PDA

View Full Version : what you dont see.....

coppertop 1958
29-Oct-08, 14:46
What you don't see out side any more kids playing game when i was younger all the street was out playing games any time off the year hot or cold ....

what you don't see ..skipping ropes rounders Marbles there was so many .....more

CANT YOU THINK OFF ANY OLD TIMERS

jings00
29-Oct-08, 15:34
levo, kick the can, elastics

Kodiak
29-Oct-08, 15:44
One thing that seems to be absent, specially during the Winter months.

This is Cyclists showing front and rear lights.

The amount of times I have had to swerve suddenly as a Cyclist seems to appear from nowhere on a dark street just beacuse they do not have any lights.

arana negra
29-Oct-08, 15:54
I am an old timer to some folks a spring chicken to others :lol:

sorry couldn't help it .... we were not allowed to play on the streets at any time far less evenings. At school we played hop scotch, marbles, skipping, rounders and with our hola hoops. At home in the garden we played in our wee house with our dolls, skipped and played 'doublies' on the wall oh had yoyos' too. We also played putting on the grass, dad made the holes and used old bean tins as the 'holes' we were allowed certain cycle routes and to picnic in certain places.

The kids here play ball on the streets, cycle and skip. At the weekends whole families go for picnics in the woods, the kids have lots of sit and ride toys plus their bikes with them.

cd1977
29-Oct-08, 15:56
A good scrap in the fields after bell time with a circular crowd egging on one or both participants.

Happy days :cool:

Jalna
29-Oct-08, 17:01
When I was younger... okay young we used to play-skipping, cowboys and indians, football, rounders, chase, roller skating and cycling. I and my friends played in the street and our gardens and in the fields round where we lived.

But there were less cars around to avoid, parents did not have the same fears for their kids, so are now stopping the kids playing outside. It is not that they don't want to play but that they are not allowed the freedom to play that us oldies had. It is not just computer games that keep them close to home, it is fearful parents.

Saying that though, I have seen kiddies outside later than 9 pm who are younger than 5-9 years old, not really a time that youngsters should be outside unsupervised.

arana negra
29-Oct-08, 17:29
When I was younger... okay young we used to play-skipping, cowboys and indians, football, rounders, chase, roller skating and cycling. I and my friends played in the street and our gardens and in the fields round where we lived.

But there were less cars around to avoid, parents did not have the same fears for their kids, so are now stopping the kids playing outside. It is not that they don't want to play but that they are not allowed the freedom to play that us oldies had. It is not just computer games that keep them close to home, it is fearful parents.

Saying that though, I have seen kiddies outside later than 9 pm who are younger than 5-9 years old, not really a time that youngsters should be outside unsupervised.

You mean you are not still doing all those things Jalna :lol:

You are right about the fearful parents I would hate to be a mum of youngsters today, finding a happy balance would not be easy. When I was living in the UK I saw kids out in dusk/dark that should have long since been indoors if not in bed.
Here life is altogether different, they are outdoors more and later. Every urbanisation has it own park, sometimes tennis court and pool for the use of the residents, lots of football played in them and playing on the swings etc. Never quite sure about the pool only being open for about 4/6 weeks in high summer though, we use ours much more often than that.

Tilter
30-Oct-08, 12:41
and played 'doublies' on the wall

I was cracking up at this because I think "doublies" must be what in Co. Durham we called "two-baller." Can't believe we called it that. There was also "three-baller" for the experts!

Coppertop, you forgot chucks and jacks for inside when it was raining out. (Jacks you played with a teensy ball and chucks you didn't.)

Dorrie
30-Oct-08, 12:47
Two other games we played as kids were:
Stilts - made with old baked bean cans and string.
The other one was with weights - I can't remember what it was now, maybe an old can as well - on the end of the string, the other end tied to our ankle and you spin it round and jump over it as it went round.

We didn't have toys when we were kids - just old baked bean cans! lol

Errogie
30-Oct-08, 12:57
British Bulldog was about the most violent game we ever played and then there were crazes, some seasonal like hula hoops, zeta gliders, and cricket which never really caught on. And of course hurlies or carties which have been covered here before.

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 13:11
Did any of you tie old bed springs onto your feet and try too jump around? More often than not we fell over as we did not have control of the springs but it was great fun trying. Finding enough string was harder than finding old bed springs! :lol:

justine
30-Oct-08, 13:15
I remember playing Kick the can, british Bulldog. jacks,marbles, double duchy skipping,thunder and lightening.
Infact anything we could do other than sitting at home doing nothing.Loved being out in the fields and roaming, and i wish ma kids could do the same, but unfortunately peoples ideas of childrens games these days, means phone the cops , "the kids next door are kicking the ball too near to my car officer".
People are not as relaxed towards the kind of games we used to play or infact many things we got up to as kids, scrumpying, conker picking, tree climbing, making rope swings down by the river, floating down the river on an inflatiable tractor tyre.Those were the days.:lol:

Torvaig
30-Oct-08, 13:18
May I add that I was brought up in the country on my uncle's farm with it's own road and to see a car venturing on to it was a novelty! We were pretty safe to play on the road and even when tractors were invented they were slow enough that there was plenty of time to clear off!

The most dangerous thing on the road was the horses! Big and beautiful and got our respect. Our cousins did have a wee shaltie that they would harness to a cart but I can't remember much about actually being in the cart. I was very timid and probably wouldn't go....:lol: Scaredy cat, that's me!

Tilter
31-Oct-08, 02:11
Do you think 50 years from now these "kids" will be saying: "oh, do you remember when we got a wii, and my old playstation was ace. And these days kids aren't even allowed to sit in their own rooms with a pc because of all the horrible stuff on there. I wish our kids could have pc's like we used to, but it's just not possible in this day and age."

What will they be saying?

jock leith
31-Oct-08, 09:52
We would get an old fish box,planks of wood,4xpram wheels,rope & nails and make up a barrow.We would take turns to get pushed down Harrow Hill from Kennedy Terrace.the winner was the one who steered it the longest distance.if you managed to get it as far as Kinnaird Street you were a Hero. Great days which our grandchildren will never experience.

Torvaig
31-Oct-08, 11:15
Do you think 50 years from now these "kids" will be saying: "oh, do you remember when we got a wii, and my old playstation was ace. And these days kids aren't even allowed to sit in their own rooms with a pc because of all the horrible stuff on there. I wish our kids could have pc's like we used to, but it's just not possible in this day and age."

What will they be saying?

Yup, they will be reminiscing just as each generation does! And what will their kids be doing? Much the same as we were because we will have used up so much of the Earth's resources that there won't be so much to make all these power hungry devices! Get writing folks and produce a book of "Games in Caithness" so that the future generations can learn it all....:D