PDA

View Full Version : 20 useless facts...

elaine
19-Jan-06, 20:33
1. A rat can last longer without water than a camel.

2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.

3. The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

5. A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why.

6. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily! (That explains a few mysteries....)

7. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

8. The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000.

9. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.

10. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan. There was never a recorded Wendy before.

11. Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to s-l-o-w film down so you could see his moves.

12. The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA."

13. The original name for butterfly was flutterby.

14. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

15. Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

16. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

17. Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."

18. The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.

19. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave!

20. 99.99% of all the living things that ever existed are now extinct.

Does anyone else have any more useless facts?

paris
19-Jan-06, 20:47
My hubby is useless and thats a fact ! lol

krieve
19-Jan-06, 20:48
The porpoise is second to man as the most intelligent animal on the planet.

Young beavers stay with their parents for the first two years of their lives before going out on their own.

Skunks can accurately spray their smelly fluid as far as ten feet.

Deer can't eat hay.

Rabbits don't sweat.

Fluff
19-Jan-06, 21:01
a fighter/jet pilot can only eject from thier seat three times as the spine cannot take the pressure of any more.

the length between your elbow and your wrist is the length of the sole of your foot!

nobody has the same set of fingerprints, even identical twins

horses are the only animals on earth that can run faster than their heartbeat (it will kill them)

melted_wellie
19-Jan-06, 21:08
95% of all American Motorcycles ever made are still on the road! the rest made it home.

DrSzin
19-Jan-06, 21:45
5. A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why. I know! [smirk]

Sporran
19-Jan-06, 21:52
OK, tell us the answer then, doc! Does it have something to do with the frequency of the sound waves, or something like that? Or am I quacking up the wrong tree?

Tristan
19-Jan-06, 21:59
I know! [smirk]
I believe scientists have found a duck's quack does echo it is just very very faint.

lasher
19-Jan-06, 23:00
Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that's been hit by lightning.

porshiepoo
19-Jan-06, 23:01
zebra's stripes are white not black!

connieb19
19-Jan-06, 23:34
An apple, onion and potato all have the same taste!!
To prove this pinch your nose and take a bite from each of them....
they will all taste the same.. :confused:

Thin skinned lemons are the juciest!! :Razz

Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave...

Beer foam will go down by licking your finger and putting it in the foam!!

If you put a lightbulb into a cup of water and place it in the microwave
the bulb will light up when you turn the microwave on!! [para]

These facts have all been tried and tested by myself so I know they are true...[lol]

krieve
19-Jan-06, 23:47
connie why where you putting a grape in the microwave?

connieb19
19-Jan-06, 23:51
connie why where you putting a grape in the microwave?Why not, I tried a whole bunch one time..lol :lol:

krieve
19-Jan-06, 23:53
sorry just curious bet your microwave was a right state after

connieb19
19-Jan-06, 23:58
SPAM stands for shoulder pork and ham!!

DrSzin
20-Jan-06, 01:06

These facts have all been tried and tested by myself so I know they are true...[lol]I wasn't impressed by the exploding grapes -- mine just went ppfsssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttt.

But the light-blub trick is brill! As far as I can make out the water is simply to cool the bulb. I tried it without water and the filament melted in a few secs. Don't use too much water -- it aborbs too much microwave energy and the bulb doesn't light at all.

Cool stuff. :D

One day I'm gonna measure the speed of light with chocolate and a microwave (http://physics.about.com/cs/opticsexperiments/a/290903.htm). I don't have a bar of chocolate handy right now. [disgust]

angela5
20-Jan-06, 01:09
One day I'm gonna measure the speed of light with chocolate and a microwave (http://physics.about.com/cs/opticsexperiments/a/290903.htm). I don't have a bar of chocolate handy right now. [disgust]

Tried it drszin it was the fastest chocolate krispies i ever made:roll:

grantyg
20-Jan-06, 10:28
87% of all facts are made up!

Dusty
20-Jan-06, 10:43
SPAM stands for shoulder pork and ham!!
My understanding was that SPAM stood for Spiced Pork and Ham connie.

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 19:28
I wasn't impressed by the exploding grapes -- mine just went ppfsssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttt.

But the light-blub trick is brill! As far as I can make out the water is simply to cool the bulb. I tried it without water and the filament melted in a few secs. Don't use too much water -- it aborbs too much microwave energy and the bulb doesn't light at all.

Cool stuff. :D

One day I'm gonna measure the speed of light with chocolate and a microwave (http://physics.about.com/cs/opticsexperiments/a/290903.htm). I don't have a bar of chocolate handy right now. [disgust]Try this then, hopefylly you will get a better effect!! :grin:

Carefuly slice the grape, almost in half, leaving the grape attached by the skin. Next, place the grape halves face down in the middle of the microwave
Cook at full power for 60 seconds. The sparks should start to fly after about 5 seconds. If it dosn't work great first time, don't give up, some work better than others. I find the green ones work best!! :roll:

Saveman
20-Jan-06, 20:13
Just don't try cooking an egg in the microwave, whatever you do!

Even you just put it on for a few seconds and then take it out, it can still explode!

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 20:20
Just don't try cooking an egg in the microwave, whatever you do!

Even you just put it on for a few seconds and then take it out, it can still explode!I once blew the door off my microwave when i put in one of those plastic ice packs :confused: I found out afterwards that the contents are highly explosive and i was lucky to have not caused more damage. [para]

Its quite interesting to watch if you put a cd in the microwave though..
stand it upright against a cup and watch the colours!!
Don't use a good cd though because its useless afterwards!

Fluff
20-Jan-06, 20:26
zebra's stripes are white not black!

all zebras have different stripes, no two zebras are the same!!

Saveman
20-Jan-06, 21:55
<snip>
17. Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
<snip>

He did in the Basil Rathbone movies...regularly.
Maybe he didn't in the original books...I've not read any... :)

JAWS
20-Jan-06, 22:01
Roasted Carrots can be used as a Coffee Substitute. (Well I'm certainly not goint to test that)

An EU Directive classifies Carrot as a fruit for the purposes of making Jam!
It seems that Jam (Preserves for the posh) have to be made from fruit.
The Portuguese were very unhappy because they have a passion for Carrot Jam.
Simple solution was as above.

Despite constant denials, an EU Directive about 'Straight' bananas really does exist.
EU Regulation 2257/94 contains, amongst other things, that they have to be:-

"Free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers". or put more simply 'a straight banana'.

See http://www.btinternet.com/~brentours/EU42.htm for the full Regulation.

You wont believe how much rubbish can be produced over something you can eat in a few seconds.
To be sure the banana you buy complies with the Regulations you need an accurate ruler and a lot of patience.
By the time you had made sure it was in full compliance it probably would not be fit to eat and the shop had been locked and barred for the weekend.

DrSzin
21-Jan-06, 01:14
Try this then, hopefylly you will get a better effect!! :grin:

Carefuly slice the grape, almost in half, leaving the grape attached by the skin. Next, place the grape halves face down in the middle of the microwave
Cook at full power for 60 seconds. The sparks should start to fly after about 5 seconds. If it dosn't work great first time, don't give up, some work better than others. I find the green ones work best!! :roll:Wow, what a difference! I put half a dozen green ones in it and created my very own firework display. :D

TopCatsPurr
21-Jan-06, 01:25
1. Sperm whales have the largest brain of all animals/mammals.

2. Most toilets flush in the key of E flat.

3. You can't lick your own elbow.

4. Hitler only had one testicle.

5. White chocolate doesn't contain any chocolate.

6. "Vodka" is Russian for "Little Water".

7. "Beam me up Scottie" was never said in Star Treck.

8. Luke Skywalkers original name in Starwars was Luke Starkiller.

9. Nobody knows where Mozart is buried.

10. If you circle your right leg clockwise whilst sitting, and try drawing the
number 6 in the air at the same time, you can't keep the clockwise
motion going with your leg.

11. Spiders have transparent blood.

12. 1 out of 3 male motorists pick their nose whilst driving.

13. Wolves can get stuck together for a few minutes after mating.

14. Onions have no flavour, only smell.

15. The contraseptive pill works on gorillas.

16. Chocolate and avacado can kill a parrot.

17. The longest name in the bible is Mahershalalbaz.

18. Cocaine was the first local anesthetic used from about 1884.

19. The vocabulary of the average person consists of 5 - 6 thousand words.

20. A dentist invented the Electric Chair.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-06, 10:42
My son loves all these postings he is so full of useless information and is gathering more by reading this.Connie he swears you watch Brainiac on television.Some of his useless facts

1.400 Quarter pounders can be made from one cow.
2.Hitler might have only one testicle so did Napolean.
3.Two men in WW2 were reported to have 3 testicles.
4.Coca cola owns the worlds second largest truck fleet.
5.Coca cola was originally green.
6.Peanuts are cholesterol free.
7.Peanuts are used in dynamite.
8.Salt is one of the few spices which is all taste and no smell.
9.Salt is the only rock humans can eat.
10.On average there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.
11.fifty per cent of teenage boys say that they would rather be rich than smart.
12.Winston churchill was born in a ladies room during a dance.
13.A saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.
14.Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
15.The percentage of men who wash their hands after the toilet is 55%.
16.The percentage of woman who wash their hands after the tiolet is 80%.
17.Travelling by air is the safest means of transportation.
18.Two out of five husbands wil tell their wife daily that they love them.
19.You are more likley to get attacked by a cow than a shark.
20.August is the month when most babies are born.
21.The great scientist Einstein had a fear of socks, if he saw a pair he ran out the room!
22. The world record of most children to one mother is 69!!!
23. Sherlock holmes never said "Elementry, my dear Watson".
24.Most fatal car accidents happen on a Saturday.
25. Nobody has yet explained why couples who get married in Januray, February and March have the highest divorce rates.
26. Did you know that your more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than a poisonous spider.
27. 7% of Americans think that Elvis is alive.
28.40% of women have hurled footwear at a man.
29. A car is stolen every thirty seconds in America.
30. The record for the worlds worst driver is between two candidates:
1) a 75-year-old man who recieved 10 traffic tickets, drove on the wrong side of the road 4 times, commited 4 hit-and-run offences, and caused 6 accindents, all within 20 minutes.
2) a 62-year-old woman who failed her driving test 40 times before finaly passing it( by that time she had spent over &#163;500 on driving tests and could no longer afford a car).

Hope you enjoyed reading these let us know what you think! Nicola age12 Craig age11

connieb19
21-Jan-06, 11:36
My son loves all these postings he is so full of useless information and is gathering more by reading this.Connie he swears you watch Brainiac on television.Some of his useless facts

1.400 Quarter pounders can be made from one cow.
2.Hitler might have only one testicle so did Napolean.
3.Two men in WW2 were reported to have 3 testicles.
4.Coca cola owns the worlds second largest truck fleet.
5.Coca cola was originally green.
6.Peanuts are cholesterol free.
7.Peanuts are used in dynamite.
8.Salt is one of the few spices which is all taste and no smell.
9.Salt is the only rock humans can eat.
10.On average there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.
11.fifty per cent of teenage boys say that they would rather be rich than smart.
12.Winston churchill was born in a ladies room during a dance.
13.A saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.
14.Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
15.The percentage of men who wash their hands after the toilet is 55%.
16.The percentage of woman who wash their hands after the tiolet is 80%.
17.Travelling by air is the safest means of transportation.
18.Two out of five husbands wil tell their wife daily that they love them.
19.You are more likley to get attacked by a cow than a shark.
20.August is the month when most babies are born.
21.The great scientist Einstein had a fear of socks, if he saw a pair he ran out the room!
22. The world record of most children to one mother is 69!!!
23. Sherlock holmes never said "Elementry, my dear Watson".
24.Most fatal car accidents happen on a Saturday.
25. Nobody has yet explained why couples who get married in Januray, February and March have the highest divorce rates.
26. Did you know that your more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than a poisonous spider.
27. 7% of Americans think that Elvis is alive.
28.40% of women have hurled footwear at a man.
29. A car is stolen every thirty seconds in America.
30. The record for the worlds worst driver is between two candidates:
1) a 75-year-old man who recieved 10 traffic tickets, drove on the wrong side of the road 4 times, commited 4 hit-and-run offences, and caused 6 accindents, all within 20 minutes.
2) a 62-year-old woman who failed her driving test 40 times before finaly passing it( by that time she had spent over £500 on driving tests and could no longer afford a car).

Hope you enjoyed reading these let us know what you think!Brilliant Alice, I love em. I've only seen Brainiac once, that was over the Christmas and I told myself I must watch it more often, I had forgotten all about it though so thanks for reminding me!!..lol:D

connieb19
21-Jan-06, 11:43
Wow, what a difference! I put half a dozen green ones in it and created my very own firework display. :DIf yo like fireworks, try this one..
Put a handfull of straight pins(the ones with the coloured heads are best), jumbled up(not stacked neatly), into the microwave. Turn the mocrowave on, on full power and watch the fireworks!! Sparks shoot out of the pins(this is why you want them jumbled up, the sparks fly in all directions):Razz

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-06, 11:44
Connie that was the kids They thought it was great fun Craig comes out with that all the time it can drive me nuts at times though.He has a book he can lend you though 'The book of useless information' its his favourite if only he took as much interest in his schoolwork

connieb19
21-Jan-06, 12:02
Connie that was the kids They thought it was great fun Craig comes out with that all the time it can drive me nuts at times though.He has a book he can lend you though 'The book of useless information' its his favourite if only he took as much interest in his schoolworkAh, schoolwork has never been much fun.. maybe he should be a teacher and I bet the kids would learn more..:D

elaine
21-Jan-06, 13:04
1. There are almost 2000 bed, mattress or pillow injuries a day in America (in the time it has taken you to read this thread, 4 Americans will somehow manage to be wounded by their bedding!)

2. In 1995 computer hackers successfully breached the Pentagon’s security systems 161,000 times.

3. The Earth’s weight is 5.9725 billion trillion tonnes.

4. Protons are so small that a little dib of ink the size of a full-stop can hold something like 500,000,000,000 of them!

5. In the state of Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. (true!)

spiggie
21-Jan-06, 15:39
If yo like fireworks, try this one..
Put a handfull of straight pins(the ones with the coloured heads are best), jumbled up(not stacked neatly), into the microwave. Turn the mocrowave on, on full power and watch the fireworks!! Sparks shoot out of the pins(this is why you want them jumbled up, the sparks fly in all directions):Razz

doesnt this break your microwave though, as your not supposed to put anything silver in it..?

when you have the hiccups and cant get rid of them, itch your ear lobe, it really does work :)

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-06, 15:47
Been reading Craigs book:

1.Every citizen in Kentucky is required by law to bathe once a year.
2.A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in Indiana.
3.Pennsylvania was the first colony to legalise witchcraft.
4.Astronaut Buzz Aldrins mothers maiden name was moon.
5.Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon with his left foot first.
6.Thomas Edison inventor of the light bulb was afraid of the dark.
7.St stephen is the patron saint of bricklayers.
8.Dr jekylls first name is Henry.
9.Alexander Graham Bell never phoned his wife or mother....they were deaf.
10,Impotence is legal grounds for divorce in 24 American states.

Someone take this book away from me.....

DrSzin
21-Jan-06, 16:19
4. Protons are so small that a little dib of ink the size of a full-stop can hold something like 500,000,000,000 of them!Why are the physics ones always either misleading (at best) or just plain wrong? First we had the duck's quack, then Einstein and his socks, and now this. :rolleyes:

The number above may be close to the right ball park for closely-packed hydrogen atoms (each of which consists of a proton and an electron), or perhaps even hydrogen molecules, but protons are much smaller than that! A hydrogen atom is mostly empty space and its diameter is of order a hundred thousand times bigger than that of a proton! If you could somehow put enough protons close together you'd need more like 30 zeros after that 5 in the quote above! Of course you can't do it because protons don't stick together, even via nuclear forces: they fly apart due to their charge. You wouldn't have that problem with neutrons, but they don't bind together either -- well, not unless you put enough of them together so that gravity binds them into a neutron star, but that's one heck of an ink drop...

Anyway, you'd squeeze in about a hundred times more protons if you used uranium rather than hydrogen because uranium atoms ain't much bigger than hydrogen ones -- despite the fact that they're more than two hundred times heavier!

Electrons are at least 100 times smaller than protons, not that the classical concept of size makes a lot of sense for seemingly-pointlike quantum particles like electrons, and they don't stick together either.

Einstein wasn't scared of socks -- he just didn't wear them very often -- at least according to the biographies I've read.

Here endeth today's reading from the the Gospel according to St Szin. As in most gospels, I've probably got some of the numbers wrong. :eyes

elaine
21-Jan-06, 16:44
ooops!
Humble apologies for the terrible mis-information
I'm a bad person.

DrSzin
21-Jan-06, 16:50
Lol, keep 'em coming Elaine. I wasn't being entirely serious. I was just pointing out that you shouldn't believe everything you read in those things.

If anyone learns anything from my sub-atomic ramblings, then all the better. :D

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-06, 19:33
Why are the physics ones always either misleading (at best) or just plain wrong? First we had the duck's quack, then Einstein and his socks, and now this. :rolleyes:

The number above may be close to the right ball park for closely-packed hydrogen atoms (each of which consists of a proton and an electron), or perhaps even hydrogen molecules, but protons are much smaller than that! A hydrogen atom is mostly empty space and its diameter is of order a hundred thousand times bigger than that of a proton! If you could somehow put enough protons close together you'd need more like 30 zeros after that 5 in the quote above! Of course you can't do it because protons don't stick together, even via nuclear forces: they fly apart due to their charge. You wouldn't have that problem with neutrons, but they don't bind together either -- well, not unless you put enough of them together so that gravity binds them into a neutron star, but that's one heck of an ink drop...

Anyway, you'd squeeze in about a hundred times more protons if you used uranium rather than hydrogen because uranium atoms ain't much bigger than hydrogen ones -- despite the fact that they're more than two hundred times heavier!

Electrons are at least 100 times smaller than protons, not that the classical concept of size makes a lot of sense for seemingly-pointlike quantum particles like electrons, and they don't stick together either.

Einstein wasn't scared of socks -- he just didn't wear them very often -- at least according to the biographies I've read.

Here endeth today's reading from the the Gospel according to St Szin. As in most gospels, I've probably got some of the numbers wrong. :eyes

Who needs a book of information Dr Szin you are my hero....lol

_Ju_
21-Jan-06, 20:06
The Portuguese were very unhappy because they have a passion for Carrot Jam.

I am Portuguese and I swear on the good book: I have NEVER heard of carrot jam. We do make tomato jam....yummmmmmyyy and some people like quince marmelade, but carrot jam? nahhhhh

By the way, the bananas also have to be over 14 cm long. This is a problem for Madeira and the canary islands that produce a very sweet, aromatic and intensly flavoured small banana. So the EU regulations favor tasteless larger and straighter bananas from South America.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-06, 20:06
In my (craig) book of information there is a section for scientific facts and statistics. Here is some of the info you can get out of there.

1. A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright Borthers first flight.
2. A bolt of lightening can stirke the earth with a force as great as 100,000,000 volts.
3.A cesium atom in an atomic clock beats 9,192,631,770 times a second.
4.A fully loaded supertanker travelling at normal speed takes at least 20 minutes to stop.
5.A full moon always rises at sunset.
6.Afull moon is 9 times brighter than a half moon.
7.A neutron star has such a powerful gravitational pull that it can spin on its axis in one-thirtienth of a second without taring itself apart.
8.During the time that the atomic bomb was being created illitracy was a job requirement because they didnt want any body to read them.
(by the way Albert Einstein was afraid of socks and somtimes he wouldnt teach students if they were wearing them.)lol

scrapydoo
22-Jan-06, 15:07
I would love to try this connie but i just got a new microwave grrrrr

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 17:55
I would love to try this connie but i just got a new microwave grrrrrJust do it anyway.. like I say I've only destroyed one microwave... another good one is steel wool or tinfoil..
If your not too keen to try this, start off with things like soap and marshmallows...I bet it wont be long until you move on to bigger and better things..:Razz

ice box
22-Jan-06, 18:03
Just do it anyway.. like I say I've only destroyed one microwave... another good one is steel wool or tinfoil..
If your not too keen to try this, start off with things like soap and marshmallows...I bet it wont be long until you move on to bigger and better things..:Razz
G i would hate to see the state of your microwave after the steel wool and tin foil dont you ever watch brainiacs the try things like that you must watch it you could learn some thing new lol

Rheghead
22-Jan-06, 18:23
If you put a vending drinks machine cup in the oven which is on a very low heat ~120 degrees, it will slowly melt back into its original flat shape.

A jumbo jet flying at mach 2 will gain in mass by 0.02 grammes.

lasher
22-Jan-06, 23:49
If you put a vending drinks machine cup in the oven which is on a very low heat ~120 degrees, it will slowly melt back into its original flat shape.

A jumbo jet flying at mach 2 will gain in mass by 0.02 grammes.

Jumbo Jets can't fly that fast.

connieb19
22-Jan-06, 23:51

A jumbo jet flying at mach 2 will gain in mass by 0.02 grammes.Am I stupid or what?:confused: Is a vending machine cup originally flat?:confused:

Rheghead
22-Jan-06, 23:55
Am I stupid or what?:confused: Is a vending machine cup originally flat?:confused:

Yes connie

Thanks Lasher about the correction, I think I got mixed up with concorde:D

Julia
23-Jan-06, 14:24
The average persons total skin weighs 9lbs

The ashes of the average cremated person also weighs 9lbs

Women blink nearly twice as much as men

There is enough iron in the human body to make one small nail

The lifespan of a tastebud is ten days

No war has ever been fought where both countries had a McDonalds

Rheghead
23-Jan-06, 19:36
Women blink nearly twice as much as men

Really? And there I was going round thinking I was God's gift after reading Desmond Morris about people blinking more due to sexual attraction.:p

pedromcgrory
25-Jan-06, 10:04
An apple, onion and potato all have the same taste!!
To prove this pinch your nose and take a bite from each of them....
they will all taste the same.. :confused:

Thin skinned lemons are the juciest!! :Razz

Beer foam will go down by licking your finger and putting it in the foam!!

These facts have all been tried and tested by myself so I know they are true...[lol]
http://www.wimp.com/microwave/

Rheghead
01-Feb-06, 19:42
Microsoft Word 2000 doesn't recognise the word 'Internet' [lol]

Patsy
01-Feb-06, 19:44
Carrots are 89% water