PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland/Geddes/Gray families

bboekman
01-Nov-08, 05:09
Greetings to everyone! I'm a new member, and I'm researching a friend's Sutherland/Geddes/Gray background.
From the IGI I have a David Sutherland marrying Elizabeth Geddes in both Olrig and Canisbay in 1807, and I think I have three children: David S born in Olrig in 1807, Catherine Geddes S born in Wick in about 1818 (no IGI record actually found), and Alexander S born in Watten May 1829. These seem very far apart, both in place and time, can anyone enlighten me and fill in any gaps, please?

Catherine went to Aberdeen where she married William Gray in Old Machar in 1849. He already had two sons by Margaret Farquharson. They came here to New Zealand on the Simlah in 1851 and had several more children.

I think David jun. may have married Isabella Oag. Again, on the IGI, their children seem to have been registered in two places, Wick and Thrumster. Would this be because the wife came from one town and the husband from the other?

As you can see, I'm a beginner in Scottish research! Anyway, if anyone has any connections with, or information on, the family, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Marydb

Mamie_2
06-Nov-08, 22:55
FREEREG has them contracted in Olrig on Jan 5 1807 with both parties living in Olrig and marrying Feb 7 1807.

Witnesses were William Pyper and John Murray.

That couple had a son David in 1807 in Castletown, Olrig who is probably the one in Canisbay in 1851.

There was a David Sutherland born in 1783 to David Sutherland and Anna Swanson in Stangergill who might be the elder one.

There is no Elizabeth Geddes born in Olrig in their transcriptions for Olrig and Canisbay is not yet transcribed.

Mamie

Mamie_2
07-Nov-08, 00:15
I think this David is the son of George Sutherland and Barbara Taylor born 1801 in Dunnet.

Thrumster is a place/farm in Wick parish and it's possible all the children were born there. The IGI only records the parish on extractions but the actual place maybe recorded in the OPR's.

Mamie

bboekman
11-Nov-08, 23:13
Thank you, Mamie

I'll get back to you soon - I'm down with shingles at the moment - hard to concentrate at the computer!

Mary

Blossumendrot
22-Jul-09, 11:25
Mamie the oags have a fantastic amount of info on Ancestry.com..... you can put a tree on it and search put conections even if you do not pay to be on the site...i have a round about connection with the oags and an elizabeth sutherland who was my great geat grandmother from Wick

Rosemary Skea
22-Jul-09, 22:47
FREEREG has them contracted in Olrig on Jan 5 1807 with both parties living in Olrig and marrying Feb 7 1807.

Witnesses were William Pyper and John Murray.

That couple had a son David in 1807 in Castletown, Olrig who is probably the one in Canisbay in 1851.

There was a David Sutherland born in 1783 to David Sutherland and Anna Swanson in Stangergill who might be the elder one.

There is no Elizabeth Geddes born in Olrig in their transcriptions for Olrig and Canisbay is not yet transcribed.

Mamie

Canisbay baptisms are now available on FREEREG - marriages coming soon

Rosemary