PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Mock the Week

Rheghead
30-Oct-08, 12:15
Does anyone else watch Mock the Week? I used to watch it and I found it quite witty satire but recently the gags on this programme has become increasingly tasteless and too close to the bone. I'm more referring to Frankie Boyle who makes fun of cancer victims, paedophilia, necrophilia etc etc, I just can't watch him anymore and I am afraid that I will desensitise myself to unacceptable content and then I will think anything is worth having a joke flown past it. I am also concerned with a general lack in broadcasting standards on the BBC in general, Brand and Ross are just a small part of the problem.

Does anyone have an opinion on this programme?

thursobhoy
30-Oct-08, 12:40
frankie boyle is a genius, he is really funny and you are doing the right thing if you dont like switch off, also i think the ross and brand thing was very funny!! only two people complained when the programme was actually on, all the rest just jumped on the bandwagon and are complaining for the sake of it or other motives such as a dislike to brand and ross.

people take everything far to serious these days and there are a load more important things to worry about such as climate change/credit crunch.

general rule if people dont like something on tv or radio dont watch or listen and let those who do like watch and be happy.

thank you.

Gizmo
30-Oct-08, 12:59
The best thing on tv by a royal mile and my favourite program ever, Frankie Boyle is fantastic and just says what a lot of people are thinking but too afraid to say, he takes it to the edge and i love that, there is not much that offends me or i find unacceptable in humour, i can find humour in the darkest of subjects.

You may want to avoid the 'Mock The Week - Too Hot For Tv' dvd then Rheghead :D

badger
30-Oct-08, 13:16
Think I watched this once before deciding it was not just a waste of time but in many ways unacceptable. It appeals to the lowest common denominator and the fact that there is now so much of it just shows how low standards have fallen. Many of these so-called comedians rely on bad language, vulgarity and jokes at someone else's expense (which is basically bullying) as a substitute for genuine talent. There are still some very funny, intelligent, quick-witted comedians on radio and tv who don't have to resort to this rubbish. Sadly there are also comedians with talent who feel they have to do this stuff to get air-time and that's where the lack of control at the top comes in.

brokencross
30-Oct-08, 13:34
I love Mock the Week and like Frankie Boyle's humour, but agree with Rheghead he goes too far sometimes. 99% of his stuff (Frankie Boyles stuff not Rhegheads) is comic genius and he does not need to resort to the unsavoury stuff to get cheap laughs.

Angela
30-Oct-08, 14:09
I've watched a few times but haven't found it all that funny and ended up switching off.

The fact it's not to my taste doesn't make it socially unacceptable though -I'm old enough to remember 'That was the Week that Was' and how shocking that seemed to the older generation, while we young'uns thought it was quite brilliant.

I do object to the overall dumbing down of programmes on all channels, including the news, to make them appealing to the lowest common denominator. I do believe we should expect and ask for better quality news reports and documentaries and I'd like to see more classics and more contemporary drama of some substance.

Comedy's a bit different though I think. Partly I think it is a generation thing and partly it's just that different people do find different things amusing. If I'm not amused, it doesn't mean I think they are 'bad' programmes that shouldn't be aired.

I'm quite happy to switch off and leave them to the people that enjoy them.

hotrod4
30-Oct-08, 15:22
Mock the week, is brilliant.
Frankie Boyle is a genius and part of the main reason that I tune in.

Dont know why it has to be "mock the week" what did we ever do them, I much prefer "mock the Thurso" ;) Its got a nice ring to it dont you think!!! [lol]

hotrod4
30-Oct-08, 15:26
I've watched a few times but haven't found it all that funny and ended up switching off.

The fact it's not to my taste doesn't make it socially unacceptable though -I'm old enough to remember 'That was the Week that Was' and how shocking that seemed to the older generation, while we young'uns thought it was quite brilliant.

I do object to the overall dumbing down of programmes on all channels, including the news, to make them appealing to the lowest common denominator. I do believe we should expect and ask for better quality news reports and documentaries and I'd like to see more classics and more contemporary drama of some substance.

Comedy's a bit different though I think. Partly I think it is a generation thing and partly it's just that different people do find different things amusing. If I'm not amused, it doesn't mean I think they are 'bad' programmes that shouldn't be aired.

I'm quite happy to switch off and leave them to the people that enjoy them.

I dont think comedy is a generation thing. One of my favourite all time shows that I loved as a kid was Harold LLoyd, I loved watching him and thought he was a genius.(I watched repeats as I am not that old to watch it first time) Saying that I also like rude comedians like Roy Chubby Brown.
One thing I dont like is BBC sitcoms like My Family and that superhero thing, to me that just aint funny.
I agree that just because I dont like it,it shouldnt be aired(Just so long as you dont mention BBC ALBA!!!!!) ;)

Gizmo
30-Oct-08, 16:47
Think I watched this once before deciding it was not just a waste of time but in many ways unacceptable. It appeals to the lowest common denominator and the fact that there is now so much of it just shows how low standards have fallen. Many of these so-called comedians rely on bad language, vulgarity and jokes at someone else's expense (which is basically bullying) as a substitute for genuine talent. There are still some very funny, intelligent, quick-witted comedians on radio and tv who don't have to resort to this rubbish. Sadly there are also comedians with talent who feel they have to do this stuff to get air-time and that's where the lack of control at the top comes in.

That's purely your personal opinion, it's watched by millions of viewers each week, surely you think you are somehow morally superior to the rest of us?...pah!...miserable old duffer[disgust]

mccaugm
30-Oct-08, 17:49
I love Mock The Week, its class. Yeah the humour can be near the knuckle but thats the beauty of the programme. I bought the DVD for my hubbies birthday last year and watch it over and over. I love Russell Howard as well....hes cute and funny..the man has it made. LOL!!![lol]

Kenneth
30-Oct-08, 17:57
Frankie Boyle is hilarious!!!!

Unlikely scenes in the new batman movie:
Frankie Boyle: Whats that joker? You'll be back? Somehow, I don't think so!

Sick but funny.

percy toboggan
30-Oct-08, 19:30
I'd never heard of Boyle, but he was on Radio 5 with SAimon Mayo yesterday afternoon. I thought he was funny. I'm guided by you though Rheghead to an extent, I shall tune in to Mock the Week and be prepared to be convinced. I do not think the BBC should revert to bland, annodine comedic content but that leaves plenty of room to manouvre before plumbing the depths charted by Brand & Ross.

Thursobhoy - how would you react if a school chum left messages on your parents ansafone detailing a lurid account of your sex life -assuming you have one?

percy toboggan
30-Oct-08, 19:37
That's purely your personal opinion, it's watched by millions of viewers each week, surely you think you are somehow morally superior to the rest of us?...pah!...miserable old duffer[disgust]

Millions would tune in to a public stoning - probably. The figures prove nothing. I expect it is like many other 'cutting edge' progs....funny in parts, close to the knuckle and foul mouthed in others.

The comedy programme that made me laugh more than any other was probably 'The Comedians' back in the early seventies. A different genre...but that really was watched by MILLIONS. Audience figures for shows like 'Mock the Week' are small fry in comparison.

'Miserable old duffer' ? you call Badger...I see the alleged sharp wit you are so fond of has not sunk in...could you not be more original?

Gizmo
30-Oct-08, 21:48
Millions would tune in to a public stoning - probably. The figures prove nothing. I expect it is like many other 'cutting edge' progs....funny in parts, close to the knuckle and foul mouthed in others.

The comedy programme that made me laugh more than any other was probably 'The Comedians' back in the early seventies. A different genre...but that really was watched by MILLIONS. Audience figures for shows like 'Mock the Week' are small fry in comparison.

'Miserable old duffer' ? you call Badger...I see the alleged sharp wit you are so fond of has not sunk in...could you not be more original?

Yes i could have been more original, but it would have probably left me sharing a room with Melancoly Man[para] :eek:

DeHaviLand
30-Oct-08, 22:50
Thursobhoy - how would you react if a school chum left messages on your parents ansafone detailing a lurid account of your sex life -assuming you have one?

I thought everyone had an ansafone these days ;)

wavy davy
30-Oct-08, 23:13
Frankie Boyle - IMHO the funniest man on telly. Ross and Brandt went too far but the way that our beloved political leaders jumped on the bandwagon is, again IMHO, the most sickening thing about the whole affair.

Whitewater
30-Oct-08, 23:24
'Mock the Week' is a brilliant programme and should not be missed. However, having said that, there has been a steady lowering of the standards of what is deemed to be acceptable on the BBC and TV in general. The recent crisis has come about because of the bad taste of two of their top presenters. They have thrown out the sort of homour we would expect from witty primary 7 pupils, and we have all got into the habit of accepting it. It is our fault as well as the programme controlers at the BBC for accepting this sort of smut, but luckily many people have now objected, and hopefully the 'powers that be' are taking notice.

I'm quite sure that if any of you, no matter how funny you thought the gag was, had the same sort of message left on your answering machine, you would not be laughing.

Amy-Winehouse
30-Oct-08, 23:28
Never heard of it but Im up for watching it now, whens it on so that I can escape watching football or Disney Channel for a little while?

Julia
31-Oct-08, 00:14
I used to really enjoy 'mock the week' but I do have to agree it has gone downhill over the last year or so, anything for a cheap laugh! I feel the same about 8 out of 10 cats, I kinda liked Jimmy Carr and his sarcastic wit but now he just goes too far.

Kevin Milkins
31-Oct-08, 00:30
Bring back Norman Wisdom :roll:

JAWS
31-Oct-08, 06:07
Never even heard of Muck uf the Weak, doesn’t sound like I’ve missed much. When’s it on?

hotrod4
31-Oct-08, 06:10
Bring back Norman Wisdom :roll:

Never mind Norman just bring back some darn Wisdom!!!!! [lol]

JAWS
31-Oct-08, 07:20
Best suggestion yet, I like that one.

footie chick
31-Oct-08, 16:28
Frankie Boyle - IMHO the funniest man on telly. .

Me too just ordered his new DVD for hubbys xmas. Might have to open it when it arrives and watch it just to make sure it's working :lol:

honey
31-Oct-08, 16:30
i love mock the week.. and I love frankie Boyle... yes, some if his material is a bit close to the bone... but i have seen him live and think he is fantastic.

Definately a comedian i would go to see again

percy toboggan
31-Oct-08, 16:46
Yes i could have been more original, but it would have probably left me sharing a room with Melancoly Man[para] :eek:
I wondered where he had disappeared to :confused
...was it something he said?
I really must try to keep up.

Gizmo
31-Oct-08, 17:00
I wondered where he had disappeared to :confused
...was it something he said?
I really must try to keep up.

It says he's suspended, suspended from what i'm not quite sure, it's probably something kinky done in a darkened room :eek:

percy toboggan
31-Oct-08, 17:04
Oh Blimey! Poor MM.
We must soldier on, it's what he'd want.

Kenneth
31-Oct-08, 17:37
Some of his stuff is very risque but my lord he word he makes me laugh! And actually his stuff is quite clever too! Its not just rude like Roy Chubby Brown, I will never laugh at one of his 'jokes'!

Also Lee Evans, everyone raves about him but I just tire of him. 5 minutes into his show and Im bored. Oh right Lee give it a rest, you stop pretending to be a monkey/old person/some other really low-level humour rubbish!

This may be controversial but Big Yin disnae do it for me either! Bit boring really.

I like David O'Doherty, Russel Kane, Ross Noble, Mark Steel, Omar Djali, Noel Fielding, Jason Byrne, Glen Wool, Jullian Barrat, Bill Bailey and loads more to list....

Mystical Potato Head
31-Oct-08, 18:19
Yes,he's close to the bone and agree his stuff is very clever but he doesn't feel the need to leave abusive messages on a pensioners answer phone thinking that will get a laugh.

thursobhoy
31-Oct-08, 18:28
I'd never heard of Boyle, but he was on Radio 5 with SAimon Mayo yesterday afternoon. I thought he was funny. I'm guided by you though Rheghead to an extent, I shall tune in to Mock the Week and be prepared to be convinced. I do not think the BBC should revert to bland, annodine comedic content but that leaves plenty of room to manouvre before plumbing the depths charted by Brand & Ross.

i wouldnt mind at all to be honest, as i have said there is much more important things in the world to get upset or worry about.

im sick of all these daily mail readers trying to dictate to evrybody on what is funny and acceptable, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT WATCH OR LISTEN TO IT!!! its a very simple answer to a very simple problem.

and frankie boyle is a genius...the one about princess di and the minefield is a favourite of mine!!!

hotrod4
31-Oct-08, 18:31
Agree with Kenneth there, Bill Bailey is soooo funny, just wish he do another series of Black books.
All the shows I like get cancelled! I even liked Seans show ;)

tommy1979
31-Oct-08, 23:07
http://www.demontforthall.co.uk/assets/asset_images/event-feature-image/1206629789_frankie-boyle-crop-web-feat.jpg
Comedy Genius

TBH
31-Oct-08, 23:46
Is mock the week supposed to be off the cuff or is it all rehearsed?

wifie
31-Oct-08, 23:50
Agree with Kenneth there, Bill Bailey is soooo funny, just wish he do another series of Black books.
All the shows I like get cancelled! I even liked Seans show ;)

LOVE BB and I adored Black Books!

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 00:53
Is mock the week supposed to be off the cuff or is it all rehearsed?

Not 100% sure, i think it may be a bit of both, most of the show certainly feels very off the cuff, but at certain times, like when Hugh Dennis does a running commentary to a piece of news footage it must be rehearsed, the Prince Charles & Camilla 'Have You Seen My Cheese' sketch was an absolute classic and i doubt very much that he could have come up with something so funny without some planning.

joxville
01-Nov-08, 00:58
Here it is Gizmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNKyC8v5CM

This one with Chooky Embra is good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbM3ODdARc

TBH
01-Nov-08, 01:02
Not 100% sure, i think it may be a bit of both, most of the show certainly feels very off the cuff, but at certain times, like when Hugh Dennis does a running commentary to a piece of news footage it must be rehearsed, the Prince Charles & Camilla 'Have You Seen My Cheese' sketch was an absolute classic and i doubt very much that he could have come up with something so funny without some planning.I would think if their responses to situations are not 'off the cuff', then the program is pointless.

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 01:28
Here it is Gizmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNKyC8v5CM

This one with Chooky Embra is good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbM3ODdARc

Yeah that's a great one, but this is the one i had in mind.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrUvozIpZM&feature=related

I didn't know you had a Kilt.....Well...we never had her Kilt...:lol: genius

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 11:55
But arent funny people illegal these days?
A bit of comedy near the cuff,on the cuff or darn right over the cuff is always welcome in my book!
Humour makes the world go round but there are those that frown upon humour.
If it makes one person laugh its funny, i dont get alot of comedians but I get where they are coming from and thats whats more important. :)

Welcomefamily
01-Nov-08, 13:37
I think mock the week is great, it is close to the bone at times and I think it is generally very off the cuff as having watch nearly every one, you do at times get a few extremely quiet moments when they get stuck. As for Frankie his views on a terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport was possible one of the funnist things I have ever heard in light of what had happened.

They dont ring people up and insult them which is a highly direct motive. Its very different than making a comment on somebody actions.

Rheghead
01-Nov-08, 15:47
It might be that MtW could be in for a decency shake-up, obviously there are people who are looking at the wider issue than Ross and Brand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/31/bbb-frankie-boyle-mock-the-week

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 15:58
It might be that MtW could be in for a decency shake-up, obviously there are people who are looking at the wider issue than Ross and Brand.

But thats in The guardian it doesnt count. ;)

Which part of the "off" button do people not understand?
If you think you will be offended by something dont watch it. But there are those whose simple goal in life is to lambast and complain about everything.
I dont like soaps so I dont watch them, I like football so I watch that, why cant those that dont like it just leave it be? rather than watch it purely to pick "flaws" bah Humbug!!

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 16:48

If those gits Ross & Brand end up getting my favourite show tamed down then i will personally hunt them down and poke them in the eyes with a rusty spoon[evil] either that or start a petition to have it moved to channel four:p

Rheghead
01-Nov-08, 17:51
If those gits Ross & Brand end up getting my favourite show tamed down then i will personally hunt them down and poke them in the eyes with a rusty spoon[evil] either that or start a petition to have it moved to channel four:p

Would you find it so funny if they made the subject of their joke one of your loved ones? No holds barred comedy, anything goes!

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 18:47
Would you find it so funny if they made the subject of their joke one of your loved ones? No holds barred comedy, anything goes!

I wouldn't mind at all, i make fun of my loved ones all the time, being spiteful and nasty to someone is completely different to making fun of them for comedy, none of these comedy shows are nasty or spiteful with their humour, what Ross & Brand did wasn't nasty and spiteful, it just wasn't funny in the slightest, going against the wishes of Andrew Sachs and broadcasting it when he had refused permission is where their prank stepped over the line, i don't think the content of what they did deserved the furore that it got, and had Sachs given his permission for it to be aired we would have heard next to nothing about this.

Rheghead
01-Nov-08, 18:51
I wouldn't mind at all, i make fun of my loved ones all the time.

I feel sorry for you that you think that it would be perfectly acceptable for Frankie Boyle to go on BBC TV and make a joke about your mother being so old that her pussy is now haunted.[disgust]

Have you lost your sense of decency?:confused

thursobhoy
01-Nov-08, 18:59
the pussy is haunted joke was a classic!!! almost as good as the princess di gangbang in a minefield celebration instead of a pop concert!!

frankie boyle= comedy genius!!

Gizmo
01-Nov-08, 19:09
I feel sorry for you that you think that it would be perfectly acceptable for Frankie Boyle to go on BBC TV and make a joke about your mother being so old that her pussy is now haunted.[disgust]

Don't feel sorry for me, there is absolutely nothing in comedy that i would get offended at, i either find it funny or not funny, this whole thing of getting offended at something is just down to political correctness, i'm 100% Scottish and never get offended at jokes that rip the piss out of Scotland or Scottish people, i usually find them hilarious, and if my mother was somehow in the public eye i would accept that she would be an open target for comedians.

One of the funniest things i have heard Frankie Boyle say was directed at Qlympic winner Rebecca Adlington when he said that she had a face that was like looking into the back of a spoon :)

Lost my sense of decency?...not at all, i just take comedy for what it is...comedy.

footie chick
01-Nov-08, 20:05

What if her poor cat is haunted?

You can turn anything into something its not if you have that kind of mind. If you dont like it turn off. Thats what I do to all the mind numbing soaps that they insist on showing night in night out.

In this PC world which we now live in it will be a criminal act to be seen to having fun!

hotrod4
01-Nov-08, 21:30
What if her poor cat is haunted?

In this PC world which we now live in it will be a criminal act to be seen to having fun!

Thats a blatant plug! Whats wrong with Comet or Curry's? ;)
Why would you want to live in a store anyway:confused

footie chick
01-Nov-08, 21:56
Thats a blatant plug! Whats wrong with Comet or Curry's?
Why would you want to live in a store anyway:confused

I wouldn't [lol][lol] {maybe I would then I would get away from my bunch for a while lol}

I've had many a good deal from Comet and Currys lol

Rheghead
02-Nov-08, 01:06
I watched 2 episodes of MtW on Dave tonight, just for research purposes you hear? The first episode was made in the last 12 months and it had all the hallmarks of the decline in standards. However, the later version had no filthy language, good witty satire and very hilarious. But right at the end there was a gag about the death of Steve Irwin, now I made a joke about that on here and it went down like a lead balloon enough for me to get a telling off.:roll:

guitarzan
03-Nov-08, 09:38
Mock The Week is hilarious. Frankie Boyle and co. are hilarious... Russell Howard - not so much.

Neil Howie
03-Nov-08, 20:49
Went to Frankie's gig in aid of some Cancer charity in Inverness and it was great!

Far better than the sexist/racist/boring crap that used to parade on our tv and call itself comedy when all we had was two and a half channels.