PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Fuel Prices

COACHMAN
23-Oct-08, 13:48
Today at 13.00 hrs Tesco Prices were Dearer than Dunnets Garage in Wick.
Tesco Wick.
U/L 103.9
Derv 114.9
Dunnets Wick
U/L 101.9
Derv 111.9
YetTesco in Inverness are only -97.9 fOR U/L and 109.9 for DERV

northener
23-Oct-08, 13:53
But Tescos are my friends...they supply all manner of shiny things and strange fruit............plus 5p a litre off for spending there.

I'm sure the price will drop.

Seriously though, I've just had a week down in deepest, darkest Englandshire and the prices were around the same as up here (then).

bekisman
23-Oct-08, 13:56
I think it's because they've (Tesco) got their 'spend 50 quid and get 5p off a litre', but it's not good to be shown up by the locals..

northener
23-Oct-08, 13:57
I think it's because they've (Tesco) got their 'spend 50 quid and get 5p off a litre', but it's not good to be shown up by the locals..

Yeah but, no but, Tesco's have always had the '5p off' offer..I bet they catch uo soon.

telfordstar
23-Oct-08, 14:05
At 1600 exactly yesterday

Morrisons in inverness 97.9p
Tescos in inverness 97.9p

Just to let you know.

mr do dar
23-Oct-08, 14:29
tesco will be giving the locals a chance to get money before xmas lol
the company said a long time ago it likes working with the locals lol

hopefully they drop so low it closed dunnets like elm tree
if tesco was not there they would be riping the pockets off us

Mizpah
23-Oct-08, 15:33
tesco will be giving the locals a chance to get mony before xmas lol
the company said a long time ago it likes working with the locals lol

And I say here, here, to that to they would have fleeced us by now big time, just look at the difference in Thurso.

henry20
23-Oct-08, 15:44

What a load of rubbish!! If these garages were 'ripping the pockets'' off people, then they wouldn't have to close now they've had to lower prices. They priced the fuel to allow them to cover wages and make a profit - like any sensible business would. Now that Tesco's are here, they've had to lower the profit margin to a point that it is costing more in wages than the profit generated.

Tesco's can afford to do it as the chances are you will do a shop while you are there! The food sales support the forecourt.

Kevin Milkins
23-Oct-08, 16:44
At 1600 exactly yesterday

Morrisons in inverness 97.9p
Tescos in inverness 97.9p

Just to let you know.

Is the 99.9p quote for Tesco including the 5 pence a ltr discount for spending over £50-00 in store?

bekisman
23-Oct-08, 17:15
No, yesterday I paid 92.9p Unleaded (with the 5p off) so it's as above

telfordstar
23-Oct-08, 18:03
No, yesterday I paid 92.9p Unleaded (with the 5p off) so it's as above

yip hes right it was 97.9p on board as you drive into pumps.

hotrod4
23-Oct-08, 18:17
Today at 13.00 hrs Tesco Prices were Dearer than Dunnets Garage in Wick.
Tesco Wick.
U/L 103.9
Derv 114.9
Dunnets Wick
U/L 101.9
Derv 111.9
YetTesco in Inverness are only -97.9 fOR U/L and 109.9 for DERV

When I passed Dunnets today they were 107.9 per litre for Petrol?

mr do dar
23-Oct-08, 18:38
[quote=henry20;449130]What a load of rubbish!! If these garages were 'ripping the pockets'' off people, then they wouldn't have to close now they've had to lower prices. tere starting to close now in wick 2 if i rember right and if tesco get one in thurso it will do the same over there . its about time we got the same as south instead of the local s lifting our legs knowing had to pay for it .

and yes i do support the local before that one starts

northener
23-Oct-08, 19:09

Maybe Coachman is doing a bit of dishonest advertising on behalf of Dunnets.:Razz

Caithness's answer to Arfur Daley?

"Nah, Sir..I never said a quid an' a penny for unleaded. You must have misheard me, mate..it's the noise from all these sheep bleating that causes it...I've tried complaining to the council but they ain't interested in honest blokes like you an' me. Can I interest you in a low mileage mondeo?"[smirk]

Rheghead
23-Oct-08, 19:12
Tesco's can afford to do it as the chances are you will do a shop while you are there! The food sales support the forecourt.

Don't the food sales support the forecourt at the other fuel outlets as well?

Mik.M.
23-Oct-08, 19:18
Maybe Coachman is doing a bit of dishonest advertising on behalf of Dunnets.:Razz

Caithness's answer to Arfur Daley?

"Nah, Sir..I never said a quid an' a penny for unleaded. You must have misheard me, mate..it's the noise from all these sheep bleating that causes it...I've tried complaining to the council but they ain't interested in honest blokes like you an' me. Can I interest you in a low mileage mondeo?"[smirk]
You forgot to add the," it`s only £1500 dearer than the Inverness Dealerships" line:lol:

northener
23-Oct-08, 19:20
You forgot to add the," it`s only £1500 dearer than the Inverness Dealerships" line:lol:

Oooh, dont get me started on that - or warranty work.......

liz19
23-Oct-08, 19:24
I fuelled up there today and paid 101.9 a ltr for petrol?! :confused

COACHMAN
23-Oct-08, 19:31
ASDA fuel has just be dropped to 94.0 for Unleaded and 107.9 for Derv and will be at that level for the next ten days.
If Councillor S**** had not Blocked ASDA Cheap fuel would of been in Caithness

wkgeorge
23-Oct-08, 21:15
Is the 5p off price still on because I was refused this on Sunday 19th October at Wick

Kevin Milkins
23-Oct-08, 21:41
Is the 5p off price still on because I was refused this on Sunday 19th October at Wick

I Think it started Monday:confused

Rheghead
24-Oct-08, 00:30
OPEC are gonna cut production to raise prices at the pumps, I think we should just refuse to buy petrol and diesel on sheer bloody-minded principle. We can walk or go by bus, bike, trains etc.

henry20
24-Oct-08, 08:23
tere starting to close now in wick 2 if i rember right and if tesco get one in thurso it will do the same over there . its about time we got the same as south instead of the local s lifting our legs knowing had to pay for it .

and yes i do support the local before that one starts

When you know facts on how much petrol costs and how little margin is on it, then I will start to take your comments seriously. When fuel COSTS the same up here to buy in as south, then you can expect similar prices. As it costs more to the garages to buy in than it is selling in Inverness, this will never happen. This is FACT!!!

Don't the food sales support the forecourt at the other fuel outlets as well?

When did Elm tree or Lochshell ever have a 'food outlet'? Other than minimal sweet sales, all their income would be from fuel sales!

Rheghead
24-Oct-08, 10:01
When did Elm tree or Lochshell ever have a 'food outlet'? Other than minimal sweet sales, all their income would be from fuel sales!

Exactly, so a food/newspaper outlet is needed to support the forecourt, as the majority of the surviving garages now have.:roll:

bekisman
24-Oct-08, 10:42
Henry 20: "When you know facts on how much petrol costs and how little margin is on it, then I will start to take your comments seriously. When fuel COSTS the same up here to buy in as south, then you can expect similar prices. As it costs more to the garages to buy in than it is selling in Inverness, this will never happen. This is FACT!!!
Fair enough there will be a difference between what the retailer buys it for up here, but it has always surprised me how Thurso; quite a small town yet it has four filling stations;Pennyland. Dunnets, Bridgend and Richards, now basic economics would dictate that if there is such a plethora of stations with, I quote: 'little margin' why do they bother?
It is worth noting that "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." *1..
"all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices!". *2 July, 2005
Is the mark up from Inverness really that much?, come come..

*1 http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2 (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2)
*2 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm)

henry20
24-Oct-08, 11:36
Exactly, so a food/newspaper outlet is needed to support the forecourt, as the majority of the surviving garages now have.:roll:

I'm not talking about the odd newspaper or milk sale! I'm talking supermarket sales supporting the forecourt.

Until their is a national pricing scheme - where petrol costs and selling prices are the same nationwide, everyone will worngly assume that it is the small forecourts that are overpricing. :roll:

COACHMAN
24-Oct-08, 12:49
Petrol stations that sell the Gleaner Brand are working on a margin of 0.029 pence per litre and a rebate of 0.006 per litre .
Out of this has to come wages and all the site costs so without a large shop to support the income a stand alone petrol station will not work.
Many more sites in the Highlands will close due to the low margins and the cost involved in fitting Vapour Recovery systems which have to be in place before 2010.
Out of all the sites in Caithness only Tesco have the Vapour Recovery fitted.

henry20
24-Oct-08, 13:24
Finally, someone using facts, knowledge and logic with regards to this issue!! Thanks Coachman

riggerboy
24-Oct-08, 14:10
Petrol stations that sell the Gleaner Brand are working on a margin of 0.029 pence per litre and a rebate of 0.006 per litre .
Out of this has to come wages and all the site costs so without a large shop to support the income a stand alone petrol station will not work.
Many more sites in the Highlands will close due to the low margins and the cost involved in fitting Vapour Recovery systems which have to be in place before 2010.
Out of all the sites in Caithness only Tesco have the Vapour Recovery fitted.

how much petrol does a tanker carry ?????

henry20
24-Oct-08, 14:19
how much petrol does a tanker carry ?????

That is irrelavent - unless you are tying to prove that Gleaner are the ones doing the ripping off!

riggerboy
24-Oct-08, 14:27
That is irrelavent - unless you are tying to prove that Gleaner are the ones doing the ripping off!

irrelavent to what ???? you dont know why i am asking the question so how can you assume its irrelavant,

so carrying along without the ass umtion of henry20 does anyone know how much the tanker carrys ?????

COACHMAN
24-Oct-08, 15:23
irrelavent to what ???? you dont know why i am asking the question so how can you assume its irrelavant,

so carrying along without the ass umtion of henry20 does anyone know how much the tanker carrys ?????

Depends on the Tanker if is a four wheeler a six or eight wheeler or an artic.
In Caithness it is usually a six wheeler which will carry 22000 ltrs.
So by taking in 20000 Litres you end up with a profit of £580.00 at the margin of 0.029ppl to pay wages and other costs
NOT a lot.
Also the fuel is paid for on Delivery and you have to wait up to Ten days for payment for Card sales.
Easy to see why margins of 10p are being used in Thurso before the Tescos of this world arrive
The figures do not add up for Petrol sites without a reasonable size shop to cross profit lines

northener
24-Oct-08, 15:26
The figure of around 30,000ltrs sticks in my mind from somewhere. That would equate to 30 tonnes net. Add on a few tonnes for the tractor unit and tanker trailer and you'll be up to around the max GVW for a HGV.

Coachman, Percy or Trucker will probably know the correct figures - but i don't think I'm far out.

Snailer
25-Oct-08, 20:02
Tesco 99.9p/l at 7.00 pm Saturday evening 25 Oct

telfordstar
26-Oct-08, 16:00
TESCO 99.9P

DUNNETS 101.9P

SUNDAY 26TH OCT 2008 1100HRS

god i love petrol price watching

bekisman
26-Oct-08, 16:27
Just been 1pm 26th Oct, to Tesco's and topped up; 99.9p unleaded (we used our 5p off so 94.9p a litre) Diesel £112.9, Dunnets still £101.9 for unleaded..

trix
26-Oct-08, 17:30
i da drive yet....soon tho, but by jings 'e price o petrol is no half goin up an doon :eek:

Kodiak
26-Oct-08, 17:48
I was chattiing to a friend about petrol prices and we both could remember when it cost 5/6 (five shillings and six pence) a Gallon.

That works out at 5p a Litre in today's money.

This does make petrol sound expensive but if you take it in context of what you could buy back then and now, say MARS Bars.

You could buy 17 MARS Bars with 2d change ie 4d each Bar. To buy 17 MARS Bars today would cost £9.35, ie 17 X £0.55 as 55p was the price the last time I bought one.

So in reality the price of petrol is not doing too bad at just about £5.00 per Gallon.

But on saying that i still think petrol is too expensive.

hotrod4
26-Oct-08, 18:17
In Dingwall the price of unleaded at Tesco is 94.9 which is 5p cheaper than Wick.
Dont know if they are doing the "5p off" thing though, but thats still cheap for people who DONT shop at Tesco!

mineheadray
30-Oct-08, 19:45
Down here in deepest Somerset, I live in an out-of-the-way town called Minehead. We only have two petrol stations - one of which is Tesco's. The two collude over prices, as they are 99% of the time identical. The thing that annoys me most is that Tesco's invariably charge 5p more per litre than in their large superstores, where there are loads of other petrol stations. They have us over a barrel here.........the current price for unleaded is 99.9p/litre.:( How does this compare with Caithness?

Kodiak
30-Oct-08, 19:55
I just filled my tank at Tesco. The price for Unleaded was 99.9p a Litre less 5p per Litre as I had spent over £50.00 of Spopping. So I paid 94.9p per Litre.

Still needs to come down though and hopefully it will be less than this soon.

Welcomefamily
30-Oct-08, 20:50
Down here in deepest Somerset, I live in an out-of-the-way town called Minehead. We only have two petrol stations - one of which is Tesco's. The two collude over prices, as they are 99% of the time identical. The thing that annoys me most is that Tesco's invariably charge 5p more per litre than in their large superstores, where there are loads of other petrol stations. They have us over a barrel here.........the current price for unleaded is 99.9p/litre.:( How does this compare with Caithness?

Welcome to the org, Minehead is hardy an out of the way town, its winter population is more than Thurso and its summer one is a lot more. Plus its only a little way down the road from a real hill (Porlock 1:4) :) and the start of exmoor. Fishing is not a lot of cop there either.
I paid 97 less 5p today at 2.00pm.