PDA

View Full Version : Strictly fans are "racist"

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 19:27
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/strictly_come_dancing/article53144.ece

Couldnt believe this when I read it. Are the BBC trying to say that the voters only voted for them because they were black? Cant believe this, maybe they voted for them because they had no charisma and the public didnt want to continue watching them?
If next week there are 2 white people will there be such a reaction? Doubt it.
What the BBC are basically saying is that the public are "racist" when its nothing of the sort.

Daniel on X factor is constantly slated for being Rubbish but stays on the show why? because people like him, thats the whole point of having voting on these shows. The public pick who they like and who they dont-simple.Maybe the BBC want to keep them on the show for "PC" reasons but that goes against the nature of the show.

gleeber
26-Oct-08, 19:39
It's not as simple as that. If your inclined to believe that humans operate on an unconscious level as well as a conscious one, then the options of unconscious racism has to be considered.

wifie
26-Oct-08, 19:41
Oh for goodness sake IT IS A TELLY PROGRAMME. John Sergeant is being kept in to annoy the judges (one every year). Andrew Castle is cute and must have millions of female fans voting him in. Mark Foster - phwaw! [lol]

Anne x
26-Oct-08, 19:43
Oh for goodness sake IT IS A TELLY PROGRAMME. John Sergeant is being kept in to annoy the judges (one every year). Andrew Castle is cute and must have millions of female fans voting him in. Mark Foster - phwaw! [lol]

Double phew phew Wifie and that Austin Healey Bum phew and of course B Cole phew phew phew !!![lol]

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 19:45
It's not as simple as that. If your inclined to believe that humans operate on an unconscious level as well as a conscious one, then the options of unconscious racism has to be considered.

Do you work for the BBC? ;)
There was NO racism as wifie says its a TV programme, people vote for personalities not skin colour, if that was the case why did Leona Lewis win X factor?

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 19:46
Double phew phew Wifie and that Austin Healey Bum phew and of course B Cole phew phew phew !!![lol]

Maybe a lie down on the couch with something chilled would help!!! :)

Anne x
26-Oct-08, 19:50
Maybe a lie down on the couch with something chilled would help!!! :)

will take your advice while waiting on the results with a nice glass of chilled chardonnay

maybe I am a bit onesided with my male competitors oh!! and I missed out Chambers [lol]

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 19:52
tbh I dont even know who is in it!
Do know that Rachel Stevens is,now there is a PHew for you their!
I will just take that thought and lie down for a while till the feeling passes !!![lol]

changilass
26-Oct-08, 20:02
What a load of codswhallop!!

Last year there were 2 of the lassies in the dance off that were good and folks were in uproar over that, but the sexist card wasn't played so why is the racist card being played now?

Jeez its an entertainment show, lets hope they get off the pc bandwagon and get back to enjoying the pretty frocks and all the sparkle.

Kodiak
26-Oct-08, 20:18
What a load of codswhallop!!

Last year there were 2 of the lassies in the dance off that were good and folks were in uproar over that, but the sexist card wasn't played so why is the racist card being played now?

Jeez its an entertainment show, lets hope they get off the pc bandwagon and get back to enjoying the pretty frocks and all the sparkle.

I agree completely, this is supposed to be entertainment and not a PC Contest.

What are they going to do, charge everyone who votes for a White Contestant with Racisim.

binbob
26-Oct-08, 20:45
saaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd thread...get a life...turn over the channel!!!![lol]

Alice in Blunderland
26-Oct-08, 20:53
mmmm................. Is this the same company that have admitted to fixing phone votes for competitions before today :eek: :confused

They have a brass neck to be throwing out accusations.:lol:

Venture
26-Oct-08, 21:04
Well it was Mark Foster who got the heave ho tonight.

stiggy
26-Oct-08, 21:17
Well it was Mark Foster who got the heave ho tonight.

Yeah so we won't get to see him in his trunks opps sorry thats sexist :lol:

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 21:19
saaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd thread...get a life...turn over the channel!!!![lol]

So why participate then? ;)

wifie
26-Oct-08, 21:20
Yeah so we won't get to see him in his trunks opps sorry thats sexist :lol:

Yep stiggy - in the words of Brucie himself - "SHAME! SHAME!"

Tilter
26-Oct-08, 21:40
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/strictly_come_dancing/article53144.ece

Load of rubbish from News of World, but it's got papers to sell. Can't personally see what you're phwaw-ing about Wifie re stick insect Mark but to each his own. I think the black Don guy should have stayed as slightly better at the dancing but he was less popular, so was voted out. Nothing to do with race. Alesha Dixon - first; Mark Ramperkash - first; Colin Jackson - second (only because his partner picked a losing last dance). None of them were white.

wifie
26-Oct-08, 22:15
Load of rubbish from News of World, but it's got papers to sell. Can't personally see what you're phwaw-ing about Wifie re stick insect Mark but to each his own. I think the black Don guy should have stayed as slightly better at the dancing but he was less popular, so was voted out. Nothing to do with race. Alesha Dixon - first; Mark Ramperkash - first; Colin Jackson - second (only because his partner picked a losing last dance). None of them were white.

Bang on Tilter - and I will continue to phwaw ty! ;)

loobyloo
26-Oct-08, 22:18
Typical News of the World: load of old tripe

binbob
27-Oct-08, 00:01
So why participate then? ;)
because i find these kind of posts sooooo irritating...i have picked up very bad habits here...:lol:

JAWS
27-Oct-08, 03:42
It's not something I watch so I can't comment on the fairness of the voting but I am puzzled about one thing. Are they suggestion that Strictly Come Dancing specifically attracts racists whilst other phone voting competitions don't or are they suggesting that all phone voting competitions, which have been happening for countless years now, are racist but nobody has ever spotted the fact before now?

Am I to believe that only white people have ever been winners in TV phone vote competitions or that Strictly Come Dancing is somehow specifically singled out by people to be different because of it’s content. Could it be that when it comes to dance competitions on TV that the audience is completely different to those of other types of talent competitions?

If that is the case then I think there should be an immediate in-depth study of the various audiences in order to asses the social impact such programmes have on various groups in order to stamp on such disgraceful differences in audience behaviour.

hotrod4
27-Oct-08, 08:09

I agree totally. The NOW has papers to sell so will jump on anything controversial,but the fact that the BBc is worried about it shows that they think something is "fishy". I dont believe there is, but there will be someone in an office there who will think that the results are not "right on".
I dont care much for the programme but alot of people do, admitedly the average age of the audience they attract will be higher than say X-Factor, so do the BBC think "older" viewers are racist?
At the end of the day its a TV show, but without publicicty (good or bad) ratings will fall as interest weans,maybe I am cynical but wonder if this story was "leaked" on purpose?

Venture
27-Oct-08, 10:03
Don Warrington and Heather Small are not what you would call current celebrities. I think its the same on all these celebrity shows. The majority of people who decide to vote, do so because they know the celebrity, nothing to do with how well or not they danced. John has become a favourite with the public because he is the underdog and a trier. To be honest the show wouldn't be the same without him he adds a bit of comedy to the whole thing because he is so "bad". As we get closer to the final, he will be eliminated because viewers will see how well the others are performing in comparison and will vote accordingly. Heather and Don were not the worst dancers last week. They may have rhythm but it's spoiled by bad posture and stiffness. Low marks from the judges affect the public vote as well. I think it was just coincidence that they both ended up in the dance off and Don Warrington was rightly eliminated by the judges.

It may well be the case that the BBC are trying to divert attention away from the Woss and Brand fiasco by bringing this story to the attention of the press. IMHO it's nothing to do with the public being racist. A ridiculous suggestion.

gleeber
27-Oct-08, 11:38
I deliberately don't watch the programme because i don't like the way it makes me feel. I've half watched it a few times when my daughter watches it so I know the attraction.
Race is an awaful affliction. I can see why people will ask questions about the result and it's got to be considered to get a better understanding of the kind of society we live in.
It's good that a television programme raises these issues because it gives people a chance to consider what they really think about the race issue or the non issue as most of you seem to think.:~(
It's not as simple as the News of the World reports. It's much deeper than that. And that's what I think :eek:

brokencross
27-Oct-08, 13:39
I think Venture is so right; a lot of folk will be thinking Don who? Heather who? No affection or affiliation to them at all as celebs.

