PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the age of consent

TBH
28-Oct-08, 03:47
Should the age of consent in Britain be lowered or should it be raised? If it is lowered then do you see it as pandering to the perverts of this world or do you think our children are mature enough mentallyto handle such a change in legislation?

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 03:53
Indubitably.

TBH
28-Oct-08, 03:59
Indubitably.Indubitably yes or indubitably no?

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 04:20
No idea. You're the one asking the question...

"Clarification". Look it up. ;)

Edit:

If it is lowered then do you see it as pandering to the perverts of this world or do you think our children are mature enough mentallyto handle such a change in legislation?
Ah, clarity at last.

I believe we should ask the age group themselves. Whatever they decide then should be rallied against.

TBH
28-Oct-08, 04:25

"Clarification". Look it up. ;)Questions my dear, questions.
I have some butter that I would like clarified, could you possibly help?

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 04:26
Questions my dear, questions.
I have some butter that I would like clarified, could you possibly help?

I wouldn't like it to turn all ghee.

TBH
28-Oct-08, 04:35
I wouldn't like it to turn all ghee.Take a ghee, answer the questions.[lol]

TBH
28-Oct-08, 04:46

"Clarification". Look it up. ;)

Edit:

Ah, clarity at last.

I believe we should ask the age group themselves. Whatever they decide then should be rallied against.Are they best placed to know the difference?

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 04:46
Take a ghee, answer the questions.[lol]

Nah, I'll pass. Last thing we want is ghee parades and anti-ghee feelings stirred (churned?) up. ;)

TBH
28-Oct-08, 04:51
Nah, I'll pass. Last thing we want is ghee parades and anti-ghee feelings stirred (churned?) up. ;)I take it a trip to ghee Paree is no longer an option?

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 04:52
Are they best placed to know the difference?

Nope, but as their moral guardians we are best placed to deny them, and protect them from themselves.

Let's face it, who would trust their parents to raise them properly, to have taught them the ability to judge for themselves? Not I.

Take the danger out of their hands. Deny them everything. It's the only safe way forward.

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 04:53
I take it a trip to ghee Paree is no longer an option?

I dunno. How are the poppadums in Paris these days?

TBH
28-Oct-08, 04:58
Nope, but as their moral guardians we are best placed to deny them, and protect them from themselves.

Let's face it, who would trust their parents to raise them properly, to have taught them the ability to judge for themselves? Not I.

Take the danger out of their hands. Deny them all everything. It's the only safe way forward.
Most parents have the hindsight of experience whether they wish to pass that on to their children.

TBH
28-Oct-08, 05:02
I dunno. How are the poppadums in Paris these days?Apparently the French are developing a penchant for HP sauce with their poppadums.

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 05:04
Most parents have the hindsight of experience whether they wish to pass that on to their children.

One would hope that they would. Again though, I would trust them no more than I would trust a politician to make the right choice.

Metalattakk
28-Oct-08, 05:06
Apparently the French are getting a developing a penchant for HP sauce with their poppadums.

Yeah sure, and they'll be selling pints of bitter in their wine bars and cafes next. ;)

TBH
28-Oct-08, 05:10
One would hope that they would. Again though, I would trust them no more than I would trust a politician to make the right choice.I think government legislation is currently geared towards the sexual exploitation of our children. If the parents don't make a stand then who is left to protect them?

Julia
28-Oct-08, 10:53
I take it the age of consent is still 16, I think it should be raised to 18 along with everything else.

16 is way too immature for the majority of teens considering the implications of teenage pregnancy, STDs, HIV etc.. not to mention the emotional ramifications.

Bobinovich
28-Oct-08, 12:02
Phew, thanks Julia - thought that was the TBH & MA show for a mo :D!

I agree with Julia - 18 is the earliest I would say a child is an adult so, IMO, that is the way to go.

anneoctober
28-Oct-08, 12:13
Phew, thanks Julia - thought that was the TBH & MA show for a mo :D!

I agree with Julia - 18 is the earliest I would say a child is an adult so, IMO, that is the way to go.
I agree with Julia & Bob, I for one am fed up of us all bending over backwards to appear to be broad minded etc. Kids these days may be sexually mature at an earlier age, but they are certainly not emotionally mature enough to deal with what our world can throw at them - even in Caithness. :(

mums angels
28-Oct-08, 12:14
I take it the age of consent is still 16, I think it should be raised to 18 along with everything else.

16 is way too immature for the majority of teens considering the implications of teenage pregnancy, STDs, HIV etc.. not to mention the emotional ramifications.

