverness at 10.30 am

purplelady
03-Nov-08, 22:44
good i have been down to inverness a couple of times in the last month and found the jounery awful to say the least

Mr P Cannop
04-Nov-08, 18:36
whats everyone views about the report i posted ??

badger
04-Nov-08, 21:08
If John Green is quoted accurately I fear he knows as little about the bus service up here as Stagecoach, which as Chair of the Caithness Transport Forum is a bit sad.

Mr P Cannop
07-Nov-08, 14:42
SIR – On the subject of Stagecoach buses on the route between Caithness and Inverness – there is a problem with these buses which I feel needs to be addressed.

My wife and I went to Inverness on the bus on October 25, and we returned on October 28. On the way down there were fairly high winds in evidence. When we crossed the Dornoch Bridge the problem was very much in evidence – the door was being forced open with the force of the wind. We thought that the door was nearly ripped off the bus. Fortunately this did not happen.

On the return journey, when we reached Caithness, the same thing happened. We were subjected to the force of the gale inside the bus due to the door being partly opened. The doors are remotely operated but the mechanism is not strong enough to keep the door in place, it seems. Therefore this problem needs to be remedied before a serious accident occurs.

Both drivers were exemplary. There is a warning notice at the north side of the Dornoch bridge about dangerous cross-winds; our driver reduced speed.

Another hazard on the road is as follows: on the way between Latheron and Wick the bus hit a deep pothole on the near side, there was a huge bang and the bus lurched. This was no fault of the driver, there was nothing he could do about it. The A99 is narrow and therefore he needs to keep the nearside wheels in the gutter, the same as on the Halkirk road.

I wonder if the bus driver notifies the Highland Council about dangerous potholes when he gets back to base or not. This pothole should be filled in immediately before an accident occurs.

Also of concern are those who insist on speaking to the driver during the trip. We had two of these people on the way back from Inverness.

Mr P Cannop
07-Nov-08, 14:44
SIR – I have spent several very uncomfortable and extremely long bus journeys of late from Thurso to Inverness and back.

Stagecoach's decision to revert back to shorter journeys is to be welcomed, but the lack of a toilet on board remains a problem. Senior people and young children in particular will find it difficult to do without for three-and-a-half hours.

The so-called comfort stop in Dornoch is a joke – we were given three minutes on October 8 by the bus driver to get back to the bus. When my husband was travelling on October 26, a Sunday, the toilets were shut when they reached Dornoch.

We are supposed to be encouraging people to use public transport to help the environment; this will only deter them. I hope Stagecoach will see reason and sort out this mess.

changilass
07-Nov-08, 14:57
Not surewhat exactly you have posted here Mr Cannop.

As I know you do not have a husband, I am assuming its part of a letter from someone else, but not sure who to exactly.

Please can you clarify.

I totally agree with the sentiments, there is no way I could possibly travel all the way without a break never mind with a 4yr old. I am one of the lucky ones that has a car, but this really must limit travel for folks with children or bladder problems.

Mr P Cannop
07-Nov-08, 14:58
its from the letters page from today local paper

Phoebus_Apollo
07-Nov-08, 15:53
will see reason and sort out this mess.

And what a mess it could be after 3 1/2 hours...;)

badger
07-Nov-08, 16:04
Not surewhat exactly you have posted here Mr Cannop.

As I know you do not have a husband, I am assuming its part of a letter from someone else, but not sure who to exactly.

Please can you clarify.

I totally agree with the sentiments, there is no way I could possibly travel all the way without a break never mind with a 4yr old. I am one of the lucky ones that has a car, but this really must limit travel for folks with children or bladder problems.

I saw this letter in the Groat and do hope someone takes notice as, like you, I certainly would not want to travel all that way with only the promise of a comfort stop, particularly in winter.

I have not seen any correction of the headlined "2 1/2 hour journey" they kept referring to - it seems Stagecoach cannot even do basic arithmetic. I have been corresponding with David Bremner on this and have seen a letter from Stagecoach where they claim passengers travelling between Aberdeen and Inverness are happy with one comfort stop and this is a longer journey.

I wonder what kind of survey question they used to discover this - you can always get the answer you want if you ask the right (wrong) question.
Having checked their timetables, Thurso to Inverness via Wick was longer than Aberdeen to Inverness (arithmetic again).

Bad Manners
07-Nov-08, 16:19
I find this very odd you have started two threads on what I can only assume are the same thing. from what I gather you have copied these verbatum from the news media but yet you offer no comment Do you agree or disagree with these letters and why start two threads on the same topic?

kitty kat
07-Nov-08, 16:46
i do have a pit stop problem and i travel with my young daughter this is unreal, the lengh of time that people will have to cross there legs is completely unacceptable this will only stop more of us going to inverness for our christmas shopping and i for one will now do most of it online or i will have to get the train its a much better journey more room for my child they may not be the best quality but alot more comfortable and enjoyable journey