PDA

View Full Version : How do i?

biker5
28-Oct-08, 17:29
Hi i have an 8gb memory stick for my laptop and i was wondering how do i copy movies onto it? I travel with my work so it would be easier than carrying all my dvds and taking up space. Is the memory stick big enough and if so how do i get the movies onto it?

Thanks

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 17:48
Hi i have an 8gb memory stick for my laptop and i was wondering how do i copy movies onto it? I travel with my work so it would be easier than carrying all my dvds and taking up space. Is the memory stick big enough and if so how do i get the movies onto it?

Thanks

There are two ways - the easy way and the better way.

The easy way is to insert the USB key into your PC and insert the DVD you want to copy from into your DVD drive, go to My Computer, right click the DVD drive and select Explore. You now need to copy the VIDEO_TS folder from your DVD onto your USB key. Once it's on the key, rename the folder to whatever movie it is. Then use something like VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) to open the copied folder and play it. Doing it this way will mean you may only get one, maybe two DVD's onto the USB key.

The preferred way is to download something like DVDx from here (http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD-to-an-AVI-or-MPG-File-Using-DVDx) and follow the instructions to convert the DVD to an AVI or MPEG. This does take longer which is why I mentioned both methods.

biker5
28-Oct-08, 17:51
Cheers for that!
If i download that dvdx wil i be able to get more movies on the stick?
Thanks

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 18:00
Cheers for that!
If i download that dvdx wil i be able to get more movies on the stick?
Thanks

Yes. DVDx should compress the movies to anything from 300Mb to 700Mb (ish) depending on length, quality etc. This should allow you between 10 and 25 movies as opposed to 1 or 2.

biker5
28-Oct-08, 19:48
I downloaded one of the versions of dvdx but am unsure if it was the right one as when i get everything ready to start recording the dvd and start to record, just as it starts a window comes up saying the programme needs to close and i will be notified if there is a solution?
Tried lots of times now with no luck. I have now uninstalled it and am going to try another version.
Any Ideas?

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 21:10
I downloaded one of the versions of dvdx but am unsure if it was the right one as when i get everything ready to start recording the dvd and start to record, just as it starts a window comes up saying the programme needs to close and i will be notified if there is a solution?
Tried lots of times now with no luck. I have now uninstalled it and am going to try another version.
Any Ideas?

No ideas I'm afraid. It's not a tool I've used extensively and I haven't had the problem you're describing, although it sounds like you're using Vista (I'm using XP).

There are lots of other programs out there that will do the same job. Here is some from Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=jPa&q=dvd+convert+to+avi+mpeg&btnG=Search&meta=).

biker5
30-Oct-08, 10:37
Yes its vista. I have found a couple of programmess which seem to work now. I paid £20 for one. Seems to work fine now. I need one programme to convert and another to encode.
All above me but its workin so that wil do me.
Thanks for the help.

blueivy
31-Oct-08, 12:34
Yes its vista. I have found a couple of programmess which seem to work now. I paid £20 for one. Seems to work fine now. I need one programme to convert and another to encode.
All above me but its workin so that wil do me.
Thanks for the help.

Which one did you end up buying?

biker5
01-Nov-08, 12:15
iSofter DVD Ripper was 20 pound i think. I have xVid for encoding which was free.

matelot79
03-Nov-08, 18:29
You might need this program as well (link below) when encoding or you will not get sound. Played around with a few and can't remember which ones needed it.

http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases