PDA

View Full Version : No county for old men...?

percy toboggan
23-Oct-08, 16:54
A poster called me an old man' yesterday.
That's rich I thought. 'Cause I'm only 57 like!

It's the first time I remember being addressed as such but I supose I'd better get used to it.

Anyway, it started me thinking of the age mix in this forum.
Considering the alternatives being regarded as old is preferable to being dead. And actually, some of my favourite people are, and were 'old men'

So, which bracket do you fall into?
If this has been done before I apologise .

The vote involves a poll...with no offence intended for other Eastern European groups, homophonic English is at fault here.

Gizmo
23-Oct-08, 16:57
I'm 37, but my body thinks it's somewhere closer to 60 :(

northener
23-Oct-08, 17:08
I'm touching nearly 50..which is a bit naughty as I live in a built-up area.

joxville
23-Oct-08, 17:11
An age-ist poll percy! What about those over 110 yrs old?

I'm touching 44 but she'll wake up soon! [lol]

bobandag16
23-Oct-08, 17:14
I'm 37, but my body thinks it's somewhere closer to 60 :(
iam 88 treated as 8 year old body giving up why mind active .it was said i need a new space suit cannot find one on e bay

mccaugm
23-Oct-08, 17:16
I am 37 and in my head am around 25. Would not want to be a teenager and am currently dreading 40 bar the fact that hubby has promised to take us on a fabulous holiday minus the children...:lol:

percy toboggan
23-Oct-08, 17:23
An age-ist poll percy! What about those over 110 yrs old?

I'm touching 44 but she'll wake up soon! [lol]

Oh blimey! I'm age-ist now?
add it to the list
:roll::lol:

hotrod4
23-Oct-08, 17:28
I am "ONLY" 38 , So I am senior to Gizmo and mcaugum but Junior to Northerner, Joxville and Percy, So that makes me feel better!!! [lol]
Those darn youngsters better no come on here and make me more "senior" ;)

percy toboggan
23-Oct-08, 17:30
I am 37 and in my head am around 25. Would not want to be a teenager and am currently dreading 40 bar the fact that hubby has promised to take us on a fabulous holiday minus the children...:lol:

A late night chat with friends recently had us musing what age we'd have liked to have 'stopped' at , we it possible. Frozen in time as it were.
I chose 37. 1988, With a thirteen year old Son and a Daughter doing her 'O' levels I can remember thinking this was as good as it got. Not young anymore but with a modicum of nouse. Fit as a flea playing tennis and squash regularly. An old banger on the drive, a wife in her prime.Thatcher was the only blot.

I was never 25 in my head, not even when I was 25 ! Always thought 'older' I think and come to think of it I'd probably vote for Maggie now !

Growing older is not so bad., but the most intriguing bit is looking in the mirror and seeing your father.
(that's my father, not yours....oh...you know what I mean :D)

jings00
23-Oct-08, 17:32
i was forty on monday, and i dinna give a toss. ye canny change it can ye? jist another day, after all :-)

joxville
23-Oct-08, 17:32
An old banger on the drive, a wife in her prime.)

I'm glad you didn't get those two mixed up. :D

percy toboggan
23-Oct-08, 17:38
I'm glad you didn't get those two mixed up. :D

you are a wag joxy old boy. ;)

joxville
23-Oct-08, 17:39
A late night chat with friends recently had us musing what age we'd have liked to have 'stopped' at , we it possible. Frozen in time as it were.
I chose 37. 1988, With a thirteen year old Son and a Daughter doing her 'O' levels I can remember thinking this was as good as it got. Not young anymore but with a modicum of nouse. Fit as a flea playing tennis and squash regularly. An old banger on the drive, a wife in her prime.Thatcher was the only blot.

I was never 25 in my head, not even when I was 25 ! Always thought 'older' I think and come to think of it I'd probably vote for Maggie now !

Growing older is not so bad., but the most intriguing bit is looking in the mirror and seeing your father.
(that's my father, not yours....oh...you know what I mean :D)

If I had to choose a year to stick at I would have chosen 1988 as well. Aged 23, my first summer of living in England, long and hot it was too. Met some great people, had a fabulous year, so many brilliant memories from that time. Met my future ex-wife too!! :D

The downside is my son would never have been born.:~(

floyed
23-Oct-08, 17:47
Well i am 27:Razz

TBH
23-Oct-08, 17:51
Oh blimey! I'm age-ist now?
add it to the list
:roll::lol:Would that be the 'ist list'?

TBH
23-Oct-08, 17:53
I am "ONLY" 38 , So I am senior to Gizmo and mcaugum but Junior to Northerner, Joxville and Percy, So that makes me feel better!!! [lol]
Those darn youngsters better no come on here and make me more "senior" ;)
I thought you were much younger than that, Hotrod.

lynne duncan
23-Oct-08, 17:55
i loved 1988 was 17 then and the music was brilliant, the booze and crack was fantastic.

but 25 is how old my brain has stuck at, though by birth i'm now 37 as well (think there is a trend to the age of the orgers who are replying here)

but according to the bairns when i am in the swimming pool trying to chuck them off the floats then their age and when i get a fit of the giggles then definitely their age

attempting to run up the blackstairs then definitely makes me feel ancient

arana negra
23-Oct-08, 18:02
I was 53 a few weeks ago and feel ancient right now :( colliding with a wall is NOT a good idea.

hotrod4
If I had to choose a year to stick at I would have chosen 1988 as well. Aged 23, my first summer of living in England, long and hot it was too. Met some great people, had a fabulous year, so many brilliant memories from that time. Met my future ex-wife too!! :D

The downside is my son would never have been born(

88 was a good year for me too. Was staying In England then too and remember the heat then in Dover ,it wer hot I tells ya :)
Plus I was frequenting Illegal raves and it was awesome, I think thats why they labelled it as "the summer of love 2" ;)

Thumper
I am 39 but somedays I feel 19 and others I feel like 90 but then again we all have days like that dont we?If I could stay at any age I think it would be 25 but only because I was inbetween husbands at that time and happier for it ;) x

hotrod4
23-Oct-08, 18:04
I thought you were much younger than that, Hotrod.

Fraid not "old" chap. [lol]
Just out of Interest how old did you think I was?

TBH
23-Oct-08, 18:05
Fraid not "old" chap. [lol]
Just out of Interest how old did you think I was?I thought maybe the 15 to 18 range.

hotrod4
23-Oct-08, 18:05
Would that be the 'ist list'?

I think I am on a few of them myself! [lol]
Georgist,beautifulist,brilliantist,pisart......... .

hotrod4
23-Oct-08, 18:06
I thought maybe the 15 to 18 range.

No way! :(

Sometimes I wish I was :) Though I am a Young 38 as opposed to an Old 38. There is a big difference>

rockchick
23-Oct-08, 18:23
I'm 41 physically...my mental age swings between 16 and 60 I think.

BTW I resent (just a wee bit) being one year into the "older" category. Would have much preferred to be in the last year of the "younger adults"!

joxville
23-Oct-08, 18:30
I am 39 but somedays I feel 19 and others I feel like 90 but then again we all have days like that dont we?If I could stay at any age I think it would be 25 but only because I was inbetween husbands at that time and happier for it ;) x

Who's husband's were you inbetween? [lol]

Happier? I would have thought you were ecstatic!!!

Sapphire2803
23-Oct-08, 18:57
*Slaps Jox for impertinence*

Caithness girls should not be tarred with the same brush as those wanton Hampshire lasses!

silverfox57
23-Oct-08, 19:04
well Percy ,as was born the same year as your self 1951,and worked all my life,
hope the stock market,recovers by9 years ,only think i dislike is the digital cameras
the dam photos seem to make me look older,

joxville
23-Oct-08, 19:07
*Slaps Jox for impertinence*

Caithness girls should not be tarred with the same brush as those wanton Hampshire lasses!

I always left them 'wanton' more. [lol]

Angela
23-Oct-08, 19:35
Yesterday was my birthday and I'm now the same age as percy.:eek:

I'm not unhappy with my age - I don't feel old or how I expected to feel at 57, but I think the age I liked best was between 34 and 38..... :)

percy toboggan
23-Oct-08, 19:55
Yesterday was my birthday and I'm now the same age as percy.:eek:

I'm not unhappy with my age - I don't feel old or how I expected to feel at 57, but I think the age I liked best was between 34 and 38..... :)

There you go Angela...we have so much in common, including our favoured age !

:cool:...happy birthday & welcome to the 'middle ages'!

Thumper
23-Oct-08, 20:01
Who's husband's were you inbetween? [lol]

Happier? I would have thought you were ecstatic!!!

LOL Jox now that would be telling ;) x

gleeber
23-Oct-08, 20:03
It's a sign of the times when you discover your the oldest person in the company.:(
There's no substitute for experience though.:)

Whitewater
23-Oct-08, 21:29
I seem to be about the oldest here, but knowing many of the orgers, I know I have many friends and acquaintances in the same age bracket. I guess '42 was a really good year in Thurso. I had many good friends all the way through school, many whom I still meet regularly, and sadly a surprising number have passed on.

I've been intending to submit a couple of school photos for many years, but never got round to it, I will now. I will look them out over the next day or two and get them to Bill. I have only missed out on one name but I know a couple of orgers who may be able to help.

Tighsonas4
23-Oct-08, 21:42
when i voted in the last bracket i thought for a minute no one else was going to come up [lol]
when they are being polite and say you dont look your age it dosent alter how you feel its something that canna be altered so its a case of get up and go while you can tony

TBH
23-Oct-08, 22:30
when i voted in the last bracket i thought for a minute no one else was going to come up [lol]
when they are being polite and say you dont look your age it dosent alter how you feel its something that canna be altered so its a case of get up and go while you can tonyAt least your get up and go hasn't got up and gone.[lol]

brandy
23-Oct-08, 23:50
im 31 as of this past feb. but oft times i dont feel it. i seem to be stuck at 22 in my head at times. i guess thats because that was the age i was when my whole world changed. (when i came to wick)
its funny, when i was younger i always thought about my age, and how i trembled at getting older.. now that im married for several years have two very energetic boys to run after, and a family to keep together and my job and school .. ect..ect.. i sometimes forget how old i am and have to stop and think... saying that ... i still go on the glider at the park... and swing on the tire swing, and roll down hills, i still sing as im wallking down the street (yes outloud!) i hold hands, i skip, i play silly games with 5 year olds, and other completly random things... so nope dont think i will ever act my age.. until my body stops working ill just be me! (scary as that thought may be!)

Rheghead
23-Oct-08, 23:54
I think the poll proves that we are a load of old grumps with nothing else to do but squeeze out the views of the younger generation on what should be a great platform for their views to be heard.

oldmarine
24-Oct-08, 03:13
I'm 83. If I could switch those numbers around I would be 38, but I guess that won't work will it?

TRUCKER
24-Oct-08, 06:00
I am 44 i feel my age but sometimes dont act it.

hotrod4
24-Oct-08, 06:49
I think the poll proves that we are a load of old grumps with nothing else to do but squeeze out the views of the younger generation on what should be a great platform for their views to be heard.

