PDA

View Full Version : School Uniform WHS

Venture
19-Jan-06, 16:21
Im sure many of you are aware of the intention by WHS to try and re-introduce school uniform. The first thing anyone thinks about when this subject is mentioned is school ties, shirts, skirts etc. The obvious reaction by the pupils being SHOCK! HORROR! No way am I wearing that! But surprise, surprise having just had the opportunity of viewing the items in mind, can I say that I was shocked at how trendy they are. There are a few different styles all in black of sweat shirts, tops and there is even a hoodie. The only indication that it is related to school uniform is a very small WHS badge which is either on the bottom of the item, the shoulder or chest. They are very good quality and range from £7.50 to £15.

I know that the majority of pupils prefer wearing branded clothes to school but they can still do this by having jeans T shirts etc of their choice worn with these items. As a parent with a pupil in first year I know that kids love the idea of getting to wear their own clothes once they reach High School (probably because they have had 7 years of wearing uniform at Primary) instead of a uniform but these items dont look like a uniform. Most of the pupils and many of the parents I am sure have dismissed the idea without having a good look at what is on offer. If you want to see them they are on show in the school and are worth a look. Hopefully senior pupils will take the lead and the younger ones will follow suit. This uniform range is definitely a better option than past examples and I think will go a long way in giving the pupils at WHS their own identity, something they dont have at the moment. What do others think?

Tymey
19-Jan-06, 16:50
I think a uniform is a good idea. I remember being at school and because I didn't wear the correct brand names I got made fun of. A uniform does away with this potential source of bullying, IMHO.

rfr10
19-Jan-06, 17:48
I've seen the uniform and I wouldn't want to wear it. I think I'd feel more confortable wearing what I want to school.

mischief
19-Jan-06, 18:21
i agree with robin there it is pretty skank but many people say it would stop bullying, i'm not sure about this i think the bullies would find other ways to bully people (pretty sad really)!:confused

landmarker
19-Jan-06, 18:29
Uniform helps to engender a common sense of purpose ans is a great leveller in the fashion stakes. If it's black it's halfway to being cool already - what's the problem?

Uniform at my old Technical High school back in the dark ages consisted of even incidental things like a particular kind of woodwork apron!

I'll never forget the blazer though, and its badge. I was proud of it, and so were many of my mates. It set us apart. I still have my old school scarve somewhere & would never dispose of it.

Venture
19-Jan-06, 19:06
What are your suggestions for a uniform then Robin?

elaine
19-Jan-06, 19:31
I think uniform is an essential ingredient of a successful school. The pupils may not like it at first but they soon get used to it. I’m sure this has all been said before but here are my reasons for why I’m pro uniform

• Uniform is a cheaper option and also means casual clothes don’t wear out so quickly.

• It helps train pupils for the real world of work where often a uniform is compulsory anyway.

• It makes truants easier to spot down town.

• It also makes intruders easier to spot within the school.

• Non-uniform days are a good reward (i.e. they pay 50p to a charity to wear casual clothes)

• Uniform takes away a major distraction that pupils have with their own (and everyone else’s) clothes.

• It can create targets for the pupils i.e. graded uniforms (different variations from junior to senior and prefects to captains) Some schools let the seniors wear black shirts instead of white while some have different ties for the seniors etc

• Uniform makes everyone equal

• It changes pupils attitude (from relaxed and sloppy to smart and hard-working – strange but true)

• Uniform creates a sense of community and pride in the school.

Correct me if I’m wrong…

landmarker
19-Jan-06, 19:33
Correct me if I’m wrong…

You're absoutely 101% right.

cuddlepop
19-Jan-06, 19:36
Ithink a uniform looks smart.The kids in the high school in Portree have always worn it.All the primarys have one to.This means that they can take off school when they come home....if you.ve a child with special needs you'll know what i mean.
When we first went on the web site to look at the school we thought the pupils looked like a bunch of scruffs.When we parked outside to observe exit at the end of the day,we thought scruffy and noisy.First impressions count and ours was.nt good.
Before we get anyone annoyed with that comment ,we would like to tell you that the weekend we visited the kids that were out were friendly and polite.With know obvious under age drinking....

rfr10
19-Jan-06, 22:02
What are your suggestions for a uniform then Robin?
Em....no uniform at all because as I said, I'd feel more confortable wearing what I want. I don't like the idea of being "smartly dressed" not saying of course that I'd go about looking like a total mess. Any clothes is better than nothing at all isn't it? Pupils in primary school don't mind wearing uniform but I feel as you get older, you just don't want to.

caithpal
19-Jan-06, 22:24
I'm all for the uniform. Whenever I'm unlucky enough to drive past Thurso high at home time it's more of a fashion show than a bunch of kids going home. I was sent home for not wearing my school tie on 1 occasion and that was not that long ago. It would reduce bullying as I know of friends who have kids at school who get grief for not wearing Bench, Quicksilver, Roxy, etc etc. It would also smarten them up a bit which can't be bad.

landmarker
19-Jan-06, 22:29
..... who get grief for not wearing Bench, Quicksilver, Roxy, etc etc......

