PDA

View Full Version : septic tank

highlander
26-Oct-08, 13:13
Does anyone know the phone number to get a septic tank emptyed, and how much they charge?

molly
26-Oct-08, 14:06
Hi Highlander,

You have to phone Scottish Waters on 0845 601 8855

A one off empty is £213.60 and they come within 28 days.
Alternatively you can sign a 1 to 3 year contract for £174. Depending on how many people are in your home. This means you can either have it emptied every year, 2 years or maximum 3 years. They then come 4 to 6 weeks after the completed contract has been received.

Hope this helps. Just enquired about it short ago. Have yet to have mine emptied.

silverfox57
26-Oct-08, 14:09
Does anyone know the phone number to get a septic tank emptyed, and how much they charge?
there was a thread about septic tanks about 3weeks ago, if it is any help:lol:

highlander
26-Oct-08, 15:14
Thanks for the phone number.

muffin
26-Oct-08, 15:18
Is this another example of no competition, where I lived before it cost £90 to have a tank emptied

bekisman
26-Oct-08, 16:23
We had ours done a while back and these are Scottish Water charges, sorry it's a bit long, but covers everything?; :
We offer a septic tank de-sludging service to customers who own a private septic tank which takes standard household waste, such as sewage and waste water.
If you meet all of our basic conditions the standard charges shown below will apply. If you do not meet all of our basic conditions we may still be able to de-sludge your tank, but not at the rates shown below. For details of our basic conditions or any further information about septic tanks please call us on 0845 601 8855.
Customers are reminded that Scottish Water reserves the right to refuse the de-sludging of a septic tank if the conditions are not met and the situation is considered unsafe. Furthermore if lids are not readily accessible, free from any apparent damage or not seized or locked in position we will not be liable for any damage caused. It is also our policy that any biological treatment facilities that require de-sludging, will not be refilled with water after the de-sludging operation has been completed.
All charges below are based on one tank being de-sludged. Properties with more than one septic tank will be charged per tank.
Household Septic Tank De-sludging Charges for 2007/8 are as follows:
De-sludging Charges Scheduled: £134.00. Unscheduled £205.00. Urgent response: £295.00 or actual Cost
These household charges apply to a single septic tank, serving up to 5 houses which meets all the basic conditions.
There will be an additional charge where the volume is greater than 9m³ and this is based per m³ or part thereof.
Additional charge per m³ £25.90
We may impose a charge if our visit is abortive - that is, if we arrive at the property but can't de-sludge the septic tank for reasons beyond our control.
Charge for abortive visit £49.10
There are three levels of service available to septic tank owners in Scotland.
1.Scheduled Service
You can sign a contract with us and we will de-sludge your septic tank at agreed intervals. A planned schedule of regular de-sludging services helps to keep your charges - and our costs - down. This service is charged at the approved rates in operation at the time of each de-sludging service.
Criteria includes:
• weight and manageability of the lid of the tank
• location of tank
• vehicle access and parking facilities

Please note this is not an exhaustive list and other factors may apply.
2.Unscheduled Service
If you would rather not enter into a contract with us, we will endeavour to de-sludge your tank within 28 working days of your request (provided we can get access to it). This service is more expensive to provide than the scheduled service, so the charges are higher.
3.Urgent Response Service
If you need your septic tank de-sludged urgently we will aim to attend within 48 hours of your request where possible. This urgent response service is the most expensive for us to provide and this is reflected in the charge. We may have to charge you the full cost of doing the work.

muffin
26-Oct-08, 18:29
Many thanks for that, I will have to sign a contract for scheduling, it would have helped if Scottish Water had given us some information when connecting our water supply, it was fairly obvious we were nowhere near a mains drainage facility.

Dorrie
26-Oct-08, 22:00
We have lived in our house for 28 years and bar a few mishaps in the first few years we have not had ours emptied for 20 years. If they are treated as the living organism that they should be they should not need emptied as far as I am aware. I use a little bleach in cleaning surfaces and on very little else. Everything is septic tank friendly. Hope this helps save you a pound or two. :)

bekisman
26-Oct-08, 23:21
We have some friends in Caithness who've had their house for over 13 years, it's got one of the old type septic tanks, concrete; 6 feet long x 3 feet wide by 5 feet deep with a concrete lid. It's never been emptied and is working perfectly.. some you win some you loose..

Angel
26-Oct-08, 23:46
Molly is absolutly right... mine was done 3 weeks ago and the bill was exactly as Molly has stated...

Angel

muffin
27-Oct-08, 15:19
I am very interested in those of you who have managed to go for several years without having your tank emptied, I was worried about using bleach, I keep it to a minimum, and some washing-up liquids are anti-bacterial so I was wondering if anyone could recommend alternatives, what about washing powders etc.
Any help gratefully received.

badger
27-Oct-08, 16:42
I never use bleach and buy eco brands for washing, washing-up, cleaning etc. Supermarkets stock a good selection these days and you can get eco almost everything. Must admit I still have a contract for the septic tank but maybe not necessary.

I think often the older ones work better. People used to put dead animals in occasionally to keep the process going but not sure I'd recommend it [disgust]

silverfox57
27-Oct-08, 21:05
I never use bleach and buy eco brands for washing, washing-up, cleaning etc. Supermarkets stock a good selection these days and you can get eco almost everything. Must admit I still have a contract for the septic tank but maybe not necessary.

I think often the older ones work better. People used to put dead animals in occasionally to keep the process going but not sure I'd recommend it [disgust]
have old brick septic tank ,we had to get it water board once,about 5years ago,old farmer saw tanker at gate,when they left he told me next time you see dead animal on road ,just put it in tank and and you wont need to waste your money,never had any bother since ,