PDA

View Full Version : Blood Donors needed - Thurso, 21 Oct

Murdina Bug
20-Oct-08, 11:40
The Blood Donor service will be in Thurso on Tuesday 21st October at the Royal British Legion from 14:00-16:00 and 17:00-20:00. Please make an effort to attend as there is a real shortage of donors at the moment. If you have never given then please go along and try - it doesn't hurt and is really worthwhile!

You never know - you, or someone you love, might need blood products in the future and wouldn't it be nice to know that you had already contributed? I'm never above using a bit of emotional blackmail!:D

Can someone who knows how make this 'sticky' at the top of the board until the end of tomorrow please?

lagertops
20-Oct-08, 13:40
Bump: I'm going along to give them a pint of my finest.

balto
20-Oct-08, 14:12
normally i go every time, but i am currently 33 wks pregnant so unable to go, but as soon as i can i will be back again.

Ash
20-Oct-08, 14:29
im gonna go
been wanting to do it for a long time now
my wee one was prem and received 4 blood transfusions so wanna give something back

_Ju_
20-Oct-08, 14:43
I'm glad your baby did well and had the blood he/she needed, Ash.:)

Bear in mind you have to wait after having a baby to be able to donate. Back home it was 6 months after stopping Breast feeding or a year after birth, if you didn't Breast feed. Here I think it might be 9 months after birth.

Take care.:D

Ash
20-Oct-08, 15:16
I'm glad your baby did well and had the blood he/she needed, Ash.:)

Bear in mind you have to wait after having a baby to be able to donate. Back home it was 6 months after stopping Breast feeding or a year after birth, if you didn't Breast feed. Here I think it might be 9 months after birth.

Take care.:D

oh she is 4 and a half now, everytime ive wanted to go somethings come up or im ill, so hopefully should make

badger
20-Oct-08, 16:22
That's interesting. I had to miss the Wick session as wasn't well and was waiting for a card about Thurso but haven't had one (they usually try me twice because of my blood group). Sadly won't be able to do this either as now have a cold. Don't like missing it but sometimes just can't be helped.

Murdina Bug
20-Oct-08, 17:48
It is very frustrating when you want to donate but are not able to make that particular day. Along with the usual reminder card I also got a letter from the transfusion service asking people to please make an effort to attend as they find this is the time of year when people go less and less (with half terms, dark nights etc). It was for this reason that I put this note on the Org. However, I did also email the SNBTS to suggest that if they were able to increase the length of the sessions and number of days they were in this area it would encourage more to attend. I also asked if it would be possible for donate by appointment sessions to be set up at the Dunbar and Caithness General.

Any session that I have attended in Wick or Thurso has always been well attended but I have known some walk out because they just could not afford the time it was taking to get taken for your donation. If they want more donors I think they need to really improve the service!

the charlatans
20-Oct-08, 22:59
For those thinking about going tomorrow - please do, I was on the receiving end of blood donation this summer and can only thank you for something that I cannot do in return anymore.
It doesn't hurt that much - honest guv, and you get a nice cup of tea or juice at the other end.
Cheers.

balto
22-Oct-08, 10:14
so did a lot of people turn up yesterday, hopefully they did. i unfortunatly have to wait unto next oct to give again, but i will definatly be going back.

Murdina Bug
22-Oct-08, 10:27
It was packed out! One of the nurses said that they didn't think they would get away until 10pm and it had been busy all day. Such a pity they don't have a longer session.

Anyway - well done to all those that made it out on such a horrible night to give their donation.

balto
22-Oct-08, 10:30
It was packed out! One of the nurses said that they didn't think they would get away until 10pm and it had been busy all day. Such a pity they don't have a longer session.

Anyway - well done to all those that made it out on such a horrible night to give their donation.
definatly a big pat on the back to all theose that made the effort as murdina bug said on such a horriable night.