PDA

View Full Version : Favourite songs

jock leith
31-Oct-08, 23:06
Flower Of Scotland is one of my favourite tunes, living away from home for most of my adult life,the tune and words always makes the old eyes water.And makes me proud to be a Scot.I will be watching the test match from Murrayfield next week with my flag draped over the chair,singing my song surrounded by Kiwi's,cheering the All Blacks on.

Which song has a special meaning for you and why ??????

Margaret M.
01-Nov-08, 01:39
I love Amazing Grace when bagpipes are included. My favourite version right now is by Il Divo. When the piper appears, it gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVxzEueJ6A

Moi x
01-Nov-08, 01:51
Isn't it funny how being an ex-pat brings out our patriotism in this way? I think I was ten times more patriotic when I lived abroad than I was before I went away and about five times more patriotic than I am now I'm home.

If we're talking patriotic songs I have to go with 'Scots Wha Hae'.

Moi x

Moi x
01-Nov-08, 01:54
I love Amazing Grace when bagpipes are included. My favourite version right now is by Il Divo. When the piper appears, it gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVxzEueJ6AHaving watched the video, I see what you mean, but the bit when they all come in after the pipes is even better. :)

Moi x

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-08, 10:07
My first trip to the millenium stadium was to watch Wales V New Zealand. It was a Friday night and pouring with rain.
We found the gate that we had to enter the ground by and it was opposite a British Legion club ,so in we went for an hour of cheap beer.:Razz

With the start of the game fast approaching we headed into the ground and made our way up the back of the stand to our seats.

As we entered the arena I decided to phone Mrs M and ask her to tape the game for me, and the Welsh national anthem was just starting.

I was overcome with emotion to have walked into a big posh shed (the roof was closed) on such a big ocasion with 68000.00 people singing with passion and feeling.:eek:

I can still hear Mrs M shouting down the phone and asking what did I want and not being able to speak to answear her:~(

arana negra
01-Nov-08, 11:46
Right now my favourites are Summer Kisses Winter Tears and They Remind Me Too Much of You By Elvis.

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 11:57
Chance by Big country gets me peeping like a baby.
I used to listen to that when I missed home, and after stuart adamsons death it was even more poignant.
Its a great tune with a great story if you listen to the words.
Such a shame that they didnt go on to do more tunes as there music signified Scotland in my eyes.

Amy-Winehouse
01-Nov-08, 13:08
Today it has to be this wee ditty;)

We`re Black, we`re white, Wur ******* Dynamite
Academy , academeeeeeeeey

A simple wee tune for those on their way to the Harmsworth Park for todays Scottish Cup replay- there will be others Im sure but not many will be printable on here methinks

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 15:39
Today it has to be this wee ditty;)

We`re Black, we`re white, Wur ******* Dynamite
Academy , academeeeeeeeey

A simple wee tune for those on their way to the Harmsworth Park for todays Scottish Cup replay- there will be others Im sure but not many will be printable on here methinks

I would go the game but cant Follow Follow you today! ;)
I am too hungry it feels like a famine! :)

Bad Manners
01-Nov-08, 18:22
[quote=Kevin Milkins;452704]My first trip to the millenium stadium was to watch Wales V New Zealand. It was a Friday night and pouring with rain.
We found the gate that we had to enter the ground by and it was opposite a British Legion club ,so in we went for an hour of cheap beer.:Razz

With the start of the game fast approaching we headed into the ground and made our way up the back of the stand to our seats.

As we entered the arena I decided to phone Mrs M and ask her to tape the game for me, and the Welsh national anthem was just starting.

I was overcome with emotion to have walked into a big posh shed (the roof was closed) on such a big ocasion with 68000.00 people singing with passion and feeling.:eek:
I have to agree Kevin thre is nothing better tham having a mass throng singing in unison and with passion no matter what the nationality
It brings people together no matter what else is going on in their life

scotsboy
01-Nov-08, 18:30
I used to listen to that when I missed home, and after stuart adamsons death it was even more poignant.
Such a shame that they didnt go on to do more tunes as there music signified Scotland in my eyes.

Big Country were a band with strong Scottish nationalist leanings, the Seer was an was about the suposed tyranny agaist the Jacobites............they had some good tunes though.

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 19:36
Big Country were a band with strong Scottish nationalist leanings, the Seer was an was about the suposed tyranny agaist the Jacobites............they had some good tunes though.

Stuart had a bar in Abbey View Dunfermline. Had a pint in there while I stayed with a mate while on leave,he wasnt there at the time which was a pity.
I dont like jacobites either but they make no bad crackers!!! ;)

footie chick
01-Nov-08, 20:10
Flower Of Scotland is one of my favourite tunes, living away from home for most of my adult life,the tune and words always makes the old eyes water.And makes me proud to be a Scot.I will be watching the test match from Murrayfield next week with my flag draped over the chair,singing my song surrounded by Kiwi's,cheering the All Blacks on.

Which song has a special meaning for you and why ??????

It has to be the same. At Murrayfield with the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end magic. {Even better when they win}

young_fishin_neep
01-Nov-08, 20:42
im greedy i have two favourite songs... wich i admit they dont really suit my taste in music very well but i grew up listening to them and i think they are two really great songs

ac/dc - high way to hell
status quo - rocking all over the world

i dont tend to listen to alot of that kind of music but they just bring back memories i guess

xxx

jock leith
01-Nov-08, 23:38
With a web name footie chick and location toffee land you must be an Everton fan ????

flyfifer
02-Nov-08, 00:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVxzEueJ6A

Lovely - how about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZfnQxUhzQ

footie chick
02-Nov-08, 00:45
With a web name footie chick and location toffee land you must be an Everton fan ????

Got it in one and delighted to get first home win of the season today [lol]

Oddquine
02-Nov-08, 01:15
My all-time favourite.Scotland Will flourish, by The Corries............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoTaibLvkC8

and of course Flower of Scotland by the Corries

closely followed by Caledonia by Dougie Maclean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMH0HlrccMs

and Runrig's Alba........though I also like immensely the version used to introduce the new Gaelic TV channel.

Anne x
02-Nov-08, 01:21
Caledonia for me every time makes my heart flutter although I like Flower of Scotland OH cannot stand it
County wise Grannies Heilan Hame stirs the heart

helenwyler
02-Nov-08, 12:18
I've always liked 'Will Ye Go Lassie Go'. Here's a link to Judy Collins singing it with Pete Seeger in the 1960s. I know she's American :o, but I like the unsentimentalised simplicity of her version.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kbr6tUhDRI

Valerie Campbell
02-Nov-08, 20:16
For me, it's Loch Lomond. I was at the Midsummer concert there all those years ago and the atmosphere was brilliant as Runrig sang their hearts out and we were the backing singers. Brilliant. Flower of Scotland being belted out at the rugby also does if for me...

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Nov-08, 20:40
On a Sunday night on Radio 1 it used to be Bruno Brookes with the Chart Show,after that Annie Nightingale with her new music.For oor younger readers the Jo Whiley of oor days.Heard a band This Mortal Coil sing a song.Thought this lassie sung beautiful,with a cracking background arrangement.Remembered this song through 17 years,one of the best songs I have heard.The problem was through ma niaveity was This Mortal Coil was a group of people making an album together.So when ye might,perchance,go onto You Tube,and type in This Mortal Coil "The Siren Song",and ye hear a lady singing her heart oot.This is Liz Fraser from the Cocteau Twins singing her soul out to you to a Tim Buckley "altered" song.She's Scottish and she is so underated.

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 07:33
On a Sunday night on Radio 1 it used to be Bruno Brookes with the Chart Show,after that Annie Nightingale with her new music.For oor younger readers the Jo Whiley of oor days.Heard a band This Mortal Coil sing a song.Thought this lassie sung beautiful,with a cracking background arrangement.Remembered this song through 17 years,one of the best songs I have heard.The problem was through ma niaveity was This Mortal Coil was a group of people making an album together.So when ye might,perchance,go onto You Tube,and type in This Mortal Coil "The Siren Song",and ye hear a lady singing her heart oot.This is Liz Fraser from the Cocteau Twins singing her soul out to you to a Tim Buckley "altered" song.She's Scottish and she is so underated.

Thanks for that cedric.
It truly is a beautiful song,prefer the Live version over the studio version by Liz.
George Michael does a great version of it too.
An interesting fact is George Michael chose to start his historic Wembley show on 9 June 2007 with a cover of the Tim Buckley song, Song To The Siren.

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 07:43
This thread has really got me thinking! :)
tbh I have so many favourite songs thought i'd post my top ten!! (as it changes so much heres the 10 I normally sift through)

1.Chance-Big Country
2.All I want is you-U2
3.Ride on-Ac/dc
4.The Masterplan-Oasis
5.Iris-Goo Goo Dolls
6.Sympathy-Goo Goo Dolls
7.Alive and Kicking-Simple Minds
8.Feels like Heaven-Fiction Factory
9.Talk Tonight-Oasis
10.Smells Like teen Spirit-Nirvana (Tori amos version)

Kenneth
03-Nov-08, 13:55
Isn't it funny how being an ex-pat brings out our patriotism in this way? I think I was ten times more patriotic when I lived abroad than I was before I went away and about five times more patriotic than I am now I'm home.

If we're talking patriotic songs I have to go with 'Scots Wha Hae'.

Moi x

Good shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you like the slow dirge or the faster one moi?!

Iffy
03-Nov-08, 20:54

Hey I never knew that Stuart Adamson Had died............. When???

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 21:33
Hey I never knew that Stuart Adamson Had died............. When???

He died in 2001 in Hawaii I'm afraid.
Such a sad loss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Adamson

Angel
03-Nov-08, 22:11
I think my favourite sone/tune of all time is Freebird... its also great for air guitar...

Ruins my nails but you just have to do it...

Angel