In SCD you do not vote people OFF the show.

You are asked to vote for your favourite "to keep them in".

So in one show, one moment in time, no white dancers are in the bottom two; that makes it racist. I think not.

John Regis needs a reality check and a better agent if he is using this to get his face back in the media and public's eye OR as Tess and Brucie say "Get dialling".

percy toboggan
27-Oct-08, 21:58
Some people (a very few) with a racist agenda will vote....both white and black.
Some black people ( equally few) will vote for a contestant purely on their colour as will whites. Didn't some people vote for a Ms.Garroway last time because she was hopeless? There's nowt so queer as folk! People should not get hung up on human failings, as they will always be there, no amount of re-education or polltical correctness will triumph over the gut instict of some human beings.

Too many minority 'representatives' are now crying 'racism' at almost every opportunity, whereas the common sense bulk of their community cringe at this whimpering default reaction. Rightly so because it's pathetic.

I have no truck with this 'voting on racial grounds' in reality I have more sense than to waste money voting anyway....usually, I've only done it twice. Once for Will Young, and a second time for someone so forgettable, I've forgotten.

I watched 'Strictly' last night and cannot see the point of it. The only dancers worth watching are those marvellous professionals who did their stuff when Iglesias was singing. Lithe, subtle, attractively honed and supremely skilled. Watching some of the other lot was a waste of time. I'm not keen on dancing anyway. I did a mean twist once but to be honest I can't see the point of any of it. Tap yer foot, shake yer hips, grab a woman for a smooch, jump up and down or play air guitar...all other movement to music is surplus to requirementsimho. To fit in to some pre-arranged step pattern seems folly to me....

...Anyway...back to the race...We might see, in a far bigger contest very soon whether race plays a part.... the much talked of 'Bradley' effect..across the pond.

brokencross
28-Oct-08, 13:39
...Anyway...back to the race...We might see, in a far bigger contest very soon whether race plays a part.... the much talked of 'Bradley' effect..across the pond.
It is indeed an interesting concept and I too await the outcome with interest.

Only when it comes to "putting the cross" on the piece of paper or punching holes or computer screens will we see the true views of the people across the pond.

Tilter
28-Oct-08, 16:06
Only when it comes to "putting the cross" on the piece of paper or punching holes or computer screens will we see the true views of the people across the pond.

You can have reverse Bradley too. Republicans worried by McCain/Palin or who don't wish to be seen supporting a non-white crossing to Democrat when they get in that booth.

brokencross
28-Oct-08, 16:42
So true, I'm not one for believing polls of any sort.
I have never been stopped for a poll but I would be sorely tempted to put the proverbial spanner in the works with random answers.
Just have to wait until after Tuesday for the result.

gleeber
28-Oct-08, 19:54
Rightly so because it's pathetic.

I have no truck with this 'voting on racial grounds' in reality I have more sense than to waste money voting anyway....usually, I've only done it twice. Once for Will Young, and a second time for someone so forgettable, I've forgotten.

It is indeed an interesting concept and I too await the outcome with interest.

There's a slight anomaly here from Percy and brokencross.
Whilst brokencross condemns the idea of racism playing a factor in the voting for a tv programme he finds the idea that it may happpen in the American presidential election, "interesting"
Percy goes further. He calls the idea of anyone challenging the voting on the tv programme because of racism "pathetic" Yet, he seems to suggest it may be a factor in the American election too.
Percys post seems authoritive at first glance but it's actually empty of anything other than a right wing agenda. Where does he get the information that only a "very few" people will vote on racist grounds? How does he know that the "common sense bulk" of the black community will cringe at the behaviour of the whimperers amongst them? Where does that information come from Percy?

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 20:38
Percys post seems authoritive at first glance but it's actually empty of anything other than a right wing agenda. Where does he get the information that only a "very few" people will vote on racist grounds? How does he know that the "common sense bulk" of the black community will cringe at the behaviour of the whimperers amongst them? Where does that information come from Percy?

Informed instinct gleeber...nothing more, nothing less.

You've looked at it twice then? Wrong move ...and I've been rumbled...you've just revealed the great trickery that is opinion forming journalism. Stick with the first glance in future, and you'll think better of me.;)