PDA

View Full Version : nice breezy day

lynne duncan
25-Oct-08, 13:06
just sitting listening to the wind howling and wondering how the rest of the orgers are coping with it, we've no damage but next doors trampoline enclosure, is now a totally different shape than before.

we're planning going to thurso later to the cinema so it should make for interesting driving

henry20
25-Oct-08, 13:09
Working in Orkney as a favour to someone and its my nephews christening in Aberdeenshire tomorrow, but all boats have been cancelled, so I'm stuck on Orkney for the weekend - unless tonights flight leaves, but at the moment its not looking hopeful. :(:(:(

Liz
25-Oct-08, 13:14
Lynne you are Queen of the understatement!:lol:

I hate this flipping wind!!!! I am sitting here listening to everything clattering and banging and watching all the poor garden plants being blasted!

The poor dog can't get a walk today again. He'll end up as a kite!:eek:

Safe journey Lynne and henry20 that's such a shame!

Angela
25-Oct-08, 13:22
Atrocious weather here in Edinburgh so my 'birthday' weekend visiting the family in Perth has been postponed.

It's disappointing but I'll admit to relief once the decision was made. Ok - I'm a coward! ;)

Someone else's window box has just hurtled by.... :eek:

The big sycamore right outside my window is swaying so much I'm scared that the phone lines tangled up in it will snap, and that a branch will break off and crash through my window. If that does happen, I'd rather be here to deal with it than come home to a scene of chaos.

Keep snug and cosy, fellow Orgers! ;)

justine
25-Oct-08, 13:33
Ill second that.Spent from 3-7am up with Keonah and it never gave up.

The wind is so relentless and according to the weather it is gonna get to maybe 80mph so keep hold of your hats ladies, we in for a rough windy weekend.:eek:

teenybash
25-Oct-08, 13:34
Getting a bit of a battering...field gate post, with gate attached was lurching and had to do a temp repair with rope while clinging on to try and stop myself flying off into the wild blue yonder...Whew!!!!:)

pat
25-Oct-08, 13:35
wild, wet and windy is an understatement.

Something hit the side and roof of the house yesterday - thought it was the roof disappearing across the Minch to Sutherland.

Tried to take the dogs out for their usual morning stroll - after second time of getting picked up and blown against the fence in less than 100 yards we returned home. Luckily wind blowing towards fence and not towards the sea - dont fancy a dip in the wild white waves of the bay.

Wheelie bins and everything taking wings and flying - sheeps fleece have brightened up the past few days, they are practically white. Found a cold water tank complete with balcock on the road coming back with dogs - do not know where that came from, looked new, wonder what I will find after the hoolie, hopefully the fences will be cover in £20 notes instead of plastic bags!

Hope everyone is safe.

Gizmo
25-Oct-08, 13:46
Yep, hids awful wundy eday, just been out in the garden putting heavy stones on everything that moves, a cracking day for drying washing, although i wont be putting any out as i dont fancy a trip to Orkney to collect it :lol:

golach
25-Oct-08, 13:52
Well done Tugmistress for the heads up on this weather front. We have great beeg wheelie bins careering all over the street here, not seen any flying trampolines..........yet[lol] But lots of wifies, girnan and moaning, all with umbrellas that have turned outside in. Mary Poppins would not fare well this wekend :lol:

Venture
25-Oct-08, 13:53
Its certainly pretty gusty and leaves are flying around like confetti. I think it might get worse this afternoon if the wind map is accurate. Snow forecast for Sunday too I hear. This is a good link to get an idea of the strength of the wind in your area and what's expected.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Venture
25-Oct-08, 14:09
Well golach let's hope that the wind will blow a few goals in to the net in Edinburgh today for Wick Academy when they take on Edinburgh City in the 2nd round of the Scottish Cup. At least the Wickers will be used to playing in gales.:lol:

kriklah
25-Oct-08, 17:16
i just been out and turned teh trampoline over before we lose it!! and moved the bins to the front of the house as they were heading off around the garden. just hoping the wind dont blow the satalite dish off, dont relish the idea of gettingup on the roof to fix it, kids would winge without their kiddy progs to watch!! now to hunt out the old phone incase the power goes out as ive got cordless that are usless in a powercut!

dirdyweeker
25-Oct-08, 17:21
Have also heard that due to the wind and the Orkney ferry not crossing that Bon Jovi tribute act will now NOT be on at the Waterfront in Wick tonight.

Sapphire2803
25-Oct-08, 17:22
Anyone who fancies a bit of free entertainment is welcome to pop round and watch the tent that I've just remembered is down the garden.
It's been out since summer, so it's doing well :lol:

teenybash
25-Oct-08, 17:22
Not long ago a huge branch came crashing down.............luckily didn't hit the house or would have been replacing some tiles.........................:roll: