PDA

View Full Version : advice on average cost of new builds

over-the-ord
24-Oct-08, 12:06
just starting to think about building a new house

are there a rough guide on price per m2 so we can work out a rough price for the size of house as the one we fancy is 215m2 the next choice is 173.5 m2 with the sacrifice of the spare bedroom.

theone
24-Oct-08, 14:30
I was told £800 - £1000 a square metre a couple of years ago.

Not sure how much truth there is in that though.

Valerie Campbell
24-Oct-08, 14:50
Try getting some quotes from local companies. They should be able to give you a rough idea per m2 or for full build cost depending on what you want to do. Hope it all goes according to plan for you.

Alice in Blunderland
24-Oct-08, 16:10
Is it a self build or are you going to go to a contractor.

When we first thought about building our house we had a set of plans drawn up and got prices form a few contractors. The price difference on the same plans was quite a bit. The project went on hold then a year or two later with a bigger house planned we approached a contractor recommended to us and the price was much more reasonable in fact affordable.

It pays to shop around. :D

In todays current house building climate surely you might manage to get the price down a bit.

Whitewater
24-Oct-08, 20:21
The price was £1000 per m2 about 12 to 15 months ago. Not sure of the current price, but it will not be too much more than that. It does pay to shop around.

Phoebus_Apollo
24-Oct-08, 20:25
Is it a self build or are you going to go to a contractor.

When we first thought about building our house we had a set of plans drawn up and got prices form a few contractors. The price difference on the same plans was quite a bit. The project went on hold then a year or two later with a bigger house planned we approached a contractor recommended to us and the price was much more reasonable in fact affordable.

It pays to shop around. :D

In todays current house building climate surely you might manage to get the price down a bit.

Stunning house Alice.:)

Alice in Blunderland
24-Oct-08, 21:55
Stunning house Alice.
Thanks for the compliment
We went with a local builder for this house and nothing was too much bother.

I am sure that it was cheaper per square foot upstairs than down but cant quite be sure and our house didnt work out at £1000 pound a square metre although the quotes for the first design from other builders was nearer that. :(

It did pay to shop around a little, although its also good to get a reliable builder who wont give you the run around and charge the earth for any extras and add ons as thats where a lot of people get stung. :roll:

If you like the look of the house just have a look at the area we built in its just beautiful.

We are on the left of the picture beside the loch.

We truly have some stunning landscape in Caithness.:D

cazmanian_minx
25-Oct-08, 09:33
The Skye Homes website has got quite a good guide:

http://www.skyehomes.co.uk/faqs-2008.html

router
25-Oct-08, 12:06
don't know about contractors,but if you can possibly do most of the work yourself you can keep costs way down.i worked with a relative who was in the buisness,we were putting up kit houses for 375-400 M2 ,we even built the kits only parts done in a shop was the roof trusses,stick to builders yards/merchants(one in wick is great for his prices and service) for materials avoid places like homebase,you will find the cost is cut way down.if you have to get contractors in get the materials for them that they need,that way your only cost for them is labour.hope you get sorted

Welcomefamily
26-Oct-08, 11:23
Might even be worth trying Inverness or waiting longer as things are getting bad every where for building and it is set to get much worse yet.

I know a few ergonomists that work in risk analysis for some quite major investment corp and their out look is very poor, you have only got to look at the price of a four bedroom house up here, you can get them for about 150K, last year 230K or more. The market will fall along way yet with this down wards period going to last another 12 months. Dont forget if the pound starts getting too low any cut in interest rate will be reversed and they will start going up which will flood the property market.

over-the-ord
26-Oct-08, 14:53
thanks everyone for the replys and pms we are in the very early stages of looking and are in no hurry, so we can try to get it as right as possible for our family home.........

Moi x
26-Oct-08, 15:35
Dont forget if the pound starts getting too low any cut in interest rate will be reversed and they will start going up Not necessarily. Following Black Wednesday, low interest rates and a low pound bailed us out of the last recession.

Moi x

Scout
26-Oct-08, 17:42
I am sorry to say this but most builders come out with silly figures were they get there price I don’t know. Don’t forget most up here are kit homes. In the south you have most brick face. I know someone had a 4 bedroom house built in the south for £150,000 up here they ask that for kit homes

Alice in Blunderland
26-Oct-08, 20:45
The way I looked at it was... I needed a house built.

I couldnt build one.

I got a few quotes from the local builders and went for the one I considered best value for money. :D

Builders will charge a good price as they are in it to make money.

If I was able to, I could have done a fair bit myself and lowered the cost but a builder I am not.

Yes the majority of houses are kit our builder could have build our house traditionally for not a huge amount of difference in money all things considered. lt would have taken slightly longer.... we opted for the kit.

Our friends south cannot believe how little we paid for our house compared to what we would have down beside them.

We have five bedrooms, large walk in dressing room , five bathrooms, two sitting rooms, large kitchen dining area, utility room and a conservatory all in half an acre of garden,we found we got good value for money with our builder. South we could never have afforded this house finished to the standard we have. :)