PDA

View Full Version : Latheron quood (?) eclesiastica

Bernard
26-Oct-08, 08:40
Have found an entry for Fergusons in Latheron in 1841 census which may be my relatives but the place name is as above. Any ideas what that means?

trinkie
26-Oct-08, 09:24
'Morning,

Where did you find this information ? Are you looking at a Scotlandspeople census, handwritten, and not able to make out the word, which is often difficult?

The " Eclestica" would refer to the church Parish, but the other word has me stumped too ! I had a quick look on FreeCen 1841 and it appears there were lots of Fergusons in the Gillivowan district of Latheron - could that be the word? Check out your names to see if they are there.
Or check out the census in the years before and after to see if the family were still there, the writing could just be clearer that time !

Good luck
Trinkie

I

Oddquine
26-Oct-08, 14:07
Wouldn't it be much the sames as a Quod Sacra parish? Ecclesiastica roughly means church, and Sacra roughly means sacred...........Quod is which or that but I have seen it as Quoad which means roughly as far as...and could be your quood.

Bernard
26-Oct-08, 19:14
Yes does look like quoad now you mention it. I picked it up handwritten from the Scotlands People 1841 census. The place is also difficult to read and looks like Bardnatica or similar

spittalhill
26-Oct-08, 21:41
Could the place be Bardnatullich. There was Chirsty Ferguson , age 40, in the 1841 census at Newlands of Clyth, which is in the same area.

Bernard
27-Oct-08, 18:58
It could well be that it now looks to me like Bardnatua - but it takes up all the column so may have been shortened. The next place on the same document is Bardanamry (I think)

spittalhill
28-Oct-08, 00:40
If you look up the 1841 census on Freecen you will find a Ferguson family living at Bardnatua, Latheron. Nearby are families living at Bardanamry. On present day maps Bardanamry appears as Bardnamerie, and is just to the north west of the junction of the A9 and A99 roads, quite close to Latheron village.