PDA

View Full Version : Barking in the car.

cuddlepop
26-Oct-08, 18:08
How do you stop this,its driving us nuts.

Just back up from Glasgow and Scorrie did not like the "busyness" of it.
If a person walked past the car,any vehicle other than a car got it and dogs well just lets say we're all a little deaf.

We told him to leave it,like we do at home but it just didnt stop him from reacting.

A poor cyclist nearly came off his bike.:~(

muffin
26-Oct-08, 18:37
Our dog not only barks at passing dogs but howls like a banshee with excitement, I was told by a dog psychologist that I needed to distract him when he did it by holding something very attractive like little bits of liver or chicken up to his nose, say 'quiet' and when he stopped howling for a few seconds tell him he is a good boy and give hime the treat. Keep doing this until the word 'quiet' works without the treat.
5 miles later I was covered in dog saliva and fur and the dog was still howling like a banshee.

carasmam
26-Oct-08, 19:06
On 'Its me or the dog' Victoria Stilwell used blankets to blank off all the windows (in the back, not the windscreen obviously, before someone picks me up on that [lol]) and gradually took down the curtains then as the dog quitened and got used to seeing things passing. There was probably more to it, quite likely treats and a word to associate with not barking in the car.
I have her book but it's down the stair, I'll look later and see if there was a bit about it :)

Julia
26-Oct-08, 19:14
I used to squirt my collie with a water pistol, covertly of course, he had no idea where it came from but soon stopped him barking!

binbob
26-Oct-08, 19:27
I AM QUITE SURE THAT WITH THE MANY DOG EXPERTS ON THE ORG.THEY WILL FIND U AN ANSWER.
MY ONLY TIP IS TO CAGE AND COVER IT.
GOOD LUCK[lol]

cuddlepop
26-Oct-08, 20:35
I used to squirt my collie with a water pistol, covertly of course, he had no idea where it came from but soon stopped him barking!

I like that Idea but as Scorrie appears to think he's a fish as he loves swimming with the ducks,he'll want more.

You should see him with waterfalls.:eek:

This dog I'm sure has webbed paws.:roll:

teenybash
26-Oct-08, 20:40
Don't have an answer or even a minute suggestion on how to get Scorrie to stop barking in the car. I had one who was just the same......he was the best back seat driver ever.....pretty unsightly to look at though, tongue lolling, nose dripping and slabbers flying................. He was a hoot and a great fella and we just got used to it...............not much help but, your post brought back a lot of funny memories.

cuddlepop
26-Oct-08, 21:19
Don't have an answer or even a minute suggestion on how to get Scorrie to stop barking in the car. I had one who was just the same......he was the best back seat driver ever.....pretty unsightly to look at though, tongue lolling, nose dripping and slabbers flying................. He was a hoot and a great fella and we just got used to it...............not much help but, your post brought back a lot of funny memories.

I've a sneaky suspision Scorrie's your old dog reincarnated.
:eek:
The episode with the ducks in the Queenspark on Saturday was something else.Suppose he thought as he was getting soaked walking he might as well see if he could catch his breakfast.

Well at least he didnt go into the big pond with the swans.

teenybash
26-Oct-08, 21:50
Would love to have seen Scorrie in the duck pond....I bet there were a few Glasgow folks who had never seen the likes......Great stuff and good on Scorrie for showing what life is all about,,,,he sounds a great lad!!:Razz

jings00
26-Oct-08, 23:56
Our dog not only barks at passing dogs but howls like a banshee with excitement, I was told by a dog psychologist that I needed to distract him when he did it by holding something very attractive like little bits of liver or chicken up to his nose, say 'quiet' and when he stopped howling for a few seconds tell him he is a good boy and give hime the treat. Keep doing this until the word 'quiet' works without the treat.
5 miles later I was covered in dog saliva and fur and the dog was still howling like a banshee.

LOL,,, o dear!!! wipin the tears from my eyes.....

rs 2k
27-Oct-08, 00:09
Hi

U could try 1 of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Humane-Ultrasonic-Dog-Stop-Barking-Anti-Bark-Collar_W0QQitemZ260300241659QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em260300241659&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Our dog barks in the car and i would love to get 1 but he is 14 now so don't think it is right for him

He barks coz he hates being on his own, he doesn't bark at people or any other dogs, as soon as we get back in the car he is quiet [lol]

ciderally
28-Oct-08, 10:07
never mind barking in the car...anything that moves past our house they go bananas...water pistol ummm good idea....might give that a try xx