PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Toasted Sandwich

connieb19
16-Jan-06, 23:51
What's your favourite filling for a toasted Sandwich?
Is it better in the George Forman, under the grill or a toastie machine?

My personal favourites are cheese, onion and tatties....
or bacon, cheese and basil...YUM!!!!!
Made in the toastie machine!! :o)

Rheghead
17-Jan-06, 00:01
Egg and baked bean. It is a struggle to get it all in but well worth the hassle.:grin:

angela5
17-Jan-06, 00:03
Plain Cheese toastie for me done in the toastie machine. yum!

garycs
17-Jan-06, 00:06
Smoked salmon (the cheap packs of "trimmings" are perfect) mixed with finely chopped onion and tomato, add an egg and some black pepper, mix together well. I prefer it in thick sliced wholemeal bread.

I like the crunchy crust you get from using a Breville type doobrie, but can be expensive as I once broke a molar eating a toastie.

Astra
17-Jan-06, 00:09
Turkey ! ...

connieb19
17-Jan-06, 00:12
Turkey ! ...Especially with stuffing...mm, or mince and tatties!!:D

Jeid
17-Jan-06, 00:16
cheese and beans in a toastie maker. messy and very hot.

pedromcgrory
17-Jan-06, 00:16
bolognase we cheese ,tuna is ok ,beans and cheese theres no limit but toastie machine is better than george

jjc
17-Jan-06, 00:19
Before I became a vegetarian, my favourite toasted sandwich was corned beef and baked beans done in a toastie machine.

These days I just love an open-topped, toasted ciabatta with cranberry sauce and brie melted across the top. Yummmmmm :D

lassieinfife
17-Jan-06, 00:40
mmm either peanutbutter or cheese n beetroot

golach
17-Jan-06, 00:57

A George Forman makes the most "Fandabydozy" toasties, my wee cuz Changielass bought me one as a prezzie, I will be forever in her debt now.
My fav recipe is Greggs wholemeal granary sliced loaf with a meat an cheese filling but "Baxters Tomato Chutney" added

spiggie
17-Jan-06, 01:03
Tuna and Cheese or ham and cheese.....mmmmmmmmm

angela5
17-Jan-06, 01:06
This thread is making me hungry:eyes i really should living up my cheese toastie and stick a bit of beetroot in it..or tomato chutney.roll on tomorrow lunch-time i'm going to push the boat out.:lol:

teddybear1873
17-Jan-06, 01:06
Strong cheedar cheese with Lea and Perrins or with English mustard..lovely jubbly

Astra
17-Jan-06, 01:24
This thread is making me hungry:eyes i really should living up my cheese toastie and stick a bit of beetroot in it..or tomato chutney.roll on tomorrow lunch-time i'm going to push the boat out.:lol:
or turkey ....... lol

angela5
17-Jan-06, 01:25
or turkey ....... lol

No your manky turkey anyway..[para]

theone
17-Jan-06, 02:31

Never tried tatties, I suppose you mean leftover boiled ones? Surely you can't put a raw sliced one in????

For me cheese,ham,onion and tomato. Gotta be in the toastie machine, big george doesn't seal the edges!

The Angel Of Death
17-Jan-06, 03:07
Corned beef and mustard

Lasagne (nearly broke the machine with that one)

Hotdogs tomato sauce and mustard

Pizza

Any type of cold meat tomato sauce / mustard / chilli sauce

infact i will put almost anything in between 2 slices of bread and toast it on the george

Im hungry now

paris
17-Jan-06, 03:09
Anything.. just love a toastie !

scotsboy
17-Jan-06, 05:14
Used to drink in a pub in South Shields which did Curry toasties - they were excellent. If making a toastie myself it is usually because I want something quick so it is normally cheese and pickle.

JJC I notice you have become a vegetarian. Can I be so bold as to ask the reason/s behind the decision?

Fesman
17-Jan-06, 07:53
In a machine.... we call them Quickzee irons.... I like left over steak and kidney stew with egg.

Under the grill... I beat grated cheddar with egg and chopped onion and pile it on bread (toasted one side already) that has been smeared with either Marmite or some type of chutney.

In the frying pan.... Cheese, ham, tomato and onion (all sliced) is best, between two slices of thick white bread that have been dipped in a mixture of egg and milk.

All the above must have a sprinkling of coarse ground black pepper. Salt is optional... I don't use it, but some people must :)

wicker
17-Jan-06, 10:36
When i worked in thrumster the most popular one that i made there was haggis toasties

Fesman
17-Jan-06, 11:17
When i worked in thrumster the most popular one that i made there was haggis toasties

I wondered when ... or if.... someone would mention Haggis.

I'm one of those unfortunate souls who has never had the opportunity to try it, but if Haggis is good enough to go in a toastie, I shall seek it out. :)

sjr014
17-Jan-06, 13:08
In a small cafe in Lerwick, we had chicken tikka and cheese toasties and they were divine!!!!

Tymey
17-Jan-06, 13:11

I love tuna mayo and cheese or black pepper spam and cheese done in either the George Forman or Rosemary Conley machine.....delish. I'm hungry now.

jjc
17-Jan-06, 13:37
JJC I notice you have become a vegetarian. Can I be so bold as to ask the reason/s behind the decision? Of course you can. There are a few answers:

1) My fiancee is a vegetarian so it was very 'awkward' for me to eat meat anyway.
2) I read some eye-opening books and saw some shocking documentaries about the negative effects of modern farming-techniques on my health.
3) I read some eye-opening books and saw some shocking documentaries about the negative effects of modern farming-techniques on the animals being slaughtered.
4) I tried it for a month and found that I felt so much better for it that it just stuck.

Cheers,

JJC

scotsboy
17-Jan-06, 13:49
I did a 3 day fruit detox once and felt terrible for the first two day - see after a week I felt fantastic.
Not considering going veggie as I like meat too much......but realy dont eat that much of it (the red variety anyway) these days.
Must be much easier being veggie these days with the variety in supermarkets etc.

lorr_mun14
17-Jan-06, 13:58
Smoked bacon and crunchy peanut butter toastie in the GF grill is great, sounds orrible, but it's lovely.

connieb19
17-Jan-06, 21:00
Has anyone tried those new toastie bags? :cool:

krieve
17-Jan-06, 21:09
Cheese and ham in the GF mmmm yum yum

connieb19
17-Jan-06, 21:11
Black pudding with hp sauce..... yummy !!!

Doolally
17-Jan-06, 23:44
Everyone seems to have very exotic tastes. I'll stick with my cheese and spring onion.

Wizzbang
18-Jan-06, 00:11
Liver Pate and worcester sauce

Chillie
18-Jan-06, 16:57
Second day left over fray Bentos Steak and Ale pie done in the toastie machine:lol:

connieb19
18-Jan-06, 22:31
Second day left over fray Bentos Steak and Ale pie done in the toastie machine:lol:You're in luck then Chillie, the pies are buy one get one free in Somerfield just now!! :o)

suzy
19-Jan-06, 15:02
Banana all squashed up with a layer of lemon curd on top.. Delishh..

Donnie
19-Jan-06, 15:10
A Grated Cheese and Ham Sarnie squeezed together and then stuck in a normal toaster. Leave it in just long enough to toast the bread but not melt the cheese. Perfection.