PDA

View Full Version : Thunder & Lightning

lildj
27-Oct-08, 11:12
Waw what did you all think of the Thunder & Lightning last night my house was shaking every time the lightning hit it was right over my house.

Torvaig
27-Oct-08, 11:15
Yes, it was very noisy; could see the blue flashes even through lined curtains. My dog looked at me as if to say "Hallowe'en has started early hasn't it?" :lol:

kriklah
27-Oct-08, 11:16
we had one dip of the lights and one rumble of thunder...... and that was it!!! rather dissapointed, i love a good lighting show, though the dog goes nuts at the thunder

Tom Cornwall
27-Oct-08, 11:34
We didn't have any doon here...I like watching the flashes of lightning...Liz hides behind the cushions..a big feartie!!:):)

mccaugm
27-Oct-08, 11:59
My son came running through excited talking about thunder and lightening...knowing full well it freaks me out. My hubby stood watching it from the patio doors with the curtains closed. He is a little more sensitive to my fears thank goodness.

teenybash
27-Oct-08, 12:46
Had a few big rolling rumbles...............The gods must have been rolling boulders through the heavens..................;)

floyed
27-Oct-08, 16:20
I never heard anything, shame cause i love a good thunder storm:D

Mar
27-Oct-08, 18:35
Most of the houses at the top of Scrabster lost their power and were out for a good couple of hours. I wonder if "we" were hit. Would anyone know how to find out?

Just as I opened the blinds to watch the hailstones (which were massive) there was an almighty flash and the loudest crashing sound I have ever heard.

unicorn
27-Oct-08, 18:59
a pylon was hit that had a transformer on it.

Bobinovich
27-Oct-08, 19:02
Well so far today I've had a number of blown PCs and routers reported - mostly from outlying areas around Thurso...

George Brims
27-Oct-08, 19:17
When I lived in Hawaii in the 1980s we had a massive thunderstorm one night. The next week we had a problem with a Mac computer and took it down to the local dealer to get fixed, but there was a huge backlog of blown machines. The tech was telling me that three of the machines had actually been unplugged from the wall when the lightning stuck the ground nearby, and the power cord acted as enough of an antenna to zap the power supply in them.

Still, in many cases a good surge protector will save a machine from this kind of problem.

Bobinovich
27-Oct-08, 21:00
Yes that is true but one of the PCs I examined today was connected to a surge/filter unit but not damaged electrically! Instead the internal 56k modem (used only for faxing) was connected and the surge came in on the phone line and took out both the modem and adjoining motherboard.

The routers (both Orange Liveboxes funnily enough) were 'killed' through the phone line also - one was completely dead, the other still allowed network & wireless access, just not to the Internet!

The PC and one of the Liveboxes were only about ½ mile from each other.

ciderally
27-Oct-08, 22:24
eh...whare was i when this was going on???? never heard a thing...