PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads, Lyth

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 00:15
A long shot I know but does anyone have an old photograph of the house at the crossroads in Lyth? It used to be the local shop and the postie, Willie Nicolson and his wife Etta, lived there.

This is a link to a picture of the house as it is now, taken from Bill's collection on the org.....

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/photogallery/index.php?gallery=18&image=7

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful. :)

Fran
30-Oct-08, 02:39
Is this what was the last former post office at Lyth down the road a bit from Barrock house? It used to be where the dogs from the house were kept.

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 12:05
No Fran, nothing to do with the Sutherland's place at all. It was the local shop at the crossroads which was run by Etta Nicolson. Her husband Willie Nicolson was the postie but the post office was not there.

The place at the end of the Lyth Arts Centre (formerly the school) road was the Post Office, run by Jessie Sutherland and when the place at the crossroads closed, Jessie set up a shop as well thus running both services from the same premises for many years.

I am hoping that someone here may know something of Willie and Etta's relations who possibly could have a photograph of the place as it was back then.

Angela
30-Oct-08, 12:17
Torvaig, Etta Nicolson (m.s. Keith) was my Mum's first cousin. :)

We used to visit the house quite often. Not sure if I have a photo with it in tho', but just maybe.....:confused

I'll have a look though my old photos & will let you know if I find anything.

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 12:38
Angela, you darling! :) I never knew you were related! It would be lovely if you can help me; even if the pictures are old and faded, I am willing to have copies digitally enhanced as this is important to me. Will pm you with my reasons....

Fran
31-Oct-08, 03:03
So glad you found someone, and a distant relative too. you can find anything on caithness org, dont know how we would manage without it.

Torvaig
31-Oct-08, 11:25
I don't think Angela and I are related Fran;:~( she is related to the people who lived at the Crossroads. Mind you, I wouldn't mind as we've become good friends through the org. OK then, I'll adopt Angela as a long lost cousin!

HI COZ! :lol: