PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem

Kenneth
30-Oct-08, 17:58
Does anyone else think that our National Anthem is pretty awful?

brokencross
30-Oct-08, 18:41
I am 55 and I have grown up with God Save the... as the National Anthem.

I learned and respected it at the cub scouts then Life Boys and Boys Brigade; I used to stand for it when played in the cinema. I have no problem with it, can sound a bit like a dirge sometimes but it is not inteneded to be top of the charts.

Don't know if your objections are the tune or the sentiments in the words.

Shabbychic
30-Oct-08, 18:51
Flower of Scotland is fine. If you mean the other National Anthem, it is pretty awful. God save the Queen so she can Reign Over Me?? I think not! She can be as happy and glorious as she likes, even victorious if she feels the need, but leave me out of it.

Angela
30-Oct-08, 19:02
All the Ds, imo - a dull, dreary, doleful, dismal, dispiriting, dated, dreich dirge.:(:(

rich
30-Oct-08, 19:06
You're all Europeans now. Why not settle for La Marseillase - at least it's got a decent tune.

percy toboggan
30-Oct-08, 19:12
You are right about something Rich. The French anthem is stirring. Probably the most stirring I have ever heard. But then, the French are frequently stirred, if also shaken rather too easily.

Our anthem is duff. 'Land of Hope & Glory' would better suffice , if only the first sentiment were true.

Bad Manners
30-Oct-08, 19:39
The Italian national anthem is quite upbeat as well I think it is about time we updated out national anthem it can still take the present theme of wishing god to bless our queen but done in a more modern upbeat manor after all given what that our troops aredoing round the globe for queen and country lets have a moreup beat anthem that we could all be proud.

hotrod4
30-Oct-08, 19:40
God save the queen is one of the best tunes ever written.
The only other song I would want besdies that would be "Rule Brittania".
The most stirring Anthem (besides ours) is the Star Spangled Banner, I love when someone sings it at the beginning of the Superbowl etc. Very very emotional and has a very "proud" and patriotic feel to it.

Lavenderblue2
30-Oct-08, 19:53
Well said Brokencross, Percy Tobbogan and Hotrod4 - I am with you. We have been brought up in a time of respect for our Queen and Country and by Country I mean the United Kingdom.

There is nothing wrong with our National Anthem especially if it is played and sung correctly.

percy toboggan
30-Oct-08, 20:05
Well said Brokencross, Percy Tobbogan and Hotrod4 - I am with you. We have been brought up in a time of respect for our Queen and Country and by Country I mean the United Kingdom.

There is nothing wrong with our National Anthem especially if it is played and sung correctly.

Alas, I feel you may have misconstrued my sentiments dear Lavender. For I concluded GSTQ was 'duff'.

Welcomefamily
30-Oct-08, 20:31
Rule Brittania I like.

Snarfer
30-Oct-08, 21:16
I like the connolly plan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsUWcK-PzY:lol::lol::lol:

arana negra
30-Oct-08, 22:02
I like the connolly plan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsUWcK-PzY

Hahahaha I was listening to that the other day, very funny.

I had typed out a long reply to this but then my sister rang and I was timed out :(

God save the King/Queen is awful and out of date. This bit is contentious and racist ...
Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush amd like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

As for Rule Britania, when did we last rule the waves or anything else come to it. We are not great and free nor are we the dread and fear of all, more like a laughing stock.

I think we need to have an upbeat tune with modern words and a positive theme.

Just my opinion.

Lavenderblue2
30-Oct-08, 22:22
Alas, I feel you may have misconstrued my sentiments dear Lavender. For I concluded GSTQ was 'duff'.

Ach! Another senior moment :confused sorry dear Percy.

Amy-Winehouse
30-Oct-08, 23:20
Does anyone else think that our National Anthem is pretty awful?

Which one? GSTQ or Flower of Scotland?

Dont particularly like either , I think Loch Lomond is a more appropriate anthem for sunny Scotland & for the U.K it should be The Drifters song- Come on over to my place(hey you were havin a party) all welcome;)

Tilter
31-Oct-08, 01:52
The most stirring Anthem (besides ours) is the Star Spangled Banner, I love when someone sings it at the beginning of the Superbowl etc.

Hotrod, can you actually sing that though? My poor old vocal chords just can't get up there.

I have to admit here that I really like "Jerusalem" but since it bangs on about England, it's about as appropriate for UK as Flower of Scotland. Plus the Womens Institute have bagged it. :)

Did anyone else used to sing:

Rule Britannia
Marmalade and Jam
Five Chinese Fireworks up your ****
Go Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang

JAWS
31-Oct-08, 06:00
I think "See the Conquering Hero Come" would be great. It's a fantastic upbeat tune.

hotrod4
31-Oct-08, 06:07
If its a Scottish anthem I like Loch Lomond or Caledonia. But Caledonia is more of a meaningful song wheras Loch Lomond anyone can belt that one out at full volume which is the point of an anthem.

Nothing will get me to change from God save our Gracious queen for the British anthem. "that verse" obviously omitted ;)
Every time I hear it it reminds me of proud moments, i.e Olympics and personal moments for me too.
I would actually love to have that at my Funeral but dont think it would be allowed though.
"that verse" obviously omitted ;)

JAWS
31-Oct-08, 07:18
I think you can safely ignore "that verse". It was obviously included at a particular time in history now long over with.
I understand that, since it was originally included, the wording has been changed from time to time to suit various other situations current at the particular time.

It is, as far as I am concerned, of nothing more than past historical interest and should be treated as such. There is certainly no reason for it to be included for use in this day and age.

In truth I suspect that with both the National Anthem and Flower of Scotland most people can get through the first verses from memory and after that revert to ever greater embarrassing mumbles with an ever increasing pained look wondering which idiot decided to carry on with the rest instead of giving up whist everybody was winning.

Kenneth
31-Oct-08, 09:47
Oh I was actually referring to or 'unofficial' national anthem....Flower of Scotland.

From what I understand they play Scotland the Brave at rugby matches and Commonwealth Games I think? At football matches they play Flower of Scotland.......I think FOS is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two posts above refer to the French and Italian national anthems, those are brilliant examples of what an anthem should sound like. Personally I like Scots Wa'hae.

guitarzan
31-Oct-08, 09:56
does highland cathedral have words?

if so, that should be our national anthem - nothing stirs up national pride like that tune!

weeboyagee
31-Oct-08, 16:53
The anthem for our neighbouring country is well suited. Scotland never had, never will and never should have that b***** song lumbered on us. God save the Queen and God save us from that song!

WBG :cool:

Lavenderblue2
31-Oct-08, 18:17
Feasgar math Weeboyagee, don't be like that, you could always sing our National Anthem in the Gaelic!!

Mystical Potato Head
31-Oct-08, 18:24
Its Caledonia for me,one of Dougie Macleans many gems.

hotrod4
31-Oct-08, 18:28
Thank god our anthem isnt in Gaelic,Imagine all that spittle flying out your mouth when you have to sing ooch and ach and Mcleod and Campbell and all those other words!!!!.

And their would be more people in Scotland who would sing God save the queen than know how to speak in an ancient (overfunded)tongue.

God Save the Queen it is and it wont change in our lifetime, so better start learning those words!!! ;)

Lavenderblue2
31-Oct-08, 18:39
You are priceless Hotrod4! :lol:

However, I must say I enjoy a good Gaelic song or two. I found myself at the Melvich Gaelic Choir's Ceilidh in the Park Hotel last winter and thoroughly enjoyed myself - I wasn't spat on once!

thursobhoy
31-Oct-08, 18:39
flower of scotland is a great national anthem, and getting the chance to sing it at scotland games ia an electric experience!!! great anthem for a great nation.

gstq is awful, pompus and dull

TBH
31-Oct-08, 20:20
I don't really care about the British National anthem they can keep that for England. Roy Williamson, a true patriot, had Scotlands best interests at heart and will be remembered as one of Scotland's best folk musicians, lyricists, poets and artists. Flower of Scotland is 'my' country's anthem and long may it continue.

teenybash
31-Oct-08, 20:27
For me the National Anthem for Scotland should be, Flower of Scotland.........

JAWS
01-Nov-08, 08:41
Williamson? That sounds like a real good old-fashioned English name, TBH.

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 11:51
I don't really care about the British National anthem they can keep that for England. Roy Williamson, a true patriot, had Scotlands best interests at heart and will be remembered as one of Scotland's best folk musicians, lyricists, poets and artists. Flower of Scotland is 'my' country's anthem and long may it continue.

Well it thats "your" anthem then fair play to you.
Mine is definitley "god save the queen", and long may she reign over us.
People complain about "that verse" in God save the queen, but isnt Flower of scotland just as racist? After all it mentions a battle against out brethren from nearly 700 years ago!. I get stress for mentioning songs that reflect a battle 318 years ago! [lol]
or am I missing something.:confused

Haweswater
01-Nov-08, 12:03
Surely it's time to put behind us the often narrow visions offered by nationalism (be that UK, Scottish or whatever) and look towards a future based on all that we share and have in common with our brothers and sisters in humanity?

Although culturally British (or Scottish, English etc..) we are now politically Europeans and, similar to the USA, should continue to retain our individual state pride but without surrendering our nationhood under one flag.

In other words, our national anthem should be the inspiring 'Ode to Joy', with its melody from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The lyrics, written by Friedrich von Schiller in 1875 expresses his vision of the human race becoming brothers - a vision Beethoven shared.

What's so wrong in aspiring to that?

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 15:28
Surely it's time to put behind us the often narrow visions offered by nationalism (be that UK, Scottish or whatever) and look towards a future based on all that we share and have in common with our brothers and sisters in humanity?

Although culturally British (or Scottish, English etc..) we are now politically Europeans and, similar to the USA, should continue to retain our individual state pride but without surrendering our nationhood under one flag.

In other words, our national anthem should be the inspiring 'Ode to Joy', with its melody from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. The lyrics, written by Friedrich von Schiller in 1875 expresses his vision of the human race becoming brothers - a vision Beethoven shared.

What's so wrong in aspiring to that?

Hate the term "european" I am not European I am British and have nothing at all in Common with the people of France,belgium etc.

Until the time that my passport has the words "european" in the nationality section then i will remain British, after all I was born under a union jack! ;)

scotsboy
01-Nov-08, 18:24
flower of scotland is a great national anthem, and getting the chance to sing it at scotland games ia an electric experience!!! great anthem for a great nation.

gstq is awful, pompus and dull

There is only one National Anthem for Scotland and that is God Save the Queen, the folk song that is played prior to football and rugby matches is not an anthem.

gleeber
01-Nov-08, 18:55
There is only one National Anthem for Scotland and that is God Save the Queen, the folk song that is played prior to football and rugby matches is not an anthem.
I agree. An anthem is more than a song.

thursobhoy
01-Nov-08, 18:56

As far as most scots are concerned flower of scotland is the scottish national anthem.

scotsboy
01-Nov-08, 18:58
As far as most scots are concerned flower of scotland is the scottish national anthem.

Well using that logic, then most Scots are misinformed and ignorant.

thursobhoy
01-Nov-08, 19:02
no not really, i can only speak for myself but, i will always regard flower of scotland as the national anthem, gstq is the anthem of great britain and i regard myself as scottish, so therefore only a tradition or not flower of scotland is my national anthem.

scotsboy
01-Nov-08, 19:05
Then you are misinformed Thursobhoy, Flower of Scotland is NOT the National Anthem of Scotland, you can regard it as what you like.

thursobhoy
01-Nov-08, 19:14
i have never said it was an official anthem, some of the home nations(england,scotland etc)dont have an official anthem, but it has become regarded by most scots as the anthem.

TBH
01-Nov-08, 19:17
Williamson? That sounds like a real good old-fashioned English name, TBH.Apparently it's a celtic name which was adopted by the Gemanic tribes they fought against in Northern Europe.

wifie
01-Nov-08, 21:01
All the Ds, imo - a dull, dreary, doleful, dismal, dispiriting, dated, dreich dirge.:(:(

Angela are you Arlene Phillips or Craig Revel Horwood? [lol]

wifie
01-Nov-08, 21:09
after all I was born under a union jack! ;)

Why? Did they have to hide you for some reason? ;)

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 21:27
Why? Did they have to hide you for some reason? ;)

When I was born they never slapped me they slapped my mum for having me!!!! ;)

JAWS
02-Nov-08, 04:24

What's so wrong in aspiring to that? I much prefer Beethoven’s “1812 Overture”, it always makes my think of Europe. Better still would be “Ride of the Valkyries”, a stirring piece of music by the favourite composer of another believer in a United States of Europe.

Such small minded people when there is a whole world outside Fortress Europe.

I have more in common with people from much of Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent than I have ever had with most of Europe, except Gibraltar that is. .

JAWS
02-Nov-08, 04:25
Why? Did they have to hide you for some reason? ;)Give over wifie, I nearly choked on my coffee when i saw that one.

Pouleriscaig
02-Nov-08, 10:58
I would rather die than sing God Save the Queen to someone privileged by birth and who benefitted by a feudal system and has the power to distribute the wealth she has to people are starving and homeless, rather than perpetuate inequality.

And I will never sing anything that glorifies 'crushing' rebellious Scots.
This one remains rebellious and will never be crushed!

hotrod4
02-Nov-08, 13:17
I would rather die than sing God Save the Queen to someone privileged by birth and who benefitted by a feudal system and has the power to distribute the wealth she has to people are starving and homeless, rather than perpetuate inequality.

So you dont like the queen much then? ;)

Kenneth
02-Nov-08, 13:57
Eurgh anyone who thinks Flower of Scotland is a beautiful song.....is wrong. A 6 year old could have penned it. It's not historic, its not a good tune, its not uplifting....it mopes along and its very dreary and drab.....the only reason it would be an uplifting experience is because you've got about 10,000 other people behind you belting it out. Oh god its awful.......there's a note in that song that our national instrument can't even play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't get much more wrong than that........terrible song, national anthem or not.

I encourage you all to listen to Scots Wa'hae!

Kenneth
02-Nov-08, 14:05
'Scots, who have with Wallace bled, Scots, whom Bruce has often led, Welcome to your gory bed Or to victory! 'Now is the day, and now is the hour: See the front of battle lower (threaten), See approach proud Edward's power - Chains and slavery! 'Who will be a traitor knave? Who will fill a coward's grave? Who's so base as be a slave? - Let him turn, and flee! 'Who for Scotland's King and Law Freedom's sword will strongly draw, Freeman stand or freeman fall, Let him follow me! 'By oppression's woes and pains, By your sons in servile chains, We will drain our dearest veins But they shall be free! 'Lay the proud usurpers low! Tyrants fall in every foe! Liberty is in every blow! Let us do or die!' Now those are some truly inspiring "death or victory" lyrics! Better than "Ooohh flower o scotland...wen wull we see....ur likes again...."
I can imagine droopy dog singing that tune.

Rabbie Burns himself, Scotland's greatest poet, wrote that!! Now I'm sorry but who would you rather have penned our National Anthem?

If I could find out how its meant to be sang rather than the rubbish on youtube I would all post a link here.....the ones on youtube are all slow and sad....much like FOS! :(

Rheghead
02-Nov-08, 15:07

Can you explain to me how the present Queen has benefitted from the feudal system?

Oh and we will only crush the rebellious Scots, the loyal ones have nothing to fear.

Around 1745, the anti-Jacobite sentiment was captured in a fourth verse, with a prayer for the success of George Wade's army then assembling at Newcastle. These words attained some short-term popularity, although they did not appear in the published version in Gentleman's Magazine:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

This verse was abandoned soon after, and certainly before the song became accepted as the UK national anthem in the 1780s and 1790s.

TBH
02-Nov-08, 18:39
I would hope that Scots wha hae doesn't become our National anthem as it's a dirge that is not going to uplift anyone.

scotsboy
02-Nov-08, 18:44
The next National Anthem will be God Save The King!

TBH
02-Nov-08, 18:48
The next National Anthem will be God Save The King!You could be right, you could be wrong.

hotrod4
02-Nov-08, 19:04
The next National Anthem will be God Save The King!

There could be trouble though if it misses Charles and goes to His eldest son.;)

Oddquine
03-Nov-08, 00:44
I'm not so inclined to worry about tunes....I like words that mean something.......so "Scotland will Flourish" would get my vote if voting for a Scottish National anthem.

As for GSOGQ.....the first notes have always been a signal to me from my earliest recollection to get out of the cinema before the crowds who did stand for it left..........or to turn off the radio before the World Service started.

hotrod4
03-Nov-08, 07:21
I rememeber when you used to get God save the Queen at the end of the days broadcasting with a pic of a Union Jack fluttering in the wind.
We always used to stand up in our house when that came on. It was the highlight of the day!!!! Maybe if more people did the same (install a bit of pride) then maybe the country wouldnt be in the state its in? After all if you are proud of something you wont try and break it.

Kenneth
03-Nov-08, 14:03
I would hope that Scots wha hae doesn't become our National anthem as it's a dirge that is not going to uplift anyone.

Ah yes the dirge is not good, but there are two versions that have made it a much more quicker upbeat and overall more uplifting tuney. if i could find it i would show you but i've only heard it on a cd and iv no idea how to put a tune on from my pc onto the org! :(