PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permits

weefee
30-Oct-08, 12:57
Im planning on tiling my kitchen but thought i would replace a couple of the old sockets that are in my house and move my cooker point down a couple of inches so a) will make the tiling easier b) will look far nicer out the way c) the point is quite old and thought i would upgrade it......

quite a simple little job really....you would think.... yeah well i have since been informed by my housing associaiton that i will require a planning permit to move any plug socket in my house...at a cost of £160 ish!!!!!!!!

so much for home improvements!!!!

scrabster view
30-Oct-08, 13:10
Why dont you just move it - as long as you have an electrician to do it.

Do the housing association really keep a record of where plugs are situated in all of their houses?

Moonboots
30-Oct-08, 13:51
You can move it but if its in the kitchen then you have to get a qualified electrician due to the new regulations.

Kodiak
30-Oct-08, 14:39
Just as a Thought, If your Cooker Socket is old as you say then perhaps it requires to be replaced. So why not contact your Landlord and get them to replace it with a new one and at the same time get it moved to where you want it.

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 14:51
Just as a Thought, If your Cooker Socket is old as you say then perhaps it requires to be replaced. So why not contact your Landlord and get them to replace it with a new one and at the same time get it moved to where you want it.

I agree with you there Kodiak; any updates will benefit the landlords and they should be approached about them. In fact it may even be compulsary for them to keep your electrics up to date and complying with regulations.

Good luck Weefee!

bekisman
30-Oct-08, 14:54
It's a minefield, but does this (below) mean that a lot of 'minor' work can be undertaken - apart from in Kitchens - without Building Control being notified?
Any electricians out there?

BUILDING REGULATIONS - PART P - ELECTRICAL SAFETY http://www.braintree.gov.uk/braintree/images/shim.gif

From the 1st January 2005, the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations will be controlled under the Building Regulations.
The New Part P will apply to dwelling houses and flats including garden electrics, ponds, outbuildings, garages, greenhouses, conservatories, porches, a covered yard or way and car ports open on at least two sides.
*From the 1st January 2005, all electrical work in dwellings will need to comply with Building Regulations Part P requirements and be carried out by persons who are competent to design and undertake the work.
*Minor Work, such as:-
replacing any electrical fitting including socket -outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
replacing cable for a single circuit only, where damaged by fire, rodent or impact
re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components
providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations.
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation and consists of:-
Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit
Adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding
Will not need not be notified to a Building Control Body (see table 1 of Approved Document P)

hotrod4
30-Oct-08, 15:34
If you know a sparky then maybe they could do a "homer" ?
I asked a company (wont mention the name) to add a new double socket in our Living room.
Tapping into original circuit.
The price for that one socket was £170+Vat.
So it can be expensive, I would certainly contact the landlord and ask about what they would be prepared to do for you if youre willing to maybe split costs, on the understanding that when/if you leave then you have to leave it all behind.(tbh who is gonna remove sockets to take with them!!!)

joxville
30-Oct-08, 23:46
I would have gone ahead and changed it without asking. I'm competent enough with home electrics and have done many jobs for myself and others. As hotrod was quoted £170+VAT for a job that would take me about 1hr max, these new regs are just a licence to print money.