PDA

View Full Version : Inversion Tables

Gizmo
31-Oct-08, 00:45
Has anyone used an Inversion Table with success to help with bad lower back pain?, i'm thinking of buying one but completely unsure of where to start, there are many on the market in many different price brackets, quite a few on ebay for around £50 but i'm not sure if these cheap ones are any good, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Murdina Bug
31-Oct-08, 11:00
Hi Gizmo,

I know it's not the same but if you want an idea of whether these will work for you then try lying in the dentist chair for half an hour!! Seriously:lol:. I have had some lower back problems for a wee while and it took a few sessions with the osteopath to sort out but still had a feeling in the lower spine that it needed a good stretch out. Had to go to the dentist for impressions for crowns, which took some time, and when I got up off the couch my back felt brilliant - it had been sore going in after a long drive. So, I reckon the idea of inversion is probably a good one. You could try a DIY effort with an old door on a slope before you work up to hinging upside doon!

Also, if you have a few grand to spare those reclining massage chairs are brilliant. Was in a furniture store recently and tried one out - had to leave with a red face when realised the moaning noises I had been making as I relaxed!!![lol]

Lavenderblue2
31-Oct-08, 11:58
I have one in my garage Gizmo - it's one of the quality ones.

You are very welcome to come and 'hang around' a bit to see if one would suit you.

A word of warning, there are certain things you must be aware of - for instance it's not advisable for folk with high blood pressure or heart problems.

pat
31-Oct-08, 12:32
You must take up Lavenderblue 2s offer - you will be pleasantly surprised how effective they are.

Hope all works out well for you and your back pain is gone, but please before you do any lifting, odd movements, stretching too far, stop and think 'BACK - will it stand the movement? Once your back has been pain free for a short time ensure you exercise your back gently, continuing exercising to return your agility and strength back to ensure a pain free back.

Gizmo
31-Oct-08, 17:39
Yeah thanks for the offer lavenderblue2, would love to try it out, i don't have transport but if i can organize something i will PM you, and apart from my back and knees i have no other medical problems so i'm not likely to cark it in your garage :D

Lavenderblue2
31-Oct-08, 18:01
Gizmo

I will be pleased for you to give the I/Table a try but I am concernned about your knees.

To use this table your ankles will be attached in cuffs and it is from here you hang - would this put too much strain on your knees?

I'll bring it into the house for you to try in a room on your own - even if the I/table didn't kill you, you'd freeze to death in the garage!

I've looked out the booklet that goes with it and hereby follows the list of

do not use in cases of:

If you think you may be pregnant
Glaucoma, retinal detachment or conjunctivitis
Extreme obesity
Spinal injury, cerebral sclerosis, or acutely swollen joints
Middle ear infection
High blood pressure, hypertension, recent stroke or transient ischemic attack.
Heart or circulatory disorders for which you are being treated.
Hiatus hernia or ventral hernia
Bone weaknesses including osteoporosis, unhealed fractures, medullary pins or surgically implanted orthopedic supports.
Use of anti-coagulants including aspirin in high doses.
:lol: now you know why this thing now bides in my garage!

Gizmo
31-Oct-08, 18:15
Nah my knees will be fine, probably do them some good actually, i can't remember the medical term that my Physiotheapist used for what she thinks is the problem with my knees, the gubbins that is on the inside of my knee caps is worn, it's not a major problem, i have spoken to her about using an Inversion Table and she never mentioned that my knees wouldn't be able to take it, i'll get something organized and PM you :)

hotrod4
31-Oct-08, 18:35
Nah my knees will be fine, probably do them some good actually, i can't remember the medical term that my Physiotheapist used for what she thinks is the problem with my knees, the gubbins that is on the inside of my knee caps is worn, it's not a major problem, i have spoken to her about using an Inversion Table and she never mentioned that my knees wouldn't be able to take it, i'll get something organized and PM you :)

Could it be CP?
I cant rememeber the full name but its caraticus patella or something. It often affects alot of Soldiers as well as the weight of wearing boots constantly pulls the knee and forces it to rub against the bone.

bobbyjoeufb
31-Oct-08, 19:11
I have used an inversion table for about a year and it does provide short term releif from back pain.

I would suggest if you have not already done so get your back checked out by an osteopath to make sure that what ever is causing your back pain will not be aggraviated by using an inversion table.

If your interested in buying one I know a person who is selling one as medically she can no longer use it.