It's a different world lol.
I've never heard of any of these.
I'm quite pleased actually.

~~Tides~~
20-Jan-06, 00:03
The 'affordable' options the school has come up with are awful in my opinion. Firstly, what is the point in having casual school uniform when a uniform is supposed to be smart. The things are bland and look to be quite poor quality. Nobody I know my age, would wear them and the less privellaged pupils with less money (who they are aimed at as affordable option to designer clothes) would not wear them because nobody else would be wearing them, and if they did they would be ripped to shreds because it would be obvoius that they were the less priveleged pupils, if that makes sence. I think the whole exercise has been a complete waste of time, and being a teenager myself and a pupil myself am in quite a good place to comment on this.

~~Tides~~
20-Jan-06, 00:05
BTW, I would happily wear Shirt, Tie, Blazer, that would look cool. Old Skool even, which would be quite appropriate.

connieb19
20-Jan-06, 00:09
BTW, I would happily wear Shirt, Tie, Blazer, that would look cool. Old Skool even, which would be quite appropriate.What does BTW mean.. sorry to be thick!! :D

DW
20-Jan-06, 00:57
What does BTW mean.. sorry to be thick!! :D
By The Way

We had this discussion in another thread a few days ago. And I still have the same question -
"How do you enforce uniform?"
BTW I am NOT against it.

grantyg
20-Jan-06, 11:10
Coming from a school with a strong uniform no one in my school ever had a problem wearing it.

We had 3 main high school uniforms one for first year then a middle school uniform and then a prefect uniform.
We also had a county colours uniform which instead of the school badge on the blazer we wore the county crest and had a badge for what disciplne we had been awarded it in - this was a huge privilige to wear.

The issues Elaine brought up are excellent - the argument back about it is okay for primary kids but when you get older you don`t want to wear it!???

The kids I teach don`t mind wearing a blazer or uniform - I think the fact busted used to wear them helped.

The other point is approrpriate uniform - School Uniform doesn`t have to mean Blazers and ties I have seen schools in America that wear combats and hoodies with school logo`s and in school colours.
just my 2p worth

squidge
20-Jan-06, 12:41
The high school the boy attends has a uniform. Black sweatshirt with white black or purple(???) t shirt, shirt or polo shirt and black trousers.

Last september we got a letter saying that it was being more rigorously enforced and i duly went out and bought new stuff for the boy. By the end of week one he was back in his ordinary clothes. When i queried this he said that none of his friends are wearing it. this led to quite a few morning rows which I HATE - makes mornings so much more stressful. After a few days i got fed up of this and i phoned the school. I spoke to the guidance teacher and she gave me the party line which was "we are promoting the uniform and would like the supoport of the parents" I explained to her what was happening and that she had my support but i would actually like the support of the school because until and unless they start punishing pupils for NOT wering the uniform i was on a hiding to nothing. I said i was quite happy having a row with my boy EVERY day as long as other pupils were being disciplined for not wearing the uniform. if that wasnt going to happen then i was not going to argue with him every day for nothing.

She said that she would speak to the rector and i could be assured that they were going to be doing something about it. Nothing happened for about six weeks and then my boy came home and said he would be wearing his uniform from now on as they had started sending people home for not wearing it and i have had no problems since.

the point of this rather longer than intended post :eyes is that schools need the support of parents to introduce school uniform but parents also need the support of the schools. Parents are often blamed for no enforcing dress codes but the school needs to be truly committed to this and prepared to take the action necessary to make it happen.

pops
20-Jan-06, 14:43
i think if the school is to havea uniform it must be for everyone not optional because then no one will wear it if it is optional! i personally would have quite liked a school uniform at school(im not long out of school). it would mean i could keep my clothes for after school and the weekends and i wouldnt have to think about what i was going to wear in the morning that would have saved a huge hassle! i think it will be difficult to get all children to wear school uniform all the other schools that do have school uniform will have had them for ages so children now going to the high school have no problem with wearing it because they never had the option of wearing their own clothes.

oh and i hope that is in better english for the person that bad repped me for saying my last post was not in proper english and they couldnt understand it!

