PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Tesco Offer!!

neepnipper
25-Oct-08, 14:11
Just done the weekly shop in Tesco, wanted some energy saving light bulbs and knew they had the BOGOF offer on but couldn't see what I wanted on the display by the newspapers, so went down to the light bulb section in the bottom right hand corner of the store and they have energy saving bulbs.....wait for it......£1.00 each or 5 for 40p!!! Yes, I did look more than twice at what it said and checked with an assistant and it was correct, so got 10 energy saving light bulbs which should've worked out at £10.00 for 80p! Double checked receipt all discounted correctly so I'm very pleased with myself!:D

teenybash
25-Oct-08, 14:24
Thanks for the tip Neepnipper........off to grab some.:)

Kodiak
25-Oct-08, 14:25
Seems like a great offer. One question though.

Do these light bulbs haxe a Covering or not. I ask as it was reported on TV a few says ago that the energy saving bulbs without a covering, the ones that DO NOT look like a Normal Light Bulb, give out Ultra Violet Light and could give a Burn if you sit close to one.

So this could be one reason why they are selling them so cheap

The Energy Saving Bulbs that look like Normal Bulbs are supposed to be safe though.

trix
25-Oct-08, 14:52
the ones that DO NOT look like a Normal Light Bulb, give out Ultra Violet Light and could give a Burn if you sit close to one.

cheers for 'e tip kodiak, if i sit close enough til ma lamp i mite get a tan for santa comin ;)

bekisman
25-Oct-08, 15:11
Bit more detail: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/lowenergy_light/ (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/lowenergy_light/)

"You'd need to be closer than 30 cm from the bulb for more than an hour a day and it would need to be an open type light bulb - the whirly ones"

"Not all fluorescent bulbs give off significant ultraviolet radiation, but for some if you are within two centimetres the exposure is equivalent to that experienced by being outside on a sunny summer's day in the UK."

So don't think I'll rush off and change my whirly one's as I don't usually sit three quarters of an inch from it...