PDA

View Full Version : Warning to all

Angel
26-Oct-08, 22:25
Can you circulate this around especially as Christmas is fast approaching.
It has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and
that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £15 for the phone call".

Angel

sweetpea
26-Oct-08, 22:43
Surley if you were expecting a parcel you would know where it came from?

Where evenh? haha

golach
26-Oct-08, 23:08
This has been confirmed as a true scam

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

sweetpea
26-Oct-08, 23:11
Maybe it is a TRUE scam but I wouldn't be taken in.;) There's so many TRUE scams these days that ears ############### up at the very mention..

bekisman
26-Oct-08, 23:17
Sorry. An interesting site: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html)

1. This email warning has been circulated since the end of 2005. Recent submissions indicate that the warning is once again rapidly gaining momentum. The information in the message was mostly factual. However, the particular scam described in the message was shut down at the end of 2005 and the information is no longer relevant. The continued forwarding of this warning to others is now pointless and counterproductive

2. The email refers to a £15 charge for simply being connected to a recorded message. This is NOT TRUE – a £15 connection charge does NOT exist. The service in question actually cost £1.50 per minute and lasted six minutes, making a total cost of £9 if callers stayed on the line for the full six minutes.

3. There is also no current warnings about this particular scam on either the Trading Standards website or the Royal Mail website.

Venture
26-Oct-08, 23:18
Can you circulate this around especially as Christmas is fast approaching.
It has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and
that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £15 for the phone call".

Angel

Thanks for the warning Angel. I would never think on checking this out first as I get parcels from quite a few different carriers. There are so many of them now that its hard to keep track of them all.

sweetpea
26-Oct-08, 23:22
oh well I must be the sad one then. I don't get many parcels.

Kodiak
26-Oct-08, 23:56
Even if I wanted to I could not call that number as I have all premium Numbers Blocked so that they can Not be called from my phone. :D

brokencross
27-Oct-08, 09:30
Surley if you were expecting a parcel you would know where it came from?

Where evenh? haha

Maybe it is a TRUE scam but I wouldn't be taken in.;) There's so many TRUE scams these days that ears ############### up at the very mention..Famous last words

Scenario:
You are expecting a parcel. You have gone out for the day and when you come home this very legitimate looking card is on the mat from PDS. Of course you want your parcel so you had better phone the number on the card to get that parcel you are expecting.

If you hadn't had this timely, friendly warning from Angel you may well have phoned the number and fallen victim to the scam. Forewarned is forearmed, is it not?

Many couriers operate this system of leaving a card for non-delivery of items.

Thumper
27-Oct-08, 09:50
Well done to you Angel for this warning! I was stung by this one last year :eek: I was expecting a few parcels as I had started my xmas shopping online and came home to find the card in the door,so naturally I phoned it to re arrange delivery.Call me stupid if you want guys BUT delivery couriers change up here a lot and when dealing with a different company you cant be sure who they will use to deliver your parcel and thats how I fell for it!:( x

ciderally
27-Oct-08, 09:53
thanks for that

Kevin Milkins
27-Oct-08, 10:30
Thanks for the heads up on that one Angel.
The last thing Mrs M said last night "I am waiting for a parcel from her card making club and if its not here by this morning she will give them a ring":confused
8-30 this morning her parcel was delivered,:Razz however if a card was put through the door I have no doubt she would have called the number given on it.:mad:

bekisman
27-Oct-08, 11:44
just wondering; Is no one reading #5 above?

northener
27-Oct-08, 13:27
I think you know the answer to that one........

bekisman
27-Oct-08, 13:31
hmmm.......

brokencross
27-Oct-08, 13:44
MMMMmmmm...some more.
I read it and was wondering how do I know that website is not a hoax in itself:confused

Margaret M.
27-Oct-08, 15:19
just wondering; Is no one reading #5 above?

Obviously not, and if Gollach's link is read all the way through snopes clearly states that this scam was ended in 2005 but the email just continues to circulate.

A STATEMENT FROM PHONEPAYPLUS ABOUT THE CURRENT ‘POSTAL SCAM' CHAIN EMAIL

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:

The chain email refers to a service that was shut down by us in December 2005.
We subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.
The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.
You do NOT need to contact us, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost three years ago.
If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.
Please go to www.phonepayplus.org.uk/pdfs_news/ConsumerGuide.pdf (http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/pdfs_news/ConsumerGuide.pdf) for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence.
For more detailed information about our work, please visit www.phonepayplus.org.uk (http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/).

floyed
27-Oct-08, 16:32
Thanks for info good to know:D

bekisman
27-Oct-08, 18:53
Margaret.m; Ta!

northener
28-Oct-08, 00:54
I'd just like to warn people about a group of Mediterranean type gentlemen who are trying go to sell large wooden horses to unsuspecting castle owners.............

Reports state that if you buy one and wheel it into your courtyard, you will awake the next morning....if you're lucky.

Torvaig
28-Oct-08, 01:05
I'd just like to warn people about a group of Mediterranean type gentlemen who are trying go to sell large wooden horses to unsuspecting castle owners.............

Reports state that if you buy one and wheel it into your courtyard, you will awake the next morning....if you're lucky.

That'll be the new wheelie bins then? :eek:

TBH
28-Oct-08, 01:19

Reports state that if you buy one and wheel it into your courtyard, you will awake the next morning....if you're lucky.Aye, ye hev got till watch at Thurso Villagers, they will try anything till get intil Week without being caught by immigration.

wifie
28-Oct-08, 01:20

That'll be the new wheelie bins then? :eek:

Blimey will we need a stable for the bins now? Or will the ones for paper just be the size o' shelties?