Raising the age to 18 will not stop teenagers having sex it will just mean more young boys on the sex offerders register .

I was a mother at 16 and had to live with my actions and get on with it and wouldn't change things for the world and raising the age wouldn't have stopped it happening it just would have meant my husband would have a record .

Ash
28-Oct-08, 12:20
Raising the age to 18 will not stop teeneagers having sex it will just mean more young boys on the sex offerders register .

I was a mother at 16 and had to live with my actions and get on with it and wouldn't change things for the world and raising the age wouldn't have stopped it happeining it just would have meant my husband would have a record .

i completely agree with what you saying.... i to was a mother young and wouldnt change a thing.... raising the age will in my opinion make matters worse

weefee
28-Oct-08, 12:34
no i think it should be lowered to 14, the same as just about every other european country....and no it doesn't encourage perverts. Children these days are more mature and should be encouraged to make informed choices about their lives..... so they can join the army and get married at 16, have a child, but are not allowed to drink.... and we wonder why we have a country that has one of the highest teen pregnancies rate in europe and why we have such a problem with young people binge drinking and violence.

In many other countries in Europe 14 is the age of sexual consent....HOWEVER...there are clauses attached such as it would still be illegal for say someone over the age of 21 to have relations with someone under the age of 16.......

In Germany, sexual intercourse is legal from the age of 14 in most cases. An exception is when the older partner is aged over 18 and is "exploiting a coercive situation" or offering compensation, in which case the younger partner must be over 16. In addition, it is illegal for someone aged over 21 to have sex with someone under 16 if they "exploit the victim's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination".

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

I think it would be utter nonsense to raise the age of consent, and i have two daughters......how much cotton wool do we need to wrap our kids up in.....i am raising my children to be independant and have faith in the choices that they make about all aspects of thier lives. Kids are allowed to watch all manner of sexual activities and thats just Hollyoaks or MTV....they have access to huge amounts of sexual health information, it should be talked about openly and honestly...not made out to be some dirty secret....encourage warm loving relationships....not be made out that sex is dirty and only perverts are interested in it...it is a normal human behaviour and kids should take responsibility of their sexual health too.

Last week i met a 18 year old....who wasn't even allowed on the bus by themselves without their parents????? Independant adult??

rfr10
28-Oct-08, 12:49
The law on sex is very complicated. Instead of raising or lowering the age of consent, the law should be simplified so that young people can have a better understanding of their rights- what is legal and what is illegal. Looking at both sides- increasing the age of consent, will this make a difference? I doubt it. If a huge chunk of the population of people under the age of 16 are, at present, ignoring the law, why would raising the age of consent make any difference? Is there actually an effective way to enforce this law anyway? If two people- a boy and a girl both have sex and are both under the age of 16, it is the boy who is committing the offence. Why? Shouldn't they both be held equally responsible and is it right that they boy, at such a young age could end up on the sex offenders register? It is likely, in the near future, the government will form a list of boys who have had sex under the age of 16 and if they continue to break the law, this is when they will be placed on the sex offenders register. It is very rare for police to prosecute a male for having under age sex. Because the law is so complicated- is it right for a boy to have a life long reputation on a sex offenders register at such a young age which could effect future employment, etc. If the age of consent is increased, it is likely more and more people will face these consequences. Although the sound of it is ridiculous- many young people will do something just because they are breaking a law. Maybe not all, but many will. There are mixed messages being sent across. Although it is illegal for any heterosexual couple under the age of 16 to have sex, it isn't illegal for them to be sold contraception. Parents can also play a big role in this- many will be embarassed to talk to their children about the topic but maybe if children were better educated by their parents on safe sex, there would be less unexpected pregnancies. At least if a young couple are going to have sex, if they know how to be safe and their parents highlight this issue, they are maybe likely to practice safe sex rather than those whos parents will not even mention the subject, making young people believe it is a bad thing. In countries such as Holland, young people are allowed to consent to sex at the age of 12. In the majority of countries where the age of consent is lower that 16, there are less teenage pregnancies than in the UK or even in many of the states of the USA where the age of consent is 18. Lowering the age of consent will make it more likely for young people to actually seek contraception and feel less embarassed about it. If it was increased, less young people are likely to do this, however, many will still have sex. People in Britain are less open about the subject than in many other countries- maybe this is a problem? So my overall opinion would be for the age of consent to remain at 16 and for the law to be simplified or lower the age of consent to no lower than 14 but at the same time making it an offence for both the male and female under that age instead of only the male.

starry
28-Oct-08, 15:25
Agree 100% with weefee.

the original ducky
28-Oct-08, 15:31
i think that it should stay the same but i was a young mum {18} and i know people that have had a family young. but i do think that there should be harsh conserquences for children that do have sex underage they need to be guided and not judged they need to be taught that having sex leads to all sorts like babies and most of them just follow what there friends are doing and dont realise how young they are there 15 but they act like there 20 im most cases. i think children should act like children for as long as they can because childhoods are short but adulthood is the rest of there lives!!!!!

perverts!!!!! dont get me started on this subject!! but hey im gunna have a rant!!!!

i went down to the chippy a few weeks ago and all you see down the street is children walking and sitting around girls and boys, the girls are to busy walking around showing off and waving at older boys MEN!!! in the cars. ive no idea how old they are but if they were 18 then they wouldnt be walking or sitting around they would be in the pub ect. i always see on the news paper ect about a man has had sex with a underager something has to be done about this they get away with it somtimes go to jail or the sex offenders list but i dont think that hard enough or it would stop others from doing it. we need to protect are children to let them be children and protect them from the sickos in this world instead of turning a blind eye and when we read about it or see it on the news ""oh isnt that shocking""" doesnt come into it!!!!!!!

the original ducky
28-Oct-08, 15:41
and as for the sex offenders reg. it should be public knowledege so that we can watch are children. they should be named and shamed instead of them carrying on with there lives people should know what they have done and how long ago. if they have done it once they will do it again.

a spot cant change into a square now can it!!!!!!!

rfr10
28-Oct-08, 15:51
and as for the sex offenders reg. it should be public knowledege so that we can watch are children. they should be named and shamed instead of them carrying on with there lives people should know what they have done and how long ago. if they have done it once they will do it again.

a spot cant change into a square now can it!!!!!!!

But do you think it's right if a girl is 15 and the boy is 15 and the boy is put onto the sex offenders register for the remainder of his life and has a reputation for having underage sex even if it wasn't meant to harm anyone?

the original ducky
28-Oct-08, 15:54
But do you think it's right if a girl is 15 and the boy is 15 and the boy is put onto the sex offenders register for the remainder of his life and has a reputation for having underage sex even if it wasn't meant to harm anyone?

well no i dont but i think that children need to be guided and need to learn about conserquences ect. if there the same age and the both are wanting to not just because there the only ones in the group that havnt. then the pill and a condom should be bought. xx

but the sex offenders reg is when a adult has sex with a child

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 18:51
Whatever the age of consent in law, it will be increasingly ignored so long as we have a media, and an advertising industrywhich exploit the 'sex sells' message.

I think sixteen is about right. We cannot deny biology, by the age sixteen both parties are well capable of the physical act, of sewing a seed and reaping it. For that's what it's about is it not ?

Of course,with so many forms of birth control sex is now a recreational pleasure - such terms were not recognised when people gathered around fires and huddled together for warmth. It felt good then as it feels good now, but nowadays most can 'get away' with a dabble without a resultant pregnancy. I'm not sure the advances in science have done us many favours. Women might disagree.

The very thought of raising the age of consent is a non-starter.

Of course, where my nearest and dearest are concerned I have a grand-daughter who will be sixteen in 2018. By then I'd like to see the age of consent raised to 25 !

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 18:57
.........i went down to the chippy a few weeks ago and all you see down the street is children walking and sitting around girls and boys, the girls are to busy walking around showing off and waving at older boys MEN!!! in the cars. ive no idea how old they are but if they were 18 then they wouldnt be walking or sitting around they would be in the pub ect..............

Maybe we should just ower the legal age for drinking, and then all these pubs that are struggling for custom could double up as youth clubs.

the original ducky
28-Oct-08, 20:00
thats not what i meant !! i meant that these children that was going around would of bein under 18 and to be honest none of them looked 16!!!

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 20:32
thats not what i meant !! i meant that these children that was going around would of bein under 18 and to be honest none of them looked 16!!!

I was jokin' me duck.

JAWS
29-Oct-08, 01:37
Perhaps it would be better, with the current age being retained, if each case was dealt with on it's merits. That way young girls can still be protected where necessary whilst dealing with youngsters, shall I say "experimenting", in a more appropriate manner than criminalising them.

As somebody has already pointed out, making rules involving age is one thing but that will not stop the situation happening. The main question is not so much age but how to teach youngsters how to behave responsibly in such matters.
One thing I am really glad about is that I am not the one who has to find the answer to that one.