DW
20-Jan-06, 17:01
the point of this rather longer than intended post :eyes is that schools need the support of parents to introduce school uniform but parents also need the support of the schools. Parents are often blamed for no enforcing dress codes but the school needs to be truly committed to this and prepared to take the action necessary to make it happen.

Excellent, partnership just what's needed.

mischief
20-Jan-06, 19:25
i can understand why kids don't want to wear a school uniform it will be a lot cheaper for parents and equalise everyone but a bully wont stop bullying just 'cos of what clothes they wear! they will just start bullying people because they have a different hair colour or something. best idea throw the bullies out!!!

rfr10
21-Jan-06, 00:57
The teachers are too soft to do that though.;)

mischief
21-Jan-06, 13:52
that is true the kids at wick who are bad get rewarded for being good for 10 minutes but the kids who are good the whole time don't get anything.

garycs
21-Jan-06, 18:28
I agree in principal with uniform, but it has to be compulsory with the penalties for not complying on a par with other rule breaking. Whether or not kids feel comfortable wearing something other than their usual attire isn't an issue; the idea of school is to instill knowledge and discipline in preparation for the real world.

that is true the kids at wick who are bad get rewarded for being good for 10 minutes but the kids who are good the whole time don't get anything.

The same thing happens at my daughters primary school, the disruptive kids get achievement certificates and other rewards for just a single day of good behaviour; our little 'un hasn't been told off once at school but has never been rewarded.

scrapydoo
22-Jan-06, 15:11
It was the same when i was at the high school the one that where bad would get a praise slip if they worked for five mins and us good kids who work hard everyday would get nothing .

_Ju_
22-Jan-06, 16:32
By The Way

We had this discussion in another thread a few days ago. And I still have the same question -
"How do you enforce uniform?"
BTW I am NOT against it.

No Uniform, you get sent home to fetch it and parents are notifyed.

DW
22-Jan-06, 16:41
No Uniform, you get sent home to fetch it and parents are notifyed.
So you send them home, tell their parents. What happens when they come back the next day just the same.

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 19:52
You can't force someone to wear something they don't want to. Thats just like meeting a stranger on the street and them saying to you "Go home and change your clothes right now, you should be wearing the same as me because my clothes are smart and yours aren't." and what's the difference between down the street and at the school? People can still get bullied down the street because of what they wear. Does this mean that if the pupils wear school uniform then the staff have to aswell? Don't think so because the staff are more important than us and they can do whatever they want.

_Ju_
22-Jan-06, 19:57
So you send them home, tell their parents. What happens when they come back the next day just the same.

Send them home and notify parents..... you do it untill the child comes to school in uniform. Just like not smoking in a pub, if there are no exceptions, everyone will do it. Where I am from, the student will also get a fault maked on his record, everytime he did not bring his uniform. These accumulate and if they have more than a certain ammount they fail the school year and are held back.

_Ju_
22-Jan-06, 20:03
You can't force someone to wear something they don't want to. Thats just like meeting a stranger on the street and them saying to you "Go home and change your clothes right now, you should be wearing the same as me because my clothes are smart and yours aren't." and what's the difference between down the street and at the school? People can still get bullied down the street because of what they wear. Does this mean that if the pupils wear school uniform then the staff have to aswell? Don't think so because the staff are more important than us and they can do whatever they want.

If you want to work as a police man you have to wear a uniform. If you are a nurse/doctor you wear auniform when in work. If you work in a food factory you wear a uniform. If you work in a bank, ditto. Even if you decide what you want to wear, in most jobs you will have a dress code that you adhere to: the executive or politician in his suit might not wear the same tie as everyone else, but he does wear a tie. If you want to head of into the ridiculous, even the exotic dancer has a kind off dress code. For all the reasons mentioned before, I think that uniforms are a good idea. Even if you chaff at the bit at the thought of wearing a uniform, you will be wearing one, one way or another, soon.

DW
22-Jan-06, 20:08
Does this mean that if the pupils wear school uniform then the staff have to aswell? Don't think so because the staff are more important than us and they can do whatever they want.

You are making a fundamental error here that many people, including Senior Management, make i.e. that the staff are just 'older' pupils.
They are not, they are highly qualified and experienced professionals. So please don't denigrate your argument with statements like that.
Staff are not more important than pupils, staff are there to do the best they can for the pupils.

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 20:10
But- Teachers should also wear a uniform to set a good example for the pupils- correct?

_Ju_
22-Jan-06, 20:12
But- Teachers should also wear a uniform to set a good example for the pupils- correct?

They do have a dress code and in some schools have a uniform. You are missing the point I was trying to make, anyway.

