PDA

View Full Version : Caithness names overseas

jock leith
25-Oct-08, 22:54
Hi all its me again.
When I first arrived in Blenheim New Zealand,I walked around town to get to know the place.And low and behold about 100 meters from our house there are a cluster of three streets ie KEISS ,DUNBEATH,LYBSTER.I was really surprised ,it just shows the influence that Caithness people had abroad.
Has anyone else come accross something simalar ,and if so which country??????

Have tried to post this info on other parts of the Site but nothing has been updated for years.

Kevin Milkins
26-Oct-08, 00:34
Hi all its me again.
When I first arrived in Blenheim New Zealand,I walked around town to get to know the place.And low and behold about 100 meters from our house there are a cluster of three streets ie KEISS ,DUNBEATH,LYBSTER.I was really surprised ,it just shows the influence that Caithness people had abroad.

Have tried to post this info on other parts of the Site but nothing has been updated for years.

The story as I understood it jock, it was a New Zealand Mowrie came to Caithness many years ago and and brought some of his local name places with him.:roll:
Keiss, is Mowrie for rugby ball
Dunbeath is Mowrie for all black
and Lybster is Mowrie for liar.;)

sassylass
26-Oct-08, 02:29
Hi all its me again.

There's Ordway Street in Berkeley California :D

jock leith
26-Oct-08, 03:26
Back to school for spelling lessons Kevin .(MAORI).Good quick thinking reply though.

weedonald
26-Oct-08, 05:18
Caithness crescent in Port Moody, BC
Halkirk Alberta and Thurso Quebec some more here with Caithness http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

George Brims
26-Oct-08, 06:43
In West Hills, California is a Highlander Road, off which is Helmsdale Road and Balmoral Lane. There's also a Darnoch Way (yes that's how they spelled it!) which leads me to think they just grabbed the names off a map. I only know these because my colleague at work used to live on the corner of Helmsdale and Balmoral.

DeHaviLand
26-Oct-08, 10:43
Back to school for spelling lessons Kevin .(MAORI).Good quick thinking reply though.

Why not join him then? Its "similar", and only one "c" in across ;)

Kevin Milkins
26-Oct-08, 11:06
I put my hands up when it comes to spelling,I am rubbish, or is that rubish?:D.
I did however have a little google for the spelling of Mowrie,Maorie,Mowry and it looked like take your pick.:confused
As a matter of interest jock have you reserched localy to find out the reason behind the street names. That would be interesting.Early New Zealand Books > VARIANT SPELLINGS (http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4cfPuPgRJgAkBtHRLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZnVjZWV zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1VLQzAwMV8xM g--/SIG=12nup60u1/EXP=1225101422/**http%3A//www.enzb.auckland.ac.nz/document.php%3Faction=null%26wid=102)

Torvaig
26-Oct-08, 12:10
Came across Inverness and Sackville whilst in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. There were others as well; signs of all the Scots who settled over there. Also spoke to someone who knew our Bobby Coghill as well.....:)

davie
26-Oct-08, 18:25
Have not noticed any Caithness names but I found a Norfrost freezer in a wee shop in Al Khobar (Saudi Arabia) and Caithness glass paperweights in a fancy Singapore shoppie plus Gollachs in many corners of the world

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 18:49
Have not noticed any Caithness names but I found a Norfrost freezer in a wee shop in Al Khobar (Saudi Arabia) and Caithness glass paperweights in a fancy Singapore shoppie plus Gollachs in many corners of the world

Not Horny gollachs surely?
They get everywhere them things, cant stand them like to squash them. :)

canuck
26-Oct-08, 19:43
Canada is full of Caithnessian place names. Winnipeg in Manitoba is particularly blessed and that is why I refer to it as Caithness West.

In my home here in Edinburgh I have a painting of Wick Presbyterian Church from Wick, Ontario.

Kodiak
26-Oct-08, 21:03
Here is a Photo of a Train stuck in the Snow at Thurso not far from Ottawa, Canada.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2rysd9d.jpg

sandyr
27-Oct-08, 02:59
Hi,
Wick, Helmsdale & Berriedale Braes in Southern Ontario, Can.
Thurso & Lybster in Thunder Bay (Used to be called Fort William!), Northern Ontario.
Lybster Mill In Niagara Falls area, Southern Ontario.
Dunbeath in St Petersburg, Florida.
Actually Wick Presbyterian Church is about 30 miles North of me. Sent a picture to Caithness.org, but I guess it was never used........
These are just the ones I saw........

I guess you all know what Scotland's greatest export is?????

It's people......................Regards...sandyr

jock leith
27-Oct-08, 08:06
thanks sandyr great photo ,and yes Canada certainly has plenty of Caithness name places. jock leith

sandyr
27-Oct-08, 15:31
Hi Canuck,
Heard you had a wee accident. Hope you are well again......s

George Brims
27-Oct-08, 19:19
I guess you all know what Scotland's greatest export is?????

It's people......................Regards...sandyr
Ah'm an export masel!