PDA

View Full Version : Intolerance?

gleeber
28-Oct-08, 20:24
Muslim GP faces sack over homophobic letter

A former head of the Islamic Medical Association sent a homophobic letter to a magazine for GPs, saying gay people needed the "stick of law to put them on the right path", the General Medical Council heard today.

Dr Muhammad Siddiq was working as a GP at the Walsall Teaching Primary Care Trust when he wrote the letter to Pulse in July last year.
A GMC fitness to practise panel, in Manchester, heard Dr Siddiq's letter read: "There is punishment and fine if you throw rubbish or filth on the streets, the gays are worse than the ordinary careless citizen, they are causing the spread of illness and they are the root cause of many sexually-transmitted diseases.
"They need neither sympathy nor help, what they need is the stick of law to put them on the right path."
The panel heard that when first questioned about the letter, Dr Siddiq said he had written it because of intense stress, but later claimed the letter had been a "hoax" written by his son without his knowledge.
Bernadette Baxter, prosecuting, said Dr Siddiq wrote to Mr P Griffin, associate director of primary care commissioning at Walsall PCT, to explain the letter after it was published in July last year.
In this letter, he apologised unreservedly and said he had written it because of stress due to unrelated proceedings between himself and the GMC.
He wrote: "I categorically and unreservedly apologise and retract the letter, and apologise for any hurt or offence that may have been caused to anybody reading the letter.
"I have practised as a GP for over 30 years, and I have never discriminated against any patient on any grounds.
"I have never, and never would, refuse treatment to any patient due to their sexual orientation.
"I just cannot understand how or why I could have said the things I said in my letter."
But a few days later, Dr Siddiq's solicitors contacted the PCT to say the letter had been a "misunderstanding", and an apology was subsequently printed in Pulse, in which Dr Siddiq's son took responsibility for the letter.
In the letter from his solicitors, Dr Siddiq said: "I have discovered that the whole situation has arisen due to a hoax by my son.
"I asked my son to prepare a letter for me in relation to an article dated June 28 and say that I agreed that gay patients were not being afforded the care they needed."
He said his son drafted the letter for him, but wrote a "spoof version" which he signed and sent to the magazine without reading.
Miss Baxter told the panel: "The GMC's case is that when Dr Siddiq realised that his letter retracting his statement was not going to do the trick and bring an end to the matter, he strayed from the truth and set out a new explanation."

I don't know how to link something from a post so I include the whole story from todays Independant.
Is this guy being homophobic or is he right in his assessment of homsexuals?

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 20:46
Right or wrong...it's his opinion, probably guided by his faith.
I think litter louts have more impact on me than your average predatory puff, but then I don't go out much after dark and avoid public lavs & homosexual drinking dens.

I'm all for tolerance toward homos - but not litter louts. The former should keep their sexuality a private matter and spare the rest of us from its flaunting.

If , in his professional capacity he gives the overtly & openly homosexual a second class service he should be confined to private practice where he can be as selective as he likes.

Is he 'homophobic' ? ....I see no signs of irrational fear here, just personal dislike...and the term is badly mis-used, and over stated.

This is a classic case of cultures colliding , which is something I have long warned against.

Kenn
28-Oct-08, 21:37
To me the content of the letter is the lesser part of the problem in this case.
If a highly experienced GP did not check, as he claims, the letter that he signed, then surely he is guilty of ,in my opinion ,a severe lapse of professional standards.
If however the story of his son exchanging the letter for a spoof one is to be believed, then
it beggars the question as to why he would allow him to write it in the first place.
If as his name would suggest he is a member of The Islamic Faith, then I would be very concerned that he is bringing his religion into his professional life which is intolerable.

Oddquine
29-Oct-08, 00:34
To me the content of the letter is the lesser part of the problem in this case.
If a highly experienced GP did not check, as he claims, the letter that he signed, then surely he is guilty of ,in my opinion ,a severe lapse of professional standards.
If however the story of his son exchanging the letter for a spoof one is to be believed, then
it beggars the question as to why he would allow him to write it in the first place.
If as his name would suggest he is a member of The Islamic Faith, then I would be very concerned that he is bringing his religion into his professional life which is in tolerable.

Is it any more intolerable than Catholic doctors/nurses refusing to have anything to do with abortions?

Out there there are a lot of people in professions who should be able to separate their religion/beliefs from their work in order to give the people who pay them the requisite level of service.

I'm afraid that if you allow people, as we do, to "go with their consciences" we are likely to have even more opt-outs......even poorer levels of services....but I'll bet not a reduction in the costs of those services. :roll:

Metalattakk
29-Oct-08, 02:17
I'm all for tolerance toward homos...[/snip]

That's like 'Military Intelligence'. For shame.

hotrod4
29-Oct-08, 07:05
Its his opinion (if it is) and he's entitled to it.
Whats made matters worse is the "to-ing and fro-ing" of the I am sorry/It wasnt me/yes it was/no it was my son/I was stressed.
If he wants to come out with these strong statements then he should be man enough to stand by them or at the very least if it wasnt him take out his "big stick" and give his son a whack with it!

What he has said isnt as bad as what some muslim hate preachers come out with and they still get their giros and get to live here.

Why do the press feel the need to mention how he was a muslim?
So if i was qouted it would be "White British protestant Hotrod said............" It beasr no relevance to the story.

Sometimes I feel the media like to light the touchpaper knowing full well how some will react.

JoeSoap
29-Oct-08, 12:47
Right or wrong...it's his opinion

Its his opinion (if it is) and he's entitled to it.
He’s entitled to his opinion, yes… but the GMC are, in my opinion, quite right to take a long, hard look at what implications that opinion has on his ability to perform his job.

The letter reads:

the gays […] are causing the spread of illness and they are the root cause of many sexually-transmitted diseases.

They need neither sympathy nor help

To my mind, this shows that this man, as a doctor, doesn’t understand STDs.

Why do the press feel the need to mention how he was a muslim?
So if i was qouted it would be "White British protestant Hotrod said............" It beasr no relevance to the story.

Sometimes I feel the media like to light the touchpaper knowing full well how some will react.
I quite agree.

BTW - the article is here (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/muslim-gp-faces-sack-over-homophobic-letter-975485.html)

Angel
29-Oct-08, 23:34
What is a "predatory puff" percy... or a homo... are you homophobic?

Angel

hotrod4
30-Oct-08, 07:56

Angel

A "predatory puff" is the one at the bottom of the bag of puffs who is the boss and has beaten the rest of the puffs into submission! ;)

percy toboggan
30-Oct-08, 19:45

Angel

...probably...if the cap fits etc....I'll probably be invited to don it sometime soon.

I sense mischief in your questions....so No! , I'm as likely not 'homophobic' to be honest....I just don't like 'homos' much . It was illegal anyway, when I worra Lad & I try to avoid 'em but say 'live and let live' if they're prepared to follow their chosen path quietly, responsibly and without a fuss.
I'm definitely fussophobic...
...and hope one does not follow my candour on this subject, and so many others.