PDA

View Full Version : Julia Bradbury's 'Railway Walks' ( + BBC 4)

percy toboggan
19-Oct-08, 14:40
Well, it's been a moderately enjoyable Sunday. I managed to fit the last of the three new wheels (thanks e.bay) to the auld Audi - she's looking much bonnier now, and I even invested in some 'tyre black' to tart up me sidewalls - smashin'.

I've 'lost' so much money on my recent stock market punt she'll have to carry us forward for the next five years at least !:roll:

I'm now sat here under the stairs nursing a bottle of 'Old Bob' Suffolk Ale, satisfying at 5.1% abv. A taste of old England, what could be finer? Aside from a further taste of old Scotland, not a lot. I have a supply of Twisted Thistle Ale chilling outside in the back porch!

So, I turn my mind to televisual highlights.

Have you yet caught on to the charm and interest offered as an alternative by the wonderful BBC 4 channel? Surely the best thing to come out of the digital age...unless you count prose from Percy ! (and you probably don't)

The estimable Julia Bradbury (the better looking one of the 'Watchdog' duo) has began a new series of 'Railway Walks' in which she is exploring the routes of dis-used railway lines throughout Britain - she's in Speyside on Thursday night - lucky woman.

This long legged lass is most personable, I likes the cut of her jib, and her walking gear. Her fitness and persistence make me envious. I can't walk as well as she can at the moment. It's a gift we can take for granted. The scenery off the well worn and beaten tracks can be stupendous at times and the way Bradbury takes it in her stride whilst revelling in the beauty and understated splendour of it hits all the right notes for me.

BBC 4 have - for weeks now- been dwelling on a Railway theme. I like it. Even an interview with the notorious Dr.Beeching (who decimated the branch line network in the sixties) held me in thrall. I'm glad to say I've recorded much of the train prog content. and if you've not seen 'Absolutely Chuffed' do your best to do so, it's repeated regularly.Some guys decided to build a brand new steam engine eighteen years ago and it has recently been completed. What a stirring sight.

I'm no steam anorak, but I do hanker for that lost age which the steam train represents. A trait I share with many of a similar vintage.

If you enjoy travelogues, and wonder what happened to all those tracks, viaducts and cuttings catch up with Bradbury if you can. You'll have to go some mind.

percy toboggan
21-Oct-08, 19:22
bumped:
It's on again tonight - in ten minutes.
Cornwall this time Speyside on Thursday.