PDA

View Full Version : Help

Mizpah
28-Oct-08, 17:19
Hi looking for help, have a computer (not this one) but after you switch on and it starts up if I plug in a USB memory stick the computer switches off at once screen and all, this happens both with front ports and rear ports just wondering if anyone had any ideas what might cause this. It also happens if you try to start computer with memory stick in place before start up, it will not start all you hear is computer fan running,

look forward to hearing from you.:mad:

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 17:40
Hi looking for help, have a computer (not this one) but after you switch on and it starts up if I plug in a USB memory stick the computer switches off at once screen and all, this happens both with front ports and rear ports just wondering if anyone had any ideas what might cause this. It also happens if you try to start computer with memory stick in place before start up, it will not start all you hear is computer fan running,

That sounds like a hardware problem.

Two questions:

1. Have you tried different USB keys?
2. Does the computer work if another USB device is plugged in (printer / scanner etc.) or does it do the same thing?

Mizpah
28-Oct-08, 17:49
That sounds like a hardware problem.

Two questions:

1. Have you tried different USB keys?
2. Does the computer work if another USB device is plugged in (printer / scanner etc.) or does it do the same thing?

Hi there, I tried two different usb sticks and the same problem happened but when a usb mouse was used in rear ports it worked although I was not there when this was used but my wife was so mystery deepens.

look forward to hearing from you.

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 17:58
Hi there, I tried two different usb sticks and the same problem happened but when a usb mouse was used in rear ports it worked although I was not there when this was used but my wife was so mystery deepens.

look forward to hearing from you.

That is very weird. It still sounds like a hardware problem though.

My only suggestion is to get a USB hub and try that with the key and see if it fixes the problem. I doubt it will.

If it doesn't I suspect you have either a motherboard problem or a power supply problem. It could be that the USB key's are draining enough power to take the PSU over the edge and stop the machine. Whereas the mouse may draw less power.

What is the spec of the machine and do you have any high power devices (such as a graphics card) attached?

Mizpah
28-Oct-08, 18:25
That is very weird. It still sounds like a hardware problem though.

My only suggestion is to get a USB hub and try that with the key and see if it fixes the problem. I doubt it will.

If it doesn't I suspect you have either a motherboard problem or a power supply problem. It could be that the USB key's are draining enough power to take the PSU over the edge and stop the machine. Whereas the mouse may draw less power.

What is the spec of the machine and do you have any high power devices (such as a graphics card) attached?

Thanks for your help not sure of specification of computer and dont think there are any high powered things attached, what is strange is that a few weeks ago it was working fine as i still have some of the info on the memory stick but now it certainly wont.

Would this happen if power supply was going down and would it be worthwhile to fit another power supply.

blueivy
28-Oct-08, 18:28
Thanks for your help not sure of specification of computer and dont think there are any high powered things attached, what is strange is that a few weeks ago it was working fine as i still have some of the info on the memory stick but now it certainly wont.

Would this happen if power supply was going down and would it be worthwhile to fit another power supply.

A power supply usually (but not always) just dies rather than degrading. At least in my experience. However a PC without sufficient power does do a lot of weird things.

It may be worthwhile fitting a new power supply to the machine and seeing if that fixes the problem. It won't hurt and it could certainly fix the problem.

If nothing has changed between when it worked and now then it's unlikely to be any high powered devices (my thoughts there were maybe you had installed something and then it started happening).

Mizpah
07-Nov-08, 15:57
:lol:

Just to let you good folks know I am grateful for the Blue Ivy gave me on this matter and it was resolved by putting in another power supply, so therefore the supply already there must have been on the way out because the computer is going fine now. :lol: