connieb19
19-Jan-06, 23:40
Is it just me or has the Whos Online option disappeared?? :confused:

krieve
19-Jan-06, 23:45
I also noticed this connie grrr

Saveman
19-Jan-06, 23:47
Yeah! That was handy for being nosy about what everyone else was doing! ;)

Bring it back!

[smirk]

connieb19
19-Jan-06, 23:49
It's handy for knowing if someone is going to reply to a post..lol
I suppose i might get to bed a bit earlier now instead of waiting up at night because i know someone is creating a thread or replying to a post... :D

teddybear1873
19-Jan-06, 23:55
must be a glitch in the matrix

Niall Fernie
20-Jan-06, 11:43
Access to the "Who's Online" has been restricted to the "Trusted Users". This is due to some complaints made about what information is available to "newish" users on that page.

squidge
20-Jan-06, 13:22
Access to the "Who's Online" has been restricted to the "Trusted Users". This is due to some complaints made about what information is available to "newish" users on that page.

What on earth for??????

Surely users are users - its a message board for goodness sake - if people dont want others to know they are online then use the "invisible" option there is. Why would some people want "new" members not able to see something? You can hide your identity, your email address, you dont have to show your msn address or yahoo id, you arent sharing your phone number. What is going on? New users should be welcomed cos people come and go and i personally think we are being a bit pernickety. I can understadn the avator thing - you maybe want to see how peoples posts go before allowing them free rein to add any picture they like:eek: but the "who's online?" option.....

This isnt a dig at you Niall - i guess you are responding to whats being said to you.

krieve
20-Jan-06, 19:09
Well said it does'nt really seem fair it's not like anyone is doing anything wrong by looking at it. So only trusted user's can see information thats available so what if a new user is'nt happy about information that is available trusted user?

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 20:55
:( :( Its just not the same excitement when you don't know if someones going to reply to a post...the suspense while you waited was the best bit..
Why does that bother the trusted users?? :confused:

melted_wellie
20-Jan-06, 21:03
simply because this forum seems to be very cliqueish,some get away with berating and belittleing other users,whilst newer or junior members get banned for any slight infringement.The "Trusted Members" seem to think we are not worthy of such priveleges (excuse the spelling),so have got together with their pal,the administrator,and came up with this idea.It may get worse in the future,who knows,we may have to apply to log on to the forum 3 days in advance so the "Trusted Members" can get a chance to get together to approve our applications!

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:07
:( :( Its just not the same excitement when you don't know if someones going to reply to a post...the suspense while you waited was the best bit..

If you want an instant reply go to the chat room and you can hurl insults at each other to your hearts content

melted_wellie
20-Jan-06, 21:08
If you want an instant reply go to the chat room and you can hurl insults at each other to your hearts contentyour not answering the question tho.

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 21:16
If you want an instant reply go to the chat room and you can hurl insults at each other to your hearts contentI havn't been known to throw insults at anyone..[mad]
I think you have missunderstood what I have been trying to say!!
I have had a lot of pleasure from this forum and what I mean is that say I start a thread it is part of the pleasure of being a member to know when someone is replying to it.
If my posts have been insulting then I have said before that i apologise..
I did wonder who it was that kept on leaving me bad reputation .. so I am now one step further on.
I would be grateful Golach if you could point out to me which posts I have made that you find insulting!!:confused:

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:21
simply because this forum seems to be very cliqueish,some get away with berating and belittleing other users,whilst newer or junior members get banned for any slight infringement.The "Trusted Members" seem to think we are not worthy of such priveleges (excuse the spelling),so have got together with their pal,the administrator,and came up with this idea.It may get worse in the future,who knows,we may have to apply to log on to the forum 3 days in advance so the "Trusted Members" can get a chance to get together to approve our applications!

I am a trusted member because I have posted approx 755 postings and have been here for approx 5 years. You on the other hand have had 45 posting so I assume you have only been here 5 mins. did you read the rules when signing on to this web? If not may I suggest you do, they are simple and fair in my mind. The Administrators work hard to keep this award winning web site in manner that all and everyone can come here and read with out being offended by as you call it "slight infringments" sic the use of words that you may find acceptable but the majority of the Message Board users dont, even Trusted Members get banned for the use of swear words.

Saveman
20-Jan-06, 21:24

Doesn't bother me! Though I'm sure there's a very good reason behind it.
The admin are very good and know what they're doing.

melted_wellie
20-Jan-06, 21:26
I am a trusted member because I have posted approx 755 postings and have been here for approx 5 years. You on the other hand have had 45 posting so I assume you have only been here 5 mins. did you read the rules when signing on to this web? If not may I suggest you do, they are simple and fair in my mind. The Administrators work hard to keep this award winning web site in manner that all and everyone can come here and read with out being offended by as you call it "slight infringments" sic the use of words that you may find acceptable but the majority of the Message Board users dont, even Trusted Members get banned for the use of swear words.The question was and still is........"why are we suddenly not allowed to view the whos online feature?" are you saying i am not worthy of this cause i have only made 45 posts?

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:28
The question was and still is........"why are we suddenly not allowed to view the whos online feature?" are you saying i am not worthy of this cause i have only made 45 posts?
Exactly!!!!!!

melted_wellie
20-Jan-06, 21:34
Exactly!!!!!!explain why then. seems to me you and your chosen few want the forum to yourseves.

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:37
explain why then. seems to me you and your chosen few want the forum to yourseves.
Go to the chat room instead of taking up web space here and then we can chat face to face

landmarker
20-Jan-06, 21:42
I think it a bit rich to say because someone is relatively new and has posted a mere 45 times they cannot raise a question.
I dont know Don & I'm not familiar with his views or posts but surely it's not all about quantity is it? Someone might post 3,000 times and they could all amount to little more than tedious drivel. Alternatively one could hit the nail on the head in one.

I'm puzzled why the 'users online' thing has been rationed. I seldom look at it mind you.

I still regard myself as a tolerated guest - largely because of geography. I must say the non-cursing policy is a challenge at times but it is a postitive step in keeping the site enjoyable for all.

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:48
I think it a bit rich to say because someone is relatively new and has posted a mere 45 times they cannot raise a question.
I dont know Don & I'm not familiar with his views or posts but surely it's not all about quantity is it? Someone might post 3,000 times and they could all amount to little more than tedious drivel. Alternatively ely one could hit the nail on the head in one.

I'm puzzled why the 'users online' thing has been rationed. I seldom look at it mind you.

I still regard myself as a tolerated guest - largely because of geography. I must say the non-cursing policy is a challenge at times but it is a postitive step in keeping the site enjoyable for all.
maybe I was too blunt for that I apologise, but my head and so must the administrators is nipping with the constant whining that goes on in here ( MY OPINION not the administrators),
Its the weekend when the most offenders creep out of the woodwork, Niall has to go through hundreds of messages that contain drivel every weekend.As you said the monitoring is a positive step to keeping the site enjoyable for all

krieve
20-Jan-06, 21:51
Ok the chat room i have tryed many times to get into the chat room and each time it say invalid password so that is not an option when you cant get in to it.

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 21:54
maybe I was too blunt for that I apologiseWelcome to Caithness.org... I was lead to believe you would receive a friendly welcome to the forum..it seems i was wrong:( It's a good job i'm from caithness myself though so I know not everyone is so unfriendly when they're not behind their computers..

daviddd
20-Jan-06, 21:57
I think the administrators have got it just about right. They have a difficult job trying to keep everything clean and non-libellous. many, many fora like this have had to close because of swearing, sexual stuff, threats, libelling etc. - now I'm certainly not saying that those here would stoop that low, but there has to be a certain level of control by the administrators. I think Bill and Niall do a pretty good job, for the population in this area the site / forum has a huge following and is widely regarded as very succesful indeed, award-winning as we know. I would trust them to make the right decisions, even if it doesn't suit everybody all the time!

golach
20-Jan-06, 21:57
Ok the chat room i have tryed many times to get into the chat room and each time it say invalid password so that is not an option when you cant get in to it.
You have to register in the chat room with a different password

krieve
20-Jan-06, 22:01
Yes i know that you get an email from colin manson and a password i have registered.

golach
20-Jan-06, 22:06
Yes i know that you get an email from colin manson and a password i have registered.
sorry no you have to go to the chat room and register there its easy use a different password

krieve
20-Jan-06, 22:10
sorry no you have to go to the chat room and register there its easy use a different password
Sorry i have gone on to the chat rooms and i have registered and got an email from colin manson with a password i will try it again .

ice box
20-Jan-06, 23:07
Welcome to Caithness.org... I was lead to believe you would receive a friendly welcome to the forum..it seems i was wrong:( It's a good job i'm from caithness myself though so I know not everyone is so unfriendly when they're not behind their computers..
Well behind this computer you will find a cute,smiley,friendly,happy person .

ice box
20-Jan-06, 23:13
I am a trusted member because I have posted approx 755 postings and have been here for approx 5 years. You on the other hand have had 45 posting so I assume you have only been here 5 mins. did you read the rules when signing on to this web? If not may I suggest you do, they are simple and fair in my mind. The Administrators work hard to keep this award winning web site in manner that all and everyone can come here and read with out being offended by as you call it "slight infringments" sic the use of words that you may find acceptable but the majority of the Message Board users dont, even Trusted Members get banned for the use of swear words.
Big wow i done 182 that dose'nt make you any better than me .

scrapydoo
22-Jan-06, 15:39
I like that whos on line page never mind

DW
22-Jan-06, 17:02
I am a trusted member because I have posted approx 755 postings and have been here for approx 5 years. You on the other hand have had 45 posting so I assume you have only been here 5 mins. did you read the rules when signing on to this web? -SNIP - even Trusted Members get banned for the use of swear words.

Unfortunately the rules are rather inconsistent.
What really confuses me is that if one masks a word using other characters e.g. *****. then one gets banned.
But in the FAQ (extended rules) under -
Why Have some of the words in my post been blanked?
the answer is
" Certain words may have been censored by the administrator. If your posts contain any censored words, they will be blanked-out like this: ###############.
The same words are censored for all users, and censoring is done by a computer simply searching and replacing words. It is in no way 'intelligent'. "

So why does one get banned for blanking????
It strikes me that there are some Trusted Members that are auwld wifeys. :lol:

And as far as 'certain' members having viewing rights that common members don't - well that's just the Great British need to be better than the man/woman next door. Vive La Revolution - affwitheirheids!

katarina
22-Jan-06, 17:16

Are you on AOL? Seems if you are you can't get in by normal means.

krieve
23-Jan-06, 11:11
Are you on AOL? Seems if you are you can't get in by normal means.
It is ok problem solved i am wanadoo .