PDA

View Full Version : bad tempered rabbit

purplelady
01-Nov-08, 01:25
we have a very bad tempered rabbit she is ok out of her cage but if you put your hand in to get her food bowl she goes for you little madam out of her cage she is lovely just wondering if anyone had any advice

unicorn
01-Nov-08, 02:20
It sounds like she is getting hutch aggressive, does can be more liable to hutch aggression especially when they are hormonal. Is she burying her bowl and digging her hutch up at all?

justine
01-Nov-08, 14:32
Dont allow her to beat you at the game, because sometimes i think thats what it is. Star, my female lop started honking and trying to scratch me whilst cleaning out the hutch, and i just kept pushing her away, got scratched many times but she got the message.
My buck ziggy he loves to play with you when you clean out his hutch, he pushes your hands away, shoves all the hard work youv'e just done all over the place and grunts like a pig, but its in fun.

She also sounds like she could do with more time out of the hutch. Even int he colder months they will venture out.rabbits dont hibernate and so will come out in rain sleet or snow.
Alot of rabbits get possessive over their own territory, eg hutch, just like dogs with cages or kennels.You need to make sure you continue to go into the hutch and she will know you are there and she has to put up with it, otherwiase you could end up with a rabbit hutch you cant get in because rabbit says no!

purplelady
01-Nov-08, 23:42
It sounds like she is getting hutch aggressive, does can be more liable to hutch aggression especially when they are hormonal. Is she burying her bowl and digging her hutch up at all?
yes she is and she grunts at me when i go in there to get her bowl

unicorn
02-Nov-08, 03:18
she is telling you she wants mated then, this normally starts about 6 months.
Your best plan of action is to get her neutered as you will have this problem every time she gets hormonal, as a breeder I know exactly how bad a hormonal doe can get.
Do not back down to her or it will start a cycle of aggressive behaviour, if you pull out of her hutch at speed she has won.
Take something in one hand to distract her if necessary when you are getting her bowl out and feeding and back her into a corner and from above just stroke her until she calms.
She is not being deliberately nasty her body is just telling her it's time to be a mum.
Try giving her a teddy also believe it or not this can work wonders.

purplelady
03-Nov-08, 22:28
she is telling you she wants mated then, this normally starts about 6 months.
Your best plan of action is to get her neutered as you will have this problem every time she gets hormonal, as a breeder I know exactly how bad a hormonal doe can get.
Do not back down to her or it will start a cycle of aggressive behaviour, if you pull out of her hutch at speed she has won.
Take something in one hand to distract her if necessary when you are getting her bowl out and feeding and back her into a corner and from above just stroke her until she calms.
She is not being deliberately nasty her body is just telling her it's time to be a mum.
Try giving her a teddy also believe it or not this can work wonders.
have taken your advice and given her a bear so we will see thanks for thsat

purplelady
07-Nov-08, 00:08
well i gave our rabbit a teddy as adviced and my god what a difference it is unreal she is calmer and happier thank you so much for the advice x

unicorn
07-Nov-08, 00:15
I am so glad it has worked for you, it gives them something else to take their frustration out on and they do actually enjoy having something to snuggle up to.

purplelady
07-Nov-08, 23:49
your rite she is always close to it she nibbles at it too found it sat in her food bowl last nite lol

unicorn
07-Nov-08, 23:54
Baby needed fed too [lol]:lol: smart cookies bunnies..........

purplelady
08-Nov-08, 23:58
your not wrong there am so thankful for advice once again thank you so much

unicorn
09-Nov-08, 12:09
We have a show in Canisbay hall next Saturday 15th come along and say hi. Best place to get handy hints and tips :D

purplelady
10-Nov-08, 00:03
would but am away that weekend thanks anyway

AfternoonDelight
11-Nov-08, 14:00
AH - what a touching thread! :)

PS - I'm not taking the proverbial - I really mean it!