PDA

View Full Version : Girvan - anyone know it....

landmarker
17-Jan-06, 23:59
Does anyone know the area around Girvan, in South Ayrshire? The town itself and Barrhill, the village down the road? If so what's it like? We're away there for the weekend I think to have a look around. Is there anything we shouldn't miss?

I understand it used to be a major spot for holidays but time has passed it by somewhat.

any info appreciated.

connieb19
18-Jan-06, 00:02
Is that where Rab C Nesbitt is from???:confused:

landmarker
18-Jan-06, 00:08
Is that where Rab C Nesbitt is from???:confused:

that's Govan Connie - just west of Glasgow methinks.
Your reply makes me think I may have asked this question before
but I can't remember.

Lucy
18-Jan-06, 14:41
I only remember going there on a school summer trip when i was about 8 or 9. and thats a long time ago. i lived just south of Glasgow so it was a good place for a day at the beach during the summer hols. another favourite was Ayr beach but again only vague memories. Sorry this is not much help to you.

golach
18-Jan-06, 16:28
Does anyone know the area around Girvan, in South Ayrshire? The town itself and Barrhill, the village down the road? If so what's it like? We're away there for the weekend I think to have a look around. Is there anything we shouldn't miss?

I understand it used to be a major spot for holidays but time has passed it by somewhat.

any info appreciated.
A nice wee town, with a beautiful view over the Clyde estuary some nice B&b's. Its been a while since I stayed there, Very near Grants of Girvan's whisky plant

nancypotter45
18-Jan-06, 17:16
My husband is from down that way and my brother-in-law actually lives in Girvan. Not what it used to be - has got quite rough. The beach area is quite nice but not really weather for it and they do quite a lot of boat trips from harbour (but maybe not at this time of year). The coast road into Ayr is quite nice and has a lot of things to see and do and Ayr is great for shopping. Hope you have a nice time.

willowbankbear
18-Jan-06, 22:50
I was down in Girvan 7-8 years ago for a weekend, wasnt any better than here in Wick. Roughly about the same size as wick , nice views of Ailsa Craig but not much to do there unless you like long walks along the beachfront

cuddlepop
18-Jan-06, 23:46
Came back that way from holiday last summer, boy has it changed since holidays in the 60s and 70s. Nice enough wee place, most folks are friendly but has a run down feeling. Fair few local shops which are quite good and sandy beach for the dog as there's few chldren using them at this time of year.

Harbour has handful of boats compared with what it was and as far as I know the fishmarket has also closed. Has several pubs and three fish and chip shops. The town of Ayr (slightly smaller than I'Ness) is about 40 minutes away should somone feel the need to shop seriously.

Watch out for speed cameras on the A77, static, van and average speed are all used. The latter are easy to forget as its about 6 miles from the start to the end of the zone, and I think there are two sets.

Don't really know many places that are a must see but there are caves on the coast (south towards Ballantrae) which used to be home to Sawney Bean and his incestuous family who spent their spare time barbequing unwary travellers. Again used to be great fishing of the rocks further south but haven't tried it for years.

Would I go for a weekend, Yes.

landmarker
19-Jan-06, 19:55
thanks cuddlepop.
Trip called into question now but I'm itching to get away somewhere and theres a hundred quid stashed which we wont miss for B & B/Petrol and a night in the pub !