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 20:13
If you want to work as a police man you have to wear a uniform. If you are a nurse/doctor you wear auniform when in work. If you work in a food factory you wear a uniform. If you work in a bank, ditto. Even if you decide what you want to wear, in most jobs you will have a dress code that you adhere to: the executive or politician in his suit might not wear the same tie as everyone else, but he does wear a tie. If you want to head of into the ridiculous, even the exotic dancer has a kind off dress code. For all the reasons mentioned before, I think that uniforms are a good idea. Even if you chaff at the bit at the thought of wearing a uniform, you will be wearing one, one way or another, soon.

When you are at this age, you don't want to wear a uniform. It's different when you are older and have a job.

DW
22-Jan-06, 20:19
Send them home and notify parents..... you do it untill the child comes to school in uniform. Just like not smoking in a pub, if there are no exceptions, everyone will do it. Where I am from, the student will also get a fault maked on his record, everytime he did not bring his uniform. These accumulate and if they have more than a certain ammount they fail the school year and are held back.

Nope, doesn't work like that. In Scotland, Parents have a duty under the 1980 Act to provide efficient education suited to their child’s age, aptitude and ability, and the State (local authority) has a duty to provide that education.
Therefore, Mr Bloggs dutifully delivers his un-uniformed son or daughter to the school everyday, the school sends them home. Mr Bloggs then goes to a lawyer who, following due process and Human Rights Law, ends up getting the local authority to pay for private, one to one, education at a cost of tens of thousands of pounds every year.
And the sense of that is????????????? :confused

DW
22-Jan-06, 20:22

And policemen should always be nice to everyone and all bankers are completely honest.
And of course doctors should not drink or smoke
and priests shouldn't get up to what some priests have got up to in the past.
And football players should be righteous upstanding characters.

Come on Robin, engage your brain.

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 20:30
I said, they SHOULD, like policemen SHOULD be nice and bankers SHOULD be honest, etc..

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 20:36
Oh and by the way, I don't think you will see all the bullies wearing the uniform so it is an advantage for them because they will make fun of others FOR wearing their uniform

DW
22-Jan-06, 20:37
One of the main tenets of education should be that pupils are taught to think for themselves.
If they are surrounded by teachers all dressed the same, how can they develop a wide-ranging sartorial vocabluary? :lol: :lol:

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 20:44
So what's the difference between us being surrounded by teachers all dressed the same and pupils all dressed the same. Oh and, so does this mean that if we get uniform to wear that all the other clothes we have will be a waste of money because we will only be wearing it for the week end and then School uniform for the other 5 days of the week. No 2 pupils will want to look the same either.

DW
22-Jan-06, 20:56
So what's the difference between us being surrounded by teachers all dressed the same and pupils all dressed the same. Oh and, so does this mean that if we get uniform to wear that all the other clothes we have will be a waste of money because we will only be wearing it for the week end and then School uniform for the other 5 days of the week. No 2 pupils will want to look the same either.

If you check back through the thread you will see that I have been completely ambivilant about uniform. At no time have I given it my unreserved support.
I attended a school that was strict uniform; I then went on to a branch of further education that had followed a rigid dress code for many years. I was one of a group of students who were instrumental in having this tradition overturned, so I have experience of both sides of the argument.

Drutt
22-Jan-06, 21:00
Oh and, so does this mean that if we get uniform to wear that all the other clothes we have will be a waste of money because we will only be wearing it for the week end and then School uniform for the other 5 days of the week. For an MSYP, you display a bizarre lack of logic. ;) :grin:

If you're wearing a uniform for 5 days a week, you will only need sufficient non-uniform clothes for 2 days per week. Providing these will cost your parents less money than providing you with non-uniform clothing for 7 days a week, especially if you have a taste for more expensive clothing. So no, it wouldn't be a waste of money.

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 21:03
But I already have lots of clothes, so it will be a waste of money having bought them if I'm only going to be wearing them for 2 days a week. Im not saying any more now but, I think you'll see that a majority of the pupils will agree with me and I bet it is all adults who are FOR the uniform- oh and I have lots of good reputations given to me through this topic

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 21:08
I really dont see what the big problem with school uniform is.... it surley wouldnt be that hard to implement. Further down south it is compulsory to wear it. I personally think that it would stop alot of bullying, I can remember from when i was at school you would hear the whispers 'oh my god look at what she is wearing, did she get dressed in the dark this morning?' there is some arguments on here that the bullying will be directed somewhere else i.e. haircolour, this happens anyway, regardless of what you are wearing. You are always going to get people who are putting others down, not that we should take it!! Something should be done, but the question is what...? changing to school uniforms wont stop it, but its a start!

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 21:11
I really dont see what the big problem with school uniform is.... it surley wouldnt be that hard to implement. Further down south it is compulsory to wear it. I personally think that it would stop alot of bullying, I can remember from when i was at school you would hear the whispers 'oh my god look at what she is wearing, did she get dressed in the dark this morning?' there is some arguments on here that the bullying will be directed somewhere else i.e. haircolour, this happens anyway, regardless of what you are wearing. You are always going to get people who are putting others down, not that we should take it!! Something should be done, but the question is what...? changing to school uniforms wont stop it, but its a start!
I know I said I wasn't going to say any more but that's a very good post but it still doesn't make me want to wear uniform.

spiggie
22-Jan-06, 21:15
But I already have lots of clothes, so it will be a waste of money having bought them if I'm only going to be wearing them for 2 days a week. Im not saying any more now but, I think you'll see that a majority of the pupils will agree with me and I bet it is all adults who are FOR the uniform- oh and I have lots of good reputations given to me through this topic

well i am an adult, but probably not that much older than you, and i am FOR school uniform :) you say about the waste of the clothes that you already have but surley you could change into them when you come home from school? that way they wouldnt be wasted, as you put it? :)

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 21:19
well i am an adult, but probably not that much older than you, and i am FOR school uniform :) you say about the waste of the clothes that you already have but surley you could change into them when you come home from school? that way they wouldnt be wasted, as you put it? :)
No, I just wouldn't wear the uniform in the first place and I don't think uniform will be made compulsory- well not in WHS anyway. Is there any point in changing your clothes when you get home. The HighSchool has a dress code- this is good enough and uniform shouldn't be needed. If there are people sad enough to make fun of what others wear, they should just be sent home.

elaine
22-Jan-06, 21:25
At the end of the day, there are many more good reasons for having it than not. Unfortunately, not wanting to look the same as everyone else isn't really a valid argument - you'd be surprised how pupils individualise themselves anyway even in uniform! (hair, make-up, nails, shoes, skirts, tights, jewelry, perfume - it's endless) Believe me, none of them look the same but they do all look like they are part of the school community together.

And yes, it doesn't stop bullies but it certainly removes some potential ammunition for them and that can't be bad can it? As for the casual clothes being a waste of money - sorry, I don't agree, it just means they last longer.

There will always be pupils against the idea for one reason or another but hopefully the school doesn't have the same blinkers on and can push it through for the good of everyone!

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 21:31
You'll be lucky if you get 10 people who are HAPPY to wear uniform. There might be a few that won't mind wearing it. I know, why don't they ask the pupils to design the uniform, therefor everyone will be happy. Surley thats better than just designing something that people don't like.

nicnak
22-Jan-06, 21:49
Well as a mum I have to agree that a school uniform is sensible for all your reasons Elaine, I think what these kids are forgetting is that you can still personalise your uniform to make it your own to a certain degree! Also I have to add when you see the kids coming out of the high school at lunch time and home time the majority look like a right load of raggamuffins and far from smart!

rfr10
22-Jan-06, 21:54
Who actually designs the uniforms?

nicnak
22-Jan-06, 22:06
I would ask Mr Manson tommorow if I were you Robin he may be able to help.

JAWS
22-Jan-06, 23:00
Somebody will have to help me out here, somewhere along the line Schools seem to have changed without me noticing.
At what point did school change from a place of education into a fashion parade?
When did the idea of attending school become just somewhere else to go to impress your mates?
Perhaps I am forgetting what attending school is really about.

No wonder the Country is going down hill. Why do people bother asking why? The answer is obvious for all to see.
Children now are now allowed to avoid being set a challenge. They are totally fearful and devoid of a sense of adventure!

“We don’t want School Uniform, it will make us all look the same!”
What a wimpish attitude. School Uniform was a challenge. It was worn at the school I went to but I resent being told we all looked alike. The school cap! I I still have mine, fits me just the same as the last few years at school. It sits just like a skull cap on the back of my head and looks absolutely ridiculous. But nobody could say I wasn’t wearing one. Before it got to that state it was a question of how long could you get away without wearing it and not get caught. In the last year it was "optional" if you wore it or not. Translation, "to be worn at every possible opportunity."
And no, I’m not suggesting school caps should be worn again at Secondary School.

Individualising School Uniform to see how far you can push things and get away with it is half the fun.
You only have to “all look alike” if you let that happen.

One thing I do agree needs doing is to bring it to a more Modern Style.
School Blazers?
Sorry, they should have gone the same time Cricket stopped having different pavilion doors for the Amateur Gentlemen and the disgustingly inferior paid Professional Players to go out onto the pitch. (Now that really was Class Distinction!).

PhilR
23-Jan-06, 11:17
I agree Squidge.
Anyone remember WHS around 1978-ish when the new Rector tried to introduce uniform, but couldn't discipline his own sons to wear it? Fell flat on its face which annoyed those parents who had spent the money. There were 3 of us in my family there at the same time!

Phil

north_skye
23-Jan-06, 13:44
110 % correct .

WHS & it's pupils should be trying to create a school to be proud of and get out of the mess that it is currently in. Uniform is the first step for sure , hopefully the kids will start to get a sense of pride, maybe discipline will follow .

north_skye
23-Jan-06, 14:06
if you are at school ?

It's high time you remembered your are there to learn , gain an education and then hopefully have a happy and successful life. Not whinge like a spoilt child about wearing clothes !! this is the problem with High school kids , think they know it all, yet not one of them has got an ounce of worldy sense about them , well sorry apart from the ones that will wear the uniform without complaining and come out at the end educated as they have noticed there is a bigger picture to life, that not getting to wear your favourite T-shirt...

squidge
23-Jan-06, 14:12
if you are at school ?

Not whinge like a spoilt child about wearing clothes !! this is the problem with High school kids , think they know it all, yet not one of them has got an ounce of worldy sense about them , well sorry apart from the ones that will wear the uniform without complaining and come out at the end educated as they have noticed there is a bigger picture to life, that not getting to wear your favourite T-shirt...

[lol] Thats what teenagers do though - that and grunt!!!! There is no good thinking they are going to stop whinging and fall in love with school - its not gonna happen! They are teenagers!

JAWS
23-Jan-06, 16:30
[lol] Thats what teenagers do though - that and grunt!!!! There is no good thinking they are going to stop whinging and fall in love with school - its not gonna happen! They are teenagers!
squidge, you've given me the perfect answer, I don't know how I missed it for so long!

Every parent and person in authority should complain bitterly that wearing School Uniform is the most shocking and terrible thing any teenager could ever do it their life.
The very thought of it is the most repulsive idea that any adult could be faced with.

Bingo - Problem Solved.
Teenagers love to think that they are the first generation ever to invent being rebellious, encourage them in their mistaken beliefs.

Force Children to have Freedom of Expression in Clothing!
I demand children never be allowed to wear School Uniform, the very idea is both repulsive and repugnant. Stop it NOW!

rfr10
23-Jan-06, 18:45
if you are at school ?

It's high time you remembered your are there to learn , gain an education and then hopefully have a happy and successful life. Not whinge like a spoilt child about wearing clothes !! this is the problem with High school kids , think they know it all, yet not one of them has got an ounce of worldy sense about them , well sorry apart from the ones that will wear the uniform without complaining and come out at the end educated as they have noticed there is a bigger picture to life, that not getting to wear your favourite T-shirt...
Eh... exactly, we are there to learn and get an education, not to be given fasion advice.

rfr10
23-Jan-06, 18:47
Woohoo, someone at last figured out why im complaining- because I'm a teenager- we don't want uniform and nothing will change that. Oh and how many on you are still at school? None, I bet.

elaine
23-Jan-06, 19:52
Woohoo, someone at last figured out why im complaining- because I'm a teenager- we don't want uniform and nothing will change that. Oh and how many on you are still at school? None, I bet.

Some pupils will always manage to miss the entire point somehow. That is why the adults have to take charge and do the right thing, then the pupils will benefit from it anyway (even if it is against their will!). You just can't have a decent debate with the argument "We don't want it and we won't wear it, so there!" brick and wall spring to mind!

To Robin, I work in a school that wears uniform and am also an ex-pupil of Wick High so have seen it from both angles.

As for:
"We don't like it" Boo hoo, next!
"We won't wear it" Oh yeah you will when you keep getting punished.
"We don't want it" Hello! you don't want homework or detention either but hey, that's school - live with it.

ok, ok I've had a bad day and have had whiney kids up to here (but at least they were smartly dressed whiney kids!) tee hee

garycs
23-Jan-06, 19:53

Probably not many of us are still at school, but even at the age of 37 (that's really old!) I have a vague recollection of school in a Lancashire mining town; hated every minute of it, teachers were all idiots, lessons were a waste of my time, bullying and theft was a constant fear for most pupils, and what was the point of uniform?

By the time I was 18, teachers became important sources of knowledge, lessons were too short, bullies were pathetic individuals to be pitied, and uniform let you keep your favourite clothes clean for trying to get into Reubens nightclub on a Friday night!

rfr10
23-Jan-06, 20:47
SO tell me something, we go to school for an education, correct? So in what way does uniform affect our education, thats what I can't quite understand.

grantyg
23-Jan-06, 20:51
SO tell me something, we go to school for an education, correct? So in what way does uniform affect our education, thats what I can't quite understand.

Gor blimey go and read this thread - from the top!
oh and tuck your shirt in!

rfr10
23-Jan-06, 20:54
Yep, done that... so..eh, yeah, now wat? OK, people think that it is a good idea because it will stop bullying, well guess what- not in Wick High School it wont. -- This will make you happy, I'm not going to post any more messages on this thread now, so bye and I am very sorry if I am very irritating ;-) Im not really like that in reality- well I hope not. cyas all

DW
23-Jan-06, 21:14
I suspect that many people over 25 in this thread think uniform is a good idea because they had to wear it.
It is part of 'the good old days' syndrome; maybe some of our well travelled readers can inform us about the incidence of uniform in other countries and the beneficial/detrimental effect it has on their yoof.
I know that the school I taught at in Denmark certainly didn't have one and if I recall correctly French schools don't entertain it.
But then again it is frequently used as some kind of status symbol for the fee-paying private schools so that they can look down their noses at the poorly dressed schemies. I know it saved my mother money, important for a one parent family council hoose dweller.

As I have already said, I attended a strict uniform school; I am not convinced what it did and the only argument that may hold water is the financial one.

I am beginning to embrace the view that we should encourage non-comformity, innovation, free thinking, and self expression amongst our young folk. Not make them into clones.
Let's find more imaginitive ways to make Wick High School the place you lot think a uniform will make it into.
BTW, I am over 50!!!!! :lol:

LENSMAN
23-Jan-06, 21:21
Anyone watch Rockschool?
Maybe they should introduce that type!!!!!

elaine
23-Jan-06, 21:33
Yep, done that... so..eh, yeah, now wat? OK, people think that it is a good idea because it will stop bullying, well guess what- not in Wick High School it wont.

Are you being serious? Is that really the only reason you have picked up from this? Lots of people have replied to this thread giving many other valid reasons - I get the feeling you are cherry-picking them to find ones that you can disagree with easily.
Forget the bullying argument - it is incidental and not the main reason for having a uniform. It is one of many good reasons which, when combined help to create a better working environment for the pupils and staff. Surely this would contribute to an improved education?
Yes, it will not solve all the problems but you've got to start somewhere.

btw http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=519&id=2067772005

(especially the bit where their results improved - ahum....)

DW
23-Jan-06, 21:39
SNIP Surely this would contribute to an improved education?
Yes, it will not solve all the problems but you've got to start somewhere.

btw http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=519&id=2067772005

(especially the bit where their results improved - ahum....)

"There has also been an increase in resources and staff.

It has led to the number of pupils gaining five or more Standard grades at level four or above jumping from a third to almost half in one year.

Only 33 per cent got five or more in 2004, compared with 46 per cent this year.

Three per cent of students gained Highers in 2005, compared to none at all in previous years.

A fifth-year pupil also became the school's first pupil to get five Highers in one sitting this year."

However, is this bit above just opinion because I am not seeing any sign of decent research in support of it?

elaine
23-Jan-06, 21:56
Are these not quotes from the head teacher of Castlebrae High School in Edinburgh?

nicnak
23-Jan-06, 21:59
Robin you know me and I'm sure you would admit that I'm not a run of the mill parent but honestly you are talking complete rubbish here, listen you honestly would really, really love wearing a school uniform you just cant admit it can you!!!

DW
23-Jan-06, 22:08
Are these not quotes from the head teacher of Castlebrae High School in Edinburgh?

But there is no sound indication about what caused the changes, only opinion.

Now, clearly, if a heidy makes a big change i.e. uniform he might be of the opinion that it is responsible for other changes. However, without research it doesnae really stand up, maybe these bairns ate a much better diet, maybe they drank more water, maybe they were just a brighter year group.

Without research e.g. http://www.bctf.ca/info/Research/SchoolUniforms.html
it is impossible to draw serious conclusions that will stand up to rigorous examination.

DW
23-Jan-06, 22:10
Robin you know me and I'm sure you would admit that I'm not a run of the mill parent but honestly you are talking complete rubbish here, listen you honestly would really, really love wearing a school uniform you just cant admit it can you!!!

Now Robin, how can you not just want to really really really really really really really really really really really really really pull on those cool grey 'slacks' and that cool black polyester top and those cool black slip-on shoes?

DW
23-Jan-06, 22:16
Some interesting research results here also
http://eric.ed.gov:80/ERICWebPortal/Home.portal?_nfpb=true&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=school+uniform&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=kw&_pageLabel=ERICSearchResult&newSearch=true&rnd=1138050295067&searchtype=keyword

elaine
23-Jan-06, 22:17
That's fair enough - the idea may not be backed up by research but I have seen it with my own eyes if that counts! I was in a school a few years back which had sweatshirts as a uniform and then they had a huge drive to change to shirts, ties and blazers. The difference in the attitude of the kids was astonishing.

DW
23-Jan-06, 22:24
That's fair enough - the idea may not be backed up by research but I have seen it with my own eyes if that counts! I was in a school a few years back which had sweatshirts as a uniform and then they had a huge drive to change to shirts, ties and blazers. The difference in the attitude of the kids was astonishing.

Is it not possible that a large part of the impact was that the school had been slumping and when the heidy introduced uniform it gave a real boost to everyone including the staff? They all felt that something was happening and were unconsciously re-energised.
Very often these changes coincide with the arrival of a new boss who brings a 'new broom' feeling.
Let's not overestimate the impact of a couple of Marks n sparks shirts eh?

elaine
23-Jan-06, 22:31
Is it not possible that a large part of the impact was that the school had been slumping and when the heidy introduced uniform it gave a real boost to everyone including the staff? They all felt that something was happening and were unconsciously re-energised.
Very often these changes coincide with the arrival of a new boss who brings a 'new broom' feeling.
Let's not overestimate the impact of a couple of Marks n sparks shirts eh?

Sorry, but wow, that's a depressing attitude.

rfr10
23-Jan-06, 22:35

Well most of the time I talk a load of rubbish LOL.

Venture
23-Jan-06, 23:11
Poor Robin you seem to have a thing with clothes on this forum. First we had the KILT saga and now its the school uniform.

_Ju_
23-Jan-06, 23:25

DISCIPLINE ( it is a word I am sure you have heard but never realy thought about, Robin. It is what will make the diference between succeeding or not in your life)

grantyg
23-Jan-06, 23:36
As I said before as long as the uniform is approrpriate yes it could be designed by a pupil.

JAWS
24-Jan-06, 00:58
Robin, here's a little site with some information you might find rather shocking but very true and full of useful advice.
The information comes from some old fuddy duddy called Bill Gates, you may have heard of him.

Take a look at:- homepages.feis.herts.ac.uk/~bsc-cs/BillGates.pdf

Sit down before you read it as it can cause quite a shock!

DrSzin
24-Jan-06, 16:33
"There has also been an increase in resources and staff.

It has led to the number of pupils gaining five or more Standard grades at level four or above jumping from a third to almost half in one year.

Only 33 per cent got five or more in 2004, compared with 46 per cent this year.

Three per cent of students gained Highers in 2005, compared to none at all in previous years.

A fifth-year pupil also became the school's first pupil to get five Highers in one sitting this year."

However, is this bit above just opinion because I am not seeing any sign of decent research in support of it?Castlebrae Community High School serves one of the most "deprived" areas in Edinburgh. It was a big event not long ago when a few pupils passed a few Highers. For many years not a single pupil had passed a single Higher. A good friend taught there for years, so I've heard what the place used to be like. The school does indeed seem to be improving. :)

In fact, the whole area has been smartened up in recent years -- an enormous amount of old housing has been demolished, and blocks of tatty unpleasant-looking flats have been replaced by individual houses. Much of the rest has been refurbished, and a lot of "community green wasteland" has been replaced by individual gardens. Compared with 5(ish) years ago, the area is almost unrecognisable. A huge amount of money must have been spent in order to accomplish this transformation.

I am in no position to judge whether the pupils' desire to wear school uniform is a cause or a consequence of better examination performance, or how the transformation of the surrounding area has contributed. I'm just happy to see improvements in the area and in the school, and it appears to have been money well spent -- well, I hope it was!

Having read that article, I now know that the high school my kids will go to (not Castlebrae) has changed its uniform policy recently. Thanks for the link elaine. :)

DW
24-Jan-06, 16:59
SNIP

In fact, the whole area has been smartened up in recent years -- an enormous amount of old housing has been demolished, and blocks of tatty unpleasant-looking flats have been replaced by individual houses. Much of the rest has been refurbished, and a lot of "community green wasteland" has been replaced by individual gardens. Compared with 5(ish) years ago, the area is almost unrecognisable. A huge amount of money must have been spent in order to accomplish this transformation.

Well that more or less supports my point doesn't it?

If the same thing happened in Wick, I bet there would be some improvement in WHS. :grin:

nicnak
24-Jan-06, 19:08
Sorry Ju I partially dont agree with you there I know Robin and most certainly say he knows exactly what discipline is and where it gets you.