Dunno,
You seem to be the only one grumping about it!! [lol] Everyone else is grumping about their own age! :)

Gizmo
24-Oct-08, 10:58
I'm just delighted to know that some of the more fossilised orgers in the 66-110 age group are actually able to work a PC, so there's no excuses now for not being able to program that old VCR you have...:lol:

anneoctober
24-Oct-08, 12:17
I'm 83. If I could switch those numbers around I would be 38, but I guess that won't work will it?
I'm up for that ! That makes me 35 !! In our world Oldmarine, time is ageless xx;)

Kenneth
24-Oct-08, 12:24
not braggin but im 19

Tilter
24-Oct-08, 14:28
Percy,
Think positive. You have to have been really lucky in life to be old.

My age? I've got my bus pass. I can go on the bus for free now, but they've taken the blasted toilets off the bus! You certainly can't win :o

rich
24-Oct-08, 15:20
Try this. (Scottish singer of course!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4avWdfjaA&feature=related

Aaldtimer
24-Oct-08, 16:38
I prefer this one! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sMsXFALeGIY&feature=related :)

rich
24-Oct-08, 16:56
But doesn't this one say it all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSufO2FlpAQ

percy toboggan
24-Oct-08, 17:11
I think the thread (& poll) was a useful exercise and thank all who responded. To the nineteen year old, sorry Ive forgotten your name already (age perhaps) I'm really saddened & surprised that there are so few of you relative youngsters in a place like this.

I'm glad so many were not reluctant to reveal their ages, I think it's a bit silly to fight shy of it.

Growing older is brilliant - but only when considered against the alternative. I'm now, too old to die young which was a concern in days gone by. Now I can stop worrying and accept what fate chucks my way. I'll be happy with three score and ten but anymore would be a welcome bonus.

bobandag16
24-Oct-08, 17:25
I seem to be about the oldest here, but knowing many of the orgers, I know I have many friends and acquaintances in the same age bracket. I guess '42 was a really good year in Thurso. I had many good friends all the way through school, many whom I still meet regularly, and sadly a surprising number have passed on.

I've been intending to submit a couple of school photos for many years, but never got round to it, I will now. I will look them out over the next day or two and get them to Bill. I have only missed out on one name but I know a couple of orgers who may be able to help.
had you ask for the oldest menber to come foreword . age when started or is that data protcted./ in hospital i offered an older first go to bath . when i was told you are knocking 90 he is only in his 70 s age is only a birth date

northener
24-Oct-08, 19:34
.....................Growing older is brilliant - but only when considered against the alternative. I'm now, too old to die young which was a concern in days gone by. Now I can stop worrying and accept what fate chucks my way. I'll be happy with three score and ten but anymore would be a welcome bonus.

Percy, I know you like your motorbike, so may I recommend this T-shirt for you. Money goes to the Nat Assn of Bikers with a Disability...a worthy cause indeed:

http://farcanal.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=009990&osCsid=410c19aae8ec440404393261522e5032

Whitewater
24-Oct-08, 20:04
Rich, thanks for the connection, many good song on there, I've been listening to them, not got a particular favourite yet. I'll have to listen to a few more.

Whitewater
24-Oct-08, 20:07
had you ask for the oldest menber to come foreword . age when started or is that data protcted./ in hospital i offered an older first go to bath . when i was told you are knocking 90 he is only in his 70 s age is only a birth date

'bobandag' if you a knocking on 90 you are doing very well. I hope that if I am ever knocking on 90 I will still be posting on the org.

Elenna
24-Oct-08, 22:08
About 2 months ago I had to be admitted to hospital for a few days, and of course, one of the questions that comes up routinely is ones birthdate/age. I have to say that probably the best thing to come out of those 4-5 days in hospital (and a real morale booster) was at least half a dozen people telling me I didn't look anything near as old as I am! :D

Then, a few weeks ago, I took an online quiz, and it said (based on a lot of questions about my health, lifestyle, family health history, etc) that my "True Age" is 32. I thought that probably is about right, so I'll just ignore the additional 15 years! :lol:

ywindythesecond
25-Oct-08, 00:14
Just followed this thread through from the start. It is about young folk thinking they are old and old folk thinking they are young.

Message to young folk:

The old folk are more right than you!

TBH
25-Oct-08, 00:23
Just followed this thread through from the start. It is about young folk thinking they are old and old folk thinking they are young.

Message to young folk:

Old age does not always bring wisdom, maybe those youngsters could teach you a thing or two.:D

JAWS
25-Oct-08, 05:58
As J M Barrie commented, "I am not young enough to know everything."

Oddquine
25-Oct-08, 11:51
As J M Barrie commented, "I am not young enough to know everything."

Did he add "but old enough to think I do"? ;)

Tugmistress
25-Oct-08, 14:09
I'm knocking on the door of 42 but must admit to still thinking i can do stuff i really shouldn't be doing at my age lol, my philosophy is no one ever grows up we just gain more will power lol very true in my case and the will power slips to a nutty teenager sometimes ;)

teenybash
25-Oct-08, 14:48
There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle and while you are listening would you rather eat a rich full bodied mature cheese washed down with a bunch of grapes or a bottle of vintage Champagne ......................;)

Angela
25-Oct-08, 15:00
I feel rather like an onion lol -beneath that superficial top layer, flaking off ever so slightly, are many other different layers that make up 'me', created by the experiences I've lived through at different stages of my life.

The same goes for friends I've known since childhood. :)

Nobody is 'just' an older person even if that's how society perceives them.;)

joxville
25-Oct-08, 15:02
There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle and while you are listening would you rather eat a rich full bodied mature cheese washed down with a bunch of grapes or a bottle of vintage Champagne ......................;)

To put it another way, I'd prefer a refreshing young Asti than a bottle of rancid old vinegar. [lol]

golach
25-Oct-08, 15:57
To put it another way, I'd prefer a refreshing young Asti than a bottle of rancid old vinegar. [lol]
Me too Jox, a refreshing young Signorina of the Asti persuasion, is a very nicer option than an owld Froggie of the gassy vinegar persuasion [lol]

teenybash
25-Oct-08, 17:29

Cheap, cheerful and easily forgotten plus there is always plenty on the supermarket shelf.............:Razz

joxville
25-Oct-08, 19:37
bottle of vintage Champagne ......................;)

Expensive to obtain, soon loses it's fizz & still gives you a nagging headache. [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Oct-08, 21:12
I'm 37.Yeah and i'm proud.The Beatles were before my time,I still love their music.Yer only as young as the woman ye feel,thats fine,she's the same age as me!!!!!:lol::lol:

Ricco
26-Oct-08, 09:18
What an interesting read! And Tuggs, what a wee young spring chicken you are! I shall reach 59 next month but feel around about, hmmmm, 29 I guess. I have always had a young outlook, move with the times. Stayed fit and active. Prefer modern music to classical (Mrs R drives me to despair by listening to Radio 2!) and get out and about as much as possible. Would I want to be younger? No, I don't think so - just look as the things that youngsters have to contend with nowadays. My youth was a good'un and it wouldn't happen these days. :D

Welcomefamily
26-Oct-08, 10:58
Im just 50 ish.

The secret of age is learning to do what a young person does, but using half the energy. ;)

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 15:11

Message to young folk:

Do you think a young person would've done that?
"Meant to press the preview button and had to sort out the spacing" [lol]

Oddquine
28-Oct-08, 01:14
My male offspring tends to describe me as sixty going on sixteen!

Might be something to do with chasing the grandkids on the "jungle gym" (now don't that show my age).....and annoying them mightily with well thought out insults on bebo!

Have to admit, I have often thought the very serious eighteen year old grandson is more grown up than me.

percy toboggan
28-Oct-08, 18:33
....Have to admit, I have often thought the very serious eighteen year old grandson is more grown up than me.

I'll bear this in mind the next time you attempt to villify me on a serious topic.

Ashes
29-Oct-08, 11:14
We're in the lead !

golach
29-Oct-08, 11:39
We're in the lead !
LOL, the over Forty's rule!!!!! [lol]