PDA

View Full Version : Books

scotsboy
18-Jan-06, 13:11
What is everyone reading at the moment?

Just finished:
True Crime by Jake Arnott
Electric Brae by Andrew Geig

and am currently reading The People's Act of Love by James Meek.

squidge
18-Jan-06, 13:13
True Crime is good and the two follwoing ones are good too.

im reading Wild Swans by Jung chang.... Again!

finished the Dark Tower series by Steven king just before xmas

unicorn
18-Jan-06, 13:15
Just reading song for suzannah Squidge I hope after all these years the series has a good end lol

scotsboy
18-Jan-06, 13:18
You should read Electric Brae Squidge - you would love it.

squidge
18-Jan-06, 13:19
Just reading song for suzannah Squidge I hope after all these years the series has a good end lol

it has an interesting end - you will like it

unicorn
18-Jan-06, 13:25
Excellent Interesting is definately better than the ones where you are left thinking WHAT??? I hate books with a bad ending. Another good author I have recently discovered is Karen Slaughter she does crime with some pretty gorey bits indeed.

JAWS
18-Jan-06, 14:48
Unicorn, it's not only books which had that problem.

A long time ago when artistic people were very busy being "trendy" a play write proudly pointed out that "Plays used to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Now we have advanced from those restrictions!"

Perhaps some Authors have now caught the same disease.

Bumblebee
18-Jan-06, 14:57
Does the Caithness Courier count?? Just finished reading today's copy now. A couple of very interesting articles in it :p Anyone else read it yet?

Whitewater
18-Jan-06, 15:10
Yes, I have read a few articles in the Courier this morning, interesting as well. I must confess the first section I look at is always the district court, its been busy.

I'm reading the "Book of Hiram" just now by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas. However, it is not a book that will interest everybody, its one of their books in a series they have produced in an attempt to trace the roots of Freemasonary.

porshiepoo
18-Jan-06, 15:33
I've just finished the The Da Vinci Code, now I'm on Angels and Demons.
Gonna be reading Martina Coles latest 'The Take' after that.

Whitewater
18-Jan-06, 15:38
"Angels and Demons" is a great yarn, I didn't think it was quite up to the "Da Vinci Code" though.

porshiepoo
18-Jan-06, 15:52
I'm getting that Whitewater.
I couldn't put the Da Vinci Code down but I've not even picked Angels and Demons up for two days now.

golach
18-Jan-06, 16:35
I'm getting that Whitewater.
I couldn't put the Da Vinci Code down but I've not even picked Angels and Demons up for two days now.

Hmmmph thanks you two, I got both for Chrimbo prezzies, dont think I'll bother reading them!!!!!! [mad]

lelebo
18-Jan-06, 16:54
loved the Dark Tower series!!

I'm reading

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (again)
Mr Norrell and Johnathan Strange
Sharron Osbournes bio
Anna Kareninin

Whitewater
18-Jan-06, 17:15
Hmmmph thanks you two, I got both for Chrimbo prezzies, dont think I'll bother reading them!!!!!! [mad]

Don't let us put you off golach, they are both good, and well worth the effort, having read the Da Vinci Code first which was excellent and then reading Angels and Demons, I did not find quite so believable. I have a reasonable knowledge of both subjects and I got the impression in Angels & Demons that he could have done more background research into the main subject of the yarn which is what it is although it is based on an organisation which nobody knows if it still or ever did exist ???

squidge
18-Jan-06, 17:27
I thought angels and Demons was not good at all - didnt like it and never finsihed it which is unusual for me.

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code for what it is - a good mystery story but i cant mbe doing with all this stuff that has been attributed to it - its all nonsense as far as i am concerned

Other favourites include

The woman that walked into doors - Roddy Doyle
A star called Henry - Roddy Doyle

I LOVED "Once in a house on fire" by Andrea Ashworth

porshiepoo
18-Jan-06, 17:28
Golach, please don't be put off reading them, they're still great books.
I believe Angels and Demons is the prequel to The Da Vinci Code but I'm reading them the other way round.
If anything to do with The holy grail or the knights Templar fascinates you then you'll love em.
Sorry if we put you off. :( :(

On that note, I can't wait for The Da Vinci Code to get to the pictures up here, I'll definately be there.
While I was living back in Boston last year Tom Hanks was actually filming it at Lincoln Cathedral so it has even more interest for me now.

paris
18-Jan-06, 18:00
O i remember, thats when you wanted to be an extra and were turned down. lol

phoenix
18-Jan-06, 18:58
Ive read The Da Vinci Code, took me two days I could not put it down it was so brilliant, cant wait to see the film:grin:........ have Angels and Demons too but so far have been unable to make a start on it for some reason. A film has been made about The Celestine Prophecy as well............that should be well worth a watch too!:D

Saveman
18-Jan-06, 19:21
Just finished The Triumph of the Sun - Wilbur Smith
just started Ice Station - Matthew Reilly

Anybody else like Wilbur Smith?

Rhubarb
18-Jan-06, 19:25
A book I read a few years ago and would encourage you all to take up is: - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. This is a book you will not put down, a must read.

krieve
18-Jan-06, 21:52
Bambi and The Lion King lol

landmarker
18-Jan-06, 22:40
Just finished Colin Bell's biography 'Reluctant Hero'
John Peel's 'Margrave of the Marshes' is proving harder to get into - Xmas present.

squidge
18-Jan-06, 23:20
A book I read a few years ago and would encourage you all to take up is: - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. This is a book you will not put down, a must read.

Thats a fabulous book - interesting in that he wrote both and adult and a teenagers book both of them brilliant - good recommendation rhubarb

willowbankbear
18-Jan-06, 23:21
I recieved four books for chrismz, George Best-Blessed, Goodfellas-Henry Hill, The rise &fall of the Gambino crime family-unsure of the author & Cosa Nostra which im just beginning.
First two are interesting and often amusing &violent. the third one, well it isnt for kids[evil]

cuddlepop
18-Jan-06, 23:31
Can anyone recommend any light reading material?I'm studying for a BA in Health just now and the books are really heavy duty.just now we're dong equal opportunities and its confusing to say the least.

garycs
18-Jan-06, 23:39
Just finished the Phillip Pullman "Dark Materials" trilogy for the second time, he won the Whitbread prize for them but I don't really think they're kids books; the subject may be a bit contraversial if you're religious, think they've been banned in some US states.

Read some of the Dan Brown boks before those, including the Da Vinci Code, but can't say I like them; too much of the research seems to be from "See Europe on $10 a day"

Drutt
19-Jan-06, 00:58
Can anyone recommend any light reading material?
Anything by Alexander McCall-Smith. His No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is light reading but lovely.

Tymey
19-Jan-06, 13:25
Anybody else like Wilbur Smith?

He certainly knows Africa.

I'm into reading autobiographies and bivogs. Read Michael Vaughan's recently. I've been passed a copy of War & Peace by Tolstoy and I am really daunted by the sheer size of it....has anyone else read it and would they recommend it?

unicorn
06-Feb-06, 13:40
well I finished the dark tower series squidge and I didn't like the ending one bit... such a good story with a squeezed in ending I think he could have done better :(

squidge
06-Feb-06, 14:10
I have just finished reading a book which i have been looking for for about ten years. I read it at school in 1976 and i have tried to find it over the last ten years with no success. Its called Grandad with Snails and its by Michael Baldwin. Its been out of print since about 1984 and about a year ago i put a thing on Amazon looking for it saying i was preparedto pay £20 for the book. I got it last week!!!!! Its as good as i remembered and im so thrilled to have it. Hopefully my youngest boy will enjoy it too.

unicorn
06-Feb-06, 14:16
I love it when that happens you finally get what you have been waiting for lol the wait makes the read sweeter!! I found a forum that is good for dark tower fans and after looking feel a little better about the ending but not a lot!!
http://thedarktower.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

Karen M26a
06-Feb-06, 14:35
The Wisdom of Crocodiles - Paul Hoffman.

It's a bit weird, but compelling enough.

Tymey
06-Feb-06, 16:19
Haven't started War & Peace yet....decided to go for Moon Dust In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth by Andrew Smith. Interviewing the nine surviving men who have walked on the Moon. (There's a new thread just itching to be started there :) )

Thoroughly